Coaching issues

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: Coaching issues

Post by Northern Raider »

Totally agree this is 100% on Ricky to fix. He also needs to be given the opportunity to do so. He took over a very ordinary squad and undertook a rebuild which culminated in a preliminary in 2016. Wheels fell off next couple of years and once again he proved capable of turning it around and we ended up in a GF followed by a preliminary last year.

He's unquestionably our most successful coach since Time Sheens and proven capable of getting us back to being a contender on multiple occasions. That has at least earned him the right to try and do it one more time.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The Green Machine was flying towards a title. Now it’s broken, and Ricky must prove he can fix it

The Green Machine was flying towards a title. Now it’s broken, and Ricky must prove he can fix it. His players will always “hurt” and he won’t be able to “fault their effort”. But after making the same mistakes week on week, Stuart’s default excuses of “luck” – or a lack thereof – and “the bounce of the ball” begin to wear thin.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d2a00b107a

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Coaching issues

Post by LastRaider »

Finally a journalist calling Stuart out for his repetitive unlucky and bounce of the ball excuses. Poor decision making as well. Thank you George Clarke

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

George Clarke will henceforth be blacklisted by Ricky.

If he dares to rock up to a presser and ask a question, I daresay he will get the cold shoulder like that journalist did a few years back for writing mean things about him.
Up The Milk
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

The article is a ripper. It’s like a he has followed the greenhouse all year and summarised our collective thoughts!

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

We are all George Clarke
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Issues:
Team selection - esp bench
Game day rotations
Tactics - Attack and defense
Player retention/ recruitment

You know... only the small things
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

To those who support Ricky through and through, what has he done well this year? I'm asking journalists like Kent and Hooper as well.

He only debuted HSS and Savage out of necessity. And dropped Timoko when he didn't deserve to be dropped.

He virtually lost a game for us with his tactic of substituting CNK 60% through a game when we were leading 12-6

He had rubbish use of the bench earlier in the year which probably resulted in the Warriors, Newcastle and Nth Qld losses

Rubbish tactics v St George when we had the wind. The guy didn't even know the rules when he subbed Savage for Kris, which would have cost us 2 points if we had won

The side couldn't get up for must win games v Newcastle and Roosters

He picked his favourites nearly every week until it was too late

Players were complaining about leaks

Is this a coach any elite player with options would join?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:31 pm To those who support Ricky through and through, what has he done well this year? I'm asking journalists like Kent and Hooper as well.

He only debuted HSS and Savage out of necessity. And dropped Timoko when he didn't deserve to be dropped.

He virtually lost a game for us with his tactic of substituting CNK 60% through a game when we were leading 12-6

He had rubbish use of the bench earlier in the year which probably resulted in the Warriors, Newcastle and Nth Qld losses

Rubbish tactics v St George when we had the wind. The guy didn't even know the rules when he subbed Savage for Kris, which would have cost us 2 points if we had won

This yr was a giant ****! Basically everything he did backfired in a massive way. I know how this is going to sound, but I back Ricky to fix it. He is the most successful coach we have had since Sheens in regards to finals etc. He made the changes with Cappy and Ennis that turned us around a couple of yrs ago, and we went to a GF. I think he can do it again.

I wonder what part he played in any of the off field stuff in regards to Scott, GWilly, Croker, Sia, Hodgo, Papa and Tapine.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:39 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:31 pm To those who support Ricky through and through, what has he done well this year? I'm asking journalists like Kent and Hooper as well.

This yr was a giant cluster F! Basically everything he did backfired in a massive way. I know how this is going to sound, but I back Ricky to fix it. He is the most successful coach we have had since Sheens in regards to finals etc. He made the changes with Cappy and Ennis that turned us around a couple of yrs ago, and we went to a GF. I think he can do it again.

I wonder what part he played in any of the off field stuff in regards to Scott, GWilly, Croker, Sia, Hodgo, Papa and Tapine.
Matt - I like Ricky as well. Love his passion and energy. One of my fav players. But I'm hurting this year. I want more than GF and prelim appearances. Us and Eels fans haven't tasted success in a long time. I totally get that we cannot be top 4 every year, but it's the way how we played and loss. We hindered ourselves even before the game begun with team selections.

I really hope you are right. I don't think it needs a tweak. Wholesale changes from pre season, game tactics, and team composition need to happen
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:47 pm
Matt wrote: September 3, 2021, 2:39 pm

This yr was a giant cluster F! Basically everything he did backfired in a massive way. I know how this is going to sound, but I back Ricky to fix it. He is the most successful coach we have had since Sheens in regards to finals etc. He made the changes with Cappy and Ennis that turned us around a couple of yrs ago, and we went to a GF. I think he can do it again.

Matt - I like Ricky as well. Love his passion and energy. One of my fav players. But I'm hurting this year. I want more than GF and prelim appearances. Us and Eels fans haven't tasted success in a long time. I totally get that we cannot be top 4 every year, but it's the way how we played and loss. We hindered ourselves even before the game begun with team selections.

I really hope you are right. I don't think it needs a tweak. Wholesale changes from pre season, game tactics, and team composition need to happen
I agree mate.
Not sure about wholesale changes personnel wise, but there are some serious tweaks required. Most important though, we need a 7, coz he isnt at the club, even if the club might think otherwise.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Petition to change the thread title…
“Coach IS the issue”
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Northern Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:53 pm Totally agree this is 100% on Ricky to fix. He also needs to be given the opportunity to do so. He took over a very ordinary squad and undertook a rebuild which culminated in a preliminary in 2016. Wheels fell off next couple of years and once again he proved capable of turning it around and we ended up in a GF followed by a preliminary last year.

He's unquestionably our most successful coach since Time Sheens and proven capable of getting us back to being a contender on multiple occasions. That has at least earned him the right to try and do it one more time.
He has. And I do have some sort of confidence that he'll be able to, given his history.

However, that doesn't abate the sheer disappointment of this season. It's an utter failure - particularly because it was so much of his (and by extension, staff) own doing. It's the height of arrogance to think you can keep playing the same way season after season, especially in the face of drastic rule changes SPECIFICALLY designed to increase the speed and attacking nature of the game.

He knew what was coming, yet he decided to double down and kept trying to swim against the tide, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary of his strategy repeatedly smacking him in the face, game after game. That's what's absolutely pissing me off - it didn't have to be this way.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: September 3, 2021, 4:33 pm
He knew what was coming, yet he decided to double down and kept trying to swim against the tide, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary of his strategy repeatedly smacking him in the face, game after game. That's what's absolutely pissing me off - it didn't have to be this way.
I have to agree that this was the most frustrating aspect of this season
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

afgtnk wrote: September 3, 2021, 4:33 pm
Northern Raider wrote: September 3, 2021, 12:53 pm Totally agree this is 100% on Ricky to fix. He also needs to be given the opportunity to do so. He took over a very ordinary squad and undertook a rebuild which culminated in a preliminary in 2016. Wheels fell off next couple of years and once again he proved capable of turning it around and we ended up in a GF followed by a preliminary last year.

He has. And I do have some sort of confidence that he'll be able to, given his history.

However, that doesn't abate the sheer disappointment of this season. It's an utter failure - particularly because it was so much of his (and by extension, staff) own doing. It's the height of arrogance to think you can keep playing the same way season after season, especially in the face of drastic rule changes SPECIFICALLY designed to increase the speed and attacking nature of the game.

Abso-****-lutely. This season was an unmitigated disaster. To go from a premiership frontrunner to a team battling to make the top 8 alongside some pretty awful sides (e.g. Sharks and Dragons) is something that can't be written off as unlucky. It's Sticky's mess and his job to clean it up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

My concern is premiership windows close down mostly due to consistent factors like age, cap constraints and players moving on.

Our window slammed itself shut through talented players regressing for no reason (Taps and Wighton, even GWilly) and then weird persistence with players who were clearly declining due to injury and age (Croker, Hodgo, Whitehead etc).

I think Hodgo and Whitehead still have value to add but only if the stubborn approach to their minutes and roles change dramatically next year.

It just shows although talent was there to win a GF, the supporting structure around it wasn't at the same standard. It's not just the coach though in this mess and that's the hard part. Even if by miracle we had landed a Bellamy I wouldn't be totally shocked if it ended in disaster with him at odds with the board.

The one move by this club that would make me feel confident would be the addition of an experienced successful GM and legitimate big hitting senior coaching consultant to rebuild all the support structures and approach to rosters.
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Players move on in any successful team. It's how you deal with it - look at Melbourne. No excuses but regenerate year after year.

Age is a concern but Roosters used the Morris brothers well. Helps that they are backs.

We have talent in our ranks - it's whether you are brave enough to play them.

Biggest issue for mine is coaching. Bellamy and Robinson would have us in the top 4 based on this year's roster. Ricky was right last night - there's no point in making the semis if we couldn't beat a Roosters team with all the injuries and JWH pulling out. Question is - why couldn't we ?

Hannay did wonders with the Sharks after a popular John Morris was sacked. Injuries also to Johnson and Moylan, Dugan hardly got on the park. Had the guts to drop Fifita.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I've come to the conclusion we should throw cash at Flanagan. He won a premiership and kept a tram full of big average players competing well above their expectations. I don't give a **** that he was banned for cheating. No one remembers that ****. The NE Patriots cheated, bent the rules, then did so once more for good measure, doesn't **** matter they have a massive run on wins and no one will remember the details about why ten years from now.

I'm over being the club that hasn't won anything for a quarter of a century...
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 4, 2021, 9:13 am Hannay did wonders with the Sharks after a popular John Morris was sacked.
Not sure about "wonders". Morris got them to the finals when he was coach. Hannay didn't. And now they've replaced Hannay with Fitzgibbon.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
HoraceBigCigar
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

Anyone who has any doubts about where we are: watch Rorters vs. Milk and then watch Rorters vs. Titans.
It’s gonna be a loooong 2022
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

So this year we are using Guler to play the role Lui did last year (on for for approximately twenty minutes then benched forever), all forwards bench still, boring as bat **** game plan, using forwards as 5/8's, split halves, no accountability for when players have stinkers...

So you know, the same as last year... Poor team selection, absolutely insane bench utilisation, game plans either non-existent or just moronic... I'm expecting him to be re-signed for another forty years if we happen to beat someone from last years top eight though, likely during the origin period....

Additional - He has no real game plan, but refuses to adapt no matter what happens... It's like he spends all week analysing the tapes, then has to justify his time so can't possibly change the plan to match what's happening on the field in front of him!

He can't inspire even mediocracy! At least the players could see some passion if he was on the side line but the wuss won't do that anymore because the media is mean to him...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ultima wrote: March 19, 2022, 8:24 pm So this year we are using Guler to play the role Lui did last year (on for for approximately twenty minutes then benched forever), all forwards bench still, boring as bat **** game plan, using forwards as 5/8's, split halves, no accountability for when players have stinkers...

So you know, the same as last year... Poor team selection, absolutely insane bench utilisation, game plans either non-existent or just moronic... I'm expecting him to be re-signed for another forty years if we happen to beat someone from last years top eight though, likely during the origin period....

Additional - He has no real game plan, but refuses to adapt no matter what happens... It's like he spends all week analysing the tapes, then has to justify his time so can't possibly change the plan to match what's happening on the field in front of him!

He can't inspire even mediocracy! At least the players could see some passion if he was on the side line but the wuss won't do that anymore because the media is mean to him...
A bit unfair.

We had a new game plan and plenty of ball movement first round. We either changed that for the conditions or were unable to execute it.

3rd choice half they really targeted well and Jack look liked 2021 all having to do it himself and it doesn't work.

The backs selections? The plodder buys (Elliot)? No idea. We play in NQ in March/early April every single year + Darwin games- you think he'd have figured out a method by now.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

BadnMean wrote:
Ultima wrote: March 19, 2022, 8:24 pm So this year we are using Guler to play the role Lui did last year (on for for approximately twenty minutes then benched forever), all forwards bench still, boring as bat **** game plan, using forwards as 5/8's, split halves, no accountability for when players have stinkers...

A bit unfair.

We had a new game plan and plenty of ball movement first round. We either changed that for the conditions or were unable to execute it.

3rd choice half they really targeted well and Jack look liked 2021 all having to do it himself and it doesn't work.

The backs selections? The plodder buys (Elliot)? No idea. We play in NQ in March/early April every single year + Darwin games- you think he'd have figured out a method by now.
yeah agree BnM, ball is like a cake of soap, bounced against us all night and Charnze was uncharacteristically bad.
Missing Cotric, Rapana, Fogarty, Schneider, Hodgson hurts us badly.
Surely we bring in Rushton or Mooney for Elliott and Sutton for Guler.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Gi back and read page 1 of this thread, and tell me what has changed since then
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Nothing's changed from last year. We played even better in the corresponding game v Cowboys last year. We were lucky in Rd 1 when Cronulla were also crap.

We let teams roll down the field, we have bad line speed, we make too many errors, and look clunky as ever. We hurt ourselves with team selections even before we get on the field.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: March 19, 2022, 8:55 pm
BadnMean wrote:

A bit unfair.

yeah agree BnM, ball is like a cake of soap, bounced against us all night and Charnze was uncharacteristically bad.
Missing Cotric, Rapana, Fogarty, Schneider, Hodgson hurts us badly.
Surely we bring in Rushton or Mooney for Elliott and Sutton for Guler.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
I'd be willing to pencil in now Elliot is selected in the 17 every week he is fit for the first 20 rounds at least.

I reckon he'll play more gamesthan Savage, Mooney, Sutton combined.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

BadnMean wrote: March 19, 2022, 9:29 pm I'd be willing to pencil in now Elliot is selected in the 17 every week he is fit for the first 20 rounds at least.

I reckon he'll play more gamesthan Savage, Mooney, Sutton combined.
Absolutely. He's a lock.
Ultima
Laurie Daley

Post by Ultima »

Stuart's presser - "It's simple mate, when you have less football, complete less sets, and make more errors than your opposition you're not going to win". So that's it everyone, that's the only issues out there. I'm assuming he is ignoring inconvenience facts like how we had more possession in the first half yet were still behind...

CNK sounds like he is safe still as Stuart thinks we defended well and this was just "one of those games" when it comes to not being able to catch.... So we don't need more training, it's just luck...

Well next week we will stock up on rabbits feet, make sure we don't break any mirrors or walk under any ladders and we should be good!

Other notes:
Adam Elliot was out there for 71 minutes, that's longer than any other forward was (Although we can assume Young also would a have been out there 80 given the choice). Can anyone explain to me why he was left out there so long?

Elliot, 71 minutes - 7 Runs for 48 Metres, 7 Hitups, 14 Post contact, 0 tackle breaks. Average Play the ball speed 4.19s. 34 tackles, 1 missed, 2 ineffective.
Horsburgh, 36 minutes - 10 Runs for 99 Metres, 7 Hitups, 31 Post contact, 3 tackle breaks. Average Play the ball speed 3.25s. 20 tackles, 1 missed.
Guler, 25 minutes - 6 Runs for 46 Metres, 6 Hitups, 20 Post contact, 2 tackle breaks. Average Play the ball speed 3.44s. 11 tackles, 1 ineffective.

So why would Elliot get so much time when even in just this tiny sample set Horsburgh and Guler are better?
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I guess he left Elliot out there as he's the smallest and most mobile forward and most able to cope with the heat/humidity without hitting the wall. I assume he tests well for fitness levels.

No idea what RIcky's plan for rotations is/was. I was struggling to figure out what position Elliot was in when we had him + Whitehead, CHN, Young out there. I think CHN went into lock/prop at one stage.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

Ricky is not a good coach. He makes the same mistakes over and over and over again. He ducks responsibility for the side being unprepared (physically and mentally) and he gas-lights the fans and the media by constantly declaring he has the answers while delivering nothing but more of the same.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Bad Luck has the best record against Ricky…at least according to Ricky.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Time he moved into another role.
Mr Squiggle
Ken Nagas
Favourite Player: Brad Clyde

Post by Mr Squiggle »

sprintman wrote: March 20, 2022, 9:10 am Time he moved into another role.
Why does he deserve another role and what makes you think he'd be any good?

Lucrative contracts for failed old boys is the kind of unprofessional Bull that keeps clubs like the Raiders wallowing in mediocrity.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

There are some talented assistants out there that could freshen up our approach - Jason Ryles, Josh Hannay, Cameron Ciraldo... always risky propositions but I'm not sure Stuart can do much better than he already has at this club.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Mr Squiggle wrote: March 20, 2022, 9:42 am
sprintman wrote: March 20, 2022, 9:10 am Time he moved into another role.
Why does he deserve another role and what makes you think he'd be any good?

Lucrative contracts for failed old boys is the kind of unprofessional Bull that keeps clubs like the Raiders wallowing in mediocrity.
Figurehead maybe or half time orange boy?