Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Re: Coaching issues

Post by RedRaider »

LastRaider wrote: July 4, 2021, 11:41 am
Green Blogger wrote:Wayne Bennett - a former Raiders Coach who has previously indicated an interest in coming back to Canberra - also remains available for next season.
Yep I’m keen for Wayne!
I know contracts don't mean much anymore but Sticky is under contract with the Raiders beyond this season.
Should he decide to leave the role there are two coaches who will be without clubs next year who we need to be in deep discussion with.
Bellamy as first choice and Bennett as second. Both have adapted to the new rules and have their sides heading for the finals.
It only needs DFJ to talk with Sticky to get the ball rolling. Sticky has admitted he doesn't have the answers to the Raiders decline. Given that, it's time for change.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

RedRaider wrote: July 4, 2021, 8:01 pm
LastRaider wrote: July 4, 2021, 11:41 am
Green Blogger wrote:Wayne Bennett - a former Raiders Coach who has previously indicated an interest in coming back to Canberra - also remains available for next season.
Yep I’m keen for Wayne!
I know contracts don't mean much anymore but Sticky is under contract with the Raiders beyond this season.
Should he decide to leave the role there are two coaches who will be without clubs next year who we need to be in deep discussion with.
Bellamy as first choice and Bennett as second. Both have adapted to the new rules and have their sides heading for the finals.
It only needs DFJ to talk with Sticky to get the ball rolling. Sticky has admitted he doesn't have the answers to the Raiders decline. Given that, it's time for change.
Think this sums it up - Ricky doesn't have answers, it's happening week after week, he's had 8 years, no one is entitled to 3 rebuilds, the players are not responding. It's time to change direction. I don't think we will get Bellamy and although I dislike Wayne, I think he's a better option than Ricky at this stage.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Both are objectively better coaches than RIcky. As you said, more than flash in the pan successes, both have produced good teams across multiple eras now.

I thought Wayne was washed up but he's handled Latrell (and all the hoo ha from media that comes with it for the rest of the squad) well. And he's got Souths doing well with a squad on paper no better than hours, he just understands where to have your plodders and what is needed from them.

I'd take either. Ricky's big selling point has been his ability to recruit effectively - something Furner and Elliot could not do. Bellamy and Bennet are both coaches parenst and managers would advise their players toward and have sway in pulling players.

Tactically they are a league above. Man management- it's never easy but at this stage, it just needs to be a different voice. Good chance there'd be a rebound in attitude and form from guys who still have more to give (Tapine, Whitehead, maybe Hodgo) and find a "best of" level from our plodders.

It's a dream though. The Raiders board and Don has evolved a smidgeon over the last decade but I still don't get the sense there's anyone there prepared to sit Ricky down and grill him for answers and recommend a hard call if they don't like what they hear.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 4, 2021, 9:24 pm he's had 8 years, no one is entitled to 3 rebuilds, the players are not responding.
I think you'll find that at the Raiders coaches will gladly be given 3 rebuilds. And don't even rule out a 4th. The club will wait for an inevitable uptick in the club's fortunes and quietly extend Ricky in the dead of the night as they have done in the past.

This is a club that wears its refusal to sack coaches as a badge of honour.
Up The Milk
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Who thinks Bennett is talking about us
Wayne Bennett wrote:Management of clubs has a huge result on performances at the moment. Clubs have got to take a hell of a lot more responsibility than they are taking for the way the game is being played. It’s as simple as that.

I’m not going to name names and not going to name clubs but if you look at some of the decisions they’ve made, some of the things that have happened to players. I wouldn’t want to be at that club and I know if I was in that club I wouldn’t be playing very well.

Clubs and their management and things that are happening at clubs are absolutely adding to the scoreboards.
Wayne Bennett blames ‘toxic’ clubs for scary NRL trend: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne ... 2f4b362793
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

broncos

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 5, 2021, 8:23 am Who thinks Bennett is talking about us
Wayne Bennett wrote:Management of clubs has a huge result on performances at the moment. Clubs have got to take a hell of a lot more responsibility than they are taking for the way the game is being played. It’s as simple as that.

I’m not going to name names and not going to name clubs but if you look at some of the decisions they’ve made, some of the things that have happened to players. I wouldn’t want to be at that club and I know if I was in that club I wouldn’t be playing very well.

Clubs and their management and things that are happening at clubs are absolutely adding to the scoreboards.
Wayne Bennett blames ‘toxic’ clubs for scary NRL trend: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/wayne ... 2f4b362793
V’landys protection racket.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Bennett spoke about looking at how clubs have managed players in recent weeks. He is therefore talking about Broncos (Lodge), Tigers (Pangai Jr) or Raiders (Williams). Based on his long demonstrated personal bias to speak out against clubs that have screwed him over, my money is on Broncos.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

“Management of clubs has a huge result on performances at the moment. Clubs have got to take a hell of a lot more responsibility than they are taking for the way the game is being played. It’s as simple as that,” Bennett said.

“I’m not going to name names and not going to name clubs but if you look at some of the decisions they’ve made, some of the things that have happened to players ... I wouldn’t want to be at that club and I know if I was in that club I wouldn’t be playing very well.

“Clubs and their management and things that are happening at clubs are absolutely adding to the scoreboards.”

How come everyone else can see it but Raiders management!!!!!
Perth Based Raiders Fan
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

As for coaches who could replace Ricky:

John Morris, turned a below average roster into a finals contender;
Cameron Ciraldo, highly rated and is part of a winning culture at Penrith. Last time we went looking in that direction, we got Tim Sheens; and
Wayne Bennett, good option, but he might be sick of coaching by the time we get him.

Looking at Aussie coaches abroad there's:
Steve Price (Warrington) who is doing a reasonable job, but seems to be the perennial bride's maid;
Adrian Lam (Wigan), who is more likely to want to go to the Roosters and Wigan are a bit on the nose around here these days; and
Kristian Woolf (St Helens).
Lam and Woolf are working with quality rosters and winning cultures. Unknown whether they could replicate their results here.

Now, I hate to add this, but considering the board's willingness to stick to the farm, there's Simon Woolford. He coached Huddersfield, but he resigned last year after a poor season.

That same reason could be why McFadden gets the nod. He was head coach at the Warriors, but never managed to come to grips with their unique culture, although he wasn't the first. The players like him, though, and he could be a welcome release of the Stuart-style pressure valve for them.

My out of left-field option, Ricky sacks defensive coach White prior to the start of the 2022 season to make way for his mate, Dean Pay. Ricky survives to coach out the 2022 season, but results will determine whether Don Jnr makes him an offer he can't refuse or sends him to sleep with the fishes (or at least finds a community services-related job in-house for him).
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yurithe1 wrote:As for coaches who could replace Ricky:

John Morris, turned a below average roster into a finals contender;
Cameron Ciraldo, highly rated and is part of a winning culture at Penrith. Last time we went looking in that direction, we got Tim Sheens; and
Wayne Bennett, good option, but he might be sick of coaching by the time we get him.

Looking at Aussie coaches abroad there's:
Steve Price (Warrington) who is doing a reasonable job, but seems to be the perennial bride's maid;
Adrian Lam (Wigan), who is more likely to want to go to the Roosters and Wigan are a bit on the nose around here these days; and
Kristian Woolf (St Helens).
Lam and Woolf are working with quality rosters and winning cultures. Unknown whether they could replicate their results here.

Now, I hate to add this, but considering the board's willingness to stick to the farm, there's Simon Woolford. He coached Huddersfield, but he resigned last year after a poor season.

That same reason could be why McFadden gets the nod. He was head coach at the Warriors, but never managed to come to grips with their unique culture, although he wasn't the first. The players like him, though, and he could be a welcome release of the Stuart-style pressure valve for them.

My out of left-field option, Ricky sacks defensive coach White prior to the start of the 2022 season to make way for his mate, Dean Pay. Ricky survives to coach out the 2022 season, but results will determine whether Don Jnr makes him an offer he can't refuse or sends him to sleep with the fishes (or at least finds a community services-related job in-house for him).
McFads is the defence coach, White is forwards coach

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

When you hear the saying that someone is loyal to a fault it’s easy to assume that is a good thing. Loyalty is a desirable quality but it does become a fault when it gets in the way of objectivity.

The roosters moved on Pearce at a time many may have argued he still had much to offer but they haven’t looked back even post Cronk. The Panthers shipping James Tamou was another big call I’m sure they aren’t regretting.

Ricky’s loyalty is a strength but he needs strong voices around him to ensure we are getting the level of roster refresh that we need. Tapping blokes on the shoulder who have delivered for years and still feel they have a year or two in them is a brutal thing to have to do but it’s the job.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: July 5, 2021, 12:54 pm When you hear the saying that someone is loyal to a fault it’s easy to assume that is a good thing. Loyalty is a desirable quality but it does become a fault when it gets in the way of objectivity.

The roosters moved on Pearce at a time many may have argued he still had much to offer but they haven’t looked back even post Cronk. The Panthers shipping James Tamou was another big call I’m sure they aren’t regretting.

Ricky’s loyalty is a strength but he needs strong voices around him to ensure we are getting the level of roster refresh that we need. Tapping blokes on the shoulder who have delivered for years and still feel they have a year or two in them is a brutal thing to have to do but it’s the job.
Roosters don't need any loyalty. All they need is golf days with Uncle Nick. :)

Tamou is a poor example. Came through the NQ system and had 7 seasons there so not exactly a club stalwart at Penrith. Loyalty not a factor.

Not so sure Sticky is excessively loyal. More like he gets too set on a particular path. Outcome is similar though.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: July 5, 2021, 2:33 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 5, 2021, 12:54 pm When you hear the saying that someone is loyal to a fault it’s easy to assume that is a good thing. Loyalty is a desirable quality but it does become a fault when it gets in the way of objectivity.

Roosters don't need any loyalty. All they need is golf days with Uncle Nick. :)

Tamou is a poor example. Came through the NQ system and had 7 seasons there so not exactly a club stalwart at Penrith. Loyalty not a factor.

Not so sure Sticky is excessively loyal. More like he gets too set on a particular path. Outcome is similar though.
I feel like if he trained Winx, that horse would still be running and no doubt going ok, and he’d persist even after the odd loss crept in. And even after it hadn’t won a race for a long time he’d still give it an opportunity to regain form. Only when it was a broken wreck foaming from the mouth might he accept that perhaps time was up.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

I actually liked his press conference it was honest.

players have to play well and coaches have to coach well.

He can see we dont look well coached. He isnt going to sack himself - thus we might see some necessary changes in the coaches box over the off season. It might be the end of betty white and mcfadden and that can only be good to give us a fresh approach.

He also can see that the players look average out there and will be starting on a necessary rebuild.

Honestly - a better head coach would make it easier to overhaul our systems but ricky has shown he can have successful systems in place. Thus if he overhauls them then I have more confidence in him then some random scrub the club picks up from the furner family to coach us.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hear hear papa
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Gould saying on 100% Footy that the Raiders have not been honest with each other internally about the internal issues in the club… and until they are…

That follows Gould talking to Ricky Stuart two or three weeks ago. Looks like some players not on board, and frankly, that’s how it looks on field. Has to be fixed one way or other.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Don't buy any of that whatsoever. It's Bull cover up excuses for what has been a bunch of massive miscalculations and subsequently huge failures.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Gould is 100% correct. He is frankly repeating what I said on Sunday morning in the dufty thread which is until Ricky faces into the fact we have a problem in the dressing room and deals with it then we are screwed. I am convinced that with a good old fashioned camp Furner we could get our season back on track just as we did in 08 and 10. But for whatever reason Ricky seems incapable of making such an admission. Changing the players won't fix a thing until the elephant in the room has been addressed. My best guess is we will struggle to win another game this year and there will be an offseason review. If Stuart admits he got it wrong and their is talk of some reconciliation then I reckon we will be back on track. But if neither of these things happen and we simply replace a couple of our players then you can kiss 22 goodbye.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

What you're missing about a Ricky Stuart side is that by and large they play consistently throughout a year - whether they're good, or whether they're ****.

Ricky Stuart sides don't tend do what a Furner side would do and turn things around drastically during the season to limp into the 8. He is a massive hit and miss coach. Every time a club of his has reached the 8, they've finished no lower than fifth. He has never been beaten in week one or week two of the finals - he's made a prelim final minimum each time. Yet despite all that, he's only made seven finals series and won the one GF in 18 seasons of coaching.

Sending them on a camp, send them to the Greek Islands to laze about in the sun, send them to outer space.... none of it will do jack **** at this point. We've sucked because he's made us suck. We are smack bang in the middle of a Ricky Stuart suck year.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Mate we should've been 4 from 4. We were the same gritty side that has challenged for a premiership the past couple of years. We have not been the same side since. I attribute that to CNK going down and the players and coaches falling out when we subsequently started to lose but who really knows. One thing I do know is that for 5 years straight, even during 17 and 18 Ricky was a proud coach and the team were always in the contest. This same group of men are now unrecognisable. It has to be mental. There can be no other explanation.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Rick is a bludger of a rugby league coach - his cult of personality/standing in the game has got him a long way, but I’m sure he knows his world is shrinking with time and the family farm is the only place he can keep up the charade.

That aside - can you think of any workplace where the same boss stays in the role for 7+ years? I don’t think it’s healthy, you certainly are eschewing a culture of continuous growth and improvement via change and challenge from outside hires…. In favour of the predictable, controllable “do as we’ve always done”. 2 problems with this- a) what we’ve always done has delivered precisely zero premierships since 1994, and b) eventually the inmates get restless when they see through the routine.

Regardless of what you think of Rick’s coaching acumen, it would seem it’s time for a change in message and the bloke delivering it. There is no magical turnaround from here without a tough call on Queanbeyan’s favourite son.

Btw this is where we also marvel at Bellamy and Bennett (Broncos tenure) being extreme unicorns in the cutthroat business of NRL coaching - incredible
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

papabear wrote: July 5, 2021, 4:04 pm I actually liked his press conference it was honest.

He can see we dont look well coached. He isnt going to sack himself - thus we might see some necessary changes in the coaches box over the off season. It might be the end of betty white and mcfadden and that can only be good to give us a fresh approach.

He also can see that the players look average out there and will be starting on a necessary rebuild.

Honestly - a better head coach would make it easier to overhaul our systems but ricky has shown he can have successful systems in place. Thus if he overhauls them then I have more confidence in him then some random scrub the club picks up from the furner family to coach us.
2 new assistants would be a good start. As well as a player cleanout they need a couple of fresh voices and someone right in tune with modern footy and preferably no Raiders old boy status- actual genuine fresh ideas. I really doubt Ricky will get two new in though, maybe one and it'll be an old boy. Someone matey who he can fob off easily.

Because whoever the hell has been in charge our attack since 2017... it's been awful. Even the years we could play well on the back of defence we only had 2 scoring plays- Jack running it past 3 blokes and the left side sweep. I believe that's Ricky's department.

If you watch how we line up in attack vs most teams... these days most teams have gone back to using depth, so players have time to run onto the ball at speed, set up bodies in motion and create those hard decisions. There's a bit more room to adjust your runs and timing too with the depth.

We line up completely flat, on the right especially. It's like the old flat attack from the Kimmorley days (was that Ricky's coaching heyday)- which was needed because defences were so smothering teams just tried to get over the advantage line and barge up the field. It doesn't make much sense now.

And if that leaves Cappy and Betty in charge of the defence and forward development... well the defence speaks for itself and two of our best young forwards have gone backwards at a rate of knots (Hors and Young) and Guler is not come on either this year.

Even IF Ricky recognises he needs genuine guidance, he'd still have to listen to it and it would have to come from someone who would actually challenge his thinking. Reckon that's what we'll get?
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

BadnMean wrote: July 6, 2021, 8:16 am
papabear wrote: July 5, 2021, 4:04 pm I actually liked his press conference it was honest.

2 new assistants would be a good start. As well as a player cleanout they need a couple of fresh voices and someone right in tune with modern footy and preferably no Raiders old boy status- actual genuine fresh ideas. I really doubt Ricky will get two new in though, maybe one and it'll be an old boy. Someone matey who he can fob off easily.

Because whoever the hell has been in charge our attack since 2017... it's been awful. Even the years we could play well on the back of defence we only had 2 scoring plays- Jack running it past 3 blokes and the left side sweep. I believe that's Ricky's department.

If you watch how we line up in attack vs most teams... these days most teams have gone back to using depth, so players have time to run onto the ball at speed, set up bodies in motion and create those hard decisions. There's a bit more room to adjust your runs and timing too with the depth.

We line up completely flat, on the right especially. It's like the old flat attack from the Kimmorley days (was that Ricky's coaching heyday)- which was needed because defences were so smothering teams just tried to get over the advantage line and barge up the field. It doesn't make much sense now.

And if that leaves Cappy and Betty in charge of the defence and forward development... well the defence speaks for itself and two of our best young forwards have gone backwards at a rate of knots (Hors and Young) and Guler is not come on either this year.

Even IF Ricky recognises he needs genuine guidance, he'd still have to listen to it and it would have to come from someone who would actually challenge his thinking. Reckon that's what we'll get?
I do holds some hope - its a slim hop,but hope none the less.

Leading into 2019 we were in a similar position - we had fallen off our 2017 high, our style of play was tired and not winning us enough games. Ricky was exceptionally slow to adjust, as we have seen over his entire career, but he did change. We had a roster refresh with Bateman and CNK, and young players coming through putting pressure like Ere and Horse. We bought in cappy to look after defence, and Ennis to work as an advisor. We changed our style of play completely to a defensive minded approach, and had 2 great years on the back of it.

Now we need the same - he has shown he is willing in the past, now he needs to do it again.

One thing is for sure - once he starts a year with a plan, he doesnt deviate. So I hope we have a restructure this offseason.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

FROG wrote: July 6, 2021, 6:26 am Mate we should've been 4 from 4. We were the same gritty side that has challenged for a premiership the past couple of years. We have not been the same side since. I attribute that to CNK going down and the players and coaches falling out when we subsequently started to lose but who really knows. One thing I do know is that for 5 years straight, even during 17 and 18 Ricky was a proud coach and the team were always in the contest. This same group of men are now unrecognisable. It has to be mental. There can be no other explanation.
How's that gritty style going now?

Not a single contender is running with anything close to it. The Eels were similar to us last season, but managed to evolve in order to stay relevant. That's all you need to know right there.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

afgtnk wrote: July 6, 2021, 3:17 pm
FROG wrote: July 6, 2021, 6:26 am Mate we should've been 4 from 4. We were the same gritty side that has challenged for a premiership the past couple of years. We have not been the same side since. I attribute that to CNK going down and the players and coaches falling out when we subsequently started to lose but who really knows. One thing I do know is that for 5 years straight, even during 17 and 18 Ricky was a proud coach and the team were always in the contest. This same group of men are now unrecognisable. It has to be mental. There can be no other explanation.

Not a single contender is running with anything close to it. The Eels were similar to us last season, but managed to evolve in order to stay relevant. That's all you need to know right there.
The implosion really started to manifest itself I think after back-to-back thrashings against Penrith and Parra.

I think it really demonstrated how far off the pace were were against quality sides so long as they came to play. Penrith took a while to get going but once they did they just left us in the dust in a demoralising way. Same with Parra.

Attributing it to CNK is a bit reductionist. He may have been the first domino to fall but the spiral we are in now is much, much deeper than one player.
Up The Milk
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 6, 2021, 3:33 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 6, 2021, 3:17 pm

The implosion really started to manifest itself I think after back-to-back thrashings against Penrith and Parra.

I think it really demonstrated how far off the pace were were against quality sides so long as they came to play. Penrith took a while to get going but once they did they just left us in the dust in a demoralising way. Same with Parra.

Attributing it to CNK is a bit reductionist. He may have been the first domino to fall but the spiral we are in now is much, much deeper than one player.
Agreed. I think if CNK never went down it would have only delayed the inevitable implosion once we realised we were off the pace. We were never in it this year with our style of play.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

It must be living in Canberra so long, the politicians rub off on everyone... The he can trick people into think he is "honest" and then do the exact opposite and still have supporters.

His "big changes" were one non-forced change? Do we really think Simonsson was all our issues in that last game?

The season is a write off, put in some of the young kids to give them a run and throw out the play book... Timoko should be back, give Rushton a go, etc.

Instead... this (the team list for this week)...
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

The team announced makes no sense in comparison to his post match presser. The only thing seems to hint at punishing tapine again.

Even if he doesn't get sacked. This club would be crazy if not at least having conversations with Bennett or Bellamy to take advisory roles if they aren't interested in coaching full time.

The concern with Bellamy would be that stick views him as a colleague and a mate and therefore doesn't listen to him. With Bennett he has at least sought advice from him before.

Honestly would be happy with not signing a single new player if this club could open up the bank and find a way to have Bellamy work for them and if they could find a way to co-exist, Stuart's passion for the club and jersey with Bellamy's discipline and smarts would have rosters taking care of themselves!
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Seamonkey wrote: July 6, 2021, 4:49 pm The team announced makes no sense in comparison to his post match presser. The only thing seems to hint at punishing tapine again.

Even if he doesn't get sacked. This club would be crazy if not at least having conversations with Bennett or Bellamy to take advisory roles if they aren't interested in coaching full time.

The concern with Bellamy would be that stick views him as a colleague and a mate and therefore doesn't listen to him. With Bennett he has at least sought advice from him before.

Honestly would be happy with not signing a single new player if this club could open up the bank and find a way to have Bellamy work for them and if they could find a way to co-exist, Stuart's passion for the club and jersey with Bellamy's discipline and smarts would have rosters taking care of themselves!
Ricky to PR boss, Bellamy to Head Coach...
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Ricky can go to head of football (like Ikin at Broncos), so he can keep doing his community, pathway and recruiting stuff, which I think he is good at

For head coach, I'd even go Josh Morris over him. Yep it's got to that stage. I have no confidence that Ricky will learn any lessons going into 2022. He got lucky / did well on the back of the English recruiting, and has now regressed to his mean. Enough
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Haha I love the idea of Bellemy or Bennett coming here to work under Stuart

And for our next trick. We’ll resurrect Steve Jobbs and have him installed as DFJ’s #2 man
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Botman wrote: July 6, 2021, 7:03 pm Haha I love the idea of Bellemy or Bennett coming here to work under Stuart

And for our next trick. We’ll resurrect Steve Jobbs and have him installed as DFJ’s #2 man
Yeah, zero chance of either coming and having a leash put on them. Let Ricky do the sponsorship/PR/charity stuff he's so obviously good at, and let a supercoach loose
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

At this stage, I'd be happy with even Shane Flanagan as an assistant coach - his win rate of 54.5% is better than Ricky's. I don't want Dean Pay back - I recall our defence in 2017 was bad before he left

How about the club - if it wants to "stick" with Sticky - hire a coach to groom them for the job in 2024 - a good assistant (much like what Souths did with Jason Demetrieou). if Ricky doesn't work out in 2022 then there's the option of putting them in charge. I cannot see any of our current assistant coaches being FG coaches.

But for me, this cannot keep going on and even though I don't like him, I'd offer Wayne Bennett the coaching job for 2022 given our predicament.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:At this stage, I'd be happy with even Shane Flanagan as an assistant coach - his win rate of 54.5% is better than Ricky's. I don't want Dean Pay back - I recall our defence in 2017 was bad before he left

How about the club - if it wants to "stick" with Sticky - hire a coach to groom them for the job in 2024 - a good assistant (much like what Souths did with Jason Demetrieou). if Ricky doesn't work out in 2022 then there's the option of putting them in charge. I cannot see any of our current assistant coaches being FG coaches.

But for me, this cannot keep going on and even though I don't like him, I'd offer Wayne Bennett the coaching job for 2022 given our predicament.
No club worth its salt, with any hope of establishing a good club culture, hires a coach found to have facilitated drug and salary cap cheating. Seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk