Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Who do you think are the bad eggs though that Ricky needs to get rid of?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Coastalraider wrote:
cat wrote: May 30, 2021, 4:13 pm I disagree Bonehead

The players put in , and they were hurting after the game.

We all need some luck sometimes and we are getting none. All 50/50 calls are going the other way , injuries/suspension to key players, constant media background buzz all does have an impact.

I saw the players leaving after the game, they were hurting. They stopped and signed autographs, had photos etc but they were hurting

When a coach has lost the shed you see the players laughing, smiling enjoying themselves after the game

That is not happening at our club.

Are they trying too hard? Maybe
Looking for too many answers? Maybe

I have been at nearly all games this season and i am convinced the boys care and care for Ricky
In tough times, teammates look to leaders. If those leaders either aren’t performing, or aren’t getting results, you loose your confidence in the outcome. If those leaders playing styles directly contradict how the rest of the team is trying to play, you lose confidence in the outcome. If the standards in training those leaders are setting are low, you lose accountability across a complete playing group.

Cat has nailed this. The bad eggs will be gone. I hope the recruits can help with a culture shift.
from where I was sitting last night it just looked like players not willing to put their bodies on the line and that disgusting 1 dimensional left sweep play, if that's how it's coached then shoot me now.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: May 30, 2021, 5:00 pm
Coastalraider wrote:
cat wrote: May 30, 2021, 4:13 pm I disagree Bonehead

The players put in , and they were hurting after the game.

We all need some luck sometimes and we are getting none. All 50/50 calls are going the other way , injuries/suspension to key players, constant media background buzz all does have an impact.

I saw the players leaving after the game, they were hurting. They stopped and signed autographs, had photos etc but they were hurting

When a coach has lost the shed you see the players laughing, smiling enjoying themselves after the game

That is not happening at our club.

Are they trying too hard? Maybe
Looking for too many answers? Maybe

I have been at nearly all games this season and i am convinced the boys care and care for Ricky
In tough times, teammates look to leaders. If those leaders either aren’t performing, or aren’t getting results, you loose your confidence in the outcome. If those leaders playing styles directly contradict how the rest of the team is trying to play, you lose confidence in the outcome. If the standards in training those leaders are setting are low, you lose accountability across a complete playing group.

Cat has nailed this. The bad eggs will be gone. I hope the recruits can help with a culture shift.
from where I was sitting last night it just looked like players not willing to put their bodies on the line and that disgusting 1 dimensional left sweep play, if that's how it's coached then shoot me now.

It was the next level effort that was lacking. Work off the ball, chasing kicks, diving on loose balls, covering support players. That's the things that make the difference between running around the field and putting it all out there (dare I say empty the tank). Right now everybody looks like they are going through the motions. Not doing what it takes to compete when it counts.

We've seen it when this same group is fully committed i.e. 2019 and 2020 seasons. This looks nothing like it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah. Remember the 2 epic comebacks v Melb in 2019? We are nowhere near that now.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

bang on NR, Azza - players can appear shattered or whatever but they just look like they're going through the motions.
Last night we conceded 40+ against a spine containing Keighran, Manu and Lam. Not just a tight loss, pumped.
That Morris try did me, "right in front of me"

Edrick The Entertainer
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

14th baby!!! 😎😎😎

How the mighty have fallen
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:Who do you think are the bad eggs though that Ricky needs to get rid of?
If you want the full list it comes out on Tuesdays.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

So what coaches are out there? who could we lure to join the current group?
Adrian Lam currently at wigan
Shane Flanagan unemployed
Mick Crawley currently at Mackay Cutters
Shaun Wane current England coach
John Cartwright assistant at broncos
Laurie Daley

Thoughts?

Edrick The Entertainer
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

bonehead wrote: May 30, 2021, 7:41 pm So what coaches are out there? who could we lure to join the current group?
Laurie Daley

Thoughts?

If Flanagan comes anywhere near the raiders I will walk away

I think you will see Sticky shake up his coaching team next season, Cappy gone and Ash Barnes or one of the other junior coaches.
Maybe a new coach too, someone like Dymock or Grimaldi. He has a relationship with both of those guys. Maybe Germ?

Whitey will still where the blue shirt but coaching more with the juniors. Can see Sia working with the young ones too
Vaccinated
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

cat wrote:
bonehead wrote: May 30, 2021, 7:41 pm So what coaches are out there? who could we lure to join the current group?
Laurie Daley

Thoughts?

I think you will see Sticky shake up his coaching team next season, Cappy gone and Ash Barnes or one of the other junior coaches.
Maybe a new coach too, someone like Dymock or Grimaldi. He has a relationship with both of those guys. Maybe Germ?

Whitey will still where the blue shirt but coaching more with the juniors. Can see Sia working with the young ones too
germ is coaching Wagga, not sure career trajectory is what he's happy with.

Something has to change

Edrick The Entertainer
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Thats why i thought germ might be an option

Really its just my gut feeling based on what stick has done in the past

All good coaches shake up their assistants every few years to bring in fresh ideas

With the way the rules are moving White might be out of a gig in terms of defence, no point having a wrestle guy when the "wrestle " is less wrestle and more tips
Vaccinated
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

Raider47 wrote: May 30, 2021, 6:02 pm 14th baby!!! 😎😎😎

How the mighty have fallen
I found myself thinking there's only the 2 basket case teams below us. But then I figured we're actually a basket case too.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

cat wrote: May 30, 2021, 7:55 pm
Laurie Daley

Thoughts?

Flanagan could inject cyanide into puppies I would still take him over some of those other options. Daley? oh the LOLs
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

gangrenous wrote: May 30, 2021, 1:52 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote:
gangrenous wrote: May 30, 2021, 12:25 pm You sound like an American who voted for Trump because they needed a change.

You’ve got to have a superior option on the table. There is also a LOT of downplaying the success of 2019 on the basis of not getting one pass/decent refereeing.

Ricky has had reasonable success where others have failed. Don’t rush back to complete failure in search of perfection without an alternative that is plausibly worth the risk.
Strange analogy.

If you want to convince yourself that it is inherently unreasonable to believe that a coach shortly to be in his 9th season with a club shouldn't afforded unlimited rebuilds (*insert Emperor Palpatine meme*)....well, fill your boots son.

If the other clubs in the league retained coaches on the basis of modest or short lived successes then Green would still be coaching at the Cowboys.

Anyway as I stated already, Ricky can and will have a chance to fix this mess. He needs to make some serious adjustments.
You’re not addressing my point at all. Which is that switching for the sake of it without a considered risk alternative is dumb - hence the Trump analogy.

That has nothing to do with how long Ricky has been here, or what other clubs may or may not do (P.S. you may want to highlight which club has jumped to sustained success chopping and changing coaches?).
Without knowing for sure if Ricky has lost none/part of/all of the dressing rooms, I don't think replacing a coach if either of the latter two occur is "switching for the sake of it". In fact, I can't think of a more compelling reason to replace a coach than losing the sheds. You can't keep a coach there if the players aren't playing for him. It is toxic and unsustainable.

What do you think happened in 2013? Furner was given the tap on the shoulder because he had completely lost control. He wasn't tapped because we had lined up and secured a host of alternatives, but because it was obvious that the status quo couldn't remain.

As for your second point, I don't think replacing Stuart after a decade in the saddle fits the profile of "chopping and changing". There is a middle ground between sacking the coach as soon as the team is struggling and the "family farm" rule. The Raiders are clearly closer to the family farm run than the former.

But for the sake of your exercise, Souths have gone through Maguire, Seibold and Bennett in the time Ricky has been at the club. And they have for the most part been a top 4 club and secured a premiership.

In the same period Manly have gone through Hasler, Toovey, Barrett, Hasler over the last decade and have won a comp, been to a grand final and made multiple finals runs and will be competing finals again this year.

And over the last decade Cowboys have gone through Henry, Green and now Payten. They replaced Henry despite making the finals 3 years in a row and were rewarded with a premiership and grand final appearance and two further finals appearances under Green. After 2 underperforming years they replaced Green, and look very improved this year and I reckon they will return to the finals.
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Such a good post by Mickey, how on earth can dropping Stuart for this current mess be considered either "switching for the sake of it" or "chopping and changing"?? Truly mind boggling stuff.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

I am confused about this bad eggs talk because I presume Hodgson is one of those bad eggs and he is getting points in the player of the year poll. I gave him a point myself and thought he put in but made a few dumb errors but he has always had dumb errors in his game.

This is not the case of Milford for the Bronx on the Thursday where he could barely pass legally. I thought the side looked ok they just hit the 20 minute wall and got gassed again.

Now, i may not be a big city coach but it strikes me as an abysmal reading of the rules and current interpretation that we could come into 2021 so unfit. Every other coach saw the writing on the wall and understood the first step to matching it with Melbourne and Penrith was getting the squads fit as hell. Melbourne and Penrith benefited from the rule change in 2020 to an absurd degree. We have somehow gone backwards knowing that the rules would even more favour fitness with the addition of offside to the 6 again rule. Maybe it was a few bad eggs at training eh
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Pete Cash wrote: May 31, 2021, 1:54 pm I am confused about this bad eggs talk because I presume Hodgson is one of those bad eggs and he is getting points in the player of the year poll. I gave him a point myself and thought he put in but made a few dumb errors but he has always had dumb errors in his game.

This is not the case of Milford for the Bronx on the Thursday where he could barely pass legally. I thought the side looked ok they just hit the 20 minute wall and got gassed again.
This is what I'm confused about as well and pointed it out in a post yesterday. Would Ricky have him in the coaches' box in some of those games and also promote him to starting if there was something between them? Hodgson was the best player v Canterbury and one of our best v Roosters. But he may be playing for another contract and to impress potential suitors. I for one would not like to lose him next year for the sole reason that he makes our team better and increases the likelihood of us winning end of season games.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 31, 2021, 2:07 pm
Pete Cash wrote: May 31, 2021, 1:54 pm I am confused about this bad eggs talk because I presume Hodgson is one of those bad eggs and he is getting points in the player of the year poll. I gave him a point myself and thought he put in but made a few dumb errors but he has always had dumb errors in his game.

This is what I'm confused about as well and pointed it out in a post yesterday. Would Ricky have him in the coaches' box in some of those games and also promote him to starting if there was something between them? Hodgson was the best player v Canterbury and one of our best v Roosters. But he may be playing for another contract and to impress potential suitors. I for one would not like to lose him next year for the sole reason that he makes our team better and increases the likelihood of us winning end of season games.
Don't think that will be an issue mate.
Up The Milk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 31, 2021, 2:11 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 31, 2021, 2:07 pm

Don't think that will be an issue mate.
Yeah I know. Just hoping. I don't like this one year in the finals, two years below 10th place rotation. Ricky was asked this at the presser. Look at Storm - in the finals every year except the year they were playing for no points. No rebuilding even after losing Inglis, Hoffmann, Cronk, Slater, Cameron Smith, Suli V, Tino. It's a tough time being a Raiders supporter. The last two weeks have been even lower than in 2017-18. At least we had people coming up through the ranks like Cotric then. We cannot even beat teams now with more than 5-7 of their stars out.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

There is a pattern with Stuart coached sides...

Roosters made 3 GF's in a row, 9th in 2005, 15th in 2006....
Sharks make prelim final in 2008, 15th in 2009
Raiders make prelim final in 2016, miss the finals next two seasons
Raiders make GF and Prelim 2019/20.... we could very likely come 15th this season. Thankfully the Dogs will be lucky to win 2 games.

You could argue he has done well to get 3 sides to Prelim final or better but the team eventually falls hard after a short spike.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

You reckon there’s any danger someone in the weak media contingent might ask Rick something that isn’t a complete softball question at some point?

How he’s allowed to go full Dennis Denuto each week blaming the bounce of the ball or the referees or something just as vague/far fetched, while we have all just watched an effort that looks like a bunch of 17 strangers playing for a pub team... is completely beyond me.

His petulant 110-second effort a few weeks ago should have been fined too. You’re on huge money Rick and your output is negligible - you should face the music like an adult, not sulk like a 4-year old who’s just been told he’s not having ice cream for his dessert tonight
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Were obviously having an atrocious year by the standards we all expected...

The good news is it will be very easy to determine if we have resolved the issues that have plagued us this season, over the course of 12 months and that is exactly how long I think we should give Ricky to fix it.

There are no compelling options in the coaching market that would necessitate blowing everything up right now....

Lets see what Ricky implements in terms of coaching (assistant / consultants ) and recruitment and retention....

I'm quite happy for the Club to take the line that if players are unhappy here, then talk to your agent and arrange to leave without impacting our future cap.

In 12 months if were still in this hole then there is no option but for Ricky to be sacked if he doesn't leave on his own accord...
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Release anyone who wants to go and promote the best options from reserve grade and fill the roster with some bargains or diamonds in the rough.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

mongoose wrote: May 31, 2021, 3:01 pm There is a pattern with Stuart coached sides...

Roosters made 3 GF's in a row, 9th in 2005, 15th in 2006....
Sharks make prelim final in 2008, 15th in 2009
Raiders make prelim final in 2016, miss the finals next two seasons
Raiders make GF and Prelim 2019/20.... we could very likely come 15th this season. Thankfully the Dogs will be lucky to win 2 games.

You could argue he has done well to get 3 sides to Prelim final or better but the team eventually falls hard after a short spike.
Maybe It comes down to the team having that premiership window, before some of that same squad becomes too old and along with injuries/players leaving and being replaced by plodders takes you from the pinnacle to garbage in the space of 12 months.
For us that window only lasted two seasons.

The only other teams that are consistently good for many years are the storm and roosters. They both have gun coaches, more so Bellamy that makes plodders play well and the roosters just always replaces good players with more good players.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Mr Squiggle wrote: May 31, 2021, 7:25 pm Release anyone who wants to go and promote the best options from reserve grade and fill the roster with some bargains or diamonds in the rough.
Have you been watching reserve grade? They're terrible.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

T_R wrote: May 31, 2021, 7:27 pm
Mr Squiggle wrote: May 31, 2021, 7:25 pm Release anyone who wants to go and promote the best options from reserve grade and fill the roster with some bargains or diamonds in the rough.
Schneider, Havili, Rushton, Timoko wouldn't be much worse than what he'll name on Tuesday. They might at least make an effort for 80.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That doesn't negate the original point though. If there are players who don't want to be at the club, that's where the shambles starts. First and foremost, we want players who want to be at the club and are prepared to commit 150 per cent to the club.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote: May 31, 2021, 7:31 pm
That doesn't negate the original point though. If there are players who don't want to be at the club, that's where the shambles starts. First and foremost, we want players who want to be at the club and are prepared to commit 150 per cent to the club.
I completely concur, but unfortunately I don't believe there's much of an answer in our reserve grade team. You watch the games GE - can you honestly say there's anyone in that side presenting a case for first grade selection?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

T_R wrote: May 31, 2021, 7:52 pm
I completely concur, but unfortunately I don't believe there's much of an answer in our reserve grade team. You watch the games GE - can you honestly say there's anyone in that side presenting a case for first grade selection?
Our reserve grade just got toweled up by Roosters 3rd stringers. Now we're expecting them our 1st grade team more competitive.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The club is better off with that short term pain, if that’s what it takes to get a united, committed team.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 31, 2021, 8:50 pm
The club is better off with that short term pain, if that’s what it takes to get a united, committed team.
Agree with GE.
You take whatever pain is coming, but you must move forward with only players that want to be here...
That has to be our starting point.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Short term pain we are looking at years of this. Effort from weaker sides means diddly right now. I'm sure a coach will crack the meta eventually and work out a way of gaming the system but right now weak teams can put in as much effort as they like and they will get pinned in their own half and get crushed by momentum

This is the worst era to be bad since the NRL did the merges.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
But for the sake of your exercise, Souths have gone through Maguire, Seibold and Bennett in the time Ricky has been at the club. And they have for the most part been a top 4 club and secured a premiership.

In the same period Manly have gone through Hasler, Toovey, Barrett, Hasler over the last decade and have won a comp, been to a grand final and made multiple finals runs and will be competing finals again this year.

And over the last decade Cowboys have gone through Henry, Green and now Payten. They replaced Henry despite making the finals 3 years in a row and were rewarded with a premiership and grand final appearance and two further finals appearances under Green. After 2 underperforming years they replaced Green, and look very improved this year and I reckon they will return to the finals.
Your first two examples are replacing a premiership winning coach to ummm... not win any more premierships. You really got me.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I have this strange feeling that Clinton Schifcofske will be signed as our head coach and then just prior to the start of the season leave and coach the Brumbies.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I haven;t been to any games yet but my mate has watched a lot of reggies and reckons they are woeful. Valemei far and away their best. Worried about what that means abou HSS and Timoko?