John Morris

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: John Morris

Post by Northern Raider »

I don't see anything special about Morris' coaching at the Sharks. If he did have a bright future I doubt they'd be trying to replace him with a rookie head coach.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

John Morris? Where did this thought come from?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Seiffert82 wrote:John Morris? Where did this thought come from?
Thought is a bit of a stretch, more like a brain fart

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote: April 12, 2021, 10:59 am
Seiffert82 wrote:John Morris? Where did this thought come from?
Thought is a bit of a stretch, more like a brain fart

It's a bit out there. :lol:

Not saying Morris is a poor coach, just that comparing him to Stuart is a bit like the Papa vs Horsburgh debate.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Can anyone honestly say though that Stuart was a better coach at 40 than John Morris is?

I don't think they can.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2021, 11:41 pm
sprintman wrote: April 11, 2021, 8:07 pm St Merge are showing tonight exactly what a first rate coach can do...
The one that's never won a premiership and has been kicked out of two clubs so far?
Bit unfair there GE.

Remember he was flying with the panties when they sacked him. Clearly all linked to the Cleary stuff, thought they would have lost Nathan without Ivan back etc, Gould disagreements and some players not liking his style. From memory they sacked him when they were top 4?

Hook is a great appointment to saints. Brings a no nonsense steel to them. Interesting that Elliot is his main assistant with Soward. Smart from him as he doesn't understand the culture of the club so brings back ex players to help.

Saints were great last night. Real pace; real mongrel. They have been woeful the last few years at stages. Too much drama and macgregor just no traction as coach. I think he's an excellent appointment for them.

I'd take Morris as an assistant? Someone mentioned what he has done with Kennedy and Rudolph. I don't think he is a head coach yet/ever but I think he could be a great assistant. And I think that some coaches are just better suited as assistants. Head Coach shouldn't necessarily be the end game for all these guys.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah im not a huge fan of Hook as a coach, but the ONLY reason the panthers got rid of him was that Nathan Cleary was going to go and play for his Dad
If the panthers didnt do what they needed to do to get Cleary at the Panthers, he'd be playing under Dad at the tigers right now
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: April 12, 2021, 1:44 pm yeah im not a huge fan of Hook as a coach, but the ONLY reason the panthers got rid of him was that Nathan Cleary was going to go and play for his Dad
If the panthers didnt do what they needed to do to get Cleary at the Panthers, he'd be playing under Dad at the tigers right now
I'd say there were more reasons.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Ivan Cleary never won a premiership and was kicked out of 2 clubs. Including the one he currently coaches.
Last edited by Northern Raider on April 12, 2021, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2021, 1:48 pm
Botman wrote: April 12, 2021, 1:44 pm yeah im not a huge fan of Hook as a coach, but the ONLY reason the panthers got rid of him was that Nathan Cleary was going to go and play for his Dad
True. Gus didn't like Hook. That was made fairly obvious. Doesn't mean he can't coach. He had Panthers in top 4 when he got punted. He's also the most successful Broncos coach not call Wayne Bennett.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

There may have been other factors that contributed to some level.. but I can tell you with absolute certainty that Nathan Cleary and his future was far and away the biggest factor in Hook being removed in favour of Ivan Cleary
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Northern Raider wrote: April 12, 2021, 1:53 pm
True. Gus didn't like Hook. That was made fairly obvious. Doesn't mean he can't coach. He had Panthers in top 4 when he got punted. He's also the most successful Broncos coach not call Wayne Bennett.
His style has a pretty short shelf life, by the looks. The disciplinarian starts to grate fairly quickly... and that's what we were hearing at the Panthers before he got the sack. There have hardly been any coaches at the Broncos other than Wayne Bennett. I don't count success as a Preliminary Final (3rd), two qualifying finals (8th) and a finish outside the finals (12th).
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2021, 2:00 pm
His style has a pretty short shelf life, by the looks. The disciplinarian starts to grate fairly quickly... and that's what we were hearing at the Panthers before he got the sack. There have hardly been any coaches at the Broncos other than Wayne Bennett. I don't count success as a Preliminary Final (3rd), two qualifying finals (8th) and a finish outside the finals (12th).
Yes it's a small sample size for Broncos coaches. He still did a better job than Henjak, Seibold and (on early indicators) Walters. It's your decision how you rate his performances as a coach but his record is reasonable.

As for shelf life of his approach, that's possibly correct. Same can be said of many coaches however. One thing can't be denied is he's getting the best out of the Dragons right now.
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Cronulla haven’t beaten a top 8 team since Round 20 2019.

He might be the nicest bloke in the world but results matter above all else.

I hope our next coach is hired from within, as Ricky/current staff have created an excellent culture within the club (one which was rotten prior) and I’d like to see it maintained.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

tommyhud9 wrote: April 12, 2021, 10:37 pm Cronulla haven’t beaten a top 8 team since Round 20 2019.

He might be the nicest bloke in the world but results matter above all else.

I hope our next coach is hired from within, as Ricky/current staff have created an excellent culture within the club (one which was rotten prior) and I’d like to see it maintained.
I don't see us having a "next coach" any time soon. If/when it does occur it will be because of Sticky deciding to give it away completely, in which case he may start preparing his successor. Or it will be due to complete breakdown in culture, in which case it will require somebody new from outside the current organisation.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Boomercm wrote: April 12, 2021, 6:10 am
benda wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:52 pm He is a good coach and did well with a roster he didnt choose and had limited ability to adjust.

He would be great as an assistant.
That was my thought, with a view to taking over in a few years if he proved his mettle within the squad/system.

Two points I left out earlier

(1) they don't seem to get flogged often, even in this era where everyone gets flogged. They don't give up (like us)

(2) Has a sports science degree. So no idiot.
Guy has had one hand tied behind his back. So imo really silly decision not to give the guy a chance.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Morris gone effective immediately, replaced by Craig Fitzgibbon. Apparently he won’t be in charge next weekend, and coached last game
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

With the Sharks possibly signing Will Chambers, do we have a crack at some of their outside backs?
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

GreenMachine wrote: April 13, 2021, 7:01 pm With the Sharks possibly signing Will Chambers, do we have a crack at some of their outside backs?
Soft serve?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Finchy wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: April 13, 2021, 7:01 pm With the Sharks possibly signing Will Chambers, do we have a crack at some of their outside backs?
Soft serve?
It would reduce Canberra’s unemployment rate if we did.

Imagine how many additional Physiotherapists and stretcher bearers we’d need at the club.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Finchy wrote: April 13, 2021, 7:11 pm
Soft serve?
Hell No.
Thinking more along the lines of Ramien or Tracy.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Tracy would be handy utility value seeing he's actually a half

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I'd take Tracey as first back up half if Sam is on his way out
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

There is also talk Gareth Widdop is returning to the NRL... possibly with the Cows
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

sprintman wrote: April 13, 2021, 6:36 pm Morris gone effective immediately, replaced by Craig Fitzgibbon. Apparently he won’t be in charge next weekend, and coached last game
has to happen at that point, else he can poison the well.

We should be looking to bring him on as an assistant, and using that to bring Kennedy and Ramien with him.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Big fan of Hook. Love the way he talks about the game. He's making a big effort to be more accessable now than when he was at Broncos/Panthers.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Boomercm wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:39 pm
sprintman wrote: April 13, 2021, 6:36 pm Morris gone effective immediately, replaced by Craig Fitzgibbon. Apparently he won’t be in charge next weekend, and coached last game
has to happen at that point, else he can poison the well.

We should be looking to bring him on as an assistant, and using that to bring Kennedy and Ramien with him.
Don't think Morris is the kind of guy to do a Wayne Bennett. He needs to establish a reputation as a quality head coach and poisoning the well upon exit would be detrimental to getting a new hire.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

afgtnk wrote: April 13, 2021, 7:56 pm I'd take Tracey as first back up half if Sam is on his way out
Tracey is a hooker. I think there is one thing we can all agree on and that is we don't need ANOTHER hooker on the bench!!
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Morris has been screwed over royally in my opinion. He has done a pretty good job with a roster that has quite a few players being paid far, far more than they are worth.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bay53 wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:30 am
afgtnk wrote: April 13, 2021, 7:56 pm I'd take Tracey as first back up half if Sam is on his way out
Tracey is a hooker. I think there is one thing we can all agree on and that is we don't need ANOTHER hooker on the bench!!
Tracey can play multiple positions though its debatable about what his best one is. Thing is he can cover many spots through hooker, halves or backs. Raiders don't have anybody like this in our top 30 and its very handy to have one of these 'swiss army knife' players in the extended squad. Looking at other clubs you have Tyrone May (Panthers), Nico Hynes (Storm), Will Smith (Eels), Connor Watson (Knights), Ben Hampton (Cowboys) etc. in the top 17. None of them are good enough at one position to gain a permanent starting spot. You can still chuck them in almost anywhere at a pinch if needed.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Sharks will be hoping Craig does as well as his old man Allan. He did a good job over a couple of seasons.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think Morris would be a very good assistant coach too.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: April 11, 2021, 10:04 pm
Boomercm wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:46 pm |Most important is result. I think he has got something out of that squad, which I don't think much of. Dugan, Moylan, Johnson, Fifita, Graham are the big money players he inhereted - and they are all passed their best and/or have had substantial injury problems across last two years. Yet he has got something out of the group and managed to limp into the finals. He's had the Dugan retirement saga, ongoing Fifita saga, and the roid muncher in that time too. All managed without a fuss.

He's also brought through (11 I think I read) uncapped players. We have a fantasy league comp where you couldn't give away Will Kennedy going into this year. He's killing it. And this year they really should have beaten us and the roosters (lost both because of Chad). They lost 1 other game with 3 HIA's and an injury.
I think i look at that group and see something different
That's a pretty talented group, and yes there is injury issues and Graham and Fifita are on the downside of their careers, but i dont know that even when on the park and healthy, any of them have played close to their best footy. And i see that group and think to myself, they should be better than they are.

The point about uncapped players is a good one in speaking on his behalf. And one worth considering for certain situations. Does feel like to me the sort of guy who is maybe over-extended as a HC, but is pretty good as an assistant. Good response though and it has made me think a little differently about him
I agree with Boomer TBH.
That is a group of over paid pre retirement home players, mixed with a bunch who are in the hospital. SJ, Fifi, Dugan, Graham, Moylan, Tolman, Woods, I feel like I'm missing someone...

That side has a lot of guys who should be playing for Newtown. Yet they cling onto the 8.

He has had the board riding him the whole way.

He took over after Gal and Flannos BS.

Id say he is overstretched because of the off field extras. Never really did a AC apprenticeship either, because of Flanno. So I dont mind the idea of having him as a #2 or #3 guy.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

GreenMachine wrote: April 13, 2021, 8:36 pm There is also talk Gareth Widdop is returning to the NRL... possibly with the Cows
That rumour started in preseason, and my understanding is his shoulder failed the medical. So would be funny if he came in after Morgan's retirement
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Northern Raider wrote: April 14, 2021, 9:06 am
Bay53 wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:30 am
Tracey can play multiple positions though its debatable about what his best one is. Thing is he can cover many spots through hooker, halves or backs. Raiders don't have anybody like this in our top 30 and its very handy to have one of these 'swiss army knife' players in the extended squad. Looking at other clubs you have Tyrone May (Panthers), Nico Hynes (Storm), Will Smith (Eels), Connor Watson (Knights), Ben Hampton (Cowboys) etc. in the top 17. None of them are good enough at one position to gain a permanent starting spot. You can still chuck them in almost anywhere at a pinch if needed.
Shark's have reaped the benefit of Tracey this yr. Has played half, centre, wing and hooker this yr - mostly injury/HIA related