33%
Cowboys 13+
6%

Total votes: 18

hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Re: 2021 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by hobbsy »

I just don't get how we can be so different across 2 halves. I know other games there have been injuries but we have been competitive or dominating in just about every game we have played this year in the first half then just fall apart in the 2nd?? Is it fitness? **** is going on? We have a number of problems but that is really standing out to me
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

exrefhollywood wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:31 pm I said this a few weeks back, in the stands and again this week we lost tonight because
We didn’t go forward after half time
Errors from kickoffs
Forward passes from dummy half x 3
Gubler unforced errors
Old, slow error riddled left side
Kris is no winger
The islanders are not happy
We are not fit enough
Our so called best forward pack in the comp are where???
The best hooker in the game since Cameron Smith is where????
Where is LuI? He played SOO last year and cannot make this squad????
And to make this claim...what have we won......ever.....making a gf and some finals is not winning the comp.....
We are a long way off the mark this year and I think there is some disharmony within the group
Both Corey’s were good. Starling was good and the halves are only as good as the forwards going forward....our back three haven’t got us on the front foot all season. Defensively we have fallen away from our attitude, and if you look at the last few weeks we have leaked more points than 3 quarters of last years total.....something is a miss in the capital
The Lui thing I really don't get... He looked good last year, sure he still had the occasional dropped ball but less the others. For some reason Stuart has decided that this year he isn't in the top 17, based on giving him a less than twenty minutes a game to prove himself...
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

hobbsy wrote: April 25, 2021, 3:33 am I just don't get how we can be so different across 2 halves. I know other games there have been injuries but we have been competitive or dominating in just about every game we have played this year in the first half then just fall apart in the 2nd?? Is it fitness? **** is going on? We have a number of problems but that is really standing out to me
We weren’t going that great in the first half either. It was ok, but not particularly crisp. It was still individual moments rather than a consistent performance.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

At the Dawn Service in Townsville. There was a bit of rain about but nice to come to the service in shorts and t shirt. Do that in Canberra and you won’t thaw out to October!!
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Bay53 wrote: April 25, 2021, 5:09 am
hobbsy wrote: April 25, 2021, 3:33 am I just don't get how we can be so different across 2 halves. I know other games there have been injuries but we have been competitive or dominating in just about every game we have played this year in the first half then just fall apart in the 2nd?? Is it fitness? **** is going on? We have a number of problems but that is really standing out to me
We weren’t going that great in the first half either. It was ok, but not particularly crisp. It was still individual moments rather than a consistent performance.
Yeah I don't disagree, but it is becoming a bit of a theme now. I'd be interested to see the stats of how many points we have scored and conceded in 1st half vs 2nd this year
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’ve just spent the last hour standing in my driveway..thinking..pondering..remembering..thanking.

I’ve switched off to what’s happening with our footy.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Uggh. Thought this was all just a **** dream.

hobbsy wrote: April 25, 2021, 6:20 am
Bay53 wrote: April 25, 2021, 5:09 am
Yeah I don't disagree, but it is becoming a bit of a theme now. I'd be interested to see the stats of how many points we have scored and conceded in 1st half vs 2nd this year
1st halves

Scored 91
Conceded 58

2nd halves

Scored 46
Conceded 93
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

In hindsight, the Sharks game was the wake up call. We fell over the line because they couldn't kick straight.
We also had CNK that day. Not saying he doesn't make a big difference to us on both sides of the ball, but his return doesn't suddenly turn things around.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:57 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:I think i am kind of in shock that 2 weeks after being considered premiership contenders, as a defence mechanism, I am being forced to transition into "roll your eyes/laugh at how **** we are" mode ala 2013/14 after we lose.
2 weeks, hey? I wonder what significant change to our squad, and perhaps our whole defensive structure, has occurred in the last two weeks?

I know I’m certainly stumped. For some reason our world class defence seems absolutely shot to pieces... like it’s missing its general or something
We’re missing CNK.
When he comes back, we should be sweet.
Our attack will be sorted...ask Brent Tate.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

The reality is we’ve been poor all season.
Sleep walking in second halves and impotent in attack...
We did nothing in the off-season to address our attacking concerns which were there for all of us to see...
The new rules just compound the problem...
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Last night confirmed to me why I hate the 6 Again Rule. Had no bearing on the result but it is wildly inconsistent. Felt like 7 or 8 called in 1st half then only a late one called 2nd half.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

radicalraider wrote: April 24, 2021, 11:47 pm
Bay53 wrote: April 24, 2021, 11:38 pm
Green Taipan wrote: April 24, 2021, 11:26 pm I'm stuck in lock-down in Perth so maybe I'm a little jaundiced about the boys performance tonight. But after an hour or so of fair dinkum reflection it is abundantly clear that we are gone for 2021! The Board has to take ownership and action to right the ship. The fossils have to be discarded. They include the coach, Croker and a number of other players that the coach has recruited! We are light years off the pace this year and while I know the Club values it's favourite sons it also embraces mediocrity! Time to clear house!
Green Taipan, sadly it doesn’t work like that. We have contracted players and they count to the salary cap unless they agree to leave early or go to another club.

The coach is a different matter, you can pay out a coach and get another, but I am not convinced Ricky is the issue.
Your spot on Taipan. We don't have the quality of players to adapt to the new game. Coach is responsible for that, so he shouldn't be part of a re-build which seems inevitable now
You can't blame the coach and recruitment team for not adapting to the new rules when they have been brought in overnight with no consultation. It's possible it is about the style of players, rather than quality. But I'm not sure about that. I think we are just in a funk.
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

Wiki Special wrote: April 25, 2021, 7:10 am Last night confirmed to me why I hate the 6 Again Rule. Had no bearing on the result but it is wildly inconsistent. Felt like 7 or 8 called in 1st half then only a late one called 2nd half.
Yep, I've been looking closely at it the last two weeks, and I have two big issues with the rule;
1) As you rightly point out the application of them is wildly inconsistent.
2) To date there is virtually zero scrutiny of them by the press, the refs and the public. Not like how you'd get complaints in the past about a lopsided penalty count. Now the broadcasters mention them as an interesting tidbit in passing but that's it.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

I just felt when the Raiders don't even have their much-vaunted forward dominance though their pack, they just looked all the more a pretty poorly-coached side. passing seldom looks sharp and slick, either in attack or in midfield (yes, other teams manage to do that!), and how many kicks when over the sideline or straight into the bread-basket of a defender? Starling was energetic, but he didn't have the greatest of games either.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Greedysmurf wrote: April 25, 2021, 7:26 am Now the broadcasters mention them as an interesting tidbit in passing but that's it.
Yeah, because *everyone* wants it to be a success, cos, wow, it speeds the game up and makes it more exciting and marketable, and its drawbacks are not overly debated.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2021 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2021, 11:27 pm It’s bizarre. He’s gone from running this whole CNK is a poor ball player agenda (which I don’t disagree with) to somehow morphing it into we don’t miss the guy in defence and you’re stupid for suggesting it.
Probably should give up when you're behind, dude. Trying to misrepresent and mischaracterise as a tactic to make someone look nuts may work on some newb, but it's not gonna work here.

So this isn’t you posting last week saying that we lose nothing with Aekins? (And me CLEARLY stating that CNK isn’t the only problem once again despite your repeated insistence that’s my argument).
afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote:
afgtnk wrote:You're literally one of two people attributing the loss to CNK's absence.

Barely anyone is buying it, and you shouldn't even attempt to try and sell. Caleb Aekins had a very solid game tonight in line with expectations.
I’m not attributing the loss to missing CNK. There’s clearly a number of issues across the paddock at the moment.

I’m just saying it’s not surprising our defence got dramatically worse when you take out our defensively superb fullback.

But you can’t bring yourself even to admit the obvious.
The absence of our 'defensively superb fullback' is not responsible for some Eels forward strolling through our right edge on the line. There is **** nothing he could or would do there that Aekins didn't do, who if you're not aware, is also an adept defensive fullback.
Who is misrepresenting here again?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Clearly you. What you've quoted does not have me saying that we lose nothing with Aekins.

Further, if you didn't truly believe that CNK's absence wasn't the only problem plaguing us, you'd actually be touching on the other things that you claim to believe are, instead of just banging on about CNK only.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:Clearly you. What you've quoted does not have me saying that we lose nothing with Aekins.

Further, if you didn't truly believe that CNK's absence wasn't the only problem plaguing us, you'd actually be touching on the other things that you claim to believe are, instead of just banging on about CNK only.
So let’s get this straight then. You’re arguing that you chose one try where in your opinion Aekins vs CNK made no difference (which I disagree with completely), in a game where we were clearly defensively weaker without CNK, to make what rebuttal to the request to acknowledge we were defensively weaker?

I mean that’s just intellectually dishonest.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

You don't even know what you're **** arguing dude.

You're constantly insinuating that CNK is the difference between what we are now and what we should be, then putting in a piss weak disclaimer about how you believe he's actually just one of our issues the minute you're called out. Like anyone is **** buying it.

I don't care anymore. I'm too depressed today to be debating average to below average fullbacks that won't help deliver us a premiership. CNK isn't good enough, neither is Aekins.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I think CNK doesnt win you a premiership... but he certainly doesnt lose you one. He is a good quality fullback and can compliment any team.

Our backs are generally slow and we simply arent dangerous in attack, maybe because of this. I dare say our backs on average are the slowest in the comp.

All this compounded with lack of confidence.

I think its time to rebuild our backs.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

There's no doubt missing CNK is making a big difference in our performances. There's deeper problems for sure, but it doesn't help with him gone.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Aekins was horrid defensively. He has no business being in first grade if he cant even be in a position to at least compete for a grubber put through the line on tackle 6.

We undoubtedly win that game with CNK there but there are obviously some other big issues. Firstly we need to find some outside backs that can get us on the front foot to start our sets.

Having said all that and as bad as we were in the 2nd half the cowboys should get a little credit. 17/17 in the second half and gave us nothing. The lack of any sort of pace or power coming out of our own end meant we couldnt create any momentum for our middles and halves to work with
The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Can anyone post a summary of stuarts presser after last night?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Had plenty of chances, can't fault the effort, they didn't give us much in the 2nd half.

Pretty much it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Green Hornet
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by The Green Hornet »

Thanks TW
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Green Hornet wrote: April 25, 2021, 9:01 am Can anyone post a summary of stuarts presser after last night?
In Through green eyes every week: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 5#p1791945
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2021 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

-TW- wrote:Had plenty of chances, can't fault the effort, they didn't give us much in the 2nd half.

Pretty much it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
It was underwhelming
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

afgtnk wrote: April 25, 2021, 8:30 am You don't even know what you're **** arguing dude.

You're constantly insinuating that CNK is the difference between what we are now and what we should be, then putting in a piss weak disclaimer about how you believe he's actually just one of our issues the minute you're called out. Like anyone is **** buying it.

I don't care anymore. I'm too depressed today to be debating average to below average fullbacks that won't help deliver us a premiership. CNK isn't good enough, neither is Aekins.
:roflmao Pretty much it for 90% of our squad.
This place is woke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote: I don't care anymore. I'm too depressed today to be debating average to below average fullbacks that won't help deliver us a premiership. CNK isn't good enough, neither is Aekins.
Shadowboxing out is definitely your best option at this point.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

There's something not right with papalii. He doesn't seem happy or hungry to win. I don't think he's the only one.. it's a few of his Polynesian mates too ( Lui and tapine).. There's a division in the playing group or feud with the coach.. they're not playing for each other like last 2 yrs.
Even the way Stuart and Mick Ennis spoke last night you could tell he's covering up a bigger issue..
Last edited by radicalraider on April 25, 2021, 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Is it too early to hang the MM medal around Suttons neck.

He’s having a serious dig in 21.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I don't know that Sticky publicly saying last week that some players weren't having a go is conducive to team performance no matter that the statement was true. It creates a divide that will be a challenge to correct.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

radicalraider wrote: April 25, 2021, 10:15 am There's something not right with papalii. He doesn't seem happy or hungry to win. I don't think he's the only one.. it's a few of his Polynesian mates too ( Lui and tapine).. There's a division in the playing group or feud with the coach.. they're not playing for each other like last 2 yrs.
Even the way Stuart and Mick Ennis spoke last night you could tell he's covering up a bigger issue..
If this is true... which it could very well be ... we could be toast for a few seasons.

Hope its not the case!
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

RedRaider wrote: April 25, 2021, 11:03 am I don't know that Sticky publicly saying last week that some players weren't having a go is conducive to team performance no matter that the statement was true. It creates a divide that will be a challenge to correct.
Its an interesting one. Its difficult as some of our leaders/snr players havent been performing. So one can't keep picking them while putting pressure on some of the other players.

So you could be right, but without all the context on the conversations that go on its hard to judge.

One thing for sure is: we sucked against parra and we were worse last night. Confidence is down big time and i think there might be a growing acknowledgement that we cant win a premiership with this roster.
Dimes
Peter Jackson

Post by Dimes »

-PJ- wrote: April 25, 2021, 10:17 am Is it too early to hang the MM medal around Suttons neck.

He’s having a serious dig in 21.
Yes. A small flicker of light amongst the blackness and doom

We must clone him