1. Penrith
2. Rabbitohs
3. Melbourne
4. Roosters
5. Eels
6. Dragons
7. Raiders
8. Titans
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2020 Rd 6 V Eels: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Finchy wrote: April 15, 2021, 7:53 pm I'd have:

1. Penrith
2. Rabbitohs
3. Melbourne
4. Roosters
5. Eels
6. Dragons
7. Raiders
8. Titans
I'd have it as 5. Dragons 6. Us 7. Titans 8. Eels for the moment... Eels have been dealt a much better hand to start the season, I just can't see them keeping it up.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Go Broncos Go
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote: April 15, 2021, 6:02 pm
Parra is easily the worst of the teams currently in the top 8 imo - I would bet money for them to miss out on top 4.
Wow. I've got them better than the Titans, the Dragons and neck and neck with us (we'll find out tomorrow). They match us in the forwards and backs pretty well. Only halves we might just shade them.
If they’re neck and neck with us then they’re beating us without Charnze.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2021, 6:26 am
BadnMean wrote:
Parra is easily the worst of the teams currently in the top 8 imo - I would bet money for them to miss out on top 4.
Wow. I've got them better than the Titans, the Dragons and neck and neck with us (we'll find out tomorrow). They match us in the forwards and backs pretty well. Only halves we might just shade them.
That's what I'm worried about. We'll need Hodgo and the halves to be right on their game and really click together. Be nice if Toots found himself again and Scott picked up where he left off. That might just about cover it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

BadnMean wrote: April 16, 2021, 6:48 am
BadnMean wrote:
That's what I'm worried about. We'll need Hodgo and the halves to be right on their game and really click together. Be nice if Toots found himself again and Scott picked up where he left off. That might just about cover it.
Agreed. And Aekins needs to be good too.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

The Nickman wrote: April 16, 2021, 7:30 am
BadnMean wrote: April 16, 2021, 6:48 am
BadnMean wrote:
Agreed. And Aekins needs to be good too.
Everything I've heard on Aekins from Penrif fans + his reggies performances suggest he'll be solid. He played an 8 game stretch for Penrif at FB and basically unanimously described as "Not bad. Just a position you want a bit of a star in." 6/7 out of 10s across the board. Was pretty good under the high ball and a reasonable kick returner. He might not be quite as strong a runner/worker as CNK and be a slightly better passer. Seems pretty consistent.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

All we really need for him in the next month or two is to hold our defence together reasonably well until Charnze gets back.

I'm not expecting us to beat the Eels this week or Souths in another three, but if we can get wins over the Cowboys, Knights and Bulldogs during that period I think we're still in pretty good stead for the Top 4.

Hopefully CNK will be back by the Storm game.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

A Penrith mate of mine swears Aekins is much much better then Edwards and Riff let the wrong guy go..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

I think there's enough improvement to be had across some other key positions in our team that we can still beat Eels and Souths without CNK, provided Aekins can be reasonably solid.

We really need Jack to be at his elite best in the coming weeks. For me thats the key now.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

What I saw of Aekins at Penrith he's exactly that - solid. Doesn't really stand out either good or bad. While he won't compete for Dally M points he's not going to let you down. That's what you generally want from a back up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Agreed NR.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Big game. A few points:

* CHN must come into the side. Unlike last week, where I was concerned with him marking up against Kikau, I wouldn’t mind seeing him at right second row with Hudson through the middle. Parra’s main strength is hard running and second phase from their middle forwards, Young can help contain that. CHN on the bench also provides more coverage, he is quicker than Whitehead and can do a stint in the centres if need be.
* With Brown suspended, Moses and Mahoney are their primary kickers. Need to be alert with Mahoney, markers need to stay alive and pressure on the 4th/5th, he has a decent kicking game. Brown is also a very good defender, something Will Smith is not. Good target for us.
* Kick to Ferguson on the last and get to him before he has a run up. He is much harder to contain on the second play compared to Sivo who seems to be avoiding a lot of the harder carries recently.
* Gutherson sweep play is their “go to” in the 20, mostly passing left to Sivo. Simonsson has to be up for a big game, and he and Scott need to be very in sync in defence.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

TongueFTW wrote: April 16, 2021, 8:51 am Big game. A few points:

* CHN must come into the side. Unlike last week, where I was concerned with him marking up against Kikau, I wouldn’t mind seeing him at right second row with Hudson through the middle. Parra’s main strength is hard running and second phase from their middle forwards, Young can help contain that. CHN on the bench also provides more coverage, he is quicker than Whitehead and can do a stint in the centres if need be.
* With Brown suspended, Moses and Mahoney are their primary kickers. Need to be alert with Mahoney, markers need to stay alive and pressure on the 4th/5th, he has a decent kicking game. Brown is also a very good defender, something Will Smith is not. Good target for us.
* Kick to Ferguson on the last and get to him before he has a run up. He is much harder to contain on the second play compared to Sivo who seems to be avoiding a lot of the harder carries recently.
* Gutherson sweep play is their “go to” in the 20, mostly passing left to Sivo. Simonsson has to be up for a big game, and he and Scott need to be very in sync in defence.
Scott reminds me of BJ in defense, jams in and doesn't know who to tackle
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

If scott and simonsson are pedestrian you have to move kris to the right at the expense of one of them.

This side cant afford kris not to be in there.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

To be fair to Curtis. The two games he played in good health we looked lively in attack- line breaks, try assists. He was doing his bit, ran for 100m + Not convinced about his defence but not about to write it off either yet, given his improved start to the year.

Simo is a bit pedestrian. But is Kris a winger? He'd need all those bomb catching and kick defence skills which I just don't know at all if he has.

Agree Kris has to be in there. I think bench would be a good choice since he can handle 2nd row and covers the backs (between the rest of the back 5 they have it covered). Doing that for a few weeks while the other centres are assessed would be reasonable. If he slots in at backrow a few times during that period then we might see if he goes well there regularly too. That provides more scope for getting him in the team, moving Young back to middle and saving money by moving CHN along if he's not going to fit into the club/plans.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Curtis did look vastly improved from last year, though last year was absolutely abysmal from him.

If he looks the goods thats fine keep him in the side, if hes off he should have some reggies with kris knocking on the door.

Also if hes good but simonsson and the side as a whole looks anemic in attack we have to look at what could be done to help that side including putting kris on that edge whether its at winger or centre...
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Seb kris has been good in his limited opportunities but some of you need to turn your EDIT down. Hes not the difference between a win and a loss for us
Dont delete this GE
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford

Post by Green Blogger »

I don't rate Parramatta as a top team. The word that I have used for the last year to describe their play in attack is 'frantic'. Last weekend against St George Vossy started calling their play as frantic in commentary which made me laugh.

That said, frantic ad libbing, non-structured teams are the ones that seem to give us the most trouble!
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Really hoping we see something along these lines tomorrow:
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
13. Tapine
20. Harawira-Naera
12. Whitehead
11. Young

14. Starling
15. Sutton
16/10. Havili/Soliola
17. Guler

18. Kris

CHN needs to come in. We need to start strong and that's the type of starting pack that could really trouble Parra. The combo of Papa, Taps and Young in the middle should get us rolling down the field nicely. My preference would be for Soliola to drop out but I don't see Ricky doing that so I would say Havili is the odd man out. Kris for 18th man as he provides some utility value.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on April 16, 2021, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

I agree with this. I’m not a fan of Tapine at 13. If he is going to play a prop role then have him at prop.

I would love to see Tapine as either a prop or on an edge. If he can’t defend on an edge then maybe he and young could alternate.

In attack: Young 13 Tapine 11
In defence Tapine 13 young 11

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Tapine has never really attacked well on the edge though. But he's been dynamic as a middle (prop and lock both). Since he's not amazing edge defender, then just play him in the middle where he just had the best and most consistent season of his career.

Attacking well in the middle doesn't necesssarily mean you attack well on the edge. Young is too fast and footwork too good for a few of those middles at times. But for an edge, he's back in the pack a bit in terms of speed and footwork- so you don't get the same output from him.

Or conversely, Whitehead attacks well on the edge because he's got a genuinely good pair of hands and awareness, so he can use that or sell his dummy and take off. People in the middle don't buy those dummies because there just isn't the threat of overlaps or fast moving backs. So we lose a little bit of his flair when he has played there.

It's a match up game as much as anything.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Guler and Aekins get their chance

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart says that the club's return to the NSW Cup is already proving its worth, just five weeks into the season.

Raiders prop forward Ryan James has been rested from Saturday night's match against the Parramatta Eels at Canberra Stadium after taking a couple of head knocks in the past few weeks.

Meanwhile, fullback Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad is facing an extended period on the sideline due to a bulging disc in his neck.

The Green Machine will draw on their NSW Cup ranks this weekend, bringing in Emre Guler to fill Ryan James' spot on the bench, while Caleb Aekins will slot in at fullback.

The Raiders have particularly strong depth in the forwards in 2021. Players with NRL experience like Guler, Corey Horsburgh and Corey Harawira-Naera have all started the season in NSW Cup - and have been pressing for selection in first grade. But competition for spots is fierce.

"Both Corey Horsburgh and Emre Guler have been playing NSW Cup for a reason," coach Ricky Stuart said today.

"They both had long lay offs last year with injury. They're both big men and they had to find their game conditioning again and a bit of rhythm."

"They both had leg injuries that kept them out. It just takes you a little bit of time, a little bit of football under your belt, to just get your timing right... mainly in defence, bringing the ball back into the line, along with attack."

"Emre has come on a little bit quicker and he gets his opportunity this week."

"I've given Ryan James a week off. He hasn't played a lot of football over the last two years. He's had a couple of bad head knocks the last three weeks, so it's just nice to be able to give him a break."

Stuart says that the inclusion of Aekins and Guler won't affect the team's preparations for the Eels.

"Nothing really changes from a preparation point of view, because the majority of the squad is with the full time top 30, or 36 with your development boys," Stuart said.

"What we've done this year, we've basically got all our NSW Cup players in our full time squad - with our top 36, plus a couple of Under 21s players coming up and playing as well."

"It just gives you a genuine second grade team. The boys love playing in the Raiders jumper. The one thing they were all excited about this year, when the club decided upon having a second grade team, was that we're playing for the Raiders. And I get that and I think it's really good."

"I'm certainly old school. We go back to look at years ago when we had third grade, second grade, first grade... or the Under 20s. It's good that the boys are wearing the Raiders jumper and they legitimately know they playing for a spot in first grade."

Stuart doesn't expect Caleb Aekins will come in for any special attention from the Eels. But he acknowledges that fullback is a critical, high pressure position in modern rugby league.

"I don't think he'll be targetted," Stuart said.

"Every fullback is obviously marked. Every fullback is an important part of the team... and I think it's even becoming more important."

"You look at all the teams that are doing very well, their fullbacks are very strong attacking players, they sort out your numbers from a strategic point of view, they sort our your numbers defensively around the goal line. They're an instrumental part of your team, both defence and attack."

"Caleb will take a little bit of time to find his feet and some combinations. But he's been training as a fullback with our halves, both sets of halves, right throughout the off season."

The Raiders still do not know how long Nicoll-Klokstad will be out. Depending on whether he needs surgery, he could be sidelined for a couple of months.

"We'll know more on Charzne over the next week. He's got some other [medical] opinions he's going to be seeking."

The Raiders are expecting a big crowd at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night, and possibly a record crowd for a clash with the Eels.

"It's great. I know it excites the players. I say that quite frequently, but it's just good to get back in front of crowds again," Stuart said.

"With our people, they are very loud, they're very passionate and I'm really looking forward to a big crowd and a really good game of football."

"Parramatta are playing good football. We will need to be at our very best to beat them and the support of the crowd is going to be a big help to us."

A report for The Greenhouse

VIDEO: Ricky Stuart speaks about preparations for Saturday's clash with the Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... ve-niggle/

VIDEO: Sia Soliola preparing for life after football: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... -football/

VIDEO: Jamie Soward takes a look at the match-up between the Raiders and Eels: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/15/rai ... --round-6/

GALLERY: Captain's run: Raiders v Eels: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... rs-v-eels/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Someone needs to tell Sowie that James is being rested.
Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

Hi guys,

Don’t know if this is the right place or not to offload tickets to the game against the eels tomorrow...

But I have two adult tickets in Bay 32 I need to sell as a few people can’t make it...

Adult ticket is $50 for this location but I’ll sell the two tickets for $80 all up...

Anyone interested, please message me...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jonalanat wrote: April 16, 2021, 3:37 pm Hi guys,

Don’t know if this is the right place or not to offload tickets to the game against the eels tomorrow...

But I have two adult tickets in Bay 32 I need to sell as a few people can’t make it...

Adult ticket is $50 for this location but I’ll sell the two tickets for $80 all up...

You might want to try The GH Facebook group as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1987987504759505
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Geez, how good is Kenny Nagas lookin ?
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Jonalanat
Noa Nadruku

Post by Jonalanat »

greeneyed wrote: April 16, 2021, 3:38 pm
Jonalanat wrote: April 16, 2021, 3:37 pm Hi guys,

You might want to try The GH Facebook group as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1987987504759505
Thanks
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Some great photos in the link of the Raiders at the captains run in the glorious Canberra autumn sunshine.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

24 hours before the game team news.

Frawley and Lui drop off the reserves bench for the Raiders.

Matterson ruled out for the Eels with his ongoing concussion problem. Papali’i into the starting lineup, and Haze Dunster onto the bench in jersey 19.

Joey Lussick is the other to drop off the extended bench.

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/04 ... rs-v-eels/

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2021/ ... round-six/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Why does this storm attack look like ours
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Beheaded fullbacks?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

George Williams not fazed by Canberra Raiders' mixed bag

Raiders halfback George Williams is not concerned by the side's mixed run of form to start the season but wants to build momentum against the Eels in Saturday's clash.

"It's only round five and that's the good thing. If we were putting these performances in towards the end of the season it would be worrying. As disappointing as our start has been we've got time to fix a few things but if we continue the way we're going the results won't change."

Rea more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/04/16/wil ... mixed-bag/
Johno
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Johno »

Be nice if in 4 weeks we are questioning if the Klok should be automatically back into the team.