15. CHN
16. Horsburgh
17. Guler
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2022

Post by Botman »

Wouldnt say no. Manu is a guy worth betting on.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Manu would be a massive coup. He's wasted at centre
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If Savage is 6"1 and 90kg this year, then he could be NRL ready by next season. There's already smaller speed men in the game than that.

Get him in NSW Cup for the rest of the season to get used to the contact and at that age he could be 95kg and ready to roll next year.

He's the same size or actually listed as heavier as the likes of Staines and Ramsay already at 90kg - similar 20 year old speed men. Being afraid to back the odd young bloke is what got us into this mess.

Where did this Manu thing come about? He's contracted 2022. Is he agitating to leave for FB or something?
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

Knotincelly22 wrote: April 25, 2021, 8:30 am Heads should roll for letting Bateman and Cotric walk. Jonneh may have ending up leaving midway thru this season on compassionate grounds anyway but to compound that with the Croker deal? It just doesn't make sense and it's not like you couldn't see this coming-keeping two 30yo backline players at the expense of a then 21yo NSW player. As for Leilua, at least the music is still inside him-you just need to extract it. Is Curtis ever going to throw a pass to put us into a home preliminary final? Doubtful.
No one "let Bateman go". He wanted to leave.

And as to BJ, maybe Scott won't throw that pass to get us to the prelim, but I'm betting Scott also wouldn't be lazy at marker and be out of position to let the Grand Final losing try in either.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Greedysmurf wrote: April 26, 2021, 9:05 am
Knotincelly22 wrote: April 25, 2021, 8:30 am Heads should roll for letting Bateman and Cotric walk. Jonneh may have ending up leaving midway thru this season on compassionate grounds anyway but to compound that with the Croker deal? It just doesn't make sense and it's not like you couldn't see this coming-keeping two 30yo backline players at the expense of a then 21yo NSW player. As for Leilua, at least the music is still inside him-you just need to extract it. Is Curtis ever going to throw a pass to put us into a home preliminary final? Doubtful.

And as to BJ, maybe Scott won't throw that pass to get us to the prelim, but I'm betting Scott also wouldn't be lazy at marker and be out of position to let the Grand Final losing try in either.
On the GF comment - BJ was not lazy at marker in that match. He made a great legs tackle - which is no longer rewarded in the game - had to let go and the Roosters made a smart play off the back of a quick play the ball.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

Wiki Special wrote: April 26, 2021, 9:11 am

On the GF comment - BJ was not lazy at marker in that match. He made a great legs tackle - which is no longer rewarded in the game - had to let go and the Roosters made a smart play off the back of a quick play the ball.
Will have to disagree. Yes it was a legs tackle, but to me he didn't appear to try that hard to get up and back in the defence line/marker. Yes it was smart play from the Roosters, but the fact is the line break was made through where BJ would have been. I'm not hating on BJ, and I have no specific love for Scott, I have just noticed over the last few weeks some absolute corkers of opinions and the worst kinds of revisionist/rose coloured history. For instance bemoaning moving BJ on. He was let go and rightly so IMO, his picture is in the dictionary under "Rocks and Diamonds". He has even been dropped by the Wests Tigers for chissakes.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Wiki Special wrote: April 26, 2021, 9:11 am

Yeah there was nothing wrong with what Joey did there. Somehow Aiden Sezer ended up on the wing and bit when he didn't have to... that's what opened the gap for the Roosters winger. We had the numbers, but it was a poor read from Sezer who shouldn't have been defending on the wing.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

The team misses prime Leilua more than any other player, including Bateman.

That ship has sailed but that downgrade to Scott is one of the more depressing market moves I’ve seen Canberra make.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Manu would be a great pick up and I would definitely take the gamble on him at fullback if that's what he wants to play.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I would certainly agree we miss Leipana, we're in post-Leipana era even lol. Take away Cotric and Bateman too, and a *significant* amount of x-factor is gone

I'm not sure the team attack itself is any worse actually, we're just seeing what it looks like in its raw form, without the above
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

julian87 wrote: April 26, 2021, 10:09 am The team misses prime Leilua more than any other player, including Bateman.

That ship has sailed but that downgrade to Scott is one of the more depressing market moves I’ve seen Canberra make.
Leilua in his prime was the most damaging attacking centre in the NRL. Pretty much any centre would have been a downgrade tbh.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Where did all this Manu talk come from?
Is there genuine interest or Greenhouse pipedream?
FWIW he would make a great fullback and I'd move CNK to No.3...
Were dreaming right?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I don’t no why many is now a better fullback then Cnk...

Cnk is fine..
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

julian87 wrote: April 26, 2021, 10:09 am The team misses prime Leilua more than any other player, including Bateman.

I think that's pretty accurate. BJ could be so dominant and skillful that you could revolve a whole game around just him.

Things would be quite different now if we managed to nab Lomax from the Dragons back then - would ease the Croker goalkicking situation too.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Lomax was the guy I wanted most for our club....can't believe the Dragons actually thought about releasing him to keep "feet for hands" Saab.
Knotincelly22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Adrian Purtell

Post by Knotincelly22 »

Sezer trying to tackle to air between Tupou's arms instead of putting the praying mantis into touch was at least as bad but if you're gonna cut Joey down, the draw and pass for what would've been a try to Rapana is worse. But he's a mixed bag of brilliance and boneheaded plays, but you wear that. Bateman and Hodgson didn't even bother showing up. Jonneh was agitating for more money in the lead up to the game so we absolutely let him go. He was offered cash elsewhere but he didn't want to end up like Cotric. He wanted to win and be paid what he was worth as the game's #1 second rower and DFJ is too cheap...unless you're the club captain.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Did a bit of a browse through the NRL Telstra Tracker to see if any Raiders showed up on the weekly speed things.

Simo did pop up a couple of times at the high 34ks. FOr reference that's similar to guys like Farnsworth who pops up around that speed a couple of times. Slower than guys like Cotric or Oates in the high 35s. Real speedsters, Fox, Saab are coming in high 37s or low 38s.

Fastest Raider sighted Seb Kris in the 35s. Might have more in the tank given limited game time/opportunities.

Was thinking about how we'd look if we had some speed in the back 5

1. CNK (work + defence)
2. Savage (speed)
3. Kris (strength)
4. HSS/Scott
5. Hoppa/Valemi. Semi would be our biggest player, haven't seen much of Hoppa beyond decent numbers. Really if we are going with this backline, I'd want a NRL level winger recruited for some reliable size/yards.

1. Hynes (ball player)
2. Savage (speed)
3. Kris (strength)
4. CNK (work + defence)
5. Hoppa/Valemi/HSS

Wouldn't involve much of a warchest- I think Hynes could be got without breaking the bank. If we run with 2 running halves then a ball playing FB is more essential. Especially if Starling is going to be spending more time at hooker.
Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

I'd say as a general principle, I'd be wary of buying from Melbourne or the Roosters: they're broadly good at knowing who to let go, and if you get into a fight for one of their players you will be paying massive overs. You want to be poaching from dumb clubs with players being let down by the quality around them, or by poaching players who are being blocked from advancing into first grade by an overperforming first team.

Likewise, going big on a halfback is also a terrible idea, as evidenced by...every team that has gone big on a halfback. I'd say same principle for gun backs leaving to be on "fullback money" without really doing the time there. Unless Manu is happy to come on less than FB money, I can't see him being a good move for us.

Wighton, Williams, CNK and Starling are all capable of punching well above what we'd get by shopping around for replacements - I'd be wanting to lock them in and focus purely on managing a backline transition for next year. They don't have to be superstars, they don't even have to be well-rounded players - just ones who can avoid being dominated and will be willing to work hard and be professional. If you want the next gun back, you have to get them before they're established: keep gambling on the Savage types until one looks like it will pay off, then lock him in asap.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Bovrick wrote: April 27, 2021, 10:28 pm I'd say as a general principle, I'd be wary of buying from Melbourne or the Roosters: they're broadly good at knowing who to let go, and if you get into a fight for one of their players you will be paying massive overs. You want to be poaching from dumb clubs with players being let down by the quality around them, or by poaching players who are being blocked from advancing into first grade by an overperforming first team.

Likewise, going big on a halfback is also a terrible idea, as evidenced by...every team that has gone big on a halfback. I'd say same principle for gun backs leaving to be on "fullback money" without really doing the time there. Unless Manu is happy to come on less than FB money, I can't see him being a good move for us.

Wighton, Williams, CNK and Starling are all capable of punching well above what we'd get by shopping around for replacements - I'd be wanting to lock them in and focus purely on managing a backline transition for next year. They don't have to be superstars, they don't even have to be well-rounded players - just ones who can avoid being dominated and will be willing to work hard and be professional. If you want the next gun back, you have to get them before they're established: keep gambling on the Savage types until one looks like it will pay off, then lock him in asap.
I can't agree with this at all. If a club like Storm or Roosters have a player who isn't starting in his preferred position as there are other players ahead of him, that's a great target for recruitment. Souths did it with Latrell Mitchell and I doubt they will be regretting it. You want to bring in players from winning cultures. You might get some good value picking apart a weak team like the Broncos but there are other effective ways to recruit players.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I've got this really weird feeling that the Bulldogs are going to be better than the Raiders by end of next season. They are recruiting the right kinda players slowly. Their back line could soon be better than ours.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

They will have one of the best backlines in the comp. Only question mark is fullback
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

CNK is an honest plodder.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

with an horrendous monk like haircut.
This place is woke.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 28, 2021, 4:15 pm They will have one of the best backlines in the comp. Only question mark is fullback
They're halves and hooker still have a lot of question marks too. Unless i've missed a signing?
And yes i know they have Burton, but his work in the halves so far has been a huge boot and nice running game... not a ton of ball playing so far
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: April 25, 2021, 9:50 am We need two outside backs who are genuinely fast, they dont have to be Addo-Carr stuff, very few people in RL are that fast, but they need what i would angle beating speed... that being players who can beat a defender to the spot despite the defender having a better angle to the spot.
I dont know where we'd find them, it maybe that Savage emerges as one of them. But I think the first thing i'd do if i was Ricky today is send my most trusted talent scout (or the next best if Mulholland is not up for it given his cancer) to Penrith to watch their junior grades every week for the next month. Find the best kid who's progress is going to be impeded by that gun team and offer him a starting spot in FG next year.

Dont care what position he plays. If it's fullback, i'll play him there, CNK is versitle enough to play anywhere in the back 5 IMO.
Kris and either HSS or Timoko would be my centres, and New Player X, New Player Z, and CNK would fill out my back 3.

Wighton and Williams in the halves
Guler, Papalii, James, Sutton, Tapine and Young are my core middles. With Tapine and Young being the in game edge options should we need them
CHN, Whitehead are my edges but we need to looking at next guy here since you're probably expecting 2022 to be Whitehead's last

Starling and Hodgson at hooker, with a proper time share going on.
Pommel for Pommel, Rushton is Whiteys replacement. Looks in the Lane mould, tall, rangey and a hole runner
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Question wrote: April 28, 2021, 7:43 pm with an horrendous monk like haircut.
Yeah but does the bloke with the weird monk haircut have a generational stance on not wearing a team’s colors.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

1. CNK
2. ??? Savage/ Valemei???
3. Kris
4. HSS
5. ??? New recruit/Simmo (he is a left winger currently playing right)
6. Jack
7. George
8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Whitey
13. Young

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. Tapine
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Semi Radradra on the wing for 2-3 years would be be handy.
He turns 29 this year.

Go get him Don.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: April 28, 2021, 7:47 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 28, 2021, 4:15 pm They will have one of the best backlines in the comp. Only question mark is fullback
They're halves and hooker still have a lot of question marks too. Unless i've missed a signing?
And yes i know they have Burton, but his work in the halves so far has been a huge boot and nice running game... not a ton of ball playing so far
A Wighton style player still on the up. Not a bad partner for Keary at all- big size running half to compliment the scheming half. Yes still questions, but a really good pick up for their squad imo. Actually a half purchase that makes sense and isn't a bank breaker.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Bump.

I just can't get any hope for this year. I doubt we're making finals.

1. Savage
2. HSS
3. CNK
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton?
7. Ricky Stuart
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Kris
16. Guler
17. Tapine

Halves are our biggest question mark. Absolutely bizarre that a reigning Dally M Winner and Clive Churchill winner from less than two years ago has a question mark next to his name. I hope a toughest pre season ever of leaving nothing in that tank can get his finger pulled out. Halfback is needed. We need Mullholland, DFJ and Sticky to weave some magic ala CNK prior to the 2019 season and tempt a player out one year earlier than their contract expiry.

18. Valemei
19. Horsburgh
20. Frawley
21. Simonsson

Depth after that relies on youth doesn't it. Seeming less and less likely that Lui, Havili, Soliola and James are staying on at the club. We'll be looking for the likes of Mooney, Esera and Rushton to step up.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

In Savage, Semi, Timoko, HSS and Kris there is a stable of young horses in the backs which we can reasonably put a bit of hope in.

Rapana is probably the only off contract player at the moment actively proving he deserves another year.

We simply need to sign a halfback or have a longer term plan for 2023 if one can’t be sourced for next year.

I would be OK with Frawley being the placeholder with Schneider given a chance at some stage to see if he is worth a punt on.

Aside from that, Wighton needs to just go somewhere and do something over the off season. I can’t think of a more insipid season from a so called super star.

The forwards still have the architecture there to be elite. Hopefully Whitehead can reinvent himself over the backend of his career a bit at lock as he is starting to hit the decline on the edges.

We may need to sign another edge player, unless Rushton the goods.

Lui, Sia, Havili, James and Williams should probably be wrapping things up for us this year.

So should Croker, but we have him for 3 more seasons.

In conclusion, we still have the framework of a decent squad, but our success is contingent on some progression from our young outside backs, Wighton sorting himself out and us securing a good halfback.

On reflection we probably need to also make a few signings purely for the benefit of freshening the place up. One thing I have learned is that you need to keep turning the squad over otherwise you get stagnant.

We have plenty of work to do.
Last edited by Mickey_Raider on August 3, 2021, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Up The Milk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

2022 Ricky will shove it in your faces!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Gap year.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'm gonna change my username to include the name 'Rick'. It'll be done mockingly first, a piss take, but later when I jinx it, I'll pretend I did it on purpose to show my support for Ricky.

'Rickashsghs;lsDjg'. Nice ring to it.