Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

FROG
Brett Mullins

Re: Coaching issues

Post by FROG »

Ultima wrote: April 20, 2021, 5:49 pm Well the super coach decided to drop Tapine, Soliola, and Simonsson out of the side and put Papalii on the, yet again, all forwards bench...

Stuart is basically betting that the same thing couldn't possible happen to us again... I don't get why he thinks our forwards are so unfit we need four on the bench when most other teams carry a back for insurance. He almost religiously "saves" one player for a random 7 minute run anyway( by the time we have either already lost or already won the game) so this tactic just makes ZERO logical sense!

Does Stuart have house and car insurance, or does he just assume he will never need it?

I also don't get how James was so out of form he dropped from last week, but now goes straight into the starting lineup? I mean I agree he should be, but if Stuart agrees, why was he dropped last week? Is he just rotating forwards for the hell of it against premiership contenders now? Or is he considering the Cowboys and easy win so this is his rotating in now?!?! I just don't get the concept behind any of it...
I think he considers CHN to provide adequate back coverage and I'd agree with him as he could slot into the centres in a pinch
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

On the issue of coaching, why don't we look into hiring a halves consultant/coach for Jack and G Williams - like Cronk for Roosters and Drug Johns for Parra? I see Moses has improved all facets of his game. Jack needs tuition on his kicking. Stuart, our best ever halfback, hasn't been able to do it successfully. Ennis needs to spend time with Hodgson. Maybe Hodgson can move to Sydney in the next 2 weeks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: April 20, 2021, 11:22 pm
Ultima wrote: April 20, 2021, 5:49 pm Well the super coach decided to drop Tapine, Soliola, and Simonsson out of the side and put Papalii on the, yet again, all forwards bench...

Stuart is basically betting that the same thing couldn't possible happen to us again... I don't get why he thinks our forwards are so unfit we need four on the bench when most other teams carry a back for insurance. He almost religiously "saves" one player for a random 7 minute run anyway( by the time we have either already lost or already won the game) so this tactic just makes ZERO logical sense!

Does Stuart have house and car insurance, or does he just assume he will never need it?

I also don't get how James was so out of form he dropped from last week, but now goes straight into the starting lineup? I mean I agree he should be, but if Stuart agrees, why was he dropped last week? Is he just rotating forwards for the hell of it against premiership contenders now? Or is he considering the Cowboys and easy win so this is his rotating in now?!?! I just don't get the concept behind any of it...
I think he considers CHN to provide adequate back coverage and I'd agree with him as he could slot into the centres in a pinch
He's actually been a starting NRL centre by choice at times in his career and he still has superior speed (not necessarily awareness) than Whitehead so he'd be a step up as a makeshift centre than dragging Whitehead out there.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 21, 2021, 4:49 am On the issue of coaching, why don't we look into hiring a halves consultant/coach for Jack and G Williams - like Cronk for Roosters and Drug Johns for Parra? I see Moses has improved all facets of his game. Jack needs tuition on his kicking. Stuart, our best ever halfback, hasn't been able to do it successfully. Ennis needs to spend time with Hodgson. Maybe Hodgson can move to Sydney in the next 2 weeks.
Wighton has a kicking coach. Or at least had one. I've heard him talk about it
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 21, 2021, 8:31 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 21, 2021, 4:49 am On the issue of coaching, why don't we look into hiring a halves consultant/coach for Jack and G Williams - like Cronk for Roosters and Drug Johns for Parra? I see Moses has improved all facets of his game. Jack needs tuition on his kicking. Stuart, our best ever halfback, hasn't been able to do it successfully. Ennis needs to spend time with Hodgson. Maybe Hodgson can move to Sydney in the next 2 weeks.
Wighton has a kicking coach. Or at least had one. I've heard him talk about it
Probably Stuart haha
BJ
Steve Walters

Coaching issues

Post by BJ »

I see the problem now, Wighton’s kicking coach is the guy who professionally kicks balls into the grandstand as a crowd promotion.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Viktor the Viking? Ooft

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

BJ wrote: April 21, 2021, 12:03 pm I see the problem now, Wighton’s kicking coach is the guy who professionally kicks balls into the grandstand as a crowd promotion.
🤣 I think he's a reasonable kicker. He should have had a kick try assist v Penrith. Has a very big boot for long kicks and bombs. But is a confidence kicker like the rest of his game
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Awesome coaching there again, Havili playing under ten minutes, the team looked like they spend the week on a bender, not practicing... We are a professional team right? They do actually do this full time right? It's not like this is just their weekend gig, they look **** TRASH in pretty much every aspect of the game, either our team which made it to the grand final under two years ago was all riding on the back of Sezer or something is wrong with how we are using them...
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Ah I see what you mean now. "Coaching issues" lol.

**** coach and **** captain.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

It has to be coaching and conditioning right? Did we lose all our support staff this year or something? We look so unfit and disinterested... Looks like they haven't practiced anything, even when they do come off half our passing looks like what you expect in the under 20's...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We're fading out in second halves badly, to the point where it's become a theme. The eye also tells me we routinely look shot towards the back end - the runs get much slower and weaker, the defensive line loses most of its speed.

Conditioning has to come into question here.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Biggest issue is that he hasn't really got any player other than Sutton playing at his best.

Just about every player has regressed over the last season. Not good signs.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Wheel out the double-barrelled cannon...
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

It's becoming clearer just how reliant we were on an in-form Tapine and Papa

Without them we just look like a regular bottom team
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

afgtnk wrote: April 24, 2021, 9:41 pm We're fading out in second halves badly, to the point where it's become a theme. The eye also tells me we routinely look shot towards the back end - the runs get much slower and weaker, the defensive line loses most of its speed.

Conditioning has to come into question here.
Looks like 100% conditioning at the moment. 5 of 7 games we've been out of gas back end of the game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

Let's be honest guys, since Ricky took over the attack, we have never had good shape in the backs, the forwards run 1 out, and we have still succeeded due to individual brilliance.

But our guys are older now, and the lack of coaching is there for all to see (in my opinion of course, but that hasn't changed since we had BJ, Raps, Papa etc doing cool things to get us wins)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

It's OK all, we just need to "stick solid", whatever that's meant to mean...

Stuart says Raiders need to 'stick solid' to get back on track

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart maintains only hard work will get his Raiders side free of the mini-slump they find themselves in after three straight losses.

"We just need to keep working hard and sticking together," Stuart said. "We’ve been in this position before. We’ve just got to stick solid and work our way out of it.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/24/stu ... -on-track/

Did Stuart fail a HIA recently or something? Stick solid?!?!?! We need to throw out what ever the **** we are doing for training, conditioning, practice, game plans, the entire works! There is NOTHING out there which looks premiership contender level!
Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

Our inability to get out of the 20 has become more and more of a problem with each replacement in the 3/4s over the past few years, and has become an obvious weakness to exploit. Kick behind a slower Rapana, the other backs will never threaten to make a dent, spreading the ball isn't a threat because we lack speed on the edges, and Williams/Wighton don't have a good/consistent long-kicking game. We're such an easy team to win the territory game against now. Everything else flows from this.

The obvious answer to this would be to go old fashioned and use the pack to get us out of those holes, with an aggressive forward rotation (ie the 3 Middle Forwards on the bench). To some degree, this feels like what Ricky was aiming for this year. I just can't wrap my head around how a team with so many first-grade proven middle forwards, with a good mix of ages, with the luxury to rotate for form or fatigue, can be allowing us to get into this situation, being outlasted by every other pack. Yes, we never seem to balance workloads between the forwards within a match and they inevitably end up gassed; while we have someone waiting for their 10m stint after the game is lost, which is madness. I just can't see that being the explanation for why everyone other than Sutton looks like they can't be up for their full stint.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Stick solid boys..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

What we need here is a good ole fashion bonding session..

It will raise the troops morale.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Ultima wrote: April 25, 2021, 12:47 am It's OK all, we just need to "stick solid", whatever that's meant to mean...

Stuart says Raiders need to 'stick solid' to get back on track

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart maintains only hard work will get his Raiders side free of the mini-slump they find themselves in after three straight losses.

"We just need to keep working hard and sticking together," Stuart said. "We’ve been in this position before. We’ve just got to stick solid and work our way out of it.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/24/stu ... -on-track/

Did Stuart fail a HIA recently or something? Stick solid?!?!?! We need to throw out what ever the **** we are doing for training, conditioning, practice, game plans, the entire works! There is NOTHING out there which looks premiership contender level!
He’s gone full Dennis Denuto there
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We made 13 errors in that game and completed at less than 70%.

Some players are performing well below their best.

That's our problem.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Stick solid?
Code for pig headedness ?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

He's a **** stubborn prick, that Ricky.

He wants us to be mainly playing forwards heavy, defence oriented, safe, conservative middle third football. That's what he thinks is going to give us the best shot at winning a premiership right now, and I don't think that's going to change this season.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: April 25, 2021, 8:21 am He's a **** stubborn prick, that Ricky.

He wants us to be mainly playing forwards heavy, defence oriented, safe, conservative middle third football. That's what he thinks is going to give us the best shot at winning a premiership right now, and I don't think that's going to change this season.
Completely agree.
Just as the game has gone past Croker, the same can be said about Ricky’s “coaching”.
It’s as if he gave no consideration to the rule changes and as a result we have a team gassed by half time.
Our backs can’t advance the ball beyond our returning forwards on kick returns without eating 3 tackles...
Our forwards can barely hit 100 run meters consistently...
We’re playing outdated football with a handicapped backline.
But que the knuckleheads who think missing CNK is the reason. Bless their cotton socks...
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coaching issues

Post by gangrenous »

GreenMachine wrote: But que the knuckleheads who think missing CNK is the reason. Bless their cotton socks...
Cue

Yours sincerely,
Forum Knucklehead
Last edited by gangrenous on April 25, 2021, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Cue Furner now, expect another contract extension announcement soon. Such a Raiders thing to do

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coaching issues

Post by gangrenous »

We’ve been here before with Ricky.

In 2017 and 2018 we had similar problems with the team personnel and strategy not being changed to suit the evolving game.

He was able to do a complete reset and put us in good position to compete in 2019 and 2020. So I certainly am not going to rule out that he can adjust again.

But he does seem to have a serious problem of only doing these shifts in step changes between seasons. He is not actively looking at changes in the game and adapting continuously. He seems to pick a path for the year and ride it hard to the end.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: April 25, 2021, 8:21 am He's a **** stubborn prick, that Ricky.

How the **** do we make 13 errors playing that kind of footy?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gangrenous wrote: April 25, 2021, 8:37 am
GreenMachine wrote: But que the knuckleheads who think missing CNK is the reason. Bless their cotton socks...
Cue

Yours sincerely,
Forum Knucklehead
Judging by the amount of times Aekins was caught out positionally by a kick or arrived at the scene of a try just in the nick of time to be completely inneffective in doing anything about it...

We might have snuck home in that one if he played, whatever else anyone thinks of his other facets, he absolutely gets to one of those kicks and is physically robust and aggressive enough to make a difference at a couple of those where they were just stretching out at the line. Those are things CNK actually does every week to stop tries.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Let's not forget the 200+ run metres CNK makes a game. What he lacks in speed and ball playing he makes up in other areas and nobody is filling the void.

Expect to see every other side play the field position game with us. Kick in behind the wingers because we can't ruck it out... at all. We struggle to make it back to our 40 metre line because we refuse to shift the ball against a compressed line, because we're so caught up on completions and we have no speed out wide.

The most frustrating part for me is Ricky is on the 'game/rules' committee, so he should be making better structure/style and recruitment decisions. Or he should be influencing that committee based on our team make-up.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Aekins has run for 196 and 219 the last two weeks
He's very much picking up that slack from CNK. It's one area where we have virtually lost nothing in the change.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:Aekins has run for 196 and 219 the last two weeks
He's very much picking up that slack from CNK. It's one area where we have virtually lost nothing in the change.
OK, didn't notice. Too depressing to revisit a game as woeful as the last 2.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Wow Aekins running 200m, must be the slowest ever run

He just seems to get in the way