Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Coaching issues

Post by -TW- »

That tends to happen when the players run the club, they get their noses out of joint when the big calls have to be made

Wouldn't see that at Melbourne or the roosters

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: May 2, 2021, 12:32 pm That tends to happen when the players run the club, they get their noses out of joint when the big calls have to be made

Wouldn't see that at Melbourne or the roosters

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
In this case its the rise of the women not the players

This is more about the wives thinking their man is THE MAN and not just part of the team.

You kinda saw it in Melbourne with Cam Smith's missus, just in a more grown up way then instagram

Ricky or someone at the club ( footy manager? Donny? Welfare guy?) Needs to pull the boys aside and tell them their is consequences to their wives behaviour including them looking for new jobs.
Do you think with all the drama the broncos have had they would want pappa with this kind of baggage? Mal admitted he still supports and goes for the raiders when we play the titans, would he want that kinda player at the titans?

Don't think this is going to end well
Vaccinated
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Rick wrote:Stick should name Tapine on the bench and keep him there for the full 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So are saying he should “stick” Tapine on the bench for a “solid” 80 minutes, “Rick”?
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

The Nickman wrote:
Rick wrote:Stick should name Tapine on the bench and keep him there for the full 80.

So are saying he should “stick” Tapine on the bench for a “solid” 80 minutes, “Rick”?
Yep.

Make it happen. Not like we use the 4th player anyway.

That will give her something to whinge about.

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

I dont disagree with her comment but coming out on social media is not a great thing for the team and club. It does indicate player sentiment. Friends talk.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Finchy wrote: May 2, 2021, 9:00 am With all the losses the Broncos, Bulldogs, Tigers, and Cowboys have had the last few years, I’ve not heard about any of the players wives blasting the coach on social media, even though I’m sure plenty of players were unhappy with aspects of the coaching. Unfortunately I suspect the only way to get some unity back in the team and get some defensive steel is to rebuild. Similar to when there was massive unrest, infighting, and terrible defense when we had Austin and BJ, both are no longer here. I suspect a huge cleanout is coming in the not too distant future. Time for some new blood, and younger faster legs.
I hope your right.
The current squad is not up to the task with the new rules...
Offload what we can and rebuild from the backline... keep a few forwards and break up any cliques..
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Stuart's use of the interchange sucks, but to be fair, I wouldn't mind seeing our highly paid international forwards get back onside and ready to take a hitup prior to tackle 4 every set.

Some of the effort this year has been embarrassing.

CNK has been our best defender and our best middle forward this season (a touch of sarcasm there) - both areas we have sucked at over the past 3 rounds. That's why I miss him so much.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on May 2, 2021, 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well without Papa and Tapine, there'd have been no prelim last year

Tread carefully Stick
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I wonder if there's anyone on the coaching staff prepared to tell Stuart he's stuffing up his interchange. I suspect not. Wouldn't mind at least one fresh voice to be drafted in.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Thinking of hiring Tapine’s partner?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:
bonehead wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Quality trolling boney Image
I'm partly serious, he's the only decent candidate

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
He led a regime of cheating and blatantly defied his punishment. Clearly a jerk.

Not if he were the last coach on earth and we had the spoon with zero wins.
a do what it takes attitude

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

There’s do what it takes and there’s outright cheating.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

So our "reserves" for this week include one second best prop from last year (Lui) and James who I don't think has put a foot wrong in any of the limited minutes he has been given... And still no backs on the bench... Would be **** nice if Stuart learnt a single **** thing from his mistakes, instead he just seems to **** double down each week...

Additionally, Tapine starting on the bench instead of at lock: Tapine started the first three weeks at lock, then was injured, then listed as lock but benched and hasn't played well since... This "I'll put you on the bench" "punishment" isn't working, but Stuart is a stubborn old prick and will just keep treating the players like children and hoping for a result...

What's even more nuts, how are we falling apart worse than the Broncos?!?!? The Broncos, who won the Wooden Spoon last year and were a favourite to go for a double act, while in comparison we were in the top 4 and a premiership favourite... There has to be more to it than "poor form" and the lack of transparency is just **** me. Cut out the old, bring in some fresh blood to the coaching ranks already.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Addo-Carr scored six tries in one match, that's more tries than the Raiders have scored in the last six games after half time... Maybe it's best Stuart doesn't speak with the team at half time?
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Ultima wrote: May 6, 2021, 9:58 pm Addo-Carr scored six tries in one match, that's more tries than the Raiders have scored in the last six games after half time... Maybe it's best Stuart doesn't speak with the team at half time?
Time for a cushy corporate job for Rick... let him be the King of Queanbeyan away from the playing/on-field side of the operation and get some new blood in there instead
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: May 7, 2021, 12:13 pm
Ultima wrote: May 6, 2021, 9:58 pm Addo-Carr scored six tries in one match, that's more tries than the Raiders have scored in the last six games after half time... Maybe it's best Stuart doesn't speak with the team at half time?
Time for a cushy corporate job for Rick... let him be the King of Queanbeyan away from the playing/on-field side of the operation and get some new blood in there instead
I love how we never suggest anyone is sacked but rather moved to back of house cushy jobs. I’m trying to picture this mythical office space in a few years time - Ricky, Sia, Croker among an assortment of other favourites all soaking up salaries without any clue of what their actual jobs are. Sounds like an episode of the office!
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Don’t get me wrong, I’d sack them outright! But I’m realistic enough to realise when you’re talking about the club’s favourite sons, they are all kept close to the bosom.

I don’t think you last long at the Canberra Raiders if you’re the type of person that tells others things that they need to hear... but you’ll go a long way telling them what they want to hear
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

I keep seeing people say we need an "organising half" etc. To what end? Like Stuart would let any half play his natural game. He would start out awesome, the next year have a bit of a slump, the following year get homesick and leave after his form has fallen in the toilet. Stuart over coaches players, trying to set up these elaborate players and game plans from the 1980's instead of just letting them play with their natural instincts and talent.

We only look good in attack when we are playing adlib football. I honestly think the biggest difference this year is no players who go against Stuarts orders. Previously we have had BJ, Bateman, Cotric, Hodgson before he was too over coached, CNK, even Rapana and Sezer willing to throw some crazy passes or do something outside of the playbook which makes all the players around them drop the over coached garbage plays which people can read coming from a week earlier and just play heads up footy.

We need more of that, we aren't losing because we are trying too many risky plays, we are losing because our attack stinks and our Defence has gone to **** with everyone's attitudes.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Re: Sack Stuart, I'm over it.

Post by Ultima »

Renamed the thread...

So yeah... Bye Stuart and thanks for the years you've taken off my life watching us fall apart every second half...
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

He delivers cracking motivational talks at half-time.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Wishing I dropped that $50 on Knights at half time. :(
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Wooden spoon contenders?
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

The bloke looks to have lost the dressing shed. He's dropped and rested players and no matter what he does he can't get 17 blokes to stick at it for 80 minutes.

Given how long he's been at it and how many times he has gone close and then fallen in a deep hole, you couldn't seriously believe giving Ricky Stuart another rebuild would turn out any different.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Stuart is not the right coach to take us forward

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Really depressing. No points again in the 2nd half. 16-0 down again. Ricky you cannot blame the refs for this one. You blamed the refs for Warriors. You cannot coach. Look at your record before you joined. You were gifted a premiership in 2002, couldn't win in 2003-2004. You then !@#$ed up in 2005-2006. Same repeat with Cronulla. 2017-2018-2021 the same.

It's time to say thanks but please go. The players need a new and sharper voice.
Rads1984
Brett Mullins

Post by Rads1984 »

Looks like another 25 year rebuild.

Aero
Laurie Daley

Re: Stuart is not the right coach to take us forward

Post by Aero »

It's the same coach that got us to a GF and deep into the finals the past few years. The problem isn't the coach

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Really depressed. This hurt. Stuart needs to go
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Mr Squiggle wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:45 pm The bloke looks to have lost the dressing shed. He's dropped and rested players and no matter what he does he can't get 17 blokes to stick at it for 80 minutes.

Given how long he's been at it and how many times he has gone close and then fallen in a deep hole, you couldn't seriously believe giving Ricky Stuart another rebuild would turn out any different.
Something ain't right. That's for certain.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Time to roll the dice on Tapine's wife.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Maybe we give Mrs Tapine and Mrs Papalii a go at joint coaching? They know how to handle the bench rotation
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

What does Stuart have to do to get sacked? We were **** PREMIERSHIP HOPEFULES, TOP FOUR LOCKED IN, we can't beat a **** Knights side with no first grade halfs and an injured fullback with a 16 point **** head start!

Five losses in a row, first time since 2014 (also under Stuart)... We have no spark, the players are all **** off, the only thing Stuart ever really had going for him was recruitment and getting the players to put in, he doesn't have either of those now... He has had seven **** seasons to get this **** together, and we aren't even making the finals two years after making the grand final...

We carry no backs, two hookers for 90% of our games, yet rarely use the second hooker well, or sometimes even at all. He can't even pick our best forwards for a SINGLE GAME this season and uses the bench like he gets a cash bonus for lease interchanges in a season...

Raiders last eight second halves:

320 minutes, 28 points for, 129 points against... We have been outscored by 101 points in just the second halve in the last eight weeks...

PATHETIC!!!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Simon Woolford blew the horn today... hard to imagine finding a better candidate than him as we cast a wide net over the fine people in Wagga who have played for the Raiders
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Unsurprising thread from fickle fans and weak minds.
Have another beer and you'll forget the score.
Loser.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

T_R wrote:Time to roll the dice on Tapine's wife.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Yep, Tapine and Papa’s wives as co-coaches
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
SimplyThePest
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by SimplyThePest »

The team isn’t playing for him. They could be playing a lot better. He’s done a good job in his spell as coach but I now think we need someone new. Safer move than lose our good players because they can’t work with him anymore.