15%
Eels 13+
15%

Total votes: 20

gerg
Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 6 V Eels: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gerg »

Pete Cash wrote:We can pick holes in the bench all day. We can say we look old and slow (we do) or that we need more punch (we do)

But issue number 1 is that its a bench that leaves us in big trouble if we sustain an injury anywhere that isn't a middle third player. An injury to a backrower or outside back puts Havili in the backrow and if he is there for any length of time he gets seriously gassed. His almost at times non-existent defense against the Warriors along with Scotts broken rib made us extremely vulnerable to the ball being shifted to that edge.

I have a lot of time for Havili and I think he has put in for the club. I don't blame him for the warriors game. That is what it is. A player is capped by his physical limitations. The guy can fill in the backrow for a period of time but for long stretches I would worry.
Agreed. We have been seriously exposed with this exact scenario in two separate games, but Ricky is being Ricky about it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

If hodgson is out I don't think we can win. He's the only one with a sense of direction in our lost spine.
Don't think either team will score more than 3 tries, expecting another low scoring grind.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:55 pm
radicalraider wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:24 pm Watching 360 and I'm happy their giving it to the panthers for being arrogant and cocky ( Tapine saga).. really hope Creighton and Luai get Severely hurt in the coming rounds..
Yeah I just commented on the same under the Penrith game day posts. Very unlikeable team

They love themselves and boast, and I don't think they will win anyway at the end. Clearys are very unlikeable and arrogant. Crichton has done nothing.

I hope we play them in the semis; there's scores to settle - not dumb ones like what Roosters did to Jai Arrow but we can beat these pr@#ks
Said the same.
I was cheering Melbourne in the GF.
Luai and Crighton are two of the most arrogant pricks I've seen...
Tapine should have planted one on him.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:22 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:10 pm I reckon the large amount of options in the forwards has stumped the coach.
He’s got to figure out the balance with the age groups we have.

Off-season must involve culling a few forwards for the benefit of signing some backs.

We don’t need million dollar signings, but we need something that’s above the level of the backline standard we currently have. The guys pushing through must clearly not be good enough for Ricky to rely on older and slow options like Rapana and Croker.
I think the coach is picking what he feels is the best 17 each week based on what he wants for the game and the club. And that doesnt always align to what fans want.

He maybe wrong or right, but i dont think he's stumped. This is a veteran players coach.
He can't be picking what's best for the game and club.
If that's the case, he's gambling that the likes of Horse, CHN and Guler won't up sticks and find teams where they can play consistently.
That's not what I'd call 'good for the club'.
Would you play Sia, Havilli and Lui over the three I've named?
And please don't claim Ricky has somehow selected this team because he has devised a game plan that 'strategically' involves a specific selection of players that will work against the eels. Ricky adopts the same game plan against every team....which is why the selections are even more confusing.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: April 14, 2021, 5:47 am
zim wrote:I've changed my mind a bit. Barring injury:

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Sebastian Kris
15. Siliva Havili
16. Corey Harawira-Naera
17. Ryan James

CHN coming on into the 2nd row after about 25mins with Young moving to the middle.
Yeah. That’s one fine looking bench.

WHY DOESN’T MINE LOOK LIKE THAT?!
Le Grille?!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

GreenMachine wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:10 pm I reckon the large amount of options in the forwards has stumped the coach.

Off-season must involve culling a few forwards for the benefit of signing some backs.

We don’t need million dollar signings, but we need something that’s above the level of the backline standard we currently have. The guys pushing through must clearly not be good enough for Ricky to rely on older and slow options like Rapana and Croker.
I think the coach is picking what he feels is the best 17 each week based on what he wants for the game and the club. And that doesnt always align to what fans want.

He maybe wrong or right, but i dont think he's stumped. This is a veteran players coach.
If that's the case, he's gambling that the likes of Horse, CHN and Guler won't up sticks and find teams where they can play consistently.
And please don't claim Ricky has somehow selected this team because he has devised a game plan that 'strategically' involves a specific selection of players that will work against the eels. Ricky adopts the same game plan against every team....which is why the selections are even more confusing.
Sia and Lui probably leave at the end of the season. Guler and Hors have longer contracts. I’d get your point if the first two players have their contracts extended.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

BJ wrote: April 14, 2021, 11:10 am
GreenMachine wrote:

Sia and Lui probably leave at the end of the season. Guler and Hors have longer contracts. I’d get your point if the first two players have their contracts extended.
Eh?
Isn't that THE point?
Shouldn't we be playing the younger guys on longer deals and relying on the veterans if there is an injury crisis?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

GreenMachine wrote:
BJ wrote: April 14, 2021, 11:10 am
GreenMachine wrote:

Eh?
Isn't that THE point?
Shouldn't we be playing the younger guys on longer deals and relying on the veterans if there is an injury crisis?
That would be the point ‘If’ those younger guys were performing on and off the field.

That’s the point I’m making.

I think we both agree that we’d rather the longer contracted players be first in line. But the younger guys have to hold up their end of the bargain by performing to expectations.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: April 14, 2021, 10:36 am

Im not arguing that his selections are correct. And my positon on Sia, Lui and Havilii are known. None of them are in my best 17. Guler, CHN, Hors are all ahead of them, and certainly James now too, though i dont mind him being rested on the grounds of the head knocks. I think that's smart and responsible stuff from the coach to take extra precautions with a player

Im saying the coach doesnt agree with us. He believes (IMO, wrongly) that this is the best team. He's not stumped, he's not confused, he's not spoilt for choices and over thinking anything here.
This is his MO, veteran players are the ones he tends to lean on and trust.

You might disagree with him, but i havent got a single doubt in the world he believes he's named the best team available to him
Last edited by Botman on April 14, 2021, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Pete Cash wrote: April 14, 2021, 9:17 am We can pick holes in the bench all day. We can say we look old and slow (we do) or that we need more punch (we do)

But issue number 1 is that its a bench that leaves us in big trouble if we sustain an injury anywhere that isn't a middle third player. An injury to a backrower or outside back puts Havili in the backrow and if he is there for any length of time he gets seriously gassed. His almost at times non-existent defense against the Warriors along with Scotts broken rib made us extremely vulnerable to the ball being shifted to that edge.

I have a lot of time for Havili and I think he has put in for the club. I don't blame him for the warriors game. That is what it is. A player is capped by his physical limitations. The guy can fill in the backrow for a period of time but for long stretches I would worry.
Particularly with the speed of the game now. We're seeing a lot more injuries. Even players going off for a HIA. You have to spend 15 mins with a makeshift backline. That's why most coaches have somebody on the bench who can play in the outer 3rds. Sticky was doing this for a while with Simo and Rapana on the bench. He's now resorted to the old habit of 4 middles.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I still dont know why we keep arguing over last years teams
Dont delete this GE
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Parra have the 2 best starting props. Papalii will have trouble stopping one let alone both. Starting Soliola should be amended.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

radicalraider wrote: April 14, 2021, 12:25 pm Parra have the 2 best starting props. Papalii will have trouble stopping one let alone both. Starting Soliola should be amended.
Their 2 starters are undoubtedly good, however Papalii is the best front rower in this game. And it's not particularly close.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

So, this game is probably the second biggest game of the round and Cummins is refereeing. I just cannot accept that he is the second best ranked referee in the game.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

gergreg wrote: April 14, 2021, 1:02 pm So, this game is probably the second biggest game of the round and Cummins is refereeing. I just cannot accept that he is the second best ranked referee in the game.

And he has a bit of history with us
Vaccinated
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

Old School Green wrote: April 13, 2021, 8:18 pm I agree that the side named isn’t necessarily how I’d name it. But I’m not coach; I don’t see the boys train, their attitude, their individual tracking data from games, training etc.
One thing about Stick is he knows his players. From everything the players say he coaches ‘with’ them not ‘to’ them.

I always think back to the PAGE situation. We were screaming for him; carved it up in reggies, huge runs, big hits. Stuart was adamant he didn’t have the motor (tracking data stats) and what he saw at training (the whole picture) didn’t warrant selection.
Went to the Saints. Played one game, gassed after 10 min and went straight to QCup. (I think?)
So I’ll back the boss to know what he is doing with his team; the boss whose actual ass is on the line results rise.
Ricky **** is not on the line, that's the problem. This club is far too wedded to sticking with it's favourate sons at all cost!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Botman wrote: April 14, 2021, 12:53 pm
radicalraider wrote: April 14, 2021, 12:25 pm Parra have the 2 best starting props. Papalii will have trouble stopping one let alone both. Starting Soliola should be amended.
Their 2 starters are undoubtedly good, however Papalii is the best front rower in this game. And it's not particularly close.
Better than what he was at 23.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Green Taipan wrote: April 14, 2021, 2:24 pm
Old School Green wrote: April 13, 2021, 8:18 pm I agree that the side named isn’t necessarily how I’d name it. But I’m not coach; I don’t see the boys train, their attitude, their individual tracking data from games, training etc.
One thing about Stick is he knows his players. From everything the players say he coaches ‘with’ them not ‘to’ them.

I always think back to the PAGE situation. We were screaming for him; carved it up in reggies, huge runs, big hits. Stuart was adamant he didn’t have the motor (tracking data stats) and what he saw at training (the whole picture) didn’t warrant selection.
Went to the Saints. Played one game, gassed after 10 min and went straight to QCup. (I think?)
So I’ll back the boss to know what he is doing with his team; the boss whose actual ass is on the line results rise.
Ricky **** is not on the line, that's the problem. This club is far too wedded to sticking with it's favourate sons at all cost!
Point is as much as we can all put our two bobs in (it’s a forum, that’s the point!) it’s his job to select the team. Ten people on here will give ten different ideas about who should play and why. At the end of the day it’s Sticks job and he will be rightfully judged on results at the end of the season etc.
It’s only round 6 and usually we always start the season slowly and build. I’m sure that if it all goes to **** we will see more aggressive team changes.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Raiders666 wrote: April 14, 2021, 8:54 am
Bay53 wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:37 am I would have CHN on the bench ahead of Kris. One is a centre who can play back row. The other is a backrower who can play centre. You are guaranteed to need the forward in your bench rotation, not necessarily the back.

I have been a bit surprised by the comments on Kris. Firstly, that it was such a surprise he was able to make the team round 1. People forget, he was in our 21 man squad for a Grand Final, he has been a gun junior all the way through. Things clearly got too much last year and he needed to reassess whether he wanted to be a professional athlete but once he decided he was committed I am not surprised he made it back.

But on the flip side I also think he has been good rather than as great as some people have made out. I think he has started well in most games but faded out in nearly all of them.
I think all our outside backs are that bad they make Kris look like Mal Meninga
Lol agree, he's the only one who's really shown any attacking threat (Rapana has too but he's a lock). That's more the point, not that he's Big Mal 2.0. Add his versatility where we've been bitten more than once already by a disrupted backline, and I thought a no brainer
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Caleb's confidence makes Canberra sure he can cover for CNK

Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson has confidence in Caleb Aekins replacing Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad because that's what the former Panthers fullback exudes on and off the field.

"Stick was obviously thinking of a few options and tossed up a few different ideas to me and the other senior boys about what we were thinking and what's his ideas, and as soon as he mentioned Caleb we were all on board," Hodgson said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/14/cal ... r-for-cnk/

VIDEO: Raiders duo Josh Hodgson and Jack Wighton are excited for Caleb Aekins to make his club debut on Saturday night against the Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... els-clash/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Ryan Sutton: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... n-sutton2/

Canberra Raiders confident Caleb Aekins a natural at the back

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is a big loss, but Caleb Aekins is a natural fullback whose Canberra Raiders teammates have full confidence in.

"He's a natural fullback. He's been putting all the hard work in all pre-season," Jack Wighton said. "He's one of those blokes who is easy to love so we're all happy for him and can't wait to take the field with him.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Get on top of Parramatta Eels pack to keep Reed Mahoney quiet: Josh Hodgson

As one of the best hookers in the world, Josh Hodgson knows the best way to shut down Parramatta rake Reed Mahoney is to get on top of the Eels' big forward pack.

"As a nine it all comes off the back of your forward pack," Hodgson said. "Usually you're getting wraps because your forward pack are dominating through the middle and you're getting some front-foot action to jump off the back of and run.

Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Calen Aekins - NZ born and bred full back who has played a few games for a previous club but left to come to the Raiders because he was behind a quality full back who looked set to hold that position long term.

The last bloke who had that story turned out all right.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Bay53 wrote: April 14, 2021, 8:50 pm Calen Aekins - NZ born and bred full back who has played a few games for a previous club but left to come to the Raiders because he was behind a quality full back who looked set to hold that position long term.

He could be rotating with simmonson according to Lara Pitt on 360.
Lucy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Tarps

Post by Lucy »

If Simonsson still has a starting role come season end, I'll eat my hat.

He is just a reincarnation of Craig Frawley.

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

No one is really talking about it but really keen to see how Guler goes.

When did he get injured again?

I feel like he has been on ice since our GF loss...
Up The Milk
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 14, 2021, 9:13 pm No one is really talking about it but really keen to see how Guler goes.

When did he get injured again?

I feel like he has been on ice since our GF loss...
Agree I reckon out of all the young forwards he's the one with the biggest potential. Fingers crossed he stays fit.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

Lucy wrote:If Simonsson still has a starting role come season end, I'll eat my hat.

He has been getting better the last few rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Rick wrote: April 14, 2021, 9:21 pm
Lucy wrote:If Simonsson still has a starting role come season end, I'll eat my hat.

He has been getting better the last few rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are we paying Bailey 1.2 mil a season? I wasn't aware!
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Bovrick
Ken Nagas

Post by Bovrick »

I really don't get the Simmo hate - he's upped his physicality and is doing an ok job. It will always be tough for our right winger as long as our structure gives us a grand total of one player who can pass the ball on the right, and he (Williams) is spending a decent amount of time on the left too. With a FB that can't reliably link, and now an edge forward who is more of a middle, we need Jack to start adding numbers to the right or the 3/4s there will only ever be grunts to work the ball out of our 20.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

radicalraider wrote: April 14, 2021, 8:54 pm
Bay53 wrote: April 14, 2021, 8:50 pm Calen Aekins - NZ born and bred full back who has played a few games for a previous club but left to come to the Raiders because he was behind a quality full back who looked set to hold that position long term.

He could be rotating with simmonson according to Lara Pitt on 360.
That's silly. Aekins is a fullback and already played NRL in that position. No need to rotate him into a unfamiliar position.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Although I don't agree with some of the selections, I feel that we will win this game if luck is on our side with injuries. Parra aren't as good as some people make them out to be... I think they will be lucky to make the top 8 this year. A win is always better than a loss... although a win here will be frustrating as it will mean there is almost zero chance that we see any changes to the team.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

how isnt this a Channel 9 Sunday afternoon with Ray Warren.................ohh thats why, theres a better game on...my bad
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Emre Guler puts 'depressing' year behind him

Emre Guler admits last year was pretty depressing. Watching on from the sidelines as a broken ankle kept the Canberra Raiders prop out.

"It was tough to watch the boys. It was pretty depressing at times, but I was lucky I had other boys like Corey [Horsburgh] and 'Hodgo' in with me to get through rehab. It was OK at the same time because I had those boys with me."

Guler's long awaited return: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ed-return/

Clunky Green Machine hoping to click into gear

Canberra Raiders gun Jack Wighton hopes the big stage can spark a "clunky" Canberra attack into action.

"We've been a bit clunky over a few of the weeks, but that's just early rounds," Wighton said. "It's just as a team, the cohesion. We've been getting a couple of tight wins and not playing our best, but we'll keep working on it.

MATCH PREVIEW: Raiders v Eels: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34554

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... rs-v-eels/

VIDEO: Hodgson reveals game-day prep: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... -day-prep/

Canberra Raiders forward Ryan Sutton is auctioning off a pair of his match worn boots to help raise money for Wigan and Leigh Hospice: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... h-hospice/
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 15, 2021, 4:20 pm Although I don't agree with some of the selections, I feel that we will win this game if luck is on our side with injuries. Parra aren't as good as some people make them out to be... I think they will be lucky to make the top 8 this year. A win is always better than a loss... although a win here will be frustrating as it will mean there is almost zero chance that we see any changes to the team.
I agree that Parra are over-rated, but I think it’s a bit of a stretch to think they’ll be lucky to make the top 8. They’re clearly better than the vast majority of other teams and will likely make top 4. They lost their first game of the season last week, and have already beaten Melbourne.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Finchy wrote: April 15, 2021, 5:46 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: April 15, 2021, 4:20 pm Although I don't agree with some of the selections, I feel that we will win this game if luck is on our side with injuries. Parra aren't as good as some people make them out to be... I think they will be lucky to make the top 8 this year. A win is always better than a loss... although a win here will be frustrating as it will mean there is almost zero chance that we see any changes to the team.
I agree that Parra are over-rated, but I think it’s a bit of a stretch to think they’ll be lucky to make the top 8. They’re clearly better than the vast majority of other teams and will likely make top 4. They lost their first game of the season last week, and have already beaten Melbourne.
Parra is easily the worst of the teams currently in the top 8 imo - I would bet money for them to miss out on top 4.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
Parra is easily the worst of the teams currently in the top 8 imo - I would bet money for them to miss out on top 4.
Wow. I've got them better than the Titans, the Dragons and neck and neck with us (we'll find out tomorrow). They match us in the forwards and backs pretty well. Only halves we might just shade them.