All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Re: Canberra Raiders fume over $10,000 fine for trainer

Post by Raider Azz »

hobbsy wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: April 16, 2021, 7:13 am
hobbsy wrote: April 16, 2021, 6:28 am I honestly do not get the hate for Luai at all. He just seems like a chilled out nice dude. Following his social media and it looks like a lot of Raiders players feel the same way.
Have you seen him play? He is a massive pest on the field.
Yeah he's a gun.

But honestly for me I take way more stock in how a player conducts themselves off the field when it comes to who I 'hate'. This is rugby league not golf, people being grubby or pests is pretty commonplace. There would be quite a few Raiders players people on here would have to hate as well if that was the only factor.
Fair enough if that's how you feel, but don't be shocked that a guy carrying on like he does on the field attracts plenty of hate.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Luai is the new Thaiday - third man in

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Raider Azz wrote: April 16, 2021, 8:30 am
hobbsy wrote:
Raider Azz wrote: April 16, 2021, 7:13 am
hobbsy wrote: April 16, 2021, 6:28 am I honestly do not get the hate for Luai at all. He just seems like a chilled out nice dude. Following his social media and it looks like a lot of Raiders players feel the same way.
Have you seen him play? He is a massive pest on the field.
Yeah he's a gun.

But honestly for me I take way more stock in how a player conducts themselves off the field when it comes to who I 'hate'. This is rugby league not golf, people being grubby or pests is pretty commonplace. There would be quite a few Raiders players people on here would have to hate as well if that was the only factor.
Fair enough if that's how you feel, but don't be shocked that a guy carrying on like he does on the field attracts plenty of hate.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
I suppose I shouldn't be, but it definitely comes across as salty when its only the good players who have beaten us that are attracting it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 16, 2021, 8:29 am
The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2021, 6:24 am Hahahaha no chance, cat.

Mickey, your application is under review and you should get a formal response within the next 24-48 hours.
Hang on. When my application went in I was told 20 business days. :x
It's still being processed. Be patient, ****.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2021, 8:50 am

Mickey, your application is under review and you should get a formal response within the next 24-48 hours.
But I lodged it last July. :(
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 16, 2021, 9:20 am

Give it a couple more weeks.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2021, 9:28 am

Should I check back in or wait to be contacted?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 16, 2021, 9:30 am
Just wait near the mailbox.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2021, 9:31 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 16, 2021, 9:30 am
Just wait near the mailbox.
THanks mate. Will do. :thumbsup
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

hobbsy wrote:I honestly do not get the hate for Luai at all. He just seems like a chilled out nice dude. Following his social media and it looks like a lot of Raiders players feel the same way.
Pettiness.

That's all it is.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Lucy wrote: April 15, 2021, 7:41 pm They have lost one game in 20 weeks and that was a grand
That last point is important and one worth remembering, but mostly one worth reminding all the Penrith fans in your life

As I do
They’ve lost one game in nearly a calendar year of footy and it was the the most important one, and really the one that counts most :roflmao
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Yeah, the whinging about the handshake celebration personifies our fan base tbh

Bunch of whingers

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on NRL to stamp out melees

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says melees are a blight on the game and it is time that the NRL did something about it.

In last Friday night's game between Penrith and Canberra, a melee broke out on the sideline, after fullback Stephen Crichton tried to drag Raiders lock Joe Tapine into a Panthers try celebration. Tapine was simply standing on the sideline waiting to be injected into the match at the time.

Crichton was fined $1350 over the incident by the NRL, while the Raiders have received notice of a $10,000 because of the incidental involvement of a Raiders trainer in the melee. The trainer touched two Panthers players, Tyrone May and James Fisher-Harris, which is contrary to NRL rules.

The arrogant behaviour of the Panthers attracted considerable media criticism this week, but Penrith coach Ivan Cleary says he does not see any problem and called the media reaction "a storm in a tea cup".

"I’m just a bit confused as to what’s the problem. I don’t really know," Cleary said earlier this week.

The response of Raiders CEO Don Furner to that was scathing.

"Ivan Cleary should teach his players some humility. We all understand coaches stand up for their players, but him trying to justify that behaviour is ludicrous," Furner said.

"He has three or four players in his team that carry on like mug lairs. Their five-eighth has been pushing players in the back and running in as the third man for a while now."

"I can’t believe that is the example the Panthers want to set for young kids watching and playing the game. If they think that behaviour is acceptable they are kidding themselves."

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart today backed Furner's comments.

"I think Don handled it very well. He covered it off really well during the week," Stuart said.

"I think it was unnecessary and I thought silly. I think that this jumper pulling and grabbing blokes by the back of the jumper and trying to pull them out of melees is a blight on the game."

"It's ugly. It makes soft people very tough, because you know you're not going to get a punch in the head. There's no consequences."

"You've got guys who are not that courageous acting very tough going into a melee now knowing the fact he's not going to get a punch in the mouth, which is why so many people fly into it."

"I laughed watching it... when our physio got pushed out of the way, Jack Wighton came into the melee then to sort it out and settle it all down."

"A lot of egos that were in that melee were deflated very quickly. It soon quitened it down."

"You don't find tough kids walking into these melees and pulling and pushing jumpers. If you're a good pusher now, you're tough apparently."

"It's a blight on our game. I just wish the league could do something about it and eradicate it. It was only four or five years ago that I was saying it was ugly in Aussie Rules and now we've got it."

Stuart says he was very proud of the way Tapine responded. Tapine did not lash out and simply tried to extricate himself from the group of Panthers players who descended upon him.

"I was very proud of how Joe Tapine handled that," Stuart said.

"One on one, I know whose side I'd like to be on in an altercation there."

"The amount of work that's gone into Joe with controlling his aggression and controlling his emotions... I was very proud of him how he handled that moment because it could have been very ugly."

"I'm not sure I could have handled it the same way Joe did."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart says melees are a blight on the game: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ve-niggle/

VIDEO: Stuart stands by Raiders over Panthers melee: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/16/stu ... ers-melee/
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

-TW- wrote: April 16, 2021, 12:35 pm Yeah, the whinging about the handshake celebration personifies our fan base tbh

Bunch of whingers

If you and Nickman honestly don't think that other fanbases whinge and whine with their obvious biases then you have your head in the sand.

It really is quite mild tbh. Especially when one or two comments somehow manage to epitomise a whole fan base according to the likes of Nickman.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Noone is that naive.

But the fact people are still blowing up about this a week later, and are whinging about actions in ANOTHER game shows how sooky this fan base is

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

-TW- wrote: April 16, 2021, 1:50 pm Noone is that naive.

But the fact people are still blowing up about this a week later, and are whinging about actions in ANOTHER game shows how sooky this fan base is

A lot of this 'sookiness' has originated from the likes of Paul Kent, James Hooper, Crawley making a big deal of it in the media. Or journalists poking the bear for comments from players. I think questioning the 10k fine is pretty acceptable too.

Most of what I see on the GH is just people calling Panthers arrogant and infuriating. Hardly call it sooking. Why does making note of a team for their persona automatically translate to sookiness? Why does questioning anything automatically make you a sook?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider47 wrote: April 16, 2021, 2:19 pm Most of what I see on the GH is just people calling Panthers arrogant and infuriating. Hardly call it sooking. Why does making note of a team for their persona automatically translate to sookiness? Why does questioning anything automatically make you a sook?
It doesn't. Ricky Stuart's still talking about it today... understandably, as it is the first time he's faced the media since the NRL issued the club with an unjustified $10000 fine... for an incident started by the Panthers. I dare say no one would call Ricky Stuart a sook... It's simply people supporting their club, given that others are treating our club poorly.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raider47 wrote:

A lot of this 'sookiness' has originated from the likes of Paul Kent, James Hooper, Crawley making a big deal of it in the media. Or journalists poking the bear for comments from players. I think questioning the 10k fine is pretty acceptable too.

Most of what I see on the GH is just people calling Panthers arrogant and infuriating. Hardly call it sooking. Why does making note of a team for their persona automatically translate to sookiness? Why does questioning anything automatically make you a sook?
Never mentioned questioning the decision at all. Calling Penrith players "dicks" cause of their try celebration, is what I am referring to.

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

-TW- wrote: April 16, 2021, 2:52 pm
Raider47 wrote:

Never mentioned questioning the decision at all. Calling Penrith players "dicks" cause of their try celebration, is what I am referring to.

I called them smug wankers once when presented with stimulus indicating such and then proceeded to not give them a second thought for the rest of my day and indeed week.

Does that meet the TW sookiness threshold? Seems pretty passive to me
Up The Milk
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raider47 wrote: April 16, 2021, 1:39 pm
-TW- wrote: April 16, 2021, 12:35 pm Yeah, the whinging about the handshake celebration personifies our fan base tbh

Bunch of whingers

If you and Nickman honestly don't think that other fanbases whinge and whine with their obvious biases then you have your head in the sand.

It really is quite mild tbh. Especially when one or two comments somehow manage to epitomise a whole fan base according to the likes of Nickman.
Boy, there's a lot being said in this post that was never actually said by me or Timmy!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Mickey_Raider wrote:
Raider47 wrote:

I called them smug wankers once when presented with stimulus indicating such and then proceeded to not give them a second thought for the rest of my day and indeed week.

Does that meet the TW sookiness threshold? Seems pretty passive to me
Smug is fair, and it's an observation, not a judgement

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raider47 wrote:

Whoever said that was spot on! Because the Panthers were carrying on last night about it! That's not whinging. That's simply fair and reasonable observation about what was happening.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
Raider47 wrote:

Whoever said that was spot on! Because the Panthers were carrying on last night about it! That's not whinging. That's simply fair and reasonable observation about what was happening.
Nah, that's whinging

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I haven't cried since I was doing long division and I had a remainder left over.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: April 16, 2021, 3:54 pm I haven't cried since I was doing long division and I had a remainder left over.
You also cried when you scraped your knee and they were out of chocolate milk.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Lime milk*
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

So you did not see when he stomped on someone's head?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

We've now gotten to imaginary head stomping levels of salty bitterness.

This forum is all lols.

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

It wasn't Wighton entering the fray that broke it up, it was Papa.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: April 16, 2021, 3:54 pm
greeneyed wrote:
Raider47 wrote:

Nah, that's whinging

I'm sure that person could have used that term interchangably with the one Don Furner used... "mug lairs"... and endorsed by Ricky Stuart today. I'm sure they'd be happy to stand by Don and Ricky on it.

I don't see the persistent need of some posters to keep telling others that they have to support the team in the way they would like. Sure, meet the standards of the site, but I do not understand why some posters insist on telling others "how to fan".

And for someone who doesn't seem to like "whinging", you seem to do a lot of whinging about what you see as the whinging.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Melees making 'soft' people look tough: Ricky Stuart

In an unveiled swipe at the Penrith Panthers, Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says melees are a blight on the game that are making soft people look tough because they know they're not going to get a punch in the mouth.

The Raiders were issued with a breach notice for $10,000 after their physiotherapist touched two Penrith players during the melee - despite multiple cases of trainers and physios touching players involved in melees going unpunished this season already.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart calls on NRL to stamp out melees: viewtopic.php?p=1788323#p1788323

‘Makes soft people very tough’: Ricky Stuart condemns ‘ugly’ NRL trend: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-2608579

No biff could ironically bring back the biff to the NRL: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

greeneyed wrote: April 16, 2021, 5:14 pm
The Raiders were issued with a breach notice for $10,000 after their physiotherapist touched two Penrith players during the melee - despite multiple cases of trainers and physios touching players involved in melees going unpunished this season already.
I'm looking forward to hearing more about this...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
Raider47 wrote: A lot of this 'sookiness' has originated from the likes of Paul Kent, James Hooper, Crawley making a big deal of it in the media. Or journalists poking the bear for comments from players. I think questioning the 10k fine is pretty acceptable too.

Nah, that's whinging

I'm sure that person could have used that term interchangably with the one Don Furner used... "mug lairs"... and endorsed by Ricky Stuart today. I'm sure they'd be happy to stand by Don and Ricky on it.

I don't see the persistent need of some posters to keep telling others that they have to support the team in the way they would like. Sure, meet the standards of the site, but I do not understand why some posters insist on telling others "how to fan".

And for someone who doesn't seem to like "whinging", you seem to do a lot of whinging about what you see as the whinging.
Keep yelling into the sooky echo chamber, pal

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Lucy wrote: April 16, 2021, 4:50 pm We've now gotten to imaginary head stomping levels of salty bitterness.

This forum is all lols.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coupler ... 1c5d618477
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

-TW- wrote: April 16, 2021, 5:29 pm
greeneyed wrote:
greeneyed wrote:
-TW- wrote: April 16, 2021, 2:52 pm Never mentioned questioning the decision at all. Calling Penrith players "dicks" cause of their try celebration, is what I am referring to.

Nah, that's whinging

Keep yelling into the sooky echo chamber, pal

Dude you’re sooking about GE sooking.

Raiders fans I swear they’re just the worst I tells ya!
Up The Milk