zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2020 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by zim »

Bay53 wrote: April 21, 2021, 6:44 am
zim wrote: April 20, 2021, 10:52 pm
Bay53 wrote: April 20, 2021, 10:36 pm Bit of a strange press conference. Ricky called it to get out of the way the discussion about the team but then refused to answer questions as to why he had made the decisions he had.
I think it was more about having to speculate who was going to be selected. This way it's already known.
But the press conference was after the team had been released.
Yeah so if it was before the team announcement those asking the questions wouldn't already know who is being selected to play where. Ricky doesn't have to answer a bunch of questions around who was dropped and who is playing where is my point.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

zim wrote: April 21, 2021, 10:30 am
Bay53 wrote: April 21, 2021, 6:44 am
zim wrote: April 20, 2021, 10:52 pm
Bay53 wrote: April 20, 2021, 10:36 pm Bit of a strange press conference. Ricky called it to get out of the way the discussion about the team but then refused to answer questions as to why he had made the decisions he had.
I think it was more about having to speculate who was going to be selected. This way it's already known.
But the press conference was after the team had been released.
Yeah so if it was before the team announcement those asking the questions wouldn't already know who is being selected to play where. Ricky doesn't have to answer a bunch of questions around who was dropped and who is playing where is my point.
So why call a press conference to say nothing??

He called a press conference ahead of the scheduled one today because he knew there would be questions about team selection, then preceded to tell everyone he didn’t want to talk about it.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 21, 2021, 10:20 am
Bay53 wrote: April 21, 2021, 6:43 am At the right price, I would take Milford back in a heartbeat. I think I’m the right environment, he could still be a very handy player. The superstar I expected him to be maybe not, but a very good player, definitely.
If he had half a good season you could bet he'd be agitating for a release to return to Queensland. Not worth it, time has moved on.
This is where we could learn a lot from the Storm.

The truth is if we got him for low money and he had a good season he would agitate to get to a club that would pay him the money he believes he is worth. I think the Qld thing might be a bit old hat now.

What would the Storm do? They would recruit him, make him a premiership player and then accept he will leave. They then get the next guy and rinse and repeat.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I am a great believer that to win the premiership you need to "cheat" the salary cap.

Now to actually cheat the salary cap, that is pay more than your are allowed to, that is not easy to do and there are penalties if you get caught. But it is perfectly legal to be able to find players and pay them less than the what their performances end up being worth. It is the classic beating the handicapper.

In 2019 we did that perfectly. We got CNK for peanuts, Simonsson for a few pennies and Bateman whilst he wasn't on small money, he was probably paid as a slightly better than middle of the road back-rower and turned out a superstar. We made do with a half that was on less money than the average NRL half and our stars in Papalii, Wighton and Hodgson earned their high wages. The result, we were ten minutes away from a premiership.

What concerns me is happening now, is we are going down the path of 2017 / 18 where we have been forced to play players their market worth and players who are paid to be better than average are just going. Not necessarily playing badly, not necessarily not deserving their spot but not playing to the level they need to play at if we are going to commit that % of the salary cap to them.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Bay53 wrote: April 21, 2021, 11:52 am I am a great believer that to win the premiership you need to "cheat" the salary cap.

Now to actually cheat the salary cap, that is pay more than your are allowed to, that is not easy to do and there are penalties if you get caught. But it is perfectly legal to be able to find players and pay them less than the what their performances end up being worth. It is the classic beating the handicapper.

In 2019 we did that perfectly. We got CNK for peanuts, Simonsson for a few pennies and Bateman whilst he wasn't on small money, he was probably paid as a slightly better than middle of the road back-rower and turned out a superstar. We made do with a half that was on less money than the average NRL half and our stars in Papalii, Wighton and Hodgson earned their high wages. The result, we were ten minutes away from a premiership.

What concerns me is happening now, is we are going down the path of 2017 / 18 where we have been forced to play players their market worth and players who are paid to be better than average are just going. Not necessarily playing badly, not necessarily not deserving their spot but not playing to the level they need to play at if we are going to commit that % of the salary cap to them.
This only works if your prepared to let good players go, because they impact your cap too much.
Perfect example for us was Cotric....the mistake we made was grabbing Scott.
In an ideal world, we would have tried to lure Lomax and would probably have paid more to do it (given Melbourne paid freight for Scott for the first year)...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

How's Hoppa been going? He's eligible for selection in a couple of weeks.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

GreenMachine wrote: April 21, 2021, 12:19 pm
Bay53 wrote: April 21, 2021, 11:52 am I am a great believer that to win the premiership you need to "cheat" the salary cap.

This only works if your prepared to let good players go, because they impact your cap too much.
In an ideal world, we would have tried to lure Lomax and would probably have paid more to do it (given Melbourne paid freight for Scott for the first year)...
Storm still are paying for Scott. It is after this year it gets tricky.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote:How's Hoppa been going? He's eligible for selection in a couple of weeks.
Out injured four weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: April 21, 2021, 12:26 pm
Northern Raider wrote:How's Hoppa been going? He's eligible for selection in a couple of weeks.
Out injured four weeks.

Ouch. We'll be struggling to fill a backline in NSW Cup let alone replace guys like Croker and Scott in 1st grade.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: April 21, 2021, 12:39 pm
Out injured four weeks.

Ouch. We'll be struggling to fill a backline in NSW Cup let alone replace guys like Croker and Scott in 1st grade.
Keep fit NR, we may need you.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-PJ- wrote: April 21, 2021, 12:42 pm
Out injured four weeks.

I'm off to KFC as we speak
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Northern Raider wrote: April 21, 2021, 12:56 pm
Out injured four weeks.

I went earlier, just waiting by the phone.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

flegg season is nearly finished so nsw cup opportunities probably await a few of those boys

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

bonehead wrote: April 21, 2021, 1:35 pm flegg season is nearly finished so nsw cup opportunities probably await a few of those boys

I think you mean SG Ball, we don't have a Flegg team. Of the backs in that team, I think only Xavier Savage would be considered for NSW Cup. In the forwards, Clay Webb, Caleb Esera and Trey Mooney either have or will play NSW Cup this year. JJ Clarkson would have too if he didn't suffer a really serious injury that will see him struggle to return in 2021.

Don't forget we have a whole squad of Under 21s that were due to play Flegg that can come into NSW Cup. I saw on the stream of the local league Manase Kaho was playing local comp. He should be developing in a state wide comp. Someone like that will come into NSW Cup.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote: April 21, 2021, 12:58 pm
Out injured four weeks.

That'll be my lunch tomorrow. I'll be ready in Townsville if they need me this weekend.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: April 21, 2021, 2:43 pm
That'll be my lunch tomorrow. I'll be ready in Townsville if they need me this weekend.
I didn't see The Nickman on the team sheet this week. That rules you out regardless of how many family buckets you consume.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: April 21, 2021, 12:39 pm Ouch. We'll be struggling to fill a backline in NSW Cup let alone replace guys like Croker and Scott in 1st grade.
Get on the zinger crunch *chefs kiss*

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: April 21, 2021, 3:02 pm
The Nickman wrote:

Get on the zinger crunch *chefs kiss*

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I can't go past five pieces of hot and spicy.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

We did try to sign Lomax. He was under contract and the Dragons weren't interested in letting him go.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raider Azz wrote: April 21, 2021, 3:28 pm

We did try to sign Lomax. He was under contract and the Dragons weren't interested in letting him go.
My take on it was they were happy for him to look elsewhere (hence Raiders interest) then changed their mind. They then offered an extension. I assume they had somebody else ahead of him in the queue that didn't pan out as they expected. Jason Saab maybe?
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Bay53 wrote: April 21, 2021, 1:58 pm
bonehead wrote: April 21, 2021, 1:35 pm flegg season is nearly finished so nsw cup opportunities probably await a few of those boys

I think you mean SG Ball, we don't have a Flegg team. Of the backs in that team, I think only Xavier Savage would be considered for NSW Cup. In the forwards, Clay Webb, Caleb Esera and Trey Mooney either have or will play NSW Cup this year. JJ Clarkson would have too if he didn't suffer a really serious injury that will see him struggle to return in 2021.

Don't forget we have a whole squad of Under 21s that were due to play Flegg that can come into NSW Cup. I saw on the stream of the local league Manase Kaho was playing local comp. He should be developing in a state wide comp. Someone like that will come into NSW Cup.
Re: Xavier Savage - I don't know much about the rest of his game but **** me he's gotta easily be the quickest to put on a raiders jersey in recent years. Check out the 55 second mark https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ighlights/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL 18th man rule needs review, says Raiders star forward Ryan Sutton

Raiders ironman Ryan Sutton believes the NRL must refine its fledgling 18th man policy to further strengthen the league's approach to dealing with concussion.

"It's never going to get used because the chance of that happening are very slim to none," Sutton said. "There's got to be a little review behind it and a little process to what goes through it, it can't just happen with a click of the fingers, there's got to be a process towards it.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Elliott Whitehead: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... hitehead2/

GALLERY: Training: Raiders v Cowboys: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... v-cowboys/
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Turbo_Raider wrote: April 21, 2021, 5:24 pm Re: Xavier Savage - I don't know much about the rest of his game but **** me he's gotta easily be the quickest to put on a raiders jersey in recent years. Check out the 55 second mark https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ighlights/
Damn son. Fast track him
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Turbo_Raider wrote: April 21, 2021, 5:24 pm

Re: Xavier Savage - I don't know much about the rest of his game but **** me he's gotta easily be the quickest to put on a raiders jersey in recent years. Check out the 55 second mark https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ighlights/
Christ. Imagine having that in our team

Hopefully he's going to be able to do enough to have his body and defence First Grade ready by next season
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

afgtnk wrote:

Hopefully he's going to be able to do enough to have his body and defence First Grade ready by next season
his profile says he's 6' and 90kg, interested if that's true

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yeah Savage has really only got to know how to play a little bit and he's going to play FG with that sort of speed.
Excited to see how he goes in the next 12 months
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

simo wrote:this is it. finally, this is the week. we will finally see a full 80 minutes without an uncharacteristic wighton kick out on the full
That’s a big call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Not a fan of that petulance when the centre doesn't get it away first time.

Makes up for it, of course.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

bonehead wrote: April 21, 2021, 7:07 pm
afgtnk wrote:

Looks like his body still needs to fill out a bit

Most impressive part of that to me is his step and jink in and away to create enough space to make the run. Good footy smarts - plenty of track stars try to make it in the game, but it's not that often that you're gonna get the ball to only run and do nothing else
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

simo wrote: April 21, 2021, 8:52 am
Pete Cash wrote: April 21, 2021, 8:48 am
simo wrote: April 21, 2021, 8:44 am
Pete Cash wrote: April 21, 2021, 8:27 am
BJ wrote: April 20, 2021, 7:26 pm The only conclusion I’ve drawn from the Tapine exclusion is it’s attitude and effort related. He certainly hasn’t run straight and hard the last fortnight.

Beating players by going sideways only works when the defenders think you are a good chance of going direct. This is an age old constant in Rugby League.
Against Penrith I agree he was poor but really against the Eels he "didnt run hard"

He made 114 m with 58 of them post contact. How is he consistently bending the line like that if hes not running hard ? I think he could be more involved (which is probably the message stick is trying to send or there are concerns about his defence after returning up in the North) but i highly disagree with anyone arguing he isn't running the ball hard enough. I think thats a perception around him kind of looking sleepy.

Find me a player in our team who gains post contact metres like Tapine ?
some teams love giving away post contact meters. in certain situations its just seen as a slow play the ball. successful offloads > post contact meters. id prefer he worked on that.
He had the fastest average PTB in the side against the eels at 2.88s
yeah, the play the ball is fast between when held is called and he plays it. its the 4 slow steps forward where the defenders are just holding on to him, but allow slow forward progression so the ref doesnt call held that allows the defensive line to set and be ready to jump.
I was talking about this with a league mate recently. We decided it would be interesting to see the median (median > average as average skewed to outliers) run meters that come from the play following each players runs. If those medians do not correlate strongly with play the ball speed, then play the ball speed is pretty meaningless.
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Turbo_Raider »

afgtnk wrote: April 21, 2021, 7:34 pm
bonehead wrote: April 21, 2021, 7:07 pm
afgtnk wrote:

Looks like his body still needs to fill out a bit

Most impressive part of that to me is his step and jink in and away to create enough space to make the run. Good footy smarts - plenty of track stars try to make it in the game, but it's not that often that you're gonna get the ball to only run and do nothing else
Agreed, the rest of his highlights somewhere on youtube (albeit snipits i know) show that he could well end up being more than just another wannabe sprinter turned c grade footy player. His in and out running style has SOME similarities to a JAC or Hamiso style ball runner. Let's hope he amounts to something, afterall looks like he came all the way from north qld to play for us!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Im really feeling for Ricky with his team selections imagine what its going to be like around Origin with all our candidates.
This place is woke.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Question wrote: April 22, 2021, 5:28 am Im really feeling for Ricky with his team selections imagine what its going to be like around Origin with all our candidates.
yeah I think we might be pretty light on come origin. Cotric is obviously no longer and Lui is not going to get picked from reserve grade. I think Jacko's only chance may be as the utility on the bench. He has not pushed up to be the 5/8 and I think there are better centre options.

His one chance may be that they like a back on the bench and he can really cover all positions from 1 to 7 or even play back row, where they often like a bit of fresh legs on the edge.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

We should allow the Williams and Wighton combo to settle and control the team...no excuses now. Then bring Hodgo back when he's healthy (around Origin) when it's likely we'll lose Jack.

Come run into the finals you would hope all are fit and combining well.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

That second rower, Noah Saddler looks decent too. Reminds me of Shaun Lane with a bit more bulk behind him.