Eels 13+
14%

Total votes: 14

Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Re: 2021 Rd 6 V Eels: Game Day

Post by Green Taipan »

Pathetic performance in front of the best crowd for awhile. It really exposes Ricky's coaching style where he perseveres with under performers, too slow to react to glaring deficiencies, can't pick a bench and leaves his best player, Kriss out of the side. If radical changes are not made soon we will not make the 8. A repeat of 2017 looms!
Last edited by Green Taipan on April 17, 2021, 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Boomercm wrote:Yardage from back 5 a big issue. Such a key part of the game.

How do you maximize that with our squad when all fit. Maybe:

Aekins
Semi
Scott
CNK
Kris

As a backline. Right now I feel like a Moneyball approach is required. Pick the guys that will make the most meters and fit them in somewhere.
CNK
Aekins
Scott
Kris
Rapana

Semi is a liability and Crocker is done
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Im still fuming. I actually think the last time I’ve felt like this was about 3 years ago.
Up The Milk
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:23 pm Im still fuming. I actually think the last time I’ve felt like this was about 3 years ago.
Yep I just said the exact same thing to my wife.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:21 pm
Raider47 wrote:Fully expecting the only changes to be Lui for Guler and Kris for Startling.

That is all.
That’s sad
Guler doesn't deserve to be dropped. James needs to be back. Sia should be replaced by him, CNH for Havili, Kris for Starling. He won't drop Croker or Scott.
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:23 pm Im still fuming. I actually think the last time I’ve felt like this was about 3 years ago.
Yep I just said the exact same thing to my wife. If we don’t have some dramatic change in team selection and performance I’ll be surprised if we make the 8.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

gangrenous wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:19 pm
afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:09 pm
afgtnk wrote:
gangrenous wrote: April 17, 2021, 9:52 pm
You keep talking and none of it matches reality.
You're literally one of two people attributing the loss to CNK's absence.

Barely anyone is buying it, and you shouldn't even attempt to try and sell. Caleb Aekins had a very solid game tonight in line with expectations.
I’m not attributing the loss to missing CNK. There’s clearly a number of issues across the paddock at the moment.

I’m just saying it’s not surprising our defence got dramatically worse when you take out our defensively superb fullback.

But you can’t bring yourself even to admit the obvious.
The absence of our 'defensively superb fullback' is not responsible for some Eels forward strolling through our right edge on the line. There is **** nothing he could or would do there that Aekins didn't do, who if you're not aware, is also an adept defensive fullback.

Wake up to yourself - there's barely anyone making anything of him apart from you because, clearly, HE'S NOT THE ANSWER.
At the very least, I guarantee he saves the first try Papalii scored in cover defence. I don’t doubt he saves others.

I’m not going to respond to you any more this evening. You live in a fantasy land of deluded hatred that prevents you seeing the obvious.
You're entitled to your opinion. Not sure why I'm still going with you here because you're dead wrong, but still, entitled to the opinion.

I'm not interested in doing a little bit better. I want the team to be a class above and CNK's presence sure as hell isn't bringing that - end of.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:23 pm
Boomercm wrote:Yardage from back 5 a big issue. Such a key part of the game.

How do you maximize that with our squad when all fit. Maybe:

Aekins
Semi
Scott
CNK
Kris

As a backline. Right now I feel like a Moneyball approach is required. Pick the guys that will make the most meters and fit them in somewhere.
CNK
Aekins
Scott
Kris
Rapana

Semi is a liability and Crocker is done
That's not a bad back five. Aekins, CNK, Kris, Rapana definites. How's Timoko going in NSW cup? Scott should be given some chances as he played well in the first 2 rounds.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

That is still an ordinary back 5
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

2021 Rd 6 V Eels: Game Day

Just watched the presser.

I’d love to know who he believes the individuals are that are letting down the team.
He said that Kris will be in the team either starting or on the bench. Scott ran for 116m vs the other centre who only ran for 47. Croker to cover as the back on the bench?????

I doubt it but can only dream.

CHN, Gurler, Horse and Starling my bench for next week
Last edited by Raider of d Lost Ark on April 17, 2021, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

I think the return of hodgson has created a division in the playing group.. They don't look as happy as last year. Hodgo likes to control everything and I don't think Wighton and others like it..
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote:Just watched the presser.

I’d love to know who he believes the individuals are that are letting down the team.
He said that Kris will be in the team either starting or on the bench. Scott ran for 116m vs the other centre who only ran for 47. Croker to cover as the back on the bench?????

Damn, need to fit James in too. Horse another week in reserves Image
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Disappointing night. Definitely expected the team to play with a bit more fire than they did tonight. No excuses for being out-enthused when we're at home against a team with 2 days less recovery time.

The biggest concern is that our best players were amongst our worst. Wighton, Papa, Hodgo are all playing poorly, compounding the obvious regression of Croker, Rapana, and Whitehead. This is not a case of some fringe guys not making the grade - in fact Guler and Aekin were two of our best - our most influential players are poorly out of touch.

I don't expect Ricky to wield the axe - simply put I think he's all in on this group, and his loyalty for his guys is matched only by his stubbornness. Kris and CHN seem like absolute musts at this point, however.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:04 pm Genuinely interested to see how this team and this coach responds to this. The standard is the standard, and we're firmly fallen short
It's a long season, we're in a hole.... so what, now what? Are we built for it? Or are we not.

Interesting spot for this football team
I agree, it's a pivotal time
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:35 pm Just watched the presser.

If Croker would give his left arm for the club like Ricky says.. than why doesn't he put the club first and move on..
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

radicalraider wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:36 pm I think the return of hodgson has created a division in the playing group.. They don't look as happy as last year. Hodgo likes to control everything and I don't think Wighton and others like it..
Agree; Hodgson is as dogmatic as the coach!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

twistedbydesign wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:38 pm The biggest concern is that our best players were amongst our worst. Wighton, Papa, Hodgo are all playing poorly, compounding the obvious regression of Croker, Rapana, and Whitehead. This is not a case of some fringe guys not making the grade - in fact Guler and Aekin were two of our best - our most influential players are poorly out of touch.
Agree, good point. I think that's why the loss unsettled me, couldn't put my finger on it but you've nailed it
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

People complaining about the cattle, or offering selection suggestions... it’s shuffling deck chairs on the titanic at this point. Our system sucks. It lacks innovation, it lacks organisation. Show me where on match day any evidence of coaching exists. (Bleeding green doesn’t count). And it’s been this way for many years.

Individual brilliance bailed us out in 2016 and 2019, and it gave us plenty of entertainment. But these issues have always been there with Rick, under the surface. He’s not an innovator and he can’t reinvent himself - just look at his coaching career as a whole. It’s bog ordinary. We are stuck with him for a long time thanks to the old boy connection
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Green Taipan wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:38 pm
radicalraider wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:36 pm I think the return of hodgson has created a division in the playing group.. They don't look as happy as last year. Hodgo likes to control everything and I don't think Wighton and others like it..
Agree; Hodgson is as dogmatic as the coach!
Dogmatic!! Perfect description of them both.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

It’s a young man’s game these days...and we’re just too old where it matters most.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The way Guler went absolutely nailed to me that Ricky's having his biases get in the way of the best team here.

Yes he sustained a significant injury last season, but he did not need more than a month in reserves to come back from it. He was above anything Sia or Namis have put out this season. That's just one example - he's doing it across the team.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

GreenMachine wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:43 pm It’s a young man’s game these days...and we’re just too old where it matters most.
True. It's about speed now and tiring the opposition out. I'm not sure getting into the grind (which seniors are usually good at) cuts it anymore
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Rickmando wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:41 pm People complaining about the cattle, or offering selection suggestions... it’s shuffling deck chairs on the titanic at this point. Our system sucks. It lacks innovation, it lacks organisation. Show me where on match day any evidence of coaching exists. (Bleeding green doesn’t count). And it’s been this way for many years.

Individual brilliance bailed us out in 2016 and 2019, and it gave us plenty of entertainment. But these issues have always been there with Rick, under the surface. He’s not an innovator and he can’t reinvent himself - just look at his coaching career as a whole. It’s bog ordinary. We are stuck with him for a long time thanks to the old boy connection
Totally agree, leipana in 2016 and papalii in 2019. Our attack as a team has been ordinary for a long time.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

we looked flat and disinterested in the contact.

Missing Bateman and Cotric

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Parramatta Eels too slippery for Canberra Raiders

Ricky Stuart didn't miss. This time it was his Canberra Raiders in his sights - some, not all - after they were "embarrassed" by the Parramatta Eels on Saturday night.

It was in front of a massive Canberra Stadium crowd, 20,089 crammed through the gates with thousands of them stuck outside at kick-off. But the Green Machine didn't turn up and Stuart felt sorry for the fans after the Raiders were thrashed 35-10.

PARRAMATTA EELS 35 (Isaiah Papali'i 2, Maika Sivo, Shaun Lane, Reed Mahoney, Clint Gutherson tries; Mitchell Moses 5 goals; Moses field goal) btCANBERRA RAIDERS 10 (Jordan Rapana; George Williams tries; Jarrod Croker goal) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Ben Cummins. Crowd: 20,089.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

Raiders thumped as Eels spoil Caleb Aekins debut in front of huge Canberra Stadium crowd

It took just 28 minutes for Caleb Aekins to endear himself to the Raiders' faithful, doing the seemingly impossible and holding up a rampaging Maika Sivo.

Aekins won't remember his Raiders debut fondly though, after the Eels turned on the style in the second half to win 35-10. Sivo still finished with a try, and produced a key offload in the build up to Shaun Lane's spectacular second-half try.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

‘Embarrassed’: Raging Ricky singles out Raiders individuals who ‘think they’re NRL players’

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has said he was “embarrassed” with the efforts of his Raiders side and called out the performances of “certain individuals” in his their loss to Parramatta.

“It was disappointing, we had a massive crowd and every reason to make them proud of us,” Stuart said. “We embarrassed ourselves in front of what could have been. We embarrassed ourselves in front of what could have been a night to make them proud of our effort.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b6ea79a2fb

Ricky laments selection ‘stuff up’

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has admitted after the game that he was “stuffed up” not having an outside back on his bench and declared that he won’t be making that mistake again.

“I’m disappointed in myself in regards to not having Seb Kris on the bench tonight. I stuffed up, we should have learnt from last week,” he said.

“I’ve been carrying Tommy because I wanted to get Tommy on the field at some stage for different types of reasons but Seb Kris will be in the 17 next week somewhere whether it be starting centre on the bench, it’ll be somewhere.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 58141825fb

MATCH REPORT: Party like it's 2006: Eels break 15-year drought with dominant display: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/17/par ... r-drought/

MATCH REPORT: Raiders beaten by Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... arramatta/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Eels: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/17/mat ... rs-v-eels/

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Eels: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... nd-6-2021/

PRESS CONFERENCE: Ricky Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... s-round-6/

PRESS CONFERENCE: Brad Arthur: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... s-round-6/
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

The game has quickly passed us by. We’re a bit of a joke on other teams forums, and for good reason..
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Fact is we are not a stronger team than the last 2 years. A re-build with an outdated dogmatic coach is going to be long and painful with a bitter ending. Buckle up for a few years Raiders fans
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Sounded like Ricky has nearly had enough and will change things up. That's one positive, but I think we need more than just swapping jerseys. Our attitude across the park hasn't really been where it needs to be.

We are notoriously slow starters so there is that, but our structure and style is pretty ordinary too. We don't look threatening enough and why isn't Wighton running the ball. Last year I thought he was a bit of a ball hog, but he played so well you can excuse it. This year he isn't backing himself enough and just putting it through the hands to Rapana isn't going to cut it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

This loss was good in a way to expose Rickys tactics in front of 20000 fans. He can't hide tonight
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

gergreg wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:58 pm Sounded like Ricky has nearly had enough and will change things up. That's one positive, but I think we need more than just swapping jerseys. Our attitude across the park hasn't really been where it needs to be.

We are notoriously slow starters so there is that, but our structure and style is pretty ordinary too. We don't look threatening enough and why isn't Wighton running the ball. Last year I thought he was a bit of a ball hog, but he played so well you can excuse it. This year he isn't backing himself enough and just putting it through the hands to Rapana isn't going to cut it.

Wighton isn't a 6. He's being played in a position which demands a level of skill which he isn't gifted with and is resulting in him making errors every game which in turn is affecting his confidence. He needs to be moved to the centres Asap.
Last edited by radicalraider on April 17, 2021, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

sprintman wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:55 pm The game has quickly passed us by. We’re a bit of a joke on other teams forums, and for good reason..
I noted tonight some pre and post game comments from Moses which indicates that the respect other teams have for us may be slipping. Specifically when he was asserting that essentially if they play like x (forgot the exact wording) they will win the game. And he reiterated it after the game and was fully vindicated.

This is distinct from being an elite team whereby sometimes you may play well
But still be beaten.

Worrying times.
Up The Milk
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins

gergreg wrote:Sounded like Ricky has nearly had enough and will change things up. That's one positive, but I think we need more than just swapping jerseys. Our attitude across the park hasn't really been where it needs to be.

I think a few people have suggested it and I agree, Wighton isn’t the same player as last year due to Hodgson
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

bonehead wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:52 pm we looked flat and disinterested in the contact.

Missing Bateman and Cotric

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
And CNK....and Mullins, Nadruku, Nagas and Trevor Thurling (when he was 23).
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Disappointing second half outcome to the game tonight. Hodgo TV interview indicated the side is not adjusting to the 6 again calls and the relentless play without a break under the new rules. Once again we lose a back during the match and the side is reshuffled and disrupted defensively. I am far more concerned that we had 35 points put on us. To not just stop the opposition but to drive them back in gang tackles should be the tactic to break momentum.

Although a rookie, Seb Kris has been easily our best performed three quarter line back and yet he cannot get a game. That's on Sticky. I don't understand why form is not the main criteria. There are a number of players playing busted. Sia's jersey was pulled up at one point and he had swathes of padding around his ribs. If Ryan James can be rested I think Sia can be too. He is all heart, but I think HorsPower would offer more at this stage of the season. Guler showed what a refreshed young bloke could do tonight. Let's get at least one more young fella onto the bench to improve our attacking punch. Apart from Sutton, the players are running across field and making themselves easy targets for fast moving defensive lines. One more issue about the use of Starling. Please have a forward designated to run at the slowest marker player in the opposition pack and then from the next play the ball, have Starling use his speed advantage with players in support on either side of him. We don't seem to be able to take advantage of slower moving opposition defenders.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

radicalraider wrote:
gergreg wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:58 pm Sounded like Ricky has nearly had enough and will change things up. That's one positive, but I think we need more than just swapping jerseys. Our attitude across the park hasn't really been where it needs to be.

Wighton isn't a 6. He's being played in a position which demands a level of skill which he isn't gifted with and is resulting in him making errors every game which in turn is affecting his confidence. He needs to be moved to the centres Asap.
He won a Clive Churhill and a Dally M playing five eighth you melon

He's not playing the best atm, but to suggest he isn't a 6 is legitimately insane

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk