Rabbitohs 13+
57%

Total votes: 23

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2021 Rd 8 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Billy Walker »

We are 7 rounds into a 25 round season and we are in the 8. Some of the current rumblings and speculation is concerning but not dire straits just yet. Keep the faith it’s a long season!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I don't know about everyone else, but this short turnaround is very hard to handle. I'm exhausted and it is only Tuesday, and I've got a long day of work tomorrow too, I suspect. :cry: :nooo
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:I don't know about everyone else, but this short turnaround is very hard to handle. I'm exhausted and it is only Tuesday, and I've got a long day of work tomorrow too, I suspect. :cry: :nooo
Aren’t you supposed to be retired? You need to rest up, big fella, looooong season ahead of us!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:13 pm It is a tough pill to swallow that we’ve gone from a bona fide Top 4 team and potential premiership contender to hopefully scraping into the 8 and no chance of winning all within three weeks, but it is what it is.
It sucks. The margin for top 4 is so razor thin we can't be dropping games like we did last week. Add to that the losses to 2 other top 4 hopefuls (parra and panthers) which are pretty much 4 point swings, and even if we say beat the storm and the roosters back to back before the bye the way the other draws work out and the range of form in this side could see us still miss out.
Round 8 is where I called it last year. Even more confident this year.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

-TW- wrote: April 27, 2021, 6:11 pm
1992 wrote:Last weeks loss is still too painful to think about Souths tomorrow night.
Lucky it's Thursday night

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I guess when Thursday rolls around I will just pretend it is Friday.
18 point lead lost to the Cowboys..
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Can somebody please, please, please PM me their favourite apple crumble recipe?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Ricky needs help
Last edited by radicalraider on April 27, 2021, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

zim wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:29 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:13 pm It is a tough pill to swallow that we’ve gone from a bona fide Top 4 team and potential premiership contender to hopefully scraping into the 8 and no chance of winning all within three weeks, but it is what it is.
It sucks. The margin for top 4 is so razor thin we can't be dropping games like we did last week. Add to that the losses to 2 other top 4 hopefuls (parra and panthers) which are pretty much 4 point swings, and even if we say beat the storm and the roosters back to back before the bye the way the other draws work out and the range of form in this side could see us still miss out.
The For and Against doesn’t help either.
It’s worth 2pts almost every season and we have struggled where we should beat teams by a fair margin, only to escape with a tight match..
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

greeneyed wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:28 pm I don't know about everyone else, but this short turnaround is very hard to handle. I'm exhausted and it is only Tuesday, and I've got a long day of work tomorrow too, I suspect. :cry: :nooo
I think it was poor planning from the NRL considering it takes the raiders basically a day to fly back from Townsville due to double flights, so that makes it a 4 day week
Vaccinated
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Raiders666 wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:20 pm
jimmy82 wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:13 pm
Raiders666 wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:01 pm Bunch of drama queens haha....this will all be forgotten when we towel up Souths Thursday night. We will win 3 in a row and get the confidence back and all will be sweet
You seem quite detached from reality
So do most people on here to be honest...I've still got faith
I do hope to be proven wrong though 🙏
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Top 4??

I don't want to be super negative but do you seriously think we are even a remote hope of that?

Be lucky to make the 8 on current efforts.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:28 pm I don't know about everyone else, but this short turnaround is very hard to handle. I'm exhausted and it is only Tuesday, and I've got a long day of work tomorrow too, I suspect. :cry: :nooo
I think it was poor planning from the NRL considering it takes the raiders basically a day to fly back from Townsville due to double flights, so that makes it a 4 day week
Of course you do

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

gergreg wrote:Can somebody please, please, please PM me their favourite apple crumble recipe?
X2

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

-TW- wrote: April 27, 2021, 9:02 pm
cat wrote:
Of course you do

This week's excuse is ready to go.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

-TW- wrote: April 27, 2021, 9:03 pm
gergreg wrote:Can somebody please, please, please PM me their favourite apple crumble recipe?
X2

I also like apple crumble.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

tommyhud9 wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:59 pm
Top 4??

I don't want to be super negative but do you seriously think we are even a remote hope of that?

Be lucky to make the 8 on current efforts.
You've missed an earlier post that gives this more context. I'm saying the season is done as far as a premiership and top 4. We aren't making the 4 even if we pulled out something special like beating the roosters and melbourne back to back.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

radicalraider wrote: April 27, 2021, 6:40 pm
Raiders666 wrote: April 27, 2021, 6:35 pm Oh wow looks like radicalraider was right all along! Guess the problem with having so much depth it's hard to keep them all happy.
Wonder how many players are going to want out?
I get inside info...
There’s always one deep throat ...
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

There’s some crazy posts in here!

I think some of you have been waiting for something like this to happen and are now happy it has.

I’m sending out some positive vibes. We’ll beat South’s this week!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Bigcheese wrote: April 28, 2021, 7:28 am There’s some crazy posts in here!

I think some of you have been waiting for something like this to happen and are now happy it has.

I’m sending out some positive vibes. We’ll beat South’s this week!
I’m with you Cheese - I’m feeling a win coming as well
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha suck ****, Bigcheese.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Billy Walker wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:25 pm We are 7 rounds into a 25 round season and we are in the 8. Some of the current rumblings and speculation is concerning but not dire straits just yet. Keep the faith it’s a long season!
I think if we lose by more than 10 points against Souths; our situation is dire straits.

It boils down to what expectations we have.... are we contenders for the premiership or just for positions 6-8? I thought we were aiming for the former.

My belief is that with our attack being so poor and lacking options, its affecting our defence and in turn our overall confidence. We look pedestrian at best with the ball in our hands. Forwards being dominated and backs lacking creativity.

Ben Ikin was suggesting last night on NRL 360 we are playing too structured and our best attack came from 'uncoachable' individual brilliance and in turn difficult to defend against. Paul Kent was talking about Penrith just looking dangerous with a lot of runners off the ball. Roosters and Storm remind me of this too.

I believe we are too predictable. Our game plan is (a) get our forwards to run over theirs to score and if that doesn't work; (b) give the ball to Wighton to run over and score. Just look at the majority of our tries this season.. tells you everything. That's fine to score a few like this... but that's our entire highlight reel.

Option (c) is to simply pass the ball along our back line. This simply is not going to work.

I think the sentiment that our back line aren't firing is the correct one. We need more punch and strike. I think its going to come from players stepping up and being clear on what's expected plus blooding new players.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Billy Walker wrote: April 27, 2021, 7:25 pm We are 7 rounds into a 25 round season and we are in the 8. Some of the current rumblings and speculation is concerning but not dire straits just yet. Keep the faith it’s a long season!
We weren't last week, we only got back into the eight on a loss because others lost harder.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

benda wrote: April 28, 2021, 11:20 am
I think if we lose by more than 10 points against Souths; our situation is dire straits.

It boils down to what expectations we have.... are we contenders for the premiership or just for positions 6-8? I thought we were aiming for the former.

My belief is that with our attack being so poor and lacking options, its affecting our defence and in turn our overall confidence. We look pedestrian at best with the ball in our hands. Forwards being dominated and backs lacking creativity.

Ben Ikin was suggesting last night on NRL 360 we are playing too structured and our best attack came from 'uncoachable' individual brilliance and in turn difficult to defend against. Paul Kent was talking about Penrith just looking dangerous with a lot of runners off the ball. Roosters and Storm remind me of this too.

I believe we are too predictable. Our game plan is (a) get our forwards to run over theirs to score and if that doesn't work; (b) give the ball to Wighton to run over and score. Just look at the majority of our tries this season.. tells you everything. That's fine to score a few like this... but that's our entire highlight reel.

Option (c) is to simply pass the ball along our back line. This simply is not going to work.

I think the sentiment that our back line aren't firing is the correct one. We need more punch and strike. I think its going to come from players stepping up and being clear on what's expected plus blooding new players.
Agree with your analysis Benda - we are looking ugly and won’t be troubling many sides the way we are currently travelling but we have a strong roster and plenty of time to make something click. Rather finish 6th with strong momentum than 4th on an obvious slide. No doubt we are tracking poorly and have made it a bigger challenge than it needed to be but not all hope is lost for 2021.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart wants his old Papa back

The thing that Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart is wanting most of all: his old Papa back.

Josh Papalii was the Dally M Prop of the Year in 2020, but "Papa" has had a slow start to 2021 - by Papalii's high standards.

Stuart took the difficult decision to start Papalii on the bench last week against the Cowboys. He has now taken an even tougher decision to rest the Raiders' leading forward for tomorrow night's game against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Canberra Stadium.

"I'm resting Papa. It's important for Papa to use his break wisely and bring the old Papa back, because we're really missing him at the moment," Stuart said today.

"I had a good chat to Josh this week. He agrees. He's just struggling to find a little bit of form and I think it's more mental than anything else."

"He's still going to be playing with the squad, but just not playing. We just need him to find and recapture that old Papa character and ability."

The Raiders will also be without co-captain Jarrod Croker for the Rabbitohs clash, after he hurt his shoulder in the match against the Cowboys in Townsville. It's the same shoulder that required surgery to repair in the off season.

"Jarrod Croker's injured his shoulder late in that game against the Cowboys and I'm going to give him this week off with it. It's only just been operated on, so it's important for that to be 100 per cent," Stuart said.

Stuart admits he had some fears for Croker when the injury happened last Saturday night. But he's confident Croker will be back in one or two weeks - and that all the injury requires is a "little bit of rest and physio".

Leaving Croker out of the team was also a hard decision, but it was one Stuart had to take.

"It's always worse when the team's not in a great position because of form, and the losses we've had. It always makes it harder," Stuart said.

"Jarrod wanted to play. It's typical for him, he's an inspiration and the captain he is, he wanted to play. But again, I followed the medical advice because it's more about looking after that shoulder, than having to play injured."

The Raiders are sorely missing fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, who has been sidelined for two months with a bulging disc in his neck. The medical advice is that it does not require surgery - and he's currently taking some time out to be with family.

"Charnze has gone home to see his children for two weeks," Stuart explained.

"So he's got a program, he goes home for two weeks, he'll be back and he'll have approximately six weeks of training before he gets to play."

"We're hoping it's about a seven or eight week injury. He'll be due back early next week. It gave him a good opportunity to go and see his children. His children are back home in New Zealand. So he's sitting out for approximately eight weeks."

The Raiders head into the clash with the Rabbitohs are under intense pressure - after losing three games in a row.

The most recent loss, to the Cowboys, was the most difficult to take, given the Green Machine conceded an 18 point lead - and failed to score a point in the second half.

But Stuart wants to make sure his players do not put too much pressure on themselves.

"We're in a very difficult situation at the moment, where we're losing consecutive games, three in a row," Stuart admitted today.

"It's not the position you want to be in, but we are. We deal with what we've got to deal with."

"It's important that we don't put too much pressure on ourselves. We've got to still try and enjoy the football that makes us a good football team."

"Sometimes you get into this position and you can feel nervous or tense. You can't. We've just got to go about our business and play a good game of football."

"The three games that we have been beaten in, there have been some really good periods of play. It's a matter of having longer periods of good play and trying to get a win."

"Because outside of trying to be upbeat and have energy, you get a win and that cures a lot of anguish."

Stuart believes a key priority now is improving the team's defence.

"That's where you get a lot of energy from as well, from your defence," he said.

"It's something that we're speaking about, something we're working on."

"There were a couple of tries on the weekend through kicks, we were unlucky not to defend. We've got to fix those, because 12 points is a big difference. There were a couple of tries there that I thought we could have defended. But we're not at the moment."

" It's something we've got to improve on and improve on quickly."

The Raiders' defence is certainly something that will be tested tomorrow night.

Five eighth Cody Walker has been moved to fullback, with Benji Marshall filling in at five eighth. Both have an unpredictable style that the Raiders have found difficult to handle in the past.

Marshall, in particular, has been the bogeyman for the Raiders at Canberra Stadium. Marshall went 10 games in a row without tasting defeat in the nation's capital, between 2005 and 2018 - with three different clubs.

He's only lost to the Raiders three times and only lost once at Canberra Stadium - in 2019.

Coach Stuart knows Canberra will have to be on guard, but also wants some unpredictability from his own team in attack.

"They're a good football team, no doubt. They wouldn't be where they are on the table if they weren't," he said.

"They've got some very smart individuals and some players who are unpredictable in attack. Benji Marshall is in some really fine form. Those guys are the key to their attack and they're the players you've got to be very focused on in regards to defence."

"All of us, all of us need to be on board and motivated to play well individually and that's where you get your team result."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart speaks about the clash with the Rabbitohs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ohs-match/

'Bring old Papa back': Sticky explains star's rest situation: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/27/why ... -chambers/

https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p1792788

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Rabbitohs: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 4#p1792254

Stuart wants 'old Papa back' for Raiders: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-2704990

Joe Picker to sound the Viking Horn: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... rabbitohs/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Corey Harawira-Naera: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ra-naera3/

GALLERY: Captain's Run: Raiders v Rabbitohs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... rabbitohs/
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah, nothing in that article gives me confidence Ricky has a plan...

We just have to hope the team find their confidence..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: April 28, 2021, 1:41 pm Yeah, nothing in that article gives me confidence Ricky has a plan...

Which is exactly what he wants you to think. Once everybody believes there no plan, the plan is executed and everyone is taken by surprise. The perfect cunning plan.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: April 28, 2021, 1:41 pm Yeah, nothing in that article gives me confidence Ricky has a plan...

Which is exactly what he wants you to think. Once everybody believes there no plan, the plan is executed and everyone is taken by surprise. The perfect cunning plan.
Great plan Baldrick Stuart

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Interesting that Ricky talks a lot about "individual performances". This is something he's said a lot, well prior to this season. It seems to be his coaching mantra

I'm speculating here, but could that be part of the problem? Players over-emphasising their individual performance at the expense of building combinations. We certainly play like it...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad recovering in son-shine

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has challenged Joe Tapine to become a world-class middle forward, after he was dropped for the Cowboys game.

"Joe can be a world-class middle. It's just a matter of putting his mind to it and being consistent with performance and I'm sure that he'll be motivated to do that," Stuart said. "All of us have got to be onboard to play well individually and get the team result."

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... son-shine/

Ricky Stuart wants his old Papa back... while CNK spends recovery time with his sons in New Zealand: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 8#p1792788

Half the problem: The stats the Canberra Raiders must quickly improve

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has dismissed fitness as a reason for his team's second half slumps.

"I've identified areas of the matches we've played in where it's got away from us and we've spoken about that," Stuart said on Wednesday. "It's not a fatigue thing. Sometimes games don't go your way. A couple of the games we were beaten by a couple of better teams.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

The numbers behind Raiders' second-half woes

It's no secret the Green Machine has been falling away in second halves this year but the statistics have revealed just how stark the numbers are.

However Stuart he isn't letting on what the focus will be; pressed on whether he could reveal the areas that need adjusting are he said: "No, I don't want to."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/28/sta ... half-woes/

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Missed tackles the only stats that are noticeably worse in the second half, but the reasons are pretty obvious, just watching the games.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Feel free to say hello tomorrow at the game for whoever is going
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

radicalraider wrote: April 28, 2021, 5:18 pm Feel free to say hello tomorrow at the game for whoever is going
Will you have anymore inside information?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

We are quite obviously fatigued at around the 30 min mark of pretty much every game we have played this season.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 28, 2021, 3:37 pm Interesting that Ricky talks a lot about "individual performances". This is something he's said a lot, well prior to this season. It seems to be his coaching mantra

I'm speculating here, but could that be part of the problem? Players over-emphasising their individual performance at the expense of building combinations. We certainly play like it...
I don't buy it, at all, and never will when a team plays like this. Players don't magically all go bad individually at the same time.

By dropping certain players, Sticky has to be looking for a response from the player group as whole.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2021 Rd 8 V Rabbitohs: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by LastRaider »

I find the comments about Papa from Stuart quite insulting and the mummy cuddling around Croker unfair. Papa missed one tackle against Parramatta against Papil’li, probably the first in a long time (Papa doesn’t miss many tackles in a year) and he is being hung out to dry and basically saying he is out of form. Then on the other side, Croker gets a fake injury, no mention of his poor form and can’t wait for him to be back. No wonder Papa’s wife is upset!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse