Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Botman »

I've listened to Cronk a lot, and i have no idea what he's like privately but on camera he can barely string a sentence together. Just **** word salad every time
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m not having relations with the missus til we win..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Botman wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:01 pm I've listened to Cronk a lot, and i have no idea what he's like privately but on camera he can barely string a sentence together. Just **** word salad every time
Really? Cronk seems obviously the most intelligent analyst on either media platform covering the NRL for mine.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

That gangrenous thinks Cooper Cronk is highly intelligent explains a hell of a lot about him tbh.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

hobbsy wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:05 pm
Botman wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:01 pm I've listened to Cronk a lot, and i have no idea what he's like privately but on camera he can barely string a sentence together. Just **** word salad every time
Really? Cronk seems obviously the most intelligent analyst on either media platform covering the NRL for mine.
He's clearing a low bar there, and i have no doubt he is very intelleigent on the game but he absolutely has no idea what he's doing communicating it on tv. He just stumbles through his words and thoughts like he's a deer in the headlight.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:09 pm
He's clearing a low bar there, and i have no doubt he is very intelleigent on the game but he absolutely has no idea what he's doing communicating it on tv. He just stumbles through his words and thoughts like he's a deer in the headlight.
Which I think in turn would make him an ordinary coach, tbh.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Yeah your not wrong about the low bar and to be fair I'm normally pretty sauced when watching the games (and now) so he seems to make sense to me but I feel like he is usually on point with his analysis and predictions. Seems to always have a better idea of what's going on than most in coverage.

Whether it translates well to coaching is a fair unknown but.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

hobbsy wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:13 pm
Yeah your not wrong about the low bar and to be fair I'm normally pretty sauced when watching the games (and now) so he seems to make sense to me but I feel like he is usually on point with his analysis and predictions. Seems to always have a better idea of what's going on than most in coverage.

I generally think the theme of what he's trying to communicate is pretty on the mark, but it's like there is a missing link between his brain and mouth.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Botman wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:27 pm

I generally think the theme of what he's trying to communicate is pretty on the mark, but it's like there is a missing link between his brain and mouth.
**** thats relatable, no wonder I like him
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

hobbsy wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:30 pm
Botman wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:27 pm

**** thats relatable, no wonder I like him
Sorry Hobbsy - I’m not quite getting what you’re saying... 😜
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Most good intelligent coaches can barely string a sentence together. Look at Bellamy, Cleary and Bennett, for example. I think all would struggle to register a score on the Wonderlic but in terms of footy IQ, player/relationship management etc they are all punching billies. Then there’s Hasler...

There seems to be a correlation between slurring words, kindergarten level vocabulary and coaching success, possibly because it helps them connect with the cattle they work with. Its the slick, loquacious types like DCE that you should he concerned about.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Can't say i've ever had issues with Bellemy or Bennett's communication
They're pretty clear and consise in what they say and how they say it... they're generally pretty curt in pressers though. Haven't listened to Cleary enough to comment on. But they're objectively dreadful examples to bring up in relation to this.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: May 8, 2021, 8:28 pm Can't say i've ever had issues with Bellemy or Bennett's communication
They're pretty clear and consise in what they say and how they say it... they're generally pretty curt in pressers though. Haven't listened to Cleary everything I to comment on. But they're objectively dreadful examples to bring up in relation to this.
I agree with your assessment of Bellemy and Bennett and have heard enough of Cleary to say he is a great communicator. I’d also say Robertson speaks well as does Madge and even Payton
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

I can’t believe after the past 10 years people still rate what Bennett is doing.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Botman wrote: May 8, 2021, 8:28 pm Can't say i've ever had issues with Bellemy or Bennett's communication
They're pretty clear and consise in what they say and how they say it... they're generally pretty curt in pressers though. Haven't listened to Cleary enough to comment on. But they're objectively dreadful examples to bring up in relation to this.
You need to get off the wacky weed mate. :lol: Bellamy is an objectively terrible communicator. I have no idea how he communicates with his players but in regards to with the media he is one of the most uncouth around. No it isnt just him being “curt” and “concise” :lol: Bennett you can definitely accuse of being curt but he is also a terrible with media.
Perhaps they all play dumb to hide their tells but at face value they are all objectively bad media communicators.

On the other hand Cronk is a pretty good communicator and above average analyst. I guess thats why he has a job at Fox Sports doing exactly that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah... na.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 8, 2021, 9:13 pm I can’t believe after the past 10 years people still rate what Bennett is doing.
I dont think that i think he's in the echelon of coaching of Bellemy or Robinson are right now, but he has certainly proven he's still able to get good results. He's a good coach. Good enough? Probably not.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Hes very *unpersonal*
obvioously knew what he was doing on the football field but im not sure he's ever been good at explaining it

* im not sure if this even a word
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Stuart is not the right coach to take us forward

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Aero wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:48 pm It's the same coach that got us to a GF and deep into the finals the past few years. The problem isn't the coach

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Paul Green won the comp in 2015 for Nth Qld, prelim in 2016, GF in 2017. Sacked in 2020.

Too stale and players were not performing for him.

Ricky has no idea. Remarkably 2021 is already over after 9 rounds and more disturbingly, some of our good players want to leave. The players are stale. If Ricky cannot get them up for a proper pre season or just the second half, it's on him. He has a job, and is underperforming in his job.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

kiwi raider wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:00 pm
Hes very *unpersonal*
obvioously knew what he was doing on the football field but im not sure he's ever been good at explaining it

It isn’t a word, but if it was it would score 12 in scrabble
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Re: Stuart is not the right coach to take us forward

Post by rayden83 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:25 pm
Aero wrote: May 8, 2021, 4:48 pm It's the same coach that got us to a GF and deep into the finals the past few years. The problem isn't the coach

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Paul Green won the comp in 2015 for Nth Qld, prelim in 2016, GF in 2017. Sacked in 2020.
He was sacked after a few bad seasons, not a few bad games :roflmao
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

Cronk’s one of the better fox sports panelists IMO. His in-game commentary is not quite as slick as his pre/post game analysis, but as he gets more experience he’ll become one of fox sports’ more valuable experts.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

afgtnk wrote: May 8, 2021, 7:11 pm
Which I think in turn would make him an ordinary coach, tbh.
As opposed to someone like des Hasler? Furner was another one who was incoherent, and while I'd agree that he was an ordinary coach, he has had a fair bit of success as an assistant.

What I guess I'm saying is being an effective communicator is obviously critical. But having the substance behind it including a high EQ surely has to be the greatest contributing factor as to who would make a good coach
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

the bone wrote:Cronk’s one of the better fox sports panelists IMO. His in-game commentary is not quite as slick as his pre/post game analysis, but as he gets more experience he’ll become one of fox sports’ more valuable experts.
Cronk’s biggest issue during a game is that he’s very obviously running on a treadmill as he commentates.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Cronk would be interesting but is he even interested in FT coaching? Thought he was pretty happy with his media gigs in Sydney + he moved there pretty much because it was the right place for he and his wife to both pursue their career goal? I thought I remembered something like that about his move to Sydney. Could be wrong.

Bellamy would be gettable of he still wants to coach. No reason he wouldn't come here. Ricky has shown you can recruit here. Bellamy would have so much clout and belief that he'd be able to bring in some good, ambitious players. He's a winner- players know that.

Pretty sure our board will go to RIcky first and say "what do you need?" and Ricky will say "a clean out" before the board would ever go to Ricky and tell him to reconsider his position. He's stubborn and he's not done with this Raiders project. He'll need to evolve again.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:00 pm Hes very *unpersonal*

Impersonal is probably what you’re after.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: May 9, 2021, 7:34 am
Billy Walker wrote:
kiwi raider wrote: May 8, 2021, 11:00 pm Hes very *unpersonal*

Impersonal is probably what you’re after.
I’d say so - and with the I and the M it would score 14. Always good to take those two extra points on offer hey!
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Another issue I've been thinking over... Stuart is too close to the players. The reason a team like the Roosters has been so successful for so long is they don't give two **** about loyalty. If they think there is a better player out there, off you go then, we have better for less money. For us, we are paying people massive overs as a reward for loyalty, but if it all gets too hard most of them will still walk away with-out so much as a second thought.

I know I'm guilty of it too, but maybe loyalty has no place in modern rugby league, and Stuart loves loyalty.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ultima wrote: May 9, 2021, 6:35 pm Another issue I've been thinking over... Stuart is too close to the players. The reason a team like the Roosters has been so successful for so long is they don't give two **** about loyalty. If they think there is a better player out there, off you go then, we have better for less money. For us, we are paying people massive overs as a reward for loyalty, but if it all gets too hard most of them will still walk away with-out so much as a second thought.

I know I'm guilty of it too, but maybe loyalty has no place in modern rugby league, and Stuart loves loyalty.
Interesting take and I won’t argue it. I look at the Panthers who are currently flying and wonder how many of those guys feel a connection or have a strong appreciation for Brad Izzard, Royce Simmons or any other former panther. History and traditions are great and something Ricky is huge on but I’d like this current crop to find their own strong culture more than having an appreciation of what went before them.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

the bone wrote: May 9, 2021, 4:03 am Cronk’s one of the better fox sports panelists IMO. His in-game commentary is not quite as slick as his pre/post game analysis, but as he gets more experience he’ll become one of fox sports’ more valuable experts.
Cronk's in game commentary is an abomination, he makes Blocker sound like a Cambridge professor.

He's no dummy though, he's just one of those guys who's brain thinks too fast for his mouth.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Billy Walker wrote: May 10, 2021, 11:30 pm
Ultima wrote: May 9, 2021, 6:35 pm Another issue I've been thinking over... Stuart is too close to the players. The reason a team like the Roosters has been so successful for so long is they don't give two **** about loyalty. If they think there is a better player out there, off you go then, we have better for less money. For us, we are paying people massive overs as a reward for loyalty, but if it all gets too hard most of them will still walk away with-out so much as a second thought.

Interesting take and I won’t argue it. I look at the Panthers who are currently flying and wonder how many of those guys feel a connection or have a strong appreciation for Brad Izzard, Royce Simmons or any other former panther. History and traditions are great and something Ricky is huge on but I’d like this current crop to find their own strong culture more than having an appreciation of what went before them.
I mean, they've got a coach/star player combo who will only work with each other. There's a wee bit of nepotism going on there.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Timbo wrote: May 11, 2021, 9:19 am
Billy Walker wrote: May 10, 2021, 11:30 pm

I mean, they've got a coach/star player combo who will only work with each other. There's a wee bit of nepotism going on there.
Culture and success are probably a chicken and egg thing. Easy to have a happy team when you are blowing everyone off the park. When things aren’t so good all the little things start to grate on people.

I do find it interesting though to think about things that might be issues like whether Ricky is too close to the players or whether the emphasis should be more on the current than the past. I think in the end though neither of these are major issues - we just need a few wins.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Penrith are blowing teams off the park because:

1. They have a back 5 that play the yardage game out of trouble better than most teams...

2. They have two playmakers with exceptional kicking games and play making acumen...

3. They have a mobile, agile forward pack that work together in attack and are less gassed in defence because of the two points I listed above.

Throw in a great hooker and speed in every position...

The 6 again rule really has simplified the game. You nail these points and you will be in contention...
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

GreenMachine wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:05 am Penrith are blowing teams off the park because:

1. They have a back 5 that play the yardage game out of trouble better than most teams...

2. They have two playmakers with exceptional kicking games and play making acumen...

3. They have a mobile, agile forward pack that work together in attack and are less gassed in defence because of the two points I listed above.

The 6 again rule really has simplified the game. You nail these points and you will be in contention...
I was thinking about this the other day, could you imagine Benji in his prime playing under these rules? Or that 05 Tigers squad for that matter?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:55 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 11, 2021, 10:05 am Penrith are blowing teams off the park because:

I was thinking about this the other day, could you imagine Benji in his prime playing under these rules? Or that 05 Tigers squad for that matter?
Yeah they would be killing it...
In an effort to remove wrestling, rather than outlaw wrestling, the NRL has turned the game into glorified Oztag...
It's all about speed and more speed from the moment you return the kick...
The days of carrying 3 battering ram middles are gone...your 13 needs to be able to ball play and attack...
Your kick returns must bring the ball back to your forward line to prevent them from becoming fatigued quickly.