14%

Total votes: 14

tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: 2021 Rd 6 V Eels: Game Day

Post by tommyhud9 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:01 pm
radicalraider wrote: April 17, 2021, 9:58 pm Ricky blaming "individuals" rather than himself. Hmmm who are these individuals?
He always blames others. Like the ref in the 2008 World Cup game when Aust lost.

He should look at this team selections and tactics.

If you select old men, reserve graders, and underperformers who never contribute, then you are to blame Stuart.
He literally blamed himself. Do people post on here without any facts or evidence?
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Raider Azz wrote: April 17, 2021, 11:31 pm
radicalraider wrote:
gergreg wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:58 pm Sounded like Ricky has nearly had enough and will change things up. That's one positive, but I think we need more than just swapping jerseys. Our attitude across the park hasn't really been where it needs to be.

We are notoriously slow starters so there is that, but our structure and style is pretty ordinary too. We don't look threatening enough and why isn't Wighton running the ball. Last year I thought he was a bit of a ball hog, but he played so well you can excuse it. This year he isn't backing himself enough and just putting it through the hands to Rapana isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Wighton isn't a 6. He's being played in a position which demands a level of skill which he isn't gifted with and is resulting in him making errors every game which in turn is affecting his confidence. He needs to be moved to the centres Asap.
He won a Clive Churhill and a Dally M playing five eighth you melon

He's not playing the best atm, but to suggest he isn't a 6 is legitimately insane

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Here we go another Dally m deluded clown
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

tommyhud9 wrote: April 17, 2021, 11:36 pm
radicalraider wrote: April 17, 2021, 9:58 pm Ricky blaming "individuals" rather than himself. Hmmm who are these individuals?
He always blames others. Like the ref in the 2008 World Cup game when Aust lost.

If you select old men, reserve graders, and underperformers who never contribute, then you are to blame Stuart.
He literally blamed himself. Do people post on here without any facts or evidence?
He didn't say I take responsibility for the loss like a proper coach would. He turned it on individuals. Dogmatic coach!
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

Pretty sad performance tonight, however there is a part of me that is happy that it has happened, as some of our wins were papering over the major dramas within our team.

Reality is, we have quickly become a team that is too old. Our grinding, defensive style is not going to cut it given the current rules in the NRL, and the past two weeks has shown that our D isn't even that solid anyway.

Croker has been my favourite player for a decade, but sadly its really hard to make a case for him to be picked on Tuesday. The modern day centre has strength, power and pace. Crichton, Olam, Gagai, Best etc. all possess this, while unfortunately Jarrod has lost his speed and doesn't have any fear factor. Curtis Scott is also seemingly ineffectual, but perhaps there is some improvement to come.

Simonsson really has shown nothing in his 5 games this year also, time to give Valemei another go.

In the forwards I think it is obvious that Soliola's days are numbered. He has been so vital to our culture being what it is today, however his on field output just isn't up to scratch anymore. I saw a video during the week about his role within the club after his footy days are done, and that seems to be good timing.

Perhaps the most alarming problem I saw tonight was the overplaying by Josh Hodgson. He was having far too many touches when we were deep on the attack, while our Dally M winning 5/8 hardly got his hands on the ball. This makes no sense to me and clearly isn't working giving our current points for total.

Starling is also being under-utilised. He has pace that we sorely lack across the park.

Given Ricky's disgust at our effort in the post match presser, I am banking on changes on Tuesday, maybe some emphatic ones. They're needed.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Wighton 13.
S.williams/frawley 6.
Kris 3.
Tapine 12.
10. Sutton
14. CHN
15. Guler
16. horsborough
17. James
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

tommyhud9 wrote: April 17, 2021, 11:36 pm

He said the players should look in the mirror, not him. He only blamed himself for not selecting Kris on the bench for Starling but the team has a lot more deficiencies than that. We should have taken Parra up the middle, isolate Mahoney, Smith and Moses, and played like St George. It's ironic that we need to follow the example now of a team that has underperformed for several years. Anyway, I like your post below and agree with it.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Got tired of watching Ricky’s pressers...
His words mean nothing, his actions (or lack thereof) say everything you need to hear.

Rapana was a bandaid for 2020, and now somehow after giving a bunch of younger guys a go last season, is a first choice ahead of all of them...

Everyone could see he is washed as a winger.

Crokers physical deterioration has been evident for a few years...yet he’s still here. Even ahead of a younger and more physically dominant Kris...

And SIA ...I mean what can i say? He should be in a club/coaching role.

The big problem we have in 2021 is that there a few more now who look like they are on the decline...Hodgson, Whitehead...

Oh well... unlike Penrith who were a young team in 2020 when losing the GF....and look certain to get another crack....we were older in 2019....and have looked worse in the following years..

Unfortunate that we haven’t been able to regenerate enough young talent in the backline to keep things going...

Instead we invested in another middle forward ...
Last edited by GreenMachine on April 18, 2021, 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

The best thing that happened to us last year was losing Hodgson. He’s been a great hooker for this club, but he’s done. He’s a ball hog that overplays his hand constantly. Stop running then passing, just pass it. Give the ball to the halves early. Stop playing crash ball. Stop doing the worst crappy kicks I’ve ever seen straight to the fullback on tackle 2, when we’re right on the opposition goal line. Let Starling play 80. That’s when we turned a corner last year.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

GreenMachine wrote: April 17, 2021, 11:58 pm Got tired of watching Ricky’s pressers...
His words mean nothing, his actions )or lack thereof) say everything you need to hear.

Rapana was a bandaid for 2020, and now somehow after giving a bunch of younger guys a go last season, is a first choice ahead of all of them...

Everyone could see he is washed as a winger.

Crokers physical deterioration has been evident for a few years...yet he’s still here. Even ahead of a younger and more physically dominant Kris...

And SIA ...I mean what can i say? He should be in a club/coaching role.

The big problem we have in 2021 is that there a few more now who look like they are on the decline...Hodgson, Whitehead...

Oh well... unlike Penrith who were a young team in 2020 when losing the GF....and look certain to get another crack....we were older in 2019....and have looked worse in the following years..

Unfortunate that we haven’t been able to regenerate enough young talent in the backline to keep things going...

Instead we invested in another middle forward ...
Yup.. the game has passed half our team members where unfortunately most of our cap is spent..
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Finchy wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:02 am The best thing that happened to us last year was losing Hodgson. He’s been a great hooker for this club, but he’s done. He’s a ball hog that overplays his hand constantly. Stop running then passing, just pass it. Give the ball to the halves early. Stop playing crash ball. Stop doing the worst crappy kicks I’ve ever seen straight to the fullback on tackle 2, when we’re right on the opposition goal line. Let Starling play 80. That’s when we turned a corner last year.
You can tell others around him aren't happy either. He's dogmatic, arrogant and selfish
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think Hodgson could add a lot of value as a middle. I kind of thought that's where he would spend a lot of time this year, actually. Maybe we just have too many middles and Ricky tries to find a place for them all

It's hard to disagree re Ryan James, he's been good but he doesn't solve any problems, he solves a problem we didn't have
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

1. Aekins
2. Simmo
3. Kris
4. Cnk
5. semi
6. MILF
7. G W
8. PAPS
9. STARLING
10. SUTTON
11. YOUNG
12. TAPINE
13. WIGHTON
14. CHN
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. James
Jado639
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Jado639 »

Finchy wrote:The best thing that happened to us last year was losing Hodgson. He’s been a great hooker for this club, but he’s done. He’s a ball hog that overplays his hand constantly. Stop running then passing, just pass it. Give the ball to the halves early. Stop playing crash ball. Stop doing the worst crappy kicks I’ve ever seen straight to the fullback on tackle 2, when we’re right on the opposition goal line. Let Starling play 80. That’s when we turned a corner last year.
100%. Josh has been overplaying his hand making our attack disjointed. Our team lifts as soon as starling enters the game. He needs more minutes or to replace Josh all together.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Even prince phillip at his funeral is showing more life than the Raiders tonight ****

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Based on form.. I have us sitting 14th. Sharks and tigers lost it more than we won it. Nz beat us and vs titans we had miracle try savers. When we lose to Cowboys next week we'll be 15th on the form guide.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins

Post by tommyhud9 »

It is alarming when people think Anthony Milford in the halves is the answer for 2022.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Simmo has showed nothing since starting FG - two years ago. Croker has been hopeless for two years (probably more, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt), Sia should have retired, the jury is still out on Scott, Whitehead is on his last legs, Hodgson is messing with our rhythm and has poor defence, and we have an old, slow and unfit team. Above all, Stuart is a stubborn coach who does not move with the times and takes him 10-16 weeks to work things out. Look at 2017-8. Our attack has been nonsense for several years. Now our defence is poor.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

What I don't like about Stuart's coaching is he is quick to drop his non favourites like Dunamis Lui when we lose, but Croker, Sia, Whitehead, Hodgson will never be dropped no matter how their form are. We saw that in 2017-18 when Wighton was having shockers at fullback, Paulo was playing like a 5/8, Shannon Boyd was unfit, Sezer couldn't get a set restart to save his life, and Blake Austin couldn't tackle.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

If Ricky wants to do what's best for his team next week.
3. Timoko
4. Kris
9. Starling
12. CHN
14. Havili
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. James
8.papa (C)
drop Sia Croker hodgo whitehead Scott.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Where's our X Factor?
East's- ted
Storm- pap/munster
Pen - grub Luai
Eels - moses/gutho
South's - Mitchell/ walker
Dragons- dufty
Knights- ponga
How do we compete for top 4 seriously we're way off.. almost like the bulldogs spending half our cap on one dimensional forwards
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There are some comments are blatantly incorrect in this and other threads. The idea that Jarrod Croker has been out of form for two years is simply wrong. For a start, he was the club’s top try scorer in 2019, a year the Raiders played a Grand Final. Seriously, if you’re going to make critical comments be factual.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

tommyhud9 wrote: April 17, 2021, 11:47 pm Pretty sad performance tonight, however there is a part of me that is happy that it has happened, as some of our wins were papering over the major dramas within our team.

Reality is, we have quickly become a team that is too old. Our grinding, defensive style is not going to cut it given the current rules in the NRL, and the past two weeks has shown that our D isn't even that solid anyway.

Croker has been my favourite player for a decade, but sadly its really hard to make a case for him to be picked on Tuesday. The modern day centre has strength, power and pace. Crichton, Olam, Gagai, Best etc. all possess this, while unfortunately Jarrod has lost his speed and doesn't have any fear factor. Curtis Scott is also seemingly ineffectual, but perhaps there is some improvement to come.

Simonsson really has shown nothing in his 5 games this year also, time to give Valemei another go.

In the forwards I think it is obvious that Soliola's days are numbered. He has been so vital to our culture being what it is today, however his on field output just isn't up to scratch anymore. I saw a video during the week about his role within the club after his footy days are done, and that seems to be good timing.

Perhaps the most alarming problem I saw tonight was the overplaying by Josh Hodgson. He was having far too many touches when we were deep on the attack, while our Dally M winning 5/8 hardly got his hands on the ball. This makes no sense to me and clearly isn't working giving our current points for total.

Starling is also being under-utilised. He has pace that we sorely lack across the park.

Given Ricky's disgust at our effort in the post match presser, I am banking on changes on Tuesday, maybe some emphatic ones. They're needed.
Exactly ... I agree on ever single point. I was thinking the same thing like Hodgo too many touches. Our attack looks void of ideas. Seb Kriss has been one of our best. Drop Scott or B Simm for Kriss.
I would like to see Starling start at hooker but Stuart won’t drop or bench Croker or Hodgo.
I was super impressed with Caleb.
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

radicalraider wrote: April 18, 2021, 1:01 am If Ricky wants to do what's best for his team next week.
3. Timoko
4. Kris
9. Starling
12. CHN
14. Havili
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. James
8.papa (C)
drop Sia Croker hodgo whitehead Scott.
I agree but Stuart won’t drop or bench those guys. Which sucks
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

It’s hard to drive an ‘accountability culture’ when you have your “Cadbury’s Favourites’ selected in the team, no matter how obviously poor they have been.

Before this game I was thinking this season could break either way for us, depending on whether Ricky has what it takes to make the crucial calls around selections.

Quite seriously happy to burn this season if it means we regenerate the backline; clear out our excess forwards (find some cap room for some X factor or threat out wide) and come to a decision around Hodgsons influence around the ruck.

It would at the very least, make the season, ‘worth it’.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote: April 18, 2021, 1:28 am There are some comments are blatantly incorrect in this and other threads. The idea that Jarrod Croker has been out of form for two years is simply wrong. For a start, he was the club’s top try scorer in 2019, a year the Raiders played a Grand Final. Seriously, if you’re going to make critical comments be factual.
Haha. Factual!? People on here are being hysterical! I get why people are hurting. I'm hurting just as bad as others. Where is our X factor people ask? How about the daily m player of last year. Our attack is trash people say and it Stuart's fault, well in 2016, 17 and 18 we had just about the best attack in the comp only to miss out of the finals 2 out of those 3 years. We then make a conscious effort to improve our defence and make the gf and prelim. Our defence is bang on to start the year, should of been 4 from 4 had we not lost 3 players in 15m against the warriors. We held out Panthers for 20m and should have been 12 nil up before CNK goes off and with him goes our defence. A hypothesis that many including myself have had for ages (take him out of the side and our defence will struggle). But people don't want to face facts. It's a long year I'm now resigned to missing the top 4 which basically means we won't win it this year. But provided CNK comes back soon and we keep other key players on the field Im sure this will be another successful year.
Last edited by FROG on April 18, 2021, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

GreenMachine wrote: April 17, 2021, 9:42 pm 1. Aekin
2.Valemei
3.Kris
4.Scott
5.Timoko
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalli
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Young

14. Sutton
15. Guler
16. Horse
17. Rapana
I like this ^^^ except Papa of the bench, James into the starting pack and Guler / CHN 18th man
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Finchy wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:02 am The best thing that happened to us last year was losing Hodgson. He’s been a great hooker for this club, but he’s done. He’s a ball hog that overplays his hand constantly. Stop running then passing, just pass it. Give the ball to the halves early. Stop playing crash ball. Stop doing the worst crappy kicks I’ve ever seen straight to the fullback on tackle 2, when we’re right on the opposition goal line. Let Starling play 80. That’s when we turned a corner last year.
It was like shooting Bambi when this was suggested last year, but it rang so true. For years we’ve looked sharper overall with Baptiste, and then Starling, coming on and distributing quick ball to our halves.

Hodgo’s occasional moments of brilliance don’t cancel out the rest of his efforts, for mine
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

radicalraider wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:12 am
You can tell others around him aren't happy either. He's dogmatic, arrogant and selfish
Maybe that’s why he’s the apple of Rick’s eye?? In the same mould as the super coach perhaps
Kryptonite
John Ferguson

Post by Kryptonite »

radicalraider wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:16 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:10 pm
GreenMachine wrote:If Ricky is genuine... then Croker, Whitehead, SIA, Rapana, simmonson and Havilli are all gone next week...

But it won’t happen..

We’ll get a sacrificial lamb (Scott) for Kris move...

Maybe.
He did jump aggressively at the changes question quickly. Doesn’t sound like he’s ready for a number of changes yet.
He will never drop Croker or Sia... good blokes you know
Our squad is chock full of “good blokes” herein lies the problem
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I've cancelled my Kayo subscription. Not wasting money on watching that bunch of plonkers.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson

Post by Kryptonite »

The window is officially closed
Ricky built a roster to perform in post Covid conditions / rules, and now the ageing roster, combined with Ricky’s pig headed pick and stick mentality has been exposed for what it is, tired, stale and without innovation or hope
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

FROG wrote:
greeneyed wrote: April 18, 2021, 1:28 am There are some comments are blatantly incorrect in this and other threads. The idea that Jarrod Croker has been out of form for two years is simply wrong. For a start, he was the club’s top try scorer in 2019, a year the Raiders played a Grand Final. Seriously, if you’re going to make critical comments be factual.
Haha. Factual!? People on here are being hysterical! I get why people are hurting. I'm hurting just as bad as others. Where is our X factor people ask? How about the daily m player of last year. Our attack is trash people say and it Stuart's fault, well in 2016, 17 and 18 we had just about the best attack in the comp only to miss out of the finals 2 out of those 3 years. We then make a conscious effort to improve our defence and make the gf and prelim. Our defence is bang on to start the year, should of been 4 from 4 had we not lost 3 players in 15m against the warriors. We held out Panthers for 20m and should have been 12 nil up before CNK goes off and with him goes our defence. A hypothesis that many including myself have had for ages (take him out of the side and our defence will struggle). But people don't want to face facts. It's a long year I'm now resigned to missing the top 4 which basically means we won't win it this year. But provided CNK comes back soon and we keep other key players on the field Im sure this will be another successful year.
There isn’t much facts in here, just wishful thinking

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Rickmando wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:41 pm People complaining about the cattle, or offering selection suggestions... it’s shuffling deck chairs on the titanic at this point. Our system sucks. It lacks innovation, it lacks organisation. Show me where on match day any evidence of coaching exists. (Bleeding green doesn’t count). And it’s been this way for many years.

Individual brilliance bailed us out in 2016 and 2019, and it gave us plenty of entertainment. But these issues have always been there with Rick, under the surface. He’s not an innovator and he can’t reinvent himself - just look at his coaching career as a whole. It’s bog ordinary. We are stuck with him for a long time thanks to the old boy connection
Excellent summation of our predicament!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I was very deflated after last night, which carried through to this morning. So glad I could log in here and witness a classic GH meltdown. I don't feel so bad now. :thumbsup
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
moto748
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: George Williams

Post by moto748 »

I just watched the game. And I don't think the score flattered the Eels, who were by far the better side, obviously a sobering thought for Raiders fans (although many of you had clearly feared it), as Parra are one of the top sides you hope to measure yourselves against. I read the last few pages, and would agree with many of the criticisms. Surely use Starling more. It struck em how when he came on, George seemed to wake up and suddenly start sprinting up in support. Just seems to me that there is much too much reliance on bash and barge, the Raiders don't actually pass the ball that much, do they? And that won't beat the best sides. The commentary made much of Parra's pack getting top of the Raiders forwards, which was obviously true, but they had the craft to create tries on the back of that field position. I thought the lad at full-back did just fine. If only some of his team-mates had performed as well.