John Morris

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

John Morris

Post by Boomercm »

Any love for the idea of signing John Morris, with a view to him succeeding RIcky in 2-3? I think he's done a great job with limited playing resources, scandals, injuries, and no board support at the Sharks. Players seem to play for him, and he seems to be unflappable irrespective of outside noise and drama. I rate him
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Re: John Morris

Post by casta66 »

Maybe he and Dugan can be a package deal.
BJ
Steve Walters

John Morris

Post by BJ »

John Morris hasn’t shown anything special that you would do that.

Bellamy or Robinson would be the only coaches I would take over Ricky.
Last edited by BJ on April 11, 2021, 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

No.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I agree with your assessment Boomer - Morris has done a bang up job in that environment, and without seemingly ever having the full endorsement of his board.

Can’t say I’ve watched enough Sharks games to say whether his fingerprints are on a lot of their game day performance though?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

No.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

No
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Is it possible that Ricky Stuart as a 40yo wasn’t definitely a better coach than Morris?
Last edited by rayden83 on April 11, 2021, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

To give you a more detailed response OP, I believe should McFadden jockey long enough here as Stick's assistant, he'll get the nod once he's finished - despite his record with the Warriors.

In a few years' time my belief is that more clubs will transition towards a football director role in line with bigger professional sports, taking chunks of what is now the coach's and CEO's role, in order to allow the coach to focus more on coaching and the CEO the business side of things. Given he's still relatively young, Stick would be perfect for that IMO.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I don’t think he’s done a good job there at all. Don’t think he’s done a particularly bad job either. He’s just kind of average

But if your coach is just kind of bang on average, I reckon you should be looking to move on.

We should certainly be aiming to do better when the time comes to replace Stuart
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: April 11, 2021, 6:42 pm I don’t think he’s done a good job there at all. Don’t think he’s done a particularly bad job either. He’s just kind of average

But if your coach is just kind of bang on average, I reckon you should be looking to move on.

We should certainly be aiming to do better when the time comes to replace Stuart
For a start, the Sharks are reportedly moving him on as he’s not attracting new recruits. Not a coach players want to go and be coached by. We can’t afford that.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2021, 6:49 pm
Botman wrote: April 11, 2021, 6:42 pm I don’t think he’s done a good job there at all. Don’t think he’s done a particularly bad job either. He’s just kind of average

For a start, the Sharks are reportedly moving him on as he’s not attracting new recruits. Not a coach players want to go and be coached by. We can’t afford that.
Yes, we have enough trouble on that front as it is, and whilst Stuart has helped a little bit and we've found unconventional ways around the issue by heavily investing in English players... if the book on a coach is no one wants to come and play for him? That's a hard no for Canberra
Last edited by Botman on April 11, 2021, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

I’d rather just sign Bellamy. Just get it done. Bellamy will take us that extra step we need.

McFadden will be the next Coach I have a feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Brew wrote: April 11, 2021, 6:52 pm I’d rather just sign Bellamy. Just get it done. Bellamy will take us that extra step we need.

McFadden will be the next Coach I have a feeling.
I dont think that would work unless Stuart retired and was not involved in the club, which seems unlikely
Stuart and he are great mates sure, but if Stuart moves on it will be into another role with the club, likely with the HC answering directly to him

Those two egos arent going to work when one is able to pull rank on the other. And frankly i think they know that about themselves and dont think they'd risk their personal relationship by working together
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Imagine that, Stick and Bellyache, would be chairs and spittle all over the place!

On another note...weren't we able to keep Ravelawa, would have been just the shot right now
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I think the Sharks haven't beaten a top 8 team last year or this year. Hardly a glowing endorsement to not even be able to spring an occasional upset.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

They fell into the 8 last year

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

-TW- wrote: April 11, 2021, 7:38 pm They fell into the 8 last year

By beating up on weak lower ranked teams to get all their points. Flat track bullies.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

St Merge are showing tonight exactly what a first rate coach can do...
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2021, 6:49 pm

That's fair if true
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

sprintman wrote: April 11, 2021, 8:07 pm St Merge are showing tonight exactly what a first rate coach can do...
how many blokes here would have endorsed signing hook?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Here is my question to the OP. @boomercm

And as said, i dont really have strong views on Morris, i think he's kind of average...

What about the job he's done has impressed you to the point where you think he's worth looking at for a successor?
Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on that.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Finchy wrote: April 11, 2021, 7:27 pm I think the Sharks haven't beaten a top 8 team last year or this year. Hardly a glowing endorsement to not even be able to spring an occasional upset.
I think it remarkable they've done as well as they have. And he's turned some also-rans into players imo. I guess it all depends on how you view the circumstances surrounding the club. I can imagine them struggling to recruit players - but I wouldn't be holding Morris to account for that. We might get a better appraisal of his ability in 2 years time when we see how Fitzgibbon is going.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

Botman wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:28 pm Here is my question to the OP. @boomercm

And as said, i dont really have strong views on Morris, i think he's kind of average...

What about the job he's done has impressed you to the point where you think he's worth looking at for a successor?
Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts on that.

How the players talk about him is one thing (see Shaun Johnson's recent interview). But I guess whether the players like you isn't the be all and end all. The Dragons liked McGregor and spoke well of him, for instance.

Most important is result. I think he has got something out of that squad, which I don't think much of. Dugan, Moylan, Johnson, Fifita, Graham are the big money players he inhereted - and they are all passed their best and/or have had substantial injury problems across last two years. Yet he has got something out of the group and managed to limp into the finals. He's had the Dugan retirement saga, ongoing Fifita saga, and the roid muncher in that time too. All managed without a fuss.

He's also brought through (11 I think I read) uncapped players. We have a fantasy league comp where you couldn't give away Will Kennedy going into this year. He's killing it. And this year they really should have beaten us and the roosters (lost both because of Chad). They lost 1 other game with 3 HIA's and an injury.

I guess I just think most coaches would have done worse in similar circumstances. Be interesting to see how they go now they know he's been moved on.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

He is a good coach and did well with a roster he didnt choose and had limited ability to adjust.

He would be great as an assistant.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Boomercm wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:46 pm |Most important is result. I think he has got something out of that squad, which I don't think much of. Dugan, Moylan, Johnson, Fifita, Graham are the big money players he inhereted - and they are all passed their best and/or have had substantial injury problems across last two years. Yet he has got something out of the group and managed to limp into the finals. He's had the Dugan retirement saga, ongoing Fifita saga, and the roid muncher in that time too. All managed without a fuss.

He's also brought through (11 I think I read) uncapped players. We have a fantasy league comp where you couldn't give away Will Kennedy going into this year. He's killing it. And this year they really should have beaten us and the roosters (lost both because of Chad). They lost 1 other game with 3 HIA's and an injury.
I think i look at that group and see something different
That's a pretty talented group, and yes there is injury issues and Graham and Fifita are on the downside of their careers, but i dont know that even when on the park and healthy, any of them have played close to their best footy. And i see that group and think to myself, they should be better than they are.

The point about uncapped players is a good one in speaking on his behalf. And one worth considering for certain situations. Does feel like to me the sort of guy who is maybe over-extended as a HC, but is pretty good as an assistant. Good response though and it has made me think a little differently about him
BJ
Steve Walters

John Morris

Post by BJ »

I feel there’s some serious over rating of John Morris as a coach happening here.

I’m sure he’d be a very good assistant and maybe he could prove to be a good head coach. But it sounds like he’s Jack Gibson to some people.

He’s just been dumped by the Sharks. It’s not like we’d be taking a coach in high demand. They’d be a max exodus of key players at the Raiders if they decided to replace Ricky with John Morris.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: April 11, 2021, 8:07 pm St Merge are showing tonight exactly what a first rate coach can do...
The one that's never won a premiership and has been kicked out of two clubs so far?
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: April 11, 2021, 11:41 pm
The one that's never won a premiership and has been kicked out of two clubs so far?
The one thats turned the favourite for the spoon into the team in 4th place on the ladder. We’re 8th and looking shaky. That coach...
Boomercm
Brett Mullins

Post by Boomercm »

benda wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:52 pm He is a good coach and did well with a roster he didnt choose and had limited ability to adjust.

He would be great as an assistant.
That was my thought, with a view to taking over in a few years if he proved his mettle within the squad/system.

Two points I left out earlier

(1) they don't seem to get flogged often, even in this era where everyone gets flogged. They don't give up (like us)

(2) Has a sports science degree. So no idiot.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

sprintman wrote:
The one thats turned the favourite for the spoon into the team in 4th place on the ladder. We’re 8th and looking shaky. That coach...
Care to have a wager on who finishes higher on the 2021 premiership table out of the raiders and the dragons there, champ?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I really like what he's done with Will Kennedy and Toby Rudolph. Both have gone from being nobodies to top performers. And Sharks have been generally competitive

The fact is though you really have to shake some ground if you want a reputation as a coach. Top 4 and above, if not a premiership. Or, take a rubbish team and make them a performer (like Sticky with us, Hook with dragons so far, etc)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman wrote: April 12, 2021, 2:06 am
Just wait. We know what happens. It’s happened before.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

greeneyed wrote: April 12, 2021, 8:28 am
sprintman wrote: April 12, 2021, 2:06 am
Just wait. We know what happens. It’s happened before.
True but they’ve turned a corner. We’ve done a U turn...