Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Canberra Milk »

I'll agree there... It's not just what we do but how we're doing it: poorly. Even if we just had forwards running in twos, would be an improvement. Although I maintain we look perfectly fine, dangerous even, when we loosen the shackles
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Forwards pushing up in numbers and looking for offloads.

Back to my original point, I don't think our outside backs are quick enough for us to go around teams rather than through them, so we might have to agree to disagree about that tactic.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

gangrenous wrote:Schtick solid - 2/17
Excuse me gangers. It was my pun and I like the way I presented it. Image
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Another odd thing Stuart insists on doing which seems to hurt us more than our opposition. Changes just before kick off, aka "The smoke screen". It has to annoy our players more than their game plan, especially when it's usually shifting around the starting props. Just a quick FYI:

Round 1 - Papalii (49m) and Lui (17m) named and started [Bench- Havili (23m), Sutton (38m), Soliola (30m), James (41m)] - Win.
Round 2 - Papalii (50m) and Lui (21m) named and started [Bench- Havili (19m), Sutton (39m), Soliola (30m), James (40m)] - Win.
Round 3* - Papalii (69m) named and started, Sutton (73m) swapped in late [Bench- Havili (67m), Soliola (52m), James (3m), Starling (33m) - Lose - Although the injuries messed this all up anyway.
Round 4 - Lui (17m) named and started, James (42m) swapped in late [Bench- Papalii (50m), Starling (5m), Havili (32m), Soliola 27m) - Win.
Round 5 - Papalii (55m) named and started, Soliola (37m) swapped in late [Bench- Sutton (47m), Tapine (41m), Starling (29m), Havili (57m) - Lose.
Round 6 - Papalii (56m) named and started, Sutton (74m) swapped in late [Bench- Soliola (24m), Starling (17m), Havili (30m), Guler (46m)] - Lose.
Round 7 - James (34m) and Guler (58m) named and started [Bench- Young (19m and was meant to start in the 2nd row swapped out for CHN who played the full 80m), Havili (8m), Horsburgh (31m), Papalii (41m)
Round 8* - James (23m) and Guler (54m) named and started [Bench- Havili (28m), Tapine (32m), Horsburgh (42m), Soliola (9m). Young was meant to be on the bench but in theory took a 2nd row spot for all 80m. - Lose

So breaking this down, if it all goes to "plan" Stuart seems to like to use one of the starting props once only, Lui (17m) in Round 1, Lui (21m) in Round 2, Lui (17m) in Round 4, James (23m) in Round 8. We can hence assume this was some super strategy of his but is a monumental waste of a forward... On the upside, we actually won 3 of 4 of those games. It also begs the question, why was Lui dropped given he had so little opportunity and seems to have actually be doing what the coach asked? I thought Lui had a stand out year last year and at least deserves a bench spot still. Wasn't Stuart having a sook a few years back about having no rep stars? Now he does and he is playing them in reserves...

Also it shows that we haven't once had what I would consider our best starting forwards combo on the field at the same time, which would be Sutton at lock, Papalii and James at prop. Couldn't we give traditional "start with your best players" a go just once? None of this "save one for later" crap Stuart insists on?
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Tbh I prefer having one good prop on as opposed to gassing someone to much are having them both on at the start.

Imo who you finish the game with is way more important then who starts.

Starting is just ego - finishing is when winning happens.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

gergreg wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Schtick solid - 2/17
Excuse me gangers. It was my pun and I like the way I presented it. Image
I’m up in your business driving efficiencies Image
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Sign Flanagan and move forward

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Quality trolling boney
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gangrenous wrote:Quality trolling boney Image
I'm partly serious, he's the only decent candidate

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LOL. We're not signing another coach. Ricky will be afforded another rebuild.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 617792542e

I mean she's not wrong..

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

She is not wrong, but I also think she should not be coming out like that against her husbands boss. I am sure he and her would have other avenues to deal with this for example taking the issue to the leadership group or the coaching group. This does piss me off a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

bonehead wrote:
gangrenous wrote:Quality trolling boney Image
I'm partly serious, he's the only decent candidate

He led a regime of cheating and blatantly defied his punishment. Clearly a jerk.

Not if he were the last coach on earth and we had the spoon with zero wins.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

It's not professional and reflects very badly on Joe
Curious to know what experience/qualifications she has to think she is better then Ricky

The club pays her husband nicely for her lifestyle and does a lot to help the families, talk about biting the hand that feeds you
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

bonehead wrote: May 1, 2021, 7:00 pm Sign Flanagan and move forward

Never, that guy is scum
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

cat wrote:It's not professional and reflects very badly on Joe
Curious to know what experience/qualifications she has to think she is better then Ricky

The club pays her husband nicely for her lifestyle and does a lot to help the families, talk about biting the hand that feeds you
It doesn’t take much in the way of qualifications say that the bench use is suboptimal.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

EDIT We would have been better off "sticking solid" with selections, all this merry-go-round of who is starting and who isn't, plus his insane use of the bench, is just pissing everyone off it seems (shocker). These players are all wanting to leave a legacy as well, they can't get into rep teams if the coach is never giving them a chance to show what they can do. It seems giving Stuart too much choice in the forward has been a recipe for disaster, which is nuts considering most coaches would kill for it. He needed to make a **** public stand on who were starters, who were bench, and just "stick solid" with it so they could play into form. Giving rep level players under twenty minutes a game to prove themselves is obviously pissing them off, as it well should.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

What is going on with Stickys use of the bench? I can't remember him ever being this bad? How the **** did James only get one stint when he was playing fantastic? Why isn't Taps getting 60 mins a game?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I think everyone just needs to settle down and stick solid.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:I think everyone just needs to settle down and stick solid.
I'm sure that The Clique find this hilarious but it's getting tired pretty quickly old friend.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Hello? Anyone seen botman? Perfect opportunity to copy and paste his, stats mean jack comment. I dare say our international forward was pulled off in the second half cause we were getting owned at that point. I agree looking at those numbers there would appear to be a better way to rotate our middles but looking at numbers alone tells only part of the story, isn't that right botty?

PJ would appreciate if the next time you have the tapines over for dinner if you could please educate Mrs tappas on how this all works. Who am I kidding, no doubt you've probably already got her on the phone right now.
Sleek the Elite
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jackie Boi

Post by Sleek the Elite »

EDIT
Last edited by Sleek the Elite on May 2, 2021, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forum members with gravitas: greeneyed, Seiffert82, dubby.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I hope every players partner does the same and there is 50 stories a week about it, because its absolutely spot on. Maybe then we can get some kind of movement going that will have Ricky consider changing the stock standard game plan.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
I'm sure that The Clique find this hilarious but it's getting tired pretty quickly old friend.
That just means you’re not sticking solid enough, chief.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

It just shows the state of the relationship between players and Stuart’s. It has to have deteriorated considerable

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gangrenous wrote: May 1, 2021, 9:19 pm

It doesn’t take much in the way of qualifications say that the bench use is suboptimal.
What qualifications is Rick missing that has gotten our bench rotations to this point.

Rick is a great great culture builder and list manager but his game day strategy has been lacking for sometime (which includes bench rotation).
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

With all the losses the Broncos, Bulldogs, Tigers, and Cowboys have had the last few years, I’ve not heard about any of the players wives blasting the coach on social media, even though I’m sure plenty of players were unhappy with aspects of the coaching. Unfortunately I suspect the only way to get some unity back in the team and get some defensive steel is to rebuild. Similar to when there was massive unrest, infighting, and terrible defense when we had Austin and BJ, both are no longer here. I suspect a huge cleanout is coming in the not too distant future. Time for some new blood, and younger faster legs.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Don't chief me pal
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dr Zaius wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
Don't chief me pal
I’m not your pal, big shooter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The main take away is that clearly the players are as confused about **** Ricky is doing with his bench as we are.

Whenever Ricky has tried in the past to be a mastermind thinking 5 months ahead and cutting trials or easing into pre-season it's gone pear shaped. I think Ricky had 3 months in the off season to build an elaborate plan of how he would unleash his killer middles with an artful mixture of workload management, staged rotations and rests and whatnot.

Aanndd... then it ran into reality- injuries, poor form, match circumstances and players feelings. He's usually pretty good a squad building and getting the guys together how did he lose sight of human nature? Hey Ricky, players like knowing where they stand. The top dogs like to have a bit of pride and ego that they are the best guys. The other guys like to know where they stand and who to strive for. At the moment, everyone is a but confused and I'm sure it looked great in a spreadsheet and the sport science guys backed it.

But gees you've overcomplicated it. Tell your best players who they are, pump their tires up and let them rip. Tell the next cabs off the rank to watch these guys, that's the level you need to exceed to push them out. Tell blokes roughly how long the plan is to play them, but if they look buggered you'll hook them earlier for the defences sake. Simplify it. Because at the moment no one seems quite sure where they fit. And in general, anxiety does not increase performance.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:The main take away is that clearly the players are as confused about **** Ricky is doing with his bench as we are.

Whenever Ricky has tried in the past to be a mastermind thinking 5 months ahead and cutting trials or easing into pre-season it's gone pear shaped. I think Ricky had 3 months in the off season to build an elaborate plan of how he would unleash his killer middles with an artful mixture of workload management, staged rotations and rests and whatnot.

Aanndd... then it ran into reality- injuries, poor form, match circumstances and players feelings. He's usually pretty good a squad building and getting the guys together how did he lose sight of human nature? Hey Ricky, players like knowing where they stand. The top dogs like to have a bit of pride and ego that they are the best guys. The other guys like to know where they stand and who to strive for. At the moment, everyone is a but confused and I'm sure it looked great in a spreadsheet and the sport science guys backed it.

But gees you've overcomplicated it. Tell your best players who they are, pump their tires up and let them rip. Tell the next cabs off the rank to watch these guys, that's the level you need to exceed to push them out. Tell blokes roughly how long the plan is to play them, but if they look buggered you'll hook them earlier for the defences sake. Simplify it. Because at the moment no one seems quite sure where they fit. And in general, anxiety does not increase performance.
Hmmm. All very good points. Is it possible the squad is a little further along than you have summarised? Are the younger guys at that point where they are ready to take over the big dog role and the veterans are revolting. Note: I don't mean revolting in the sense that all YOU other posters are revolting, moreso an 'uprising',?

The changing of the guard I'm talking about has started with Dunamis, then Sia etc.

We are talking about a supercoach here. Is this our whiteboard moment?
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

gergreg wrote: May 2, 2021, 10:32 am
BadnMean wrote:The main take away is that clearly the players are as confused about **** Ricky is doing with his bench as we are.

Hmmm. All very good points. Is it possible the squad is a little further along than you have summarised? Are the younger guys at that point where they are ready to take over the big dog role and the veterans are revolting. Note: I don't mean revolting in the sense that all YOU other posters are revolting, moreso an 'uprising',?

The changing of the guard I'm talking about has started with Dunamis, then Sia etc.

We won’t get a whiteboard moment because Rick is too close and matey with the players, and too close and matey with the top brass. He’s too comfortable, hence why we never see any innovation or risk taking from him
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Stick should name Tapine on the bench and keep him there for the full 80.

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Rick wrote: May 2, 2021, 11:36 am Stick should name Tapine on the bench and keep him there for the full 80.

I feel like "Rick" here has some good insights into what "Ricky" just might do :roflmao
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: May 2, 2021, 10:32 am Is it possible the squad is a little further along than you have summarised? Are the younger guys at that point where they are ready to take over the big dog role and the veterans are revolting. Note: I don't mean revolting in the sense that all YOU other posters are revolting, moreso an 'uprising',?

Could be.

Could be we have arrived at that moment but Ricky is struggling to recognise it? Either way if he's tried to sell it and someone doesn't want to buy in, the overheard projector moment has arrived. They can go free transfer mid season or toe the line. Otherwise this will fester even worse and get to the point that the coach isn't the one choosing who stays and who goes, players will get themselves out.