Canberra Raiders fume over $10,000 fine for trainer

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2021 Rd 5 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Crichton is an arrogant !@#$ who pulled Tapine into the huddle. Penrith is a very unlikeable team the way they carry on. Kikau is dirty, and Cleary - both father and son are very unlikeable. Ivan is the modern version of Brian Smith
greeneyed
Don Furner

Canberra Raiders fume over $10,000 fine for trainer

Post by greeneyed »

"There’s 12-year olds that behave better than that": Penrith Panthers' arrogance in the clash with the Canberra Raiders slammed after Tapine incident

A group of young Panthers have come under fire for their “cockiness” and “arrogance” in their win over the Raiders last Friday. Paul Crawley called out the group for lacking “class and respect” and revealed it was a sentiment shared by many across the game.

“There was a cockiness and an arrogance and against the Raiders on the weekend I thought it spilt over and it crossed the line of what’s acceptable,” Crawley told NRL 360.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ad59a1a202
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Thank you Paul Crawley. And the Panthers had the hide to go public in the media complaining about one of our trainers! Our trainer didn't do the right thing... but talk about provocation. Crichton received a slap on the wrist and it should have been treated more seriously.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: April 12, 2021, 12:53 pm I think referees give too much benefit to teams with momentum though. You shouldn't be entitled to a quicker play the ball than usual, just because you have momentum. And conversely, you shouldn't have to cop slowers ones when you don't. All else being equal
Just on this point, IMO NRL have made their position on it clear, and this started a long time ago with the dominant tackle thing, but it's clear to me how the NRL sees this and how they're instructing the referees to officiate it. It's evident in the games week in and week out and the rules they're putting into place around the game.

The NRL doesnt agree with this statement at all. It seems to me they believe if the attacking team has the momentum, they are entitled to a quicker player the ball than usual.
And that's how it's officiated. We could all agree or disagree with them on that, but at the end of the day we've got to play by the rules we're given.
This has been this way for decades so it's got nothing really to do with the new interpretation. If someone makes a break and is tackled by the fullback and he holds down for too long they often get sinbinned.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 13, 2021, 10:53 pm Thank you Paul Crawley. And the Panthers had the hide to go public in the media complaining about one of our trainers! Our trainer didn't do the right thing... but talk about provocation. Crichton received a slap on the wrist and it should have been treated more seriously.
What came of that? I saw it reported it was being investigated but nothing since. Did i miss the conclusion of that?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: April 13, 2021, 10:40 pm "There’s 12-year olds that behave better than that": Penrith Panthers' arrogance in the clash with the Canberra Raiders slammed after Tapine incident

A group of young Panthers have come under fire for their “cockiness” and “arrogance” in their win over the Raiders last Friday. Paul Crawley called out the group for lacking “class and respect” and revealed it was a sentiment shared by many across the game.

“There was a cockiness and an arrogance and against the Raiders on the weekend I thought it spilt over and it crossed the line of what’s acceptable,” Crawley told NRL 360.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... ad59a1a202
I made the comment in this thread during the game. Panthers are bad winners. The way some of them carry on is unnecessary and lacking class.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I would have been happy to see Tapine lay Crichton out... Im not sure I've ever seen a team be so cocky.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 14, 2021, 8:32 am I made the comment in this thread during the game. Panthers are bad winners. The way some of them carry on is unnecessary and lacking class.
Im personally the type to not give much of a **** about that sort of thing, to me if you want to stop them carrying on, beat them.

And to be clear, i still dont give much of a ****, but i can absolutely see why people like the way they conduct themselves, they are definitely bad winners. Personally i were the coach, i would be reigning that in given how quickly the Storm humbled them on the big day (and that scoreline is so god damn flattering)

But that's there business. Will make for good times if they choke again :D :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: April 14, 2021, 8:41 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 14, 2021, 8:32 am I made the comment in this thread during the game. Panthers are bad winners. The way some of them carry on is unnecessary and lacking class.
Im personally the type to not give much of a **** about that sort of thing, to me if you want to stop them carrying on, beat them.

And to be clear, i still dont give much of a ****, but i can absolutely see why people like the way they conduct themselves, they are definitely bad winners. Personally i were the coach, i would be reigning that in given how quickly the Storm humbled them on the big day (and that scoreline is so god damn flattering)

But that's there business. Will make for good times if they choke again :D :lol:
These guys are in the spotlight and there thousands of junior players watching this happen. Sets a really bad example. You're right that the coach should be reigning it in. Not sure Cleary is that kind of guy.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

Botman wrote: April 14, 2021, 8:41 am

I have pointed this out before but Jerome Luai had a little lash out with his leg towards Angus Crichton during the final series last year. It was just grubby nonsense during a try. So nothing that should have attracted a penalty or anything. He was just acting like a clod.

From that point in the game though Angus Crichton turned into a demon and almost brought the Roosters over the top of the Panthers. The Panthers were easily in control until that point. It almost cost them the game. Some players you just dont wind up. Obviously Angus Crichton is one of them. It would be pretty funny if they do something like this in a grand final and the team is 2 points better than the roosters were on that night
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah, poking the bear is not always a good thing :lol:

Hopefully if we play them in the finals, one of them decides to give big Papa a poke
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I believe it was Angus who did exactly that to Papa when we beat the roosters one year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

zim wrote: April 14, 2021, 11:57 am I believe it was Angus who did exactly that to Papa when we beat the roosters one year.
Silly, silly man. :lol:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Raiders fined $10k for the trainer being in the scuffle Crichton instigated?! What a load of crap

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Sid wrote: April 14, 2021, 6:49 pm Raiders fined $10k for the trainer being in the scuffle Crichton instigated?! What a load of crap

Where are you getting that info?
Vaccinated
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

cat wrote: April 14, 2021, 6:53 pm
Sid wrote: April 14, 2021, 6:49 pm Raiders fined $10k for the trainer being in the scuffle Crichton instigated?! What a load of crap

Nrl 360
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Wow Don Furner goes whack...
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Raiders666 wrote: April 14, 2021, 6:55 pm
cat wrote: April 14, 2021, 6:53 pm

Nrl 360
And panthers covid breach?
Vaccinated
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Watching the replay the trainer tried to get out of the way and lightly out his hand on a Panthers players shoulder. What a joke
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Hey GE...Have you got Don Furners quote? He absolutely rips into Penrith
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders fume after being hit with $10,000 fine over trainer's involvement in sideline scuffle, while Penrith Panthers instigator Stephen Crichton fined just $1,350

The Raiders are furious after they were hit with a $10,000 fine for their trainer’s involvement in the scuffle between the Raiders and Panthers that saw Stephen Crichton fined just $1,350.

"Ivan Cleary should teach his players some humility. We all understand coaches stand up for their players, but him trying to justify that behaviour is ludicrous," Don Furner said. "He has three or four players in his team that carry on like mug lairs. Their five-eighth has been pushing players in the back and running in as the third man for a while now. I can’t believe that is the example the Panthers want to set for young kids watching and playing the game. If they think that behaviour is acceptable they are kidding themselves."

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7f86ab294c

NRL hit Canberra Raiders with $10k fine after Raiders physio put his hand on Tyrone May and then confronted prop James Fisher-Harris in sideline scuffle; Raiders have five business days to respond: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

10k fine for our trainer placing his hand lightly on the shoulder of a penrith player (which was mostly likely a means to steady and brace himself in case the fracas started headed his way) is objectively ridiculous

They should challenge that. If the player instigating the fracas by physically engaging a player not even in active play gets $1300, its impossible to reconcile 10k for that.

I understand that what they're trying to do, in that they want the punishment to be severe because they dont want trainers even thinking about involving themselves but our trainer did not involve himself at all. That is the definition of incidental contact. Common sense has been clearly missed on this front. This is a warning at best.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:10 pm 10k fine for our trainer placing his hand lightly on the shoulder of a penrith player (which was mostly likely a means to steady and brace himself in case the fracas started headed his way) is objectively ridiculous

They should challenge that. If the player instigating the fracas by physically engaging a player not even in active play gets $1300, its impossible to reconcile 10k for that.

I understand that what they're trying to do, in that they want the punishment to be severe because they dont want trainers even thinking about involving themselves but our trainer did not involve himself at all. That is the definition of incidental contact. Common sense has been clearly missed on this front. This is a warning at best.
It's completely ludicrous. If Crichton had been suspended as well as the $1350 fine... maybe that's fair. But the instigator of the incident receives one tenth of the penalty of the bloke who was just trying to stop the push and shove. Sure he did the wrong thing, but his intentions were good, unlike Stephen Crichton.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:16 pm
Botman wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:10 pm 10k fine for our trainer placing his hand lightly on the shoulder of a penrith player (which was mostly likely a means to steady and brace himself in case the fracas started headed his way) is objectively ridiculous

It's completely ludicrous. If Crichton had been suspended as well as the $1350 fine... maybe that's fair. But the instigator of the incident receives one tenth of the penalty of the bloke who was just trying to stop the push and shove. Sure he did the wrong thing, but his intentions were good, unlike Stephen Crichton.
I probably should have asked this first, facts are good before shooting from the hip :lol:
but was that clip above the entirity of his involvement?

Like did our trainer do anything else but touch the guys shoulder?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:19 pm
greeneyed wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:16 pm

I probably should have asked this first, facts are good before shooting from the hip :lol:
but was that clip above the entirity of his involvement?

Like did our trainer do anything else but touch the guys shoulder?
He touched two players... first the very light touch to a player's back... and then something more substantial, where he was trying to stop the fracas. But it was pretty minimal. I've included both clips from Fox League on Twitter above now.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I can understand the 10k fine for us. I'm sure it comes down to liability and if our trainer getting involved ended in an injury then there would be some liability.

The $1,300 for Crichton is a token gesture. It should have been a one match suspension.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Right ok, that would make more sense then.
I might have to retract that previous comment until seeing the full footage then. :lol:
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

10k Fine For Canberra

Post by 1992 »

Have not seen this posted so apologies if it has.

We have been hit with a 10k fine for our trainer getting involved in the scuffle at Penrith.
Fair enough, but Steven Crichton getting $1350 for starting it all and putting the fans near by at risk is a joke.

Recent heated rivalries are Melbourne, Easts, and Penrith.
Geez..
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:22 pm Right ok, that would make more sense then.
I might have to retract that previous comment until seeing the full footage then. :lol:
No, your original response was appropriate.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Next game between the two should be interesting.

We should start this weekend by walking up to Parras bench after a try and starting ****. Have a cheque for $1300 prewritten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cat
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders fume over $10,000 fine for trainer

Post by cat »

And what's happening with the panthers covid breech?
It was supposed to be 1 person per 2 squared metres on the hills, that's not what was there Friday

How much would i love to see the broncos win tomorrow!
Vaccinated
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Absolutely ridiculous. I think we can all understand why the rule is there but what happened is far from the issue that the rule is trying to stop. It was almost impossible for the trainer to get out of the way.

Good on Don for firing up.

The players are big enough and ugly enough to fight their own battles most of the time, but when our back room people who don’t have a platform to defend themselves get attacked, good on our leader for taking a stand.
Last edited by Bay53 on April 14, 2021, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders fume over $10,000 fine for trainer

Post by Botman »

cat wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:56 pm How much would i love to see the broncos win tomorrow!
Firstly, no never the broncos. **** them forever.

Secondly, good **** luck. They'll be lucky to be within 40 of them :lol:
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Sorry to bring AFL into this thread but if you are going to get $10k for a hand on the back, you may as well go the whole hog.

Not sure if anything like this has happened in Rugby League but this is part of AFL folklore.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:22 pm I can understand the 10k fine for us. I'm sure it comes down to liability and if our trainer getting involved ended in an injury then there would be some liability.

The $1,300 for Crichton is a token gesture. It should have been a one match suspension.
I just went through the game replay on NRL.com to see it and really looking at all aspects of it.
I 100% agree with this position.