15. James
16. CHN
17. Horsburgh
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: 2020 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: April 18, 2021, 1:19 pm Anyone on here capable of more than one thought in their head? No CNK out is not the only problem, but it’s certainly a big one.

While he was out there we were holding our own against Penrith. That’s supported by the scoreboard.
Just stop dude. We get it. You have a massive, agenda driven hard-on for CNK. 2 + 2 does not equal 17. Correlation does not equal causation. Next someone will tell us we've had Dunamis Lui out for the past two games, so it must be Dunamis Lui's absence that's making the big difference here.

We kept up in large parts for the match last night as well, right up until half time. In the end, the weight of pressure and the way we were being run ragged made us gave in.

What the reality seems to be is that the last two games are the first two we've played this year against genuine top 4-6 quality opposition, as opposed to the four mid to lower table teams before them, and they've summarily disposed of us. That's happening with or without your love child I'm afraid.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

This is not a bad Cowboys team.. definitely a better backline than ours
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Cowboys will beat us, pretty sure of that. They have the speed, and it will be 13 v 11 if Croker and Sia play for us. And I've always been optimistic when we play the big teams. We are bloated, old, unfit, and think we can just turn up relying on 2019-20. There's not much of a difference now between some of the teams - look at Warriors v St George today. Stuart thinks he can pick his loyal old buddies, but we will be found out. Stuart won't make many changes this week. Assured of that. Look at 2017-18 - it's too late before he does something.
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 18, 2021, 5:58 pm Cowboys will beat us, pretty sure of that. They have the speed, and it will be 13 v 11 if Croker and Sia play for us. And I've always been optimistic when we play the big teams. We are bloated, old, unfit, and think we can just turn up relying on 2019-20. There's not much of a difference now between some of the teams - look at Warriors v St George today. Stuart thinks he can pick his loyal old buddies, but we will be found out. Stuart won't make many changes this week. Assured of that. Look at 2017-18 - it's too late before he does something.
If the Raiders can't beat a team that just let the Dogs score twice with 12 men, we need to shut the GH down and relocate the club.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Interesting fact: we're out of the 8 for the first time since Round 25, 2018.

Generally a Stuart coached side plays fairly consistent from start to the end of a season, as much in terms of ladder fluctuation. I can't recall any of his sides limping into top 8. If they're out of the 8 for a long periods of the season, they tend not to make it in the end.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

afgtnk wrote: April 18, 2021, 6:41 pm Interesting fact: we're out of the 8 for the first time since Round 25, 2018.

Generally a Stuart coached side plays fairly consistent from start to the end of a season, as much in terms of ladder fluctuation. I can't recall any of his sides limping into top 8. If they're out of the 8 for a long periods of the season, they tend not to make it in the end.
We don't deserve to be there, Alphabet. Our defence and attack suck. Other teams are playing better than us. You can only rely on spirit so much. It will be a long season unless radical changes are made. Will Stuart make them? You and I know the answer to that.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: April 18, 2021, 6:41 pm Interesting fact: we're out of the 8 for the first time since Round 25, 2018.

Hmmm yeah that's pretty interesting and matches the mood of the fan base and based on the presser, the coach.
Very interested to see the response from the team
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Are we fair dinkum?': Sia Soliola says Canberra Raiders must demand answers from within

Sia Soliola says dejected Canberra Raiders players need to ask themselves if they're "fair dinkum" about stamping themselves as NRL premiership contenders rather than pretenders.

"A few of us are going to have to have a good look at ourselves and ask ourselves questions, are we fair dinkum about this?" Soliola said. "They're choice things, they're attitude things, things you don't really coach. At the end of the day it comes back down to the individuals like Stick spoke about. It comes down to the individual and how much someone wants it."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I cannot believe we are still $12.00 (drifting from 10) to win the premiership, as just presented by Lozza Daley for TAB. It's more closer to $20-25
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

I honestly can't comprehend how anyone thinks Horse isn't in our best 17. You've all forgotten how good he is, he was outstanding for us before he got hurt last year. For anyone that's seen, how's he been going in reserve grade?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ricky said on Thursday he and Guler were purposely held back to get some match fitness after having bad leg injuries.

I'd say he'll come into contention this week

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

1 Aekins
2 Valemei
3 Timoko
4 Kris
5 Rapana
6 Wighton
7 Williams
8 Papalii
9 Starling
10 James
11 Young
12 CHN
13 Sutton

Bench:
Havili
Guler
Whitehead
Lui

Send a **** message Stick, maybe park the “mateship” for a week and pick a side hungry to go to Townsville and get the 2 (suddenly very important) competition points
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Hazza wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:09 pm I honestly can't comprehend how anyone thinks Horse isn't in our best 17. You've all forgotten how good he is, he was outstanding for us before he got hurt last year. For anyone that's seen, how's he been going in reserve grade?
He ran for 200 m last game... 170 odd the game before that
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

Hazza wrote:I honestly can't comprehend how anyone thinks Horse isn't in our best 17. You've all forgotten how good he is, he was outstanding for us before he got hurt last year. For anyone that's seen, how's he been going in reserve grade?
Amen, I have him well in front of someone like Guler

Love his aggression, albeit over the top sometimes and has a great offload

Desperately need him back and there is no doubt in my mind he plays origin last year if he didn’t get injured
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders666 wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:32 pm
Hazza wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:09 pm I honestly can't comprehend how anyone thinks Horse isn't in our best 17. You've all forgotten how good he is, he was outstanding for us before he got hurt last year. For anyone that's seen, how's he been going in reserve grade?
He ran for 200 m last game... 170 odd the game before that
He and CHN both been carving it up big time. They've responded to whatever Ricky was asking of them. The forward pack + stunk it up last week. C'mon Ricky.

Interesting young Hoppa has been posting some promising numbers too. He's played a few positions too, maybe they are trying to find his best one. He might be in the mix nearer the end of season too.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Straight off the bat, I reckon Ricky is stubborn as always. So Kris IN, Starling OUT. With the potential for a prop rotation policy change only, meaning, maybe James returns for ??? Suttgod maybe, due to his recent workload.

As for my 2 cents, I'd go a little further.

CHN has be our best player in NSW Cup for 3 wks. Has 4 tries in that time too. He has to come in as well. As much as I love him, it would be at Sias expense. Not for lack of heart or desire, but looking a bit old, slow and ineffective.

1st thing Id wanna do, is split up Papa and Tapine. So 1 start, 1 bench. Keeps the go forward for 80mins.

This means I can move Young to lock and start CHN. Yes, I'm aware that Huddo has been one of our best players this yr, but, we need CHNs fire-power. And Huddo proved last yr how good he was as a lock too.

Because we are having issues with our right edge catching colds, Id move CHN to the strong left, like Fifita, Kikau, and we saw from Papali'i last night. I think this would actually make Croker more dangerous, because teams will have to watch for CHN, thus opening holes for him too. Whitehead can play bodyguard on the right, and because he can ball play, maybe that right edge sees some ball. This solves an issue we have had for at least 2 yrs.

Id seriously consider switching Rapa and Simmo too. Rapa is a right winger. He carries the ball in the wrong hand for the left, and looks lost at times. He is also an aging player who seems to forget he has lost a yard of pace when white line fever gets him. This isn't Simmos issue, having seen him nearly pull Sivos pants down on halftime this wk. Also, with Whitey and Rapa on the right, maybe we actually go that way once or twice. At worst, at least we have added a "battering ram" winger to that side of the field, coz, ATM that's all our right side does, and they aren't built for it.

Id leave Kris on the bench for Starling. With Kris, Havili and 2 middles, we now have ample cover and the greatest balance, as we have cover for backs, hooker, half via Whitey (Kris or Huddo edge) or Hodgo (Liva to 9), middle or edge (Kris or Huddo).

Give this new setup a wk to see if it works. If not, Kris comes in for Scott or Simmo next wk.
valemei94
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Semi Valemei

Post by valemei94 »

1. Aekins
2.Valemei
3. Timoko
4. Kris
5. Hopoate
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalli
9. Hodgo
10. James
11. Young
12. Whitehead
13.Tapine
14. Starling
15. CHN
16. Sutton
17. Guler

18th Man : Scott
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

We have been very mediocre. Low energy; low commitment in defence; rubbish timing; haphazard attack; looking old, out enthused and just thinking we can just do what we’ve always done and it will happen for us.

That said, we generally have classy players who are in bad form. Some need a stint out of the team to break the complacency and mediocrity and we need the energy of the guys coming in.

Let’s not wet the bed though. It’s round 6 and we are 50%. Let’s hope last Saturday night is the kick in the ass this team needed to get going this season.

It only takes a week or two to turn things around this season it seems, look at Manly, Saints and Cowboys.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Rickmando wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:30 pm 1 Aekins
2 Valemei
3 Timoko
4 Kris
5 Rapana
6 Wighton
7 Williams
8 Papalii
9 Starling
10 James
11 Young
12 CHN
13 Sutton

Bench:
Havili
Guler
Whitehead
Lui

Send a **** message Stick, maybe park the “mateship” for a week and pick a side hungry to go to Townsville and get the 2 (suddenly very important) competition points
This is pretty much the team I would pick and was going to suggest similar but I suspect he will keep Croker and we won’t see Timoko, Hodgson might come of the bench and horse instead of lui or hodgo keeps his spot and starling is dropped. Simo might stay too.

Lots of teams here still have Scott which is bizarre, he was awful on the weekend. I think he will be the first one to go.

At the very least Kris, CHN and Horse need to be in there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Matt wrote:Straight off the bat, I reckon Ricky is stubborn as always. So Kris IN, Starling OUT. With the potential for a prop rotation policy change only, meaning, maybe James returns for ??? Suttgod maybe, due to his recent workload.

CHN has be our best player in NSW Cup for 3 wks. Has 4 tries in that time too. He has to come in as well. As much as I love him, it would be at Sias expense. Not for lack of heart or desire, but looking a bit old, slow and ineffective.

1st thing Id wanna do, is split up Papa and Tapine. So 1 start, 1 bench. Keeps the go forward for 80mins.

This means I can move Young to lock and start CHN. Yes, I'm aware that Huddo has been one of our best players this yr, but, we need CHNs fire-power. And Huddo proved last yr how good he was as a lock too.

Because we are having issues with our right edge catching colds, Id move CHN to the strong left, like Fifita, Kikau, and we saw from Papali'i last night. I think this would actually make Croker more dangerous, because teams will have to watch for CHN, thus opening holes for him too. Whitehead can play bodyguard on the right, and because he can ball play, maybe that right edge sees some ball. This solves an issue we have had for at least 2 yrs.

Id seriously consider switching Rapa and Simmo too. Rapa is a right winger. He carries the ball in the wrong hand for the left, and looks lost at times. He is also an aging player who seems to forget he has lost a yard of pace when white line fever gets him. This isn't Simmos issue, having seen him nearly pull Sivos pants down on halftime this wk. Also, with Whitey and Rapa on the right, maybe we actually go that way once or twice. At worst, at least we have added a "battering ram" winger to that side of the field, coz, ATM that's all our right side does, and they aren't built for it.

Id leave Kris on the bench for Starling. With Kris, Havili and 2 middles, we now have ample cover and the greatest balance, as we have cover for backs, hooker, half via Whitey (Kris or Huddo edge) or Hodgo (Liva to 9), middle or edge (Kris or Huddo).

Give this new setup a wk to see if it works. If not, Kris comes in for Scott or Simmo next wk.
You realise most normal people just list their 1 to 17 without writing a rambling essay about it?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Did you guys see that Xavier Savage try going around in Facebook? Jesus Christ he is quick :shock:....Cant wait until he is ready
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

There is some merit to bringing in CHN and putting him on the left - he is much more comfortable there, and Wighton will help him defensively.

1. Aekins
2. Rapana
3. Croker
4. Kris
5. Simonnson
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
14. Starling
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Young

9. Hodgson
15. Horsburgh
16. Guler
17. James

18. Scott

Backline injuries should be covered by CHN moving into centre if need be. Hodgson to come in after half an hour or so, he will have greater impact in fewer minutes and teams are getting cheap metres targeting him in defence (his point of impact is around the chest far too often, which means post contact metres). Sutton to rest, huge minutes and workload last few weeks.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

2020 Rd 7 V Cowboys: Teams and Previews

Post by LastRaider »

Stuart will make one change. Kris in for Starling. He wants the team to shove it in our faces against the cowboys

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

LastRaider wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:17 am Stuart will make one change. Kris in for Starling. He wants the team to shove it in our faces against the cowboys

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
I reckon you are wrong
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: April 18, 2021, 9:58 pm Straight off the bat, I reckon Ricky is stubborn as always. So Kris IN, Starling OUT. With the potential for a prop rotation policy change only, meaning, maybe James returns for ??? Suttgod maybe, due to his recent workload.

Pretty solid suggestion. Seems too radical for Ricky. Between Whitehead, Rapana and George you'd have 3 players with what I'd consider quite high awareness and skill level for ad lib ball movement and off the cuff decisions. Could work well together.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I really don’t know what the answers are. But the general consensus to just blindly drop Simonsson is really starting to irk me. He’s not the most hard working winger but his one hit up a set is generally the best of any outside back in the team (besides what Kris has produced). He’s been very good under the high ball, he’s the quickest outside back as seen by his kick chase on the weekend and he’s literally been afforded one attacking opportunity in 6 games. And that chance saw a really sensational attacking play.

I’ll always love Rapana but I’d bet that Simo would have scored at least half of those half chances that Rapana hasn’t. They’re on the wrong side and that’s infuriating. All the comparisons to other wingers in the competition are pretty unfair. They’d all be criticized playing for us as our halfback and fullback are generally incapable of creating attacking opportunities on the right side of the field.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Horsburgh has been just ok for mine. But I agree with your point that he will bring a bit of aggression and should be in consideration. I heard someone say he should be in ahead of Guler. I totally disagree about that, Guler is a gun and he showed that on Saturday. It was probably only Sutton and Aekins who could be considered to have had a better game.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Raiders666 wrote: April 19, 2021, 6:25 am Did you guys see that Xavier Savage try going around in Facebook? Jesus Christ he is quick :shock:....Cant wait until he is ready
The team we are bringing through is designed to play modern football. The reason we won reserves on Saturday was that Adrian Trevilyan came on and played his best footy at that level - quick play the balls and scooting off the mark. I am not suggesting for a second that Trevilyan is ready for first grade, he is not allowed to play as he is not top 30 anyway, but what I saw on Saturday night is how I want him to play all the time.

Reed Mahoney showed on Saturday night how to play hooker in the modern game.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

LastRaider wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:17 am Stuart will make one change. Kris in for Starling. He wants the team to shove it in our faces against the cowboys
Yep. And Cowboys being the garbage they are, we will do just that. And the old boys will go around again vs Souths. It's hard not to see it playing out like that, very very short odds. Let's see though.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think we'll get the chocolates against the Cowboys, but I'll also bet our defence will be well off the mark again. We'll probably need to win about 42-34, so hopefully our attack is able to fire.

Otherwise we're staring down the barrel of another 30-10 defeat.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

I'd say if we score more points we will win, but if they allow more points than they score we will win.

It's a game of two halves afterall and one that will be won on the bell by the best team on the park.

It'll be a close contest until it isn't and the result will determine who was the better on the day.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

The team I would like to see based on form:

1. Caleb Aikens
2. Semi Valemi
3. Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Elliot whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom starling
15. Ryan James
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Emre Guler/Corey Horsborgh
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Lucy wrote: April 19, 2021, 9:46 am I'd say if we score more points we will win, but if they allow more points than they score we will win.

It's a game of two halves afterall and one that will be won on the bell by the best team on the park.

It'll be a close contest until it isn't and the result will determine who was the better on the day.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Scarily, still more insight than Anasta and Blocker give.

Vossy: “Let’s go down to Blocker Roach on the sideline. Blocker how do you see the match shaping up so far?”

Blocker: “They’ve just got to bash them”

Vossy: “Thanks Blocker”
Last edited by Finite on April 19, 2021, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: April 19, 2021, 9:59 am The team I would like to see based on form:

1. Caleb Aikens
2. Semi Valemi
3. Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papali
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. CHN
12. Elliot whitehead
13. Hudson Young

14. Tom starling
15. Ryan James
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Emre Guler/Corey Horsborgh
I have to say I quite like that team.

I also have to say, there's no **** chance we'll see a team remotely resembling that.