Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Re: Coaching issues

Post by mongoose »

damn, well seems like most coaches in the NRL have been involved in the Raiders at some point lol, Mcguire, Seibold, Payten, Bellamy, Bennet, Walters... did Robinson and Arthur have a stint?
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

mongoose wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:52 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:23 am
Mickey_Raider wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:17 am
The Nickman wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:15 am
Botman wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:14 am Flanagan has no ties to the club and to the best of my knowledge no one in the QLC was involved in his upbringing at all, so he's got buckley's chance of being appointed HC of this club.
Which is absolutely wonderful given Flanagan is a huge piece of ****.

Nepotism 1
Professionalism 1,151,578,565
Who's going to be our next coach? It's gotta be a forward doesn't it? Brett White? Dane Tilse perhaps?

What's bloody Michael Weyman up to these days??
I think I will scream if the next coach is Brett White or Cappy.

Can we not get some clear air from the boys club for once? ****
Matthew Elliott would be the only head coach appointed since Sheens who didn't play for the Raiders.
Neil Henry?
From Wikipedia

Henry was a foundation player of the Raiders, having played for the club from 1982 and 1984 in the lower grades. After a succession of player-coach positions at local clubs in the Canberra competition, he was made coach of the Western Reds' Under 19 team in 2017, before coaching Raiders lower-grade teams between 1999 and 2002.

So technically hasnt played for the NRL side, he still had ties to the club.
Perth Based Raiders Fan
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

PerthRaider86 wrote: May 27, 2021, 12:16 pm
mongoose wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:52 am
Northern Raider wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:23 am
Mickey_Raider wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:17 am
The Nickman wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:15 am
Who's going to be our next coach? It's gotta be a forward doesn't it? Brett White? Dane Tilse perhaps?

What's bloody Michael Weyman up to these days??
I think I will scream if the next coach is Brett White or Cappy.

Can we not get some clear air from the boys club for once? ****
Matthew Elliott would be the only head coach appointed since Sheens who didn't play for the Raiders.
Neil Henry?
From Wikipedia

Henry was a foundation player of the Raiders, having played for the club from 1982 and 1984 in the lower grades. After a succession of player-coach positions at local clubs in the Canberra competition, he was made coach of the Western Reds' Under 19 team in 2017, before coaching Raiders lower-grade teams between 1999 and 2002.

So technically hasnt played for the NRL side, he still had ties to the club.
Well that makes no sense at all.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

So apparently Gus is going to have lunch with Ricky next week...

I know Gus is polarising but what would people think about him having some kind of high level involvement in the Raiders?
Up The Milk
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 27, 2021, 1:55 pm So apparently Gus is going to have lunch with Ricky next week...

I know Gus is polarising but what would people think about him having some kind of high level involvement in the Raiders?
Can he give us 4 good months at halfback?

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im not a huge fan of Gus as a personality or commentator, but the ground work he laid at Penrith is a BIG part of the reason they're a juggernaut right now

I think he's got to have something offer Stuart in terms of getting us out of this **** show
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

he has a role with the Warriors so i'd say any official role would be a conflict of interest wouldn't it?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: May 27, 2021, 2:12 pm he has a role with the Warriors so i'd say any official role would be a conflict of interest wouldn't it?
Yeah i dont think any official role is on the cards, but we're in quite a **** place right now and he's probably got something to offer a friend in advice on how to handle this
Leebola
Brett Mullins

Post by Leebola »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 27, 2021, 1:55 pm So apparently Gus is going to have lunch with Ricky next week...

Gus is a mouthy pain in the **** on TV, but we need every scrap of RL wisdom we can muster at the moment. Someone of his stature might also be of help in smoothing out any concerns a potential signing might have about the club. I'd be in favour...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I'd say it involves player movement before 30 June...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Coaching issues

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Mickey_Raider wrote:So apparently Gus is going to have lunch with Ricky next week...

Isn’t that his current role at the Warriors?
When do we call in Michae Hagan for a team review?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Flanagan as coach is one of the few things that would test my love for the Raiders. Anyone who think that’s a good idea... just incredible.

Gould also stay the hell away from my club.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

gangrenous wrote: May 27, 2021, 8:28 pm Flanagan as coach is one of the few things that would test my love for the Raiders. Anyone who think that’s a good idea... just incredible.

Gould also stay the hell away from my club.
I'm not a big fan of Gus as he loves himself, but at least he has got a good football brain and he's smart. Not the best administrator signing people like DWZ and Moylan to long term contracts and then releasing them and paying some freight. He does have some good insights and I rate him highly on that regard.

Gus may be trying to flog off Euan Aiken to us ! "You need a centre, Ricky, Croker's knee has had it"

I would prefer we don't have Flanagan - he has been implicated on all sorts of things. I would also rather not have his son as halfback. Anyway the point is moot as Ricky will see out his deal. We should be looking for a new Head of Physical Performance to replace Two-Dads and assistant coaches in defence and attack.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

My mate just played a recording of what apparently is stuart at half time giving jt to the team.

Wonder if its real. Anyone heard it?
Its full on. He lost it badly.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

benda wrote:My mate just played a recording of what apparently is stuart at half time giving jt to the team.

it's not him it's been around for years, afl coach

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

bonehead wrote: May 27, 2021, 9:49 pm
benda wrote:My mate just played a recording of what apparently is stuart at half time giving jt to the team.

it's not him it's been around for years, afl coach

Haha it fooled me.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

afgtnk wrote:
Brew wrote: May 26, 2021, 10:24 pm Craig Bellamy is still unsigned for next year. Raider #26

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One of the greatest coaches of all-time who's still at the top of his game is an old boy, played his entire career here, then came through the ranks as a youth coach with us, is off-contract and this club isn't even in with a sniff.

That tells you everything you need to know about our lack of ambition.
Couldn’t agree with you even more.

Imagine what he would do with this squad.

In Ricky We Trust
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Coaching issues

Post by gangrenous »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: I'm not a big fan of Gus as he loves himself, but at least he has got a good football brain and he's smart.
He’s really not. Scratch the surface on any of his thoughts and ideas and they just don’t hold up to scrutiny. He’s the type of person whose ideas sound great until you actually think about the practicalities of them.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Brew wrote:
afgtnk wrote:
Brew wrote: May 26, 2021, 10:24 pm Craig Bellamy is still unsigned for next year. Raider #26

One of the greatest coaches of all-time who's still at the top of his game is an old boy, played his entire career here, then came through the ranks as a youth coach with us, is off-contract and this club isn't even in with a sniff.

you don't think Stick or Don haven't casually checked his interest? I'd be pretty shocked if Bellamy needed to be formally offered a role. Don has openly stated his respect and friendship with him and we know how tight stick and him are.
If Bellamy was in anyway interested it'd be on.
For mine I'd be trying to get him in on any deal that suited him, part time, whatever as he's said how much he enjoyed playing grandfather last season in Qld.

Edrick The Entertainer
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

gangrenous wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:35 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: I'm not a big fan of Gus as he loves himself, but at least he has got a good football brain and he's smart.
He’s really not. Scratch the surface on any of his thoughts and ideas and they just don’t hold up to scrutiny. He’s the type of person whose ideas sound great until you actually think about the practicalities of them.
Guys.. say what you want about Gus.. but Penrith today is basically him.

Even Clearly is him. Maybe they had their disagreements but he was the first to see him as a top coach.

Penrith should prove to everyone that you can build a powerhouse with a proper business plan.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

There is zero chance we pivot to Flanagan and rightly so...

Barring a complete revolt and meltdown of the nuclear variety we are stuck with Ricky...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

bonehead wrote: May 28, 2021, 7:27 am
Brew wrote:
afgtnk wrote:

you don't think Stick or Don haven't casually checked his interest? I'd be pretty shocked if Bellamy needed to be formally offered a role. Don has openly stated his respect and friendship with him and we know how tight stick and him are.
If Bellamy was in anyway interested it'd be on.
For mine I'd be trying to get him in on any deal that suited him, part time, whatever as he's said how much he enjoyed playing grandfather last season in Qld.

Bellamy’s next move will be to the Sunshine Coast...

Melbourne are working overtime to convince him to stay with them in some capacity and work from the Sunshine Coast...

I give the new Brisbane franchise the biggest chance of landing Bellyache...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: May 27, 2021, 10:35 pm
Gus says a lot of smart things and a lot of really really stupid things. The latter often get overlooked due to the mystique he's created about himself. His thought processes are still stuck in the 90s and has very little place in the modern game.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

As a media commentator and someone reacting to the game as it is, i completely agree... but i'll say again, as a football administrator, he laid the ground work and built the foundations for which this panthers juggernaut is now built on
He walked into that club, and it was a **** show from top to bottom, from coaching, facilities, professionalism, culture, junior pathways and recruitment/retention

You can not talk about how good the panthers are right now without talking about the work he did to allow that club to flourish. Frankly i hate the guy, never have liked him. But his results on re-building a football club from the ground up, and laying that foundation to turn them into a powerhouse can not be denied.

If he and Stuart are buddies, we'd be mad not to at least tap into that a little bit for some unofficial advice/thoughts. To dismiss him as if he has nothing to offer this club is insane to me
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: May 28, 2021, 8:31 am As a media commentator and someone reacting to the game as it is, i completely agree... but i'll say again, as a football administrator, he laid the ground work and built the foundations for which this panthers juggernaut is now built on
He walked into that club, and it was a **** show from top to bottom, from coaching, facilities, professionalism, culture, junior pathways and recruitment/retention

You can not talk about how good the panthers are right now without talking about the work he did to allow that club to flourish. Frankly i hate the guy, never have liked him. But his results on re-building a football club from the ground up, and laying that foundation to turn them into a powerhouse can not be denied.

If he and Stuart are buddies, we'd be mad not to at least tap into that a little bit for some unofficial advice/thoughts. To dismiss him as if he has nothing to offer this club is insane to me
Jesus, "hate" is a strong word, pal. Wouldn't it be better just to say you'd prefer he and all of his brethren and offspring were dead?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: May 28, 2021, 8:31 am As a media commentator and someone reacting to the game as it is, i completely agree... but i'll say again, as a football administrator, he laid the ground work and built the foundations for which this panthers juggernaut is now built on

Agree...
Can't stand his smug media personality, but he has a brain for administration and implementation of processes required to build a club the right way.
I do however think the meeting may have more to do with player movement...
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Coaching issues

Post by LastRaider »

Stuart in the press conference yesterday

"We spoke at length on Wednesday and a bit on Tuesday in regards to his [Hodgson] role at both No.9 and No.13. I think the game is moving more towards a ball-playing No.13 these days."

Ball-playing no. 13? What planet is he on seriously!

Ball-playing fullback we need! A no. 13 needs to be agile, excellent defender in the middle to contain the 6-again rule who can push a quick play the ball.

We are so doomed!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont know what game you've been watching LastRaider, but his remarks about the game moving towards needing a lock forward who has ball playing skills is 100% spot on
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Ricky is spot on...
Ball playing 13's are the trend now with the new rules..
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Think Stuart is going down a blind alley with the concept Hodgson as a ball playing lock forward. For me it’s his ability to read the play, awareness and decision making from dummy half that stand out as his primary skillset, rather than first receiver, running lines and throwing cut out passes and floaters.

Hodgson is a pretty good hooker but I think he would he bad at lock and atrocious at half back. Sometimes we get carried with thinking a few skills in area of the game will seamlessly transfer to other positions and everything will magically fall into place.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

rayden83 wrote: May 28, 2021, 4:21 pm Think Stuart is going down a blind alley with the concept Hodgson as a ball playing lock forward. For me it’s his ability to read the play, awareness and decision making from dummy half that stand out as his primary skillset, rather than first receiver, running lines and throwing cut out passes and floaters.

Hodgson is a pretty good hooker but I think he would he bad at lock and atrocious at half back. Sometimes we get carried with thinking a few skills in area of the game will seamlessly transfer to other positions and everything will magically fall into place.
Yep, I think Hodgson could handle the role but I'm not a fan if we're being honest. I think it's a role that both Hodgson and Whitehead could play but ultimately a guy on Hodgson's pay packet is wasted in that position. I'd prefer Whitehead there on that basis.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Coaching issues

Post by LastRaider »

Botman wrote:I dont know what game you've been watching LastRaider, but his remarks about the game moving towards needing a lock forward who has ball playing skills is 100% spot on
Of the 16 teams, name the game starting ball playing locks? Just checked this weeks starting list and no starting 13. Is a ball playing lock.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Radley, Smith, Brown, Yeo, Murray... all these are examples of what the 13 role is becoming...
They may not wear 13 on their backs, they may not start in that role, but as the game progresses they end up playing that role...
Hodgson can develop in this role...as can Wighton if we choose...
Ideally Tapine would play this role for us if he weren’t injured...
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

GreenMachine wrote:Radley, Smith, Brown, Yeo, Murray... all these are examples of what the 13 role is becoming...
They may not wear 13 on their backs, they may not start in that role, but as the game progresses they end up playing that role...
Hodgson can develop in this role...as can Wighton if we choose...
Ideally Tapine would play this role for us if he weren’t injured...
Agree
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

They're semi ball playing in that they add width to the attack etc. Tapine is not of that mould at all. Interestingly Melbourne still don't use one and they have arguably the best attack, so it's not a necessity