Total votes: 18

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: 2021 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:18 pm
afgtnk wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:14 pm
Raider47 wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:10 pm I feel sad that it's gotten to this and I fully understand that a player like Sam Williams is not a game breaker or anything but...

I think he needs to come in next week for George Williams. We need a steady head who can steer a ship. Our halves are headless chooks and bloody abysmal.

We are poorly coached though this season so I do understand any more changes may well do SFA.
Agree - let's give Sammy a run and see what he can do. Trollolololol

Lol.

Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

I have to say I am down at the moment, but at least it's April. This is what I'm telling all my work *****. It's not good but we will build to September. Top 8 is probably more realistic at this point and hopefully peaking then. With our squad, I thought we would be 1 or 2 but we have been smacked in the face thus far so let's hope we can re-align from here.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Honestly, look at our next five games. We will be lucky to beat the Dogs out of that bunch. For once Azza is right. Season over.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Finchy wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:26 pm Honestly, look at our next five games. We will be lucky to beat the Dogs out of that bunch. For once Azza is right. Season over.
Yeah but the funny thing is, when we least expect it, we win.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

North Queensland Cowboys come back to win thriller over Canberra Raiders

A Justin O'Neill try capped an 18-point North Queensland Cowboys comeback to hand Canberra a third-straight loss and sink the Raiders' season to a new low.

Valentine Holmes' penalty goal on 69 minutes, following a late hit by 150th gamer Ryan James on halfback Ben Hampton, sealed a two-point win for the Cowboys who have now won three straight.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH REPORT: North Queensland has registered a third win on the trot and claimed the biggest scalp so far with a 26-24 victory over Canberra in Townsville on Saturday night: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d47c9ff9ac

MATCH REPORT: Holmes dazzles as Cowboys storm home to upset Raiders: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/24/hol ... t-raiders/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders let lead slip in Townsville: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ownsville/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Cowboys: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/24/mat ... v-raiders/

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Cowboys: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... nd-7-2020/

PRESS CONFERENCE: Ricky Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... s-round-7/

PRESS CONFERENCE: Todd Payten: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... s-round-7/
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

I said this a few weeks back, in the stands and again this week we lost tonight because
We didn’t go forward after half time
Errors from kickoffs
Forward passes from dummy half x 3
Gubler unforced errors
Old, slow error riddled left side
Kris is no winger
The islanders are not happy
We are not fit enough
Our so called best forward pack in the comp are where???
The best hooker in the game since Cameron Smith is where????
Where is LuI? He played SOO last year and cannot make this squad????
And to make this claim...what have we won......ever.....making a gf and some finals is not winning the comp.....
We are a long way off the mark this year and I think there is some disharmony within the group
Both Corey’s were good. Starling was good and the halves are only as good as the forwards going forward....our back three haven’t got us on the front foot all season. Defensively we have fallen away from our attitude, and if you look at the last few weeks we have leaked more points than 3 quarters of last years total.....something is a miss in the capital
AJL
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by AJL »

We looked ok going to the left in the first half because we had some threat in the middle. Jack ran the ball just enough to keep the defence interested and give enough space. The middles were making some dents.
After half time that changed. Jack wasn't taking the line on much, and when he did he almost stole the game for us. Our forwards were going nowhere. When we went wide, it was slow, predictable and easily defended.
I fear we have gone past the point of being a good, experienced team, and simply become old and slow. Just a bit of youthful exuberance couldn't hurt right now.
Canberra Raiders
Member No. 1130

Breeding Raiders members since 2010
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

Little Aiken got found out hard tonight, he needed at the very least to be in the contest for those try’s off kicks.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

3 out of our 4 tries came from 2nd phase plays. We are most dangerous when our big men attract defenders than give an offload to our strong runners ( Jack, can, gw).. not when we play laterally and look slow and predictable..
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

I'm Bate Man wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:36 pm Little Aiken got found out hard tonight, he needed at the very least to be in the contest for those try’s off kicks.
Yep he was pretty bad tonight.

Gosh I knew we would miss CNK but I didn't know it would be this much.
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Green Taipan wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:08 pm
Luffto wrote: April 24, 2021, 9:48 pm Reckon we're that close to being a premiership team. Losing to a strong team like that away from home and only losing by two. We'll be right.
I love your enthusiasm but you are delusional; there are at least 6 teams better than NQ! We are not top 8 material!
Piss off champ, they've won 3 in a row. What more do you want from them?
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Green Taipan wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:08 pm
Luffto wrote: April 24, 2021, 9:48 pm Reckon we're that close to being a premiership team. Losing to a strong team like that away from home and only losing by two. We'll be right.
I love your enthusiasm but you are delusional; there are at least 6 teams better than NQ! We are not top 8 material!
Piss off champ, they've won 3 in a row. What more do you want from them?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’ve been saying it all season and Gergreg as well.

Our halves have to stop running the outside angle all the time. Our halves can never pass back on the inside because they are running diagonally or sideways.

This puts so much pressure on our outside players and doesn’t fully threaten the defence.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

One thing that hasn't been talked about much...why did we not have a crack at the 2 points to tie the game with about 6 minutes left?

It was about 38-39 metres out. Surely that should have been a chance for Croker to show some leadership and actually make a valuable contribution doing one of the things he still can competently do.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:How the actual f**** do we go from apparent premiership contenders to a wooden spoon rabble in 15 days?

It’s mind boggling
It’s almost like a key spine player got injured in those 15 days somewhere... but what would I know??
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Sezer offers more than GW.. Bj offers more than Scott... well done Ricky
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:45 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:How the actual f**** do we go from apparent premiership contenders to a wooden spoon rabble in 15 days?

It’s mind boggling
It’s almost like a key spine player got injured in those 15 days somewhere... but what would I know??
If this whole debacle is merely about CNK then that goes some way to contextualising our structural deficiencies and lends credence to the oft voiced concern that even at our best we have merely rely on individual brilliance, rather than sound fundamental structures.
Up The Milk
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

Mickey_Raider wrote:One thing that hasn't been talked about much...why did we not have a crack at the 2 points to tie the game with about 6 minutes left?

It was about 38-39 metres out. Surely that should have been a chance for Croker to show some leadership and actually make a valuable contribution doing one of the things he still can competently do.
What made that decision worse is we only kicked it to the 30m line, we might have well have had 20m line drop out to get tackled on the 40m line.

Mind boggling, it’s not like they looked like scoring points at any point in the second half.

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

It’s mind boggling
You do realise that we only conceded 12 points in the corresponding fixture against the Cows last season when he wasn't playing like tonight, and 28 points in the corresponding fixture against the Panthers when he was?

Please don't let facts get in the way of a good barrow push though. Don't want that.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

exrefhollywood wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:31 pm I said this a few weeks back, in the stands and again this week we lost tonight because
We didn’t go forward after half time
Errors from kickoffs
Forward passes from dummy half x 3
Gubler unforced errors
Old, slow error riddled left side
Kris is no winger
The islanders are not happy
We are not fit enough
Our so called best forward pack in the comp are where???
The best hooker in the game since Cameron Smith is where????
Where is LuI? He played SOO last year and cannot make this squad????
And to make this claim...what have we won......ever.....making a gf and some finals is not winning the comp.....
We are a long way off the mark this year and I think there is some disharmony within the group
Both Corey’s were good. Starling was good and the halves are only as good as the forwards going forward....our back three haven’t got us on the front foot all season. Defensively we have fallen away from our attitude, and if you look at the last few weeks we have leaked more points than 3 quarters of last years total.....something is a miss in the capital
317 total last year, 151 this year. Unless my maths is worse than I thought, that's less that half, not more than 3/4. Still bad though, for only 7 rounds in.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

The Nickman wrote:

It’s mind boggling
That’s true but the good teams can still get the job done.

Look at Penrith, Souths and Roosters.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker

Post by Postman Pat »

Mickey_Raider wrote:

It’s mind boggling
If this whole debacle is merely about CNK then that goes some way to contextualising our structural deficiencies and lends credence to the oft voiced concern that even at our best we have merely rely on individual brilliance, rather than sound fundamental structures.
You don’t lose to the current Cowboys because your first choice fullback got injured, it’s so much deeper then that.

The entire team is out of form therefore playing without any confidence, at least the Hodgo’s crap brigade can take a rest.

exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

The Melbourne’s, roosters all evolve from season to season to keep atop of their game and make roster changes to keep them ahead...as much as the raiders have been good the last few years, it is time for an injection of youth to our squad
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus

Post by exrefhollywood »

The Melbourne’s, roosters all evolve from season to season to keep atop of their game and make roster changes to keep them ahead...as much as the raiders have been good the last few years, it is time for an injection of youth to our squad
BJ
Steve Walters

2021 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Game Day

Post by BJ »

Another point around our halves running diagonally is it increases the likelihood of Wighton kicking out on the full. If he connects too well or the ball slightly comes off the outside of the boot, then it’s a good chance of going out on the full.

It ain’t rocket science.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

exrefhollywood wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:53 pm The Melbourne’s, roosters all evolve from season to season to keep atop of their game and make roster changes to keep them ahead...as much as the raiders have been good the last few years, it is time for an injection of youth to our squad
They have a smart enough coach
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Mickey_Raider wrote:I think i am kind of in shock that 2 weeks after being considered premiership contenders, as a defence mechanism, I am being forced to transition into "roll your eyes/laugh at how **** we are" mode ala 2013/14 after we lose.
2 weeks, hey? I wonder what significant change to our squad, and perhaps our whole defensive structure, has occurred in the last two weeks?

I know I’m certainly stumped. For some reason our world class defence seems absolutely shot to pieces... like it’s missing its general or something
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

If you are going to run diagonally, you have to have the outside players run inside. It's just common football sense. Which we don't have
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

There's only one way to fix it. Rebuild and overhaul the Squad. We're in for a long 3 years with these passengers..
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Tapine seems happy enough on his instagram. Doesn't seem to care at all
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

The Nickman wrote:This is going to be a deadset debarkle.
Yup, nailed it.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: April 24, 2021, 10:57 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:I think i am kind of in shock that 2 weeks after being considered premiership contenders, as a defence mechanism, I am being forced to transition into "roll your eyes/laugh at how **** we are" mode ala 2013/14 after we lose.
2 weeks, hey? I wonder what significant change to our squad, and perhaps our whole defensive structure, has occurred in the last two weeks?

I know I’m certainly stumped. For some reason our world class defence seems absolutely shot to pieces... like it’s missing its general or something
Like it was shot to pieces when he didn't play against the Cows in Townsville last season. Hahaha hey?!

Or how it managed to keep solid and limit the Panthers to only 28 points last season when he played, instead of 30 this season. Hahaha. Ay? Ay?!
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 22, 2021, 9:52 am Mark my words right now... Cowboys will put at least 20 on us, we need our attack to fire accordingly to outscore them.
:roflmao
Haha yeah, hilarious, right??
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 22, 2021, 9:52 am Mark my words right now... Cowboys will put at least 20 on us, we need our attack to fire accordingly to outscore them.
Ohh I've marked them.
Great. And where did you mark them??
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Ricky talking about all the defence we had to do, but I would say it was 2018 style defence. We are allowing the opposition ball carrier to continue to make ground after contact. We are not driving them back as we did in 2019 and 2020. There is the odd big hit but it is not shutting down the opposition momentum by continually forcing them backwards tackle after tackle, set after set. If we can get back to doing that it will build confidence in other areas of our game.

Whatever the half time message has been over the past few weeks it has not been effective. It seems to have a been a message of defending a lead instead of continuing to do the things which built the lead. The poor defence, the poor passing (over the sideline in particular), the lack of aggressive running (did Aekins pick up an injury), the inability to defend an error or get back into the game with a solid set of six on receiving the ball back, are all things which we have rarely seen over the past 2 seasons. Who is calling the last tackle options? No one it seems. Where have the grubber plays gone to get the ball into the ingoal?