All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Re: 2022

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Lamenting Actions wrote: September 9, 2021, 10:52 am
legend wrote: September 7, 2021, 4:11 pm I was thinking the Tigers as well.

I would have taken a flyer on Tariq Sims before re-signing Soliola. He would be a great bench impact player for us. Much better than Whitehead.

As far as players being available for November, that's for 2023, not next year. We could be in for a real lean year next year.
They have the Raiders as the number one likely destination in the article. Probably unlikely to happen though.

Five potential landing spots for Tariq Sims

I don't believe the Raiders roster is settled for 2022. Far from it. I also don't believe the Raiders ever really replaced the brilliant John Bateman. Sims is the exact kind of player Canberra needs. He runs straight and he hits hard.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/five-potenti ... -109541/5/
Very professional player. At the right price he'd be a very good addition to the squad.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I agree with Sims - but emphasis on the right price. He doesn't really do it at club level compared to his NSW games but currently better than Whitehead IMO.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Sims- I have my concerns. Age being one. His defence- not his tackling- but his defence was at least as leaky as Whiteheads this year, has an error in him (again like current Whitehead or worse).

So as an edge- maybe not. As a middle- yeah ok. But not paid like a star because he's just not anymore.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

On the numbers For and Against comparing 2019 and 2021 (where 24 premiership games were played - only 20 games in 2020).
2019 For - 524 and 2021 For - 481 a difference of 43 points over the season.
2019 Against - 374 and 2021 Against - 578 a difference of 204 points over the season.

I understand the arguments about Vlandy's ball changing the game, but we have regressed both with and without the ball. Most notably though is when we do not have the football. We have not adapted well to the changes in the game.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Apparently the NRL Physio was talking about Ash Taylor on NRL 360 last night. He has a dodgey hip.

I think I'd stick a line through him at any price now. Not interested in busted players.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

RedRaider wrote: September 15, 2021, 7:12 am On the numbers For and Against comparing 2019 and 2021 (where 24 premiership games were played - only 20 games in 2020).
2019 For - 524 and 2021 For - 481 a difference of 43 points over the season.
2019 Against - 374 and 2021 Against - 578 a difference of 204 points over the season.

I understand the arguments about Vlandy's ball changing the game, but we have regressed both with and without the ball. Most notably though is when we do not have the football. We have not adapted well to the changes in the game.
Crash ball hodgo and kick early Sam are the reasons imo.
We don't run set plays or let our backs go with some space..
Very un raider like, and defence has regressed also, we used to slide well back in the day
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I feel that in the current V'Landysball era going with a team that has a strong bench is a huge advantage. As we are currently constructed I feel our best bench would be;

14. Starling
15. Rapana
16. Tapine
17. Young

Tapine is our 2nd best Prop but another poster suggested splitting him and Papalii - which I agree with (provided we get the OK from Mrs. Tapine of course). And for mine Sutton does his best work in the first 20-30 minutes.

I have Rapana as bench utility which leaves a large hole in our outside backs so for mine signing a bench utility would be something I'd priortise. Internally we could develop Kris in this role if we didn't sign anyone. Peachey would be ideal to bring into the squad.

Young on the bench leaves us short a starting backrower. Do we currently have a young guy who could fill that role in Round 1 2022? I haven't seen anything to indicate the coaching staff feel anybody is ready. So we need a 13, 12 or 11 (depending where Whitehead plays). The only two players I see as options would be Sims or I. Papali'i.

And, clearly we need a 7. Fogarty appears the likely option now. I personally still prefer Brown but dollars wise we would have a better chance at upgrading the bench utility and backrow spots with Fogarty.

So with that said, I'm down for us making the following moves for next year;

OUT - Aekins, Lui, James, Sia, Havili, Scott, Williams
INS - Fogarty, Sims, Peachey, Hazelton

Then promoting players internally into the top 30.

That would have us headed into 2022 with the following list.

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Xavier Savage
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Tariq Sims
13. Elliott Whitehead

14. Tom Starling
15. Tyrone Peachey
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Hudson Young

18. Sebastian Kris

Backs - Elijah Anderson, Jarrod Croker, Matt Frawley, Brad Schneider, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei

Forwards - Emre Guler, Tom Hazelton, Corey Horsburgh, Trey Mooney, Harry Rushton, Adrian Trevilyan

You could maybe swap a few players names from our squad if you preferred Medlyn, Hopoate or Webb, etc.

I think that team would be a Top 8 side, albeit bottom half, with a punchers chance at beating a Top 4 team or two in the Finals.

Hodgson may not be here next year either but in 2023 I expect to have him and Croker (medical retirement) off our books meaning we could have a red hot crack at the best spine player available that $800K plus can buy. While the competition will be hot for them I'd be going as hard as possible for whichever Storm hooker we can get out of Brandon Smith or Harry Grant. By 2023 one of them will surely be jack of playing a bench role and we can beat the Brisbane expansion team to them.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: September 23, 2021, 1:26 pm I feel that in the current V'Landysball era going with a team that has a strong bench is a huge advantage. As we are currently constructed I feel our best bench would be;

14. Starling
15. Rapana
16. Tapine
17. Young

Tapine is our 2nd best Prop but another poster suggested splitting him and Papalii - which I agree with (provided we get the OK from Mrs. Tapine of course). And for mine Sutton does his best work in the first 20-30 minutes.

I have Rapana as bench utility which leaves a large hole in our outside backs so for mine signing a bench utility would be something I'd priortise. Internally we could develop Kris in this role if we didn't sign anyone. Peachey would be ideal to bring into the squad.

Young on the bench leaves us short a starting backrower. Do we currently have a young guy who could fill that role in Round 1 2022? I haven't seen anything to indicate the coaching staff feel anybody is ready. So we need a 13, 12 or 11 (depending where Whitehead plays). The only two players I see as options would be Sims or I. Papali'i.

And, clearly we need a 7. Fogarty appears the likely option now. I personally still prefer Brown but dollars wise we would have a better chance at upgrading the bench utility and backrow spots with Fogarty.

2. Xavier Savage
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Tariq Sims
13. Elliott Whitehead

14. Tom Starling
15. Tyrone Peachey
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Hudson Young

18. Sebastian Kris

Backs - Elijah Anderson, Jarrod Croker, Matt Frawley, Brad Schneider, Bailey Simonsson, Semi Valemei

Forwards - Emre Guler, Tom Hazelton, Corey Horsburgh, Trey Mooney, Harry Rushton, Adrian Trevilyan

You could maybe swap a few players names from our squad if you preferred Medlyn, Hopoate or Webb, etc.

I think that team would be a Top 8 side, albeit bottom half, with a punchers chance at beating a Top 4 team or two in the Finals.

Hodgson may not be here next year either but in 2023 I expect to have him and Croker (medical retirement) off our books meaning we could have a red hot crack at the best spine player available that $800K plus can buy. While the competition will be hot for them I'd be going as hard as possible for whichever Storm hooker we can get out of Brandon Smith or Harry Grant. By 2023 one of them will surely be jack of playing a bench role and we can beat the Brisbane expansion team to them.
Sorry but how on earth do you expect us to compete on a 3-prop rotation? Who is our 4th prop?
Up The Milk
Sydney_Raider
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Sydney_Raider »

I don't mind the look of Leo Thompson. Could be an option. Don't know until you try. We had Makahese Makatoa running around in Mounties for several years without getting a go. Based on how he went for Parra this year it's hard to imagine why. We do have a track record over the years of not giving guys a go or enough of a go.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sydney_Raider wrote:I don't mind the look of Leo Thompson. Could be an option. Don't know until you try. We had Makahese Makatoa running around in Mounties for several years without getting a go. Based on how he went for Parra this year it's hard to imagine why. We do have a track record over the years of not giving guys a go or enough of a go.
Leo Thompson went to the knights

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 23, 2021, 2:14 pm
Wiki Special wrote: September 23, 2021, 1:26 pm I feel that in the current V'Landysball era going with a team that has a strong bench is a huge advantage. As we are currently constructed I feel our best bench would be;

14. Starling
15. Rapana
16. Tapine
17. Young

2. Xavier Savage
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Tariq Sims
13. Elliott Whitehead

14. Tom Starling
15. Tyrone Peachey
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Hudson Young

18. Sebastian Kris

Sorry but how on earth do you expect us to compete on a 3-prop rotation? Who is our 4th prop?
Young plays in the middle where most think he is best served. Sims spends time in the middle when Peachey goes to the edge. Whitehead, Hodgson and sometimes Peachey sharing 13 duties. All these guys can play big minutes if required too. Or if his form is superior Guler plays instead of Young.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: September 23, 2021, 3:03 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: September 23, 2021, 2:14 pm

14. Starling
15. Rapana
16. Tapine
17. Young

2. Xavier Savage
3. Harley Smith-Shields
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Jamal Fogarty
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Tariq Sims
13. Elliott Whitehead

14. Tom Starling
15. Tyrone Peachey
16. Joseph Tapine
17. Hudson Young

18. Sebastian Kris

Young plays in the middle where most think he is best served. Sims spends time in the middle when Peachey goes to the edge. Whitehead, Hodgson and sometimes Peachey sharing 13 duties. All these guys can play big minutes if required too. Or if his form is superior Guler plays instead of Young.
Peach isn't playing on the edge. So ignore the Sims/ Peach move.

I like the squad though.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

2022 predicted best top 17

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Key recruits and returning stars turn NRL on its head: Every club’s best 17 for 2022

Predicted Raiders best 17: 1. Xavier Savage 2. Bailey Simonsson 3. Jarrod Croker 4. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Josh Papalii 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Ryan Sutton 14. Tom Starling 15. Emre Guler 16. Corey Horsburgh 17. Corey Harawira-Naera

Analysis: Xavier Savage is tipped to play fullback with Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad switching to the centres and Matthew Timoko dropping out. Skipper Jarrod Croker needs a big off-season but given his standing in the club he will edge Sebastian Kris to a centre spot. Bailey Simonsson replaces Harley-Smith Shields on the wing. Star recruit Jamal Fogartycomes in for Matt Frawley at halfback. Ryan Sutton replaces the retired Iosia Soliola at lock. Tom Starling comes in for Siliva Havili on the bench. Corey Harawira-Naera takes Sutton’s spot on the pine.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0dd53e4b0b
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2022 predicted best top 17

Post by greeneyed »

Timoko and Smith-Shields?
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2021, 7:28 am Timoko and Smith-Shields?
In for Croker and Simonsson respectively. Mooney and Kris for Guler and Horsburgh.

If Hodgson stays on...

1. Savage
2. HSS
3. CNK
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Kris
16. Mooney
17. Sutton
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I would predict we'll line up like this in 2022 Week 1.

1. CNK 2. Savage 3. HSS 4. Timoko 5. Rapana 6. Wighton 7. Fogarty 8. Papalii 9. Starling 10. Sutton 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine
14. Kris 15. Young 16. Guler 17. Mooney

How i'd like to see them lined up:
1. Savage 2. CNK 3. HSS 4. Timoko 5. Rapana 6. Wighton 7. Fogarty 8. Papalii 9. Starling 10. Tapine 11. CHN 12. Young 13. Whitehead
14. Kris 15. Sutton 16. Guler 17. Mooney
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Raider47 wrote: October 13, 2021, 7:39 am
In for Croker and Simonsson respectively. Mooney and Kris for Guler and Horsburgh.

If Hodgson stays on...

1. Savage
2. HSS
3. CNK
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Kris
16. Mooney
17. Sutton
I think 1, 2 and 3 will be picked but CNK in 1, Savage at 2 and HSS at 3.
Also Guler likely to be picked on the bench in place of Mooney.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The make up of our outside backs is completely up in the air right now. Rapana is assured of a wing spot. CNK will be there somewhere. Beyond that all spots are up for grabs.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

RedRaider wrote: October 13, 2021, 8:22 am
Raider47 wrote: October 13, 2021, 7:39 am

If Hodgson stays on...

1. Savage
2. HSS
3. CNK
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Fogarty
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Kris
16. Mooney
17. Sutton
I think 1, 2 and 3 will be picked but CNK in 1, Savage at 2 and HSS at 3.
Also Guler likely to be picked on the bench in place of Mooney.
You're probably right and I'd also expect Croker to line up at 3. My preference is for us to move on from Hodgo but still think he can have something to offer if he gets a full pre season under his belt.

I also wouldn't mind having a little bet Mooney starts at 13 for us. Whitehead will be lining up in the second row, we all know it.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Croker? They’re clueless.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: October 13, 2021, 8:08 am I would predict we'll line up like this in 2022 Week 1.

1. CNK 2. Savage 3. HSS 4. Timoko 5. Rapana 6. Wighton 7. Fogarty 8. Papalii 9. Starling 10. Sutton 11. CHN 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine

1. Savage 2. CNK 3. HSS 4. Timoko 5. Rapana 6. Wighton 7. Fogarty 8. Papalii 9. Starling 10. Tapine 11. CHN 12. Young 13. Whitehead
Closer than Fox. How about:

1. Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Savage 3. Smith-Shields 4. Timoko 5. Rapana 6. Wighton 7. Fogarty 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Tapine 11. Harawira-Naera 12. Whitehead 13. Mooney

14. Starling 15. Young 16. Sutton 17. Guler
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Hola now comes into contention for a top 17 spot
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'd be really excited by that line up, switch savage and CNK and that's probably the line up i'd most like to see
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

All of that, all 16 teams predicted top 17s is just someone opinion.

Yawn.

I’d be shattered if HSS and MTimoko aren’t in our starting 13 come rnd 1.

This journalist has no idea what our clubs off season and trials will show..goose !!!
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

sprintman wrote: October 13, 2021, 8:39 am Croker? They’re clueless.
Or they know how our club operates. There's no way Croker is fit for round 1 and anywhere other than first grade, literally no chance he starts the year in reserve grade.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The article mentions starting slots for Croker, Simo and Sutton instead of HSS, Timoko and CHN.

All of the above selections would be abjectly wrong.

Croker is past it, props at locks are an anachronism and completely obsolete as of 2020 and Simo, whilst never that offensive is most of the time just a non-entity.

Unfortunately I reckon there is a good chance we will see these conservative but blatantly inferior selections by Ricky for the first 5-6 weeks until he makes the necessary changes that 95% of people were calling for from the start.
Up The Milk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Mickey_Raider wrote: October 13, 2021, 11:35 am The article mentions starting slots for Croker, Simo and Sutton instead of HSS, Timoko and CHN.

All of the above selections would be abjectly wrong.

Croker is past it, props at locks are an anachronism and completely obsolete as of 2020 and Simo, whilst never that offensive is most of the time just a non-entity.

Unfortunately I reckon there is a good chance we will see these conservative but blatantly inferior selections by Ricky for the first 5-6 weeks until he makes the necessary changes that 95% of people were calling for from the start.
Sound like 2020
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2021, 9:33 am
Botman wrote: October 13, 2021, 8:08 am I would predict we'll line up like this in 2022 Week 1.

1. Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Savage 3. Smith-Shields 4. Timoko 5. Rapana 6. Wighton 7. Fogarty 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson 10. Tapine 11. Harawira-Naera 12. Whitehead 13. Mooney

Looking good. Savage to move to fullback part way through the game.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I've got no doubt Savage will be our starting fullback come rd 1
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I don't think we'll see Mooney but I'd like to see it.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

zim wrote:I don't think we'll see Mooney but I'd like to see it.
he's impressive

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders666 wrote: October 13, 2021, 12:53 pm I've got no doubt Savage will be our starting fullback come rd 1
What makes you so sure though? Ricky has been very, very conservative with this sort of thing usually.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: October 13, 2021, 9:33 am

If Hodgson stays on, which I now think is likely at this point, then this is how we should start next year imo. It would allow Mooney to ease in to first grade as Hodgson would be shifting to lock once Starling comes on. Sutton and Guler aren't guaranteed with Hola coming in but I think they will likely get first shot.

The balance of our team however would look much better if we could trade Hodgson for a gun second rower or lock at a similar price.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

bonehead wrote: October 13, 2021, 12:57 pm
zim wrote:I don't think we'll see Mooney but I'd like to see it.
he's impressive

Would love to see him get his chance...Big future for Mooney
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

BadnMean wrote: October 13, 2021, 12:58 pm
Raiders666 wrote: October 13, 2021, 12:53 pm I've got no doubt Savage will be our starting fullback come rd 1
What makes you so sure though? Ricky has been very, very conservative with this sort of thing usually.
I mean I'm not 100 percent sure... It's just this kid has something special and I've got faith In Stick to do what's best for the team after last year's effort.