19%

Total votes: 31

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: 2020 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews

Post by zim »

I think we'll see Simonsson given a rest after another head knock. Valemei to come in there. CHN to come into the side on the bench.
We either need to run with a back on the bench or have someone we're willing to put in the second row that isn't Havili, so either shift someone else or have CHN or Kris on your bench.

Horsburgh played a great game in reserves and has earned a call back. Happy to see him picked if it happens. Not sure who sits out though.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

After watching Cowboys yesterday.. they like to play quick and over the adv line.. their starting hooker likes to run and Granville gives them a bit more speed around the ruck when he comes on.. they'll be too quick for Havili must go with Starling instead.
Start horse and Sutton props.
14. Starling
8. Papalii
16. CHN
17. James
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2021, 5:17 am
Matt wrote:Straight off the bat, I reckon Ricky is stubborn as always. So Kris IN, Starling OUT. With the potential for a prop rotation policy change only, meaning, maybe James returns for ??? Suttgod maybe, due to his recent workload.

As for my 2 cents, I'd go a little further.

CHN has be our best player in NSW Cup for 3 wks. Has 4 tries in that time too. He has to come in as well. As much as I love him, it would be at Sias expense. Not for lack of heart or desire, but looking a bit old, slow and ineffective.

1st thing Id wanna do, is split up Papa and Tapine. So 1 start, 1 bench. Keeps the go forward for 80mins.

This means I can move Young to lock and start CHN. Yes, I'm aware that Huddo has been one of our best players this yr, but, we need CHNs fire-power. And Huddo proved last yr how good he was as a lock too.

Because we are having issues with our right edge catching colds, Id move CHN to the strong left, like Fifita, Kikau, and we saw from Papali'i last night. I think this would actually make Croker more dangerous, because teams will have to watch for CHN, thus opening holes for him too. Whitehead can play bodyguard on the right, and because he can ball play, maybe that right edge sees some ball. This solves an issue we have had for at least 2 yrs.

Id seriously consider switching Rapa and Simmo too. Rapa is a right winger. He carries the ball in the wrong hand for the left, and looks lost at times. He is also an aging player who seems to forget he has lost a yard of pace when white line fever gets him. This isn't Simmos issue, having seen him nearly pull Sivos pants down on halftime this wk. Also, with Whitey and Rapa on the right, maybe we actually go that way once or twice. At worst, at least we have added a "battering ram" winger to that side of the field, coz, ATM that's all our right side does, and they aren't built for it.

Id leave Kris on the bench for Starling. With Kris, Havili and 2 middles, we now have ample cover and the greatest balance, as we have cover for backs, hooker, half via Whitey (Kris or Huddo edge) or Hodgo (Liva to 9), middle or edge (Kris or Huddo).

Give this new setup a wk to see if it works. If not, Kris comes in for Scott or Simmo next wk.
You realise most normal people just list their 1 to 17 without writing a rambling essay about it?
What are you, the word police? Let a man ramble.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Scared Hitless wrote: April 19, 2021, 11:51 am
Matt wrote:Straight off the bat, I reckon Ricky is stubborn as always. So Kris IN, Starling OUT. With the potential for a prop rotation policy change only, meaning, maybe James returns for ??? Suttgod maybe, due to his recent workload.

CHN has be our best player in NSW Cup for 3 wks. Has 4 tries in that time too. He has to come in as well. As much as I love him, it would be at Sias expense. Not for lack of heart or desire, but looking a bit old, slow and ineffective.

1st thing Id wanna do, is split up Papa and Tapine. So 1 start, 1 bench. Keeps the go forward for 80mins.

This means I can move Young to lock and start CHN. Yes, I'm aware that Huddo has been one of our best players this yr, but, we need CHNs fire-power. And Huddo proved last yr how good he was as a lock too.

Because we are having issues with our right edge catching colds, Id move CHN to the strong left, like Fifita, Kikau, and we saw from Papali'i last night. I think this would actually make Croker more dangerous, because teams will have to watch for CHN, thus opening holes for him too. Whitehead can play bodyguard on the right, and because he can ball play, maybe that right edge sees some ball. This solves an issue we have had for at least 2 yrs.

Id seriously consider switching Rapa and Simmo too. Rapa is a right winger. He carries the ball in the wrong hand for the left, and looks lost at times. He is also an aging player who seems to forget he has lost a yard of pace when white line fever gets him. This isn't Simmos issue, having seen him nearly pull Sivos pants down on halftime this wk. Also, with Whitey and Rapa on the right, maybe we actually go that way once or twice. At worst, at least we have added a "battering ram" winger to that side of the field, coz, ATM that's all our right side does, and they aren't built for it.

Id leave Kris on the bench for Starling. With Kris, Havili and 2 middles, we now have ample cover and the greatest balance, as we have cover for backs, hooker, half via Whitey (Kris or Huddo edge) or Hodgo (Liva to 9), middle or edge (Kris or Huddo).

Give this new setup a wk to see if it works. If not, Kris comes in for Scott or Simmo next wk.
You realise most normal people just list their 1 to 17 without writing a rambling essay about it?
What are you, the word police? Let a man ramble.
Well, you know the old expression... you can lead a Matt to forum, but you can't stop him rambling incoherently about garbage.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Also, what the hell happened to Matt's Matchups this year? Has he got too important for us all now with his many podcasts, radio segments and television shows??
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Not my style, and u know it
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:39 am
Matt wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:58 pm Straight off the bat, I reckon Ricky is stubborn as always. So Kris IN, Starling OUT. With the potential for a prop rotation policy change only, meaning, maybe James returns for ??? Suttgod maybe, due to his recent workload.

Pretty solid suggestion. Seems too radical for Ricky. Between Whitehead, Rapana and George you'd have 3 players with what I'd consider quite high awareness and skill level for ad lib ball movement and off the cuff decisions. Could work well together.
100%, hence the cavet off the bat. BUT...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2021, 10:06 am
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 19, 2021, 9:59 am The team I would like to see based on form:

1. Caleb Aikens
2. Semi Valemi
3. Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Elliot whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom starling
15. Ryan James
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Emre Guler/Corey Horsborgh
I have to say I quite like that team.

I also have to say, there's no **** chance we'll see a team remotely resembling that.
For a start, pretty sure Semi is injured as he didnt play NSW Cup on the weekend
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote: April 19, 2021, 12:33 pm

Not my style, and u know it
And that's why we love you, you absolute mental patient xox
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Matt wrote: April 19, 2021, 12:41 pm
Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 19, 2021, 9:59 am The team I would like to see based on form:

1. Caleb Aikens
2. Semi Valemi
3. Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Elliot whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom starling
15. Ryan James
16. Ryan Sutton

I also have to say, there's no **** chance we'll see a team remotely resembling that.
For a start, pretty sure Semi is injured as he didnt play NSW Cup on the weekend
Well that is a bummer. Things seem to be a bit quiet on injury news for the overall squad this year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

1. Caleb Aikens
2. Semi Valemi
3. Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Elliot whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom starling
15. Ryan James
16. Ryan Sutton

Injury aside does his form justify elevation? I've not really seen any NSW Cup to pass judgement on that. What I can say is he looked a weak link late last year at NRL level. If I'm comparing his form then to Simo now then I'm not making that change.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Raiders666 wrote: April 19, 2021, 6:25 am Did you guys see that Xavier Savage try going around in Facebook? Jesus Christ he is quick :shock:....Cant wait until he is ready
Yup, I thought the video was on 1.5x speed. haha. Gosh he is quick. Just needs to mature into his body and he will be first grade ready.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Northern Raider wrote: April 19, 2021, 1:18 pm

1. Caleb Aikens
2. Semi Valemi
3. Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Elliot whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom starling
15. Ryan James
16. Ryan Sutton

Injury aside does his form justify elevation? I've not really seen any NSW Cup to pass judgement on that. What I can say is he looked a weak link late last year at NRL level. If I'm comparing his form then to Simo now then I'm not making that change.
For me based on last years form valemi was the most dangerous looking one out there based on speed...

Everyone else seemed pretty easy to tackle.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Changes required, won’t hold my breath.

2mrws TLT is much anticipated.

Let’s see what Stick comes up with.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

papabear wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:38 pm

1. Caleb Aikens
2. Semi Valemi
3. Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Elliot whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom starling
15. Ryan James
16. Ryan Sutton

For me based on last years form valemi was the most dangerous looking one out there based on speed...

If he was in the team now I know where all the opposition kicks would be going.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:44 pm
papabear wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:38 pm For me based on last years form valemi was the most dangerous looking one out there based on speed...

Where?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:48 pm
papabear wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:38 pm For me based on last years form valemi was the most dangerous looking one out there based on speed...

Where?
Hopefully over the dead ball line
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:55 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:48 pm

Where?
Hopefully over the dead ball line
Nice. We should play him then, that's a solid tactic.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:44 pm If he was in the team now I know where all the opposition kicks would be going.
He'd certainly be targetted, he's too error prone at the moment, anyway.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

1. Caleb Aikens
2. Semi Valemi
3. Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Elliot whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom starling
15. Ryan James
16. Ryan Sutton

I haven't heard great things, no. Twas HSS killing it, but he blew up his bicep
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

What about Timoko?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Caleb Aekins leans on Charnze Nicll-Klokstad as he builds on Canberra Raiders debut

Caleb Aekins is determined to shine in Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad's boots with the injured fullback himself aiding the cause after Aekins impressed in a tough night for the club against Parramatta last week.

"I can just lean on him whenever I have any questions and he has been quite open with me, saying 'if you need any help just come find me or give me a message'," Aekins said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Aekins on mixed emotions after Raiders debut: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ers-debut/
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2021, 5:14 pm What about Timoko?
Pretty sure his biceps are ok.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Somebody has probably already named this team but after a bit of thought I think this is what I'm hoping to see tomorrow taking in to account the fact that we likely won't see big changes:
1. Aekins
2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Whitehead
12. Harawira-Naera
13. Young

14. Starling
15. Sutton
16. Guler
17. Horsburgh

18. Kris

I said last week that we don't have room to play Starling because Hodgson is an 80min hooker but he's proving each week that he's not. He doesn't seem fit enough to play the full 80min under the current rules and I think that has an effect on his decision making. I would start Starling for around 25-30min then bring Hodgson on. That's a change that can be made without majorly adapting our game plan that I think will allow us to address the speed of the current game better. It seems that most teams are playing with two hookers now anyway. Switch Simonsson to the left and Rapana to the right with Simonsson, Croker and Scott all on notice to lift. Although I'd like to see Stuart replace Croker or Scott with Kris, I just don't see it happening at the moment. I would also have Harawira-Naera on the left and Whitehead on the right. With the middles I've named, none should need to play more than 50min a game as those guys should have the fitness, mobility and experience to get the job done if we don't overwork them. The game has moved on from the older guys such as Soliola and Lui. They need to be seen as injury cover and you would only want one of them included in the 17 at a time. Havili is 18th man material for his versatility but it's a waste to carry him on the bench as a middle. The younger middle forwards have enough NRL experience now... we don't particularly need the older guys for leadership qualities.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders_Pat wrote:Somebody has probably already named this team but after a bit of thought I think this is what I'm hoping to see tomorrow taking in to account the fact that we likely won't see big changes:
1. Aekins
2. Simonsson
3. Croker
4. Scott
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Whitehead
12. Harawira-Naera
13. Young

14. Starling
15. Sutton
16. Guler
17. Horsburgh

18. Kris

I said last week that we don't have room to play Starling because Hodgson is an 80min hooker but he's proving each week that he's not. He doesn't seem fit enough to play the full 80min under the current rules and I think that has an effect on his decision making. I would start Starling for around 25-30min then bring Hodgson on. That's a change that can be made without majorly adapting our game plan that I think will allow us to address the speed of the current game better. It seems that most teams are playing with two hookers now anyway. Switch Simonsson to the left and Rapana to the right with Simonsson, Croker and Scott all on notice to lift. Although I'd like to see Stuart replace Croker or Scott with Kris, I just don't see it happening at the moment. I would also have Harawira-Naera on the left and Whitehead on the right. With the middles I've named, none should need to play more than 50min a game as those guys should have the fitness, mobility and experience to get the job done if we don't overwork them. The game has moved on from the older guys such as Soliola and Lui. They need to be seen as injury cover and you would only want one of them included in the 17 at a time. Havili is 18th man material for his versatility but it's a waste to carry him on the bench as a middle. The younger middle forwards have enough NRL experience now... we don't particularly need the older guys for leadership qualities.
Kris will definitely be somewhere, I think he’ll be in instead of Starling. Otherwise, I think you’ve come pretty close to nailing it.

I hope so anyway, that’s not an awful team.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

"Hodgson is taking on too much of the posession" Buzz. Kent replies " that's the feeling around the club".
Kent is close with Ricky so there's the confirmation of an unhappy playing group due to dogmatic Hodgson.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Raiders_Pat, in Sticky's presser after the Eels game, he was kicking himself that we didn't have a bench player who can play in the backline so that he doesn't have to put a backrower there and shuffle everyone around. It ruined our defensive structure and the Eels focused on players in unfamiliar positions having to make defensive decisions. I think he will have a back on the bench and I reckon it will be Kris. For mine Kris would be in the starting 13 with Timoko on the bench. I reckon Kris is our form three quarter in 2021 and form should count. The Panthers did the same to us the prior week. I don't reckon Sticky will make that selection error again this week.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

radicalraider wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:01 pm "Hodgson is taking on too much of the posession" Buzz. Kent replies " that's the feeling around the club".
Kent is close with Ricky so there's the confirmation of an unhappy playing group due to dogmatic Hodgson.
Interesting Buzz guessed that Stuart was referring to Scott, Young, and Tapine for not having a go. Then Baldy Hooper said there's talk among other players in other teams regarding our centres.

If you were an opposition centre, you would love to play against Croker - not big, not fast, no creativity, suspect defender
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

We are in the firing line this week. We really need to make a statement this week. I will be at the game with 3 x Cowboys fans and 1 x Eels fan. I am very hopeful we smash them.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:22 pm
radicalraider wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:01 pm "Hodgson is taking on too much of the posession" Buzz. Kent replies " that's the feeling around the club".
Interesting Buzz guessed that Stuart was referring to Scott, Young, and Tapine for not having a go. Then Baldy Hooper said there's talk among other players in other teams regarding our centres.

If you were an opposition centre, you would love to play against Croker - not big, not fast, no creativity, suspect defender
I think Buzz is right for a change, he should of added Croker, hogson and Soliola.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

if Kent is talking ****, you know Stuart is steaming on the performances

This changes my expectations for tomorrow. He's an emotional decision maker, i was pretty sure he was going to give the bulk of the 17 another crack before swinging the axe, now im thinking there is a real chance the axe comes now.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Let’s just see more of Seb Kris, Ryan James and a throw in a couple of Coreys.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Botman wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:41 pm if Kent is talking ****, you know Stuart is steaming on the performances

This changes my expectations for tomorrow. He's an emotional decision maker, i was pretty sure he was going to give the bulk of the 17 another crack before swinging the axe, now im thinking there is a real chance the axe comes now.
I hope he does but I don't think he will. He'll never drop Croker hodgo or Sia
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

radicalraider wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:49 pm
Botman wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:41 pm if Kent is talking ****, you know Stuart is steaming on the performances

I hope he does but I don't think he will. He'll never drop Croker hodgo or Sia
I dont think Croker or Hodgson will be dropped. Sia i could see being "rested" the way James was. Though for very different reasons.
But i have at least some hopes other changes might be coming. A change in bench composition, some positional changes, and actually trending towards what i view as our best 17.

could be wrong, but im hopeful now at least
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Im glad there has been some pretty scathing and public criticism of the team this week.

What we dished up on the weekend wasn’t good enough, players and coach included.

Hopefully the fact this is happening early in the season prompts some meaningful changes which keeps our season alive.
Up The Milk