Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Stuart is not the right coach to take us forward

Post by Botman »

casta66 wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:59 pm Have another beer and you'll forget the score.
Loser.
That's a very direct message to Coach Stuart, but not one you could easily argue with
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Ricky cant coach but he can recruit. With such juxtaposing qualities
our form is going to fluctuate every few years. No matter what happens he keeps his job until at least the start of next year. There is also no one else with proven capability who can take his place. He is also contracted until 2023. We are sad and angry right now but sacking Ricky will make it worse.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Botman wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:58 pm Simon Woolford blew the horn today... hard to imagine finding a better candidate than him as we cast a wide net over the fine people in Wagga who have played for the Raiders
He bleeds green. Couldn't agree more.

Bring back Furner as his assistant too and maybe Troy Thompson as forwards coach.

They all bleeed greeeen.
Raider47
Jason Croker

Post by Raider47 »

I genuinely can't see though us becoming a powerhouse NRL club ala Roosters, Storm with him at the helm.

He gets too stuck in his ways and too stubborn and refuses to change. The best clubs adapt, he doesn't. The past 7 years are testament to that.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Aero wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:48 pm It's the same coach that got us to a GF and deep into the finals the past few years. The problem isn't the coach

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Different rules.
I don’t think sacking him is the answer.
He should be given next season with this whole year and offseason to make the necessary squad changes and improve our fitness for next year.
If we still find ourselves attempting to play mindless one out passing from the ruck, he should walk himself...
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Re: Sack Stuart, I'm over it.

Post by Ultima »

And just for the stats on our second halves from the last two months (yes Round one was better, woop-de-****-do for us):

Round 2 (Sharks) - 0 for, 10 against
Round 3 (Warriors) - 6 for, 28 against
Round 4 (Titans) - 12 for, 0 against
Round 5 (Panthers) - 4 for, 12 against
Round 6 (Eels) - 0 for, 23 against
Round 7 (Cowboys) - 0 for, 14 against
Round 8 (Rabbitohs) - 6 for, 18 against
Round 9 (Knights) - 0 for, 24 against

So that's four complete NOTHINGS, a grand total of FIVE tries, TWENTY ONE tries and ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY NINE against us....
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Ricky is not the problem.
Raider47
Jason Croker

Post by Raider47 »

nachopants wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:10 pm Ricky is not the problem.
Genuine question- what is the problem?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

SimplyThePest wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:01 pm The team isn’t playing for him. They could be playing a lot better. He’s done a good job in his spell as coach but I now think we need someone new. Safer move than lose our good players because they can’t work with him anymore.
What good players? Apart from Papalii and Wighton the rest are average
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

129 tries is a lot
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Re: Stuart is not the right coach to take us for9ward

Post by Raiders666 »

Raider47 wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:11 pm
I think it's the Canberra milk jersey to be honest...Bring back our Chinese overlords
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Raider47 wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:11 pm
I honestly think we are stale. Ricky did an amazing job of rebooting us once (Campo, Shillo, etc) and brought in a ton of poms and second rowers.

Unfortunately, we're heavy again, Gueler, Horse, Papa, James, they're just too big/heavy and slow for this ruleset in my opinion.

We need another reboot. Crokes, Hodgo, Havili, Scott, Raps can probably move on for 2020 (among others)

Ironically, our outside backs are far too small. Scott can't buckle the line, think about the $500k strike centres out there, Staggs, Crighton, Best, even BJ dare I say it. Same money, different impact. Today Curtis literally protected himself instead of diving on the ball against a winger with broken ribs.

In short, our strength and conditioning guys need a serious talking to.

We are fat, and lazy. Those who aren't are underweight, on instagram (watched Curtis the other night) playing the pokies on live streams pushing influencer brands.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Rapana is a big dumb dumb
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

All of that said, I'm sitting comfortably in the cliche.

Ricky can only do so much, to me it looks quite obvious that we have players on the field who have been playing for 20 years and have forgotten how to catch, pass, or tackle.

There's only so much. Ricky will spill and fill this year, I still believe.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

rayden83 wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:07 pm Ricky cant coach but he can recruit. With such juxtaposing qualities
our form is going to fluctuate every few years. No matter what happens he keeps his job until at least the start of next year. There is also no one else with proven capability who can take his place. He is also contracted until 2023. We are sad and angry right now but sacking Ricky will make it worse.
Or can Mulholland recruit and Ricky listens to him?
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

nachopants wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:13 pm 129 tries is a lot
Read it again, that's 21 tries and 129 points.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

As I've said afor a few weeks, Havilii offers stuff all as a middle beyond emergency use... why is he being picked when we have quality middles out every week?

Tapine is on the bench. Ricky plays Sutton past 20 mins, basically UNTIL he drops the ball, gets injured and the other team score. It could have been 27, it was 22 minutes this time. He would have done the same.

He waits UNTIL we get cooked and then he tries to recatch it.

Nothing pro-active about it. It's basically let them play until they start missing tackles and dropping the ball and then maybe think about doing something.

Let's face it- Don isn't dropping Ricky. We will see another rebuild first. And if it doesn't involve drawing a line through good old honest Jordy Raps who is now slower than a prop + Curtis out-competed every week Scott + Simo the very definition of plodderiest plodder then I just give up.

Bloody lol at the people arguing last week that Aekins is so good he needs to stay in the team. The very reggiest of reserve graders.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

BadnMean wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:32 pm
rayden83 wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:07 pm Ricky cant coach but he can recruit. With such juxtaposing qualities
Or can Mulholland recruit and Ricky listens to him?
I have no idea, but I would note that neither Hodgson, Sezer, Whitehead, Austin or Paulo were signed by Mulholland, all revolutionary (except Whitehead) signings at the time.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

The caliber of teams we’re losing against is just disgraceful.

Cowboys, Knights, Warriors.

**** atrocious.

We’re actually no longer even a middle of the road team, which is what you’d fairly expect with CNK and Hodgson missing.

It’s on Ricky IMO and if we can’t turn it around soonish, I’d rather see us try the majority of this squad with another coach. They’re a seriously talented bunch all very capable. Ricky is struggling big time.
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

Ultima wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:42 pm
nachopants wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:13 pm 129 tries is a lot
Read it again, that's 21 tries and 129 points.
No I know, I was joking <3
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Stuart in the press conference - "I'm concerned for the boys and that we handle it and stick together to get through this rough patch"

"I can't get fired up over a bunch of blokes who are doing everything they can"
^ So... This is just a "rough patch" and it's not the players fault then it has to be... **** YOURS AND THE SUPPORT STAFF.

He then when on to say it's just the "luck of the ball" and we have to "stick strong" and "get through it". Talk about a man **** devoid of ideas! I'm not expecting anything world changing in a press conference but I'm **** fuming and he is sitting there like we lost our first game of the season, not the **** SIXTH and our FIFTH IN A ROW!!!

I'm not seeing the **** passion, I'm not seeing the fight, and I'm certainly not seeing any bloody improvement...
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Ultima wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:58 pm Stuart in the press conference - "I'm concerned for the boys and that we handle it and stick together to get through this rough patch"

^ So... This is just a "rough patch" and it's not the players fault then it has to be... **** YOURS AND THE SUPPORT STAFF.

He then when on to say it's just the "luck of the ball" and we have to "stick strong" and "get through it". Talk about a man **** devoid of ideas! I'm not expecting anything world changing in a press conference but I'm **** fuming and he is sitting there like we lost our first game of the season, not the **** SIXTH and our FIFTH IN A ROW!!!

I'm not seeing the **** passion, I'm not seeing the fight, and I'm certainly not seeing any bloody improvement...
He doesn't know how to turn it around. You can tell by the way he looked and what he spoke. Blamed it on luck. We make the same mistakes game after game. It never changes. Even Ricky's biggest supporters can see this. Big contrast to Trent Robinson's interview last night.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Stick solid is so yesterday.

Now we need to stick together.

Stick.

Together.

Stick together.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

kicking for 2 twice early in the game against an out of sorts, low in confidence Knights team is dumb and shows our tactics are out dated. Thats on Rick.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Well going by the press conference if The coach doesn’t take any responsibility why should the players! Absolutely disgusting to blame it to bad luck. Honestly, the man needs to go!!!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 8, 2021, 6:02 pm
Ultima wrote: May 8, 2021, 5:58 pm Stuart in the press conference - "I'm concerned for the boys and that we handle it and stick together to get through this rough patch"

He doesn't know how to turn it around. You can tell by the way he looked and what he spoke. Blamed it on luck. We make the same mistakes game after game. It never changes. Even Ricky's biggest supporters can see this. Big contrast to Trent Robinson's interview last night.
Stick strong. Bleed green.

No real answers. No accountability. Like reading the posts the last 3 weeks of fans pointing out how they reckon we were in it vs the Pamfers until (they actually hit a gear)... or if it wasn't for the ref we were...
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

If you want to win, get Bellamy. Simple.

Sticky has done a remarkable job to get us to where we are. Bellamy will just get us that extra step we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

mongoose wrote: May 8, 2021, 6:18 pm kicking for 2 twice early in the game against an out of sorts, low in confidence Knights team is dumb and shows our tactics are out dated. Thats on Rick.
We’re playing with a seige mentality at the moment. Raiders of ‘19, ‘20 would kick on and thrash Knights by 30+. But we are trying to hang onto leads rather than put other teams to the sword. That kind of submissive mindset will always result in giving up significant leads.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

It was bad luck we didn’t do enough fitness work to cope with the 6 again rule...
Also bad luck we didn’t recruit enough smart, speedy, powerful backs to catch the ball on the full on kick returns and make important set starting metres so that our forwards aren’t gassed by the 50 minute...
Also bad luck how we can’t use the interchange correctly...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: May 8, 2021, 6:21 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 8, 2021, 6:02 pm

Stick strong. Bleed green.

No real answers. No accountability. Like reading the posts the last 3 weeks of fans pointing out how they reckon we were in it vs the Pamfers until (they actually hit a gear)... or if it wasn't for the ref we were...
I get a chuckle out of “fans” who think we “had the Pamfers” but for an injury to CNK...
Just shows how green eyed they are and unable to see how poor we are truly going...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

rayden83 wrote: May 8, 2021, 6:24 pm
mongoose wrote: May 8, 2021, 6:18 pm kicking for 2 twice early in the game against an out of sorts, low in confidence Knights team is dumb and shows our tactics are out dated. Thats on Rick.
We’re playing with a seige mentality at the moment. Raiders of ‘19, ‘20 would kick on and thrash Knights by 30+. But we are trying to hang onto leads rather than put other teams to the sword. That kind of submissive mindset will always result in giving up significant leads.
Raiders of '19/20 had BJ Leilia (top 3 in position at the time), Cotric (again, origin rep material) in the back 5 + Croker in near career best form.

Our back 5 at the moment is soooo awful. It is WORSE than spoon contenders. Man for man and as a whole. In a rules format where speed is king.

It's not "mindset" so much as an squad well past it's date. Witness Rapa - our best back! Love him! On a break running in quicksand ala Rod Wishart chased down by a prop.

Raiders of '19/'20 had some weapons. We deliberately divested our squad of weapons. Let BJ go (replaced with plodder), let Cotric go- replaced with plodder Simo or returning turtleman Rapana. Same result. We have no weapons. We have plodders. A putrid back 5 of ploddrs.

Keep Kris in the mix and fire the rest into the sun.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Brew wrote: May 8, 2021, 6:23 pm If you want to win, get Bellamy. Simple.

Sticky has done a remarkable job to get us to where we are. Bellamy will just get us that extra step we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We will never get the elite coaches like Bellamy. They will always stick to Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne, where they can recruit the players they want to build their squads rather than relying on imports, juniors or rejects from other clubs.

I wouldnt mind handing the reigns to someone like Cam Smith or Cronk. They are intelligent and destined for NRL coaching gigs.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Getting Cronk as coach would be friggin fantastic I reckon.
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Great players don't necessarily make great coaches. Great players often have instincts that can't be taught, and disconnects can arise between coaches that have those instincts and players who don't - case in point: Ricky and every half-back he's coached here.

Having said that, the seven year itch has become apparent, and we might need to move on from Stick, great man that his is IMHO. In fact it might be time to refresh almost the whole thing, from the board, CEO, Coach, Fitness Coach, etc, and bring in some genuine fresh blood and ideas outside of the Queanbeyan mafia.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If you think that applies here, then I don’t think you’ve ever listened to Cronk.

Also I’d argue that a huge part of Cronk’s great status stems from his intelligence. Unlike a lot of other greats.