Eels 13+
15%

Total votes: 20

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2020 Rd 6 V Eels: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by GreenMachine »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 13, 2021, 5:32 pm It is quite annoying that we actually have the personnel to freshen things up and also potentially give us a little more balance and dynamism (especially in the case of CHN) but we are going to keep sticking to the conservative, middle heavy Dad's Army.

Kris > Croker
Hors > Sia
CHN > Havili
pretty much nailed it.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Given how Hodgo looked at the end of the last match, he must be a long shot to play this week. Not sure of the extent of his hip injury but he was getting a lot of sideline attention. If he is out, then Havili to start and Starling to come on as the opposition big units start to tire out. It worked ok for us last year.

I will be very interested in the performance of Curtis Scott. Ribs are hard to get right and although he stayed on the field in his last match he could not perform as a FGer would want to. For those two reasons - doubts over Hodgo and Scott - I reckon Sticky will have Kris on the bench for sure. Nice to see Guler given an opportunity. Hopefully he has long minutes in those long legs.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

RedRaider wrote: April 13, 2021, 6:00 pm Given how Hodgo looked at the end of the last match, he must be a long shot to play this week. Not sure of the extent of his hip injury but he was getting a lot of sideline attention. If he is out, then Havili to start and Starling to come on as the opposition big units start to tire out. It worked ok for us last year.

I will be very interested in the performance of Curtis Scott. Ribs are hard to get right and although he stayed on the field in his last match he could not perform as a FGer would want to. For those two reasons - doubts over Hodgo and Scott - I reckon Sticky will have Kris on the bench for sure. Nice to see Guler given an opportunity. Hopefully he has long minutes in those long legs.
Agree.
Called it earlier...I reckon Hodgo is a chance to sit out due to injury. Maybe even Scott too.
That would see us bring CHN onto the bench, and possibly Kris at centre.
That's the only way I can rationalise these selections...
My alternative theory, is Ricky relying on the older legs at the start of the season with a view to using the younger guys at seasons end / finals. It's also a good way to rev the younger players up....maybe I'm giving Ricky too much credit.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

Good to see Aekins get first crack at the fullback spot. Go hard Caleb!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Rickmando wrote: April 13, 2021, 5:31 pm Rick is having an absolute giggle.

Kris - don’t drop him, don’t put him on the bench, don’t make him start as an edge back rower when he’s played centre all his life.

Put the #3 or #4 on his back and tell him he’s got the job. Reward him for seriously over performing in a backline full of under performers. It would also be a far better message to convey to the other young players trying to break into our first grade team - “give it your all, take your chance, and I’ll pick you on form”.

I don’t care which of our witches hat three-quarters he would have to drop to do it, but to not name Kris in there is stubborn blindness. What an arrogant p-Rick
That's what I'm most worried about here - the signal that it gives to the rest of the team. What kind of message does it send to them?

Hey guys, doesn't matter how you perform, if you aren't a favourite of mine or if I don't think you're innately better than the guy who's become available again, you'll be dropped no question.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

What a farce of a line up. Kris has been one of our best in the backline IMO.

Eels by 30.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Azza wrote: April 13, 2021, 6:44 pm What a farce of a line up. Kris has been one of our best in the backline IMO.

Eels by 30.
Disgusting isnt it...eels by 33.
This place is woke.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Dad's army and conservative is a good way of putting it.

This season really has the potential to go off the rails soon if we don't make obvious changes.

Can't wait for CHN, Horsburgh and Guler to seek greener pastures because we held on to Lui, Soliola and Havili too long.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

No idea what's going on in Ricky's head but I'm gonna assume that Hodgson is unavailable this week. Having two hookers on the interchange was a bad strategy - that should have been the first correction made. It's mindboggling how Kris misses out after that loss... he's one of the few in the backline delivering at the moment. We need to be more threatening with the ball in hand and omitting him just makes us less threatening. We're so stacked in the forwards yet we persist with playing guys like Soliola who really should only be named when we're short on troops due to injury or origin. I hope Ricky sees something I can't and proves me wrong with these selections but I have very little confidence.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I fully agree with those saying that Havili shouldn't be on the bench if Starling is included. There are better middles/backrowers.

Sebastian Kris very unlucky to be left out.

Ricky saying that Curtis Scott has to pass a fitness test on Wednesday... and Ryan James has had a couple of head knocks, so Ricky wants to give him a rest, doesn't want to burn him out too early in the season: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 13, 2021, 7:38 pm No idea what's going on in Ricky's head but I'm gonna assume that Hodgson is unavailable this week. Having two hookers on the interchange was a bad strategy - that should have been the first correction made. It's mindboggling how Kris misses out after that loss... he's one of the few in the backline delivering at the moment. We need to be more threatening with the ball in hand and omitting him just makes us less threatening. We're so stacked in the forwards yet we persist with playing guys like Soliola who really should only be named when we're short on troops due to injury or origin. I hope Ricky sees something I can't and proves me wrong with these selections but I have very little confidence.
Hodgson has definitely been cleared to play this week.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: April 13, 2021, 8:10 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: April 13, 2021, 7:38 pm No idea what's going on in Ricky's head but I'm gonna assume that Hodgson is unavailable this week. Having two hookers on the interchange was a bad strategy - that should have been the first correction made. It's mindboggling how Kris misses out after that loss... he's one of the few in the backline delivering at the moment. We need to be more threatening with the ball in hand and omitting him just makes us less threatening. We're so stacked in the forwards yet we persist with playing guys like Soliola who really should only be named when we're short on troops due to injury or origin. I hope Ricky sees something I can't and proves me wrong with these selections but I have very little confidence.
Hodgson has definitely been cleared to play this week.
If that's the case, I think it's insanity to select both Starling and Havili on the interchange again this week. If we're playing a game plan with a second hooker then Starling should stay. If we just need an option at hooker to cover for injury then Havili should stay. But one needs to go... it's a very poor use of the squad to use two of four spots on the bench to accommodate the two of them.
Last edited by Raiders_Pat on April 13, 2021, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I agree that the side named isn’t necessarily how I’d name it. But I’m not coach; I don’t see the boys train, their attitude, their individual tracking data from games, training etc.
One thing about Stick is he knows his players. From everything the players say he coaches ‘with’ them not ‘to’ them.

I always think back to the PAGE situation. We were screaming for him; carved it up in reggies, huge runs, big hits. Stuart was adamant he didn’t have the motor (tracking data stats) and what he saw at training (the whole picture) didn’t warrant selection.
Went to the Saints. Played one game, gassed after 10 min and went straight to QCup. (I think?)
So I’ll back the boss to know what he is doing with his team; the boss whose actual ass is on the line results rise.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
raider 86
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by raider 86 »

1. Caleb Aekins ( This guy goes alright and should be a better support player then CNK. CNK did and does to much dirty work and doesnt use his wingers enough)
2. Jordan Rapana / Bailey Simmonson (Right side, Id rather Simmo on the basis he doesnt do dumb things but Jordy is legandary)
3. Charnze Nicholl Klostad (Right side, Hes a damn centre. Look at his junior footy. He could also be one of the best centres)
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jarrod Croker / Semi Valemi (Left side, Again id rather Valemi as much as croker has been a legend we need more players with power)
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Joe Tapine
9. Josh Hodgson (Hodgo can spell Whitehead at Lock when starlo comes on
10. Josh Papalii
11. Corey Harawira Naera (Right side)
12. Hudson Young (Left Side) Hudson should be used as a whole runner on the inside off Jack. More threat provided.
13. Elliot Whitehead (We all love Smelly and hes done a banging job in the 2nd row and yes he has played 13 before but with the new rules and smelly being on the other side of 30 now I really feel like he could do the victor radley role just as well.)

14. Tom Starling (Play him from the 25th-30th minute mark untill the end in the 9)
15. Ryan Sutton / Emre Guler
16. Corey Horsbourgh / Emre Guler
17. Bailey Simmonson / Semi Valemi (We cant keep losing games due to backline players getting injured. Simmo has done the bench roll before well enough.)

18. Ryan James (first drop prop and rotation)

This is an example of how the team should start to re model itself. We have the players but perhaps we dont have the coach to get things done to suit the current game. I was at the penrith game live and even though the game changed once CNK went off it was so damn clear how the younger panthers players took the game once they started to hold the ball. We were only in the game while they kept making errors but once it was cleaned up our older players couldnt cut it. The team above has more youth mixed with the right amount of experince.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

When I check other teams lineups, most don't have a back on the bench actually. Maybe due to fatigue with the new rules, he thinks maximum number of forwards is best? And just take the hit if you happen to lose a back?

But then, it doesn't explain Starling's limited use. And we've got a guy in Kris who can play backs and forwards, can make good metres. It really seems a no-brainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Boy. The natives are restless!

This is beginning to be an interesting development.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:Boy. The natives are restless!

This is beginning to be an interesting development.
This is 13/14/15esk stuff

Not a gf backed up by a prelim..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I reckon the large amount of options in the forwards has stumped the coach.
He’s got to figure out the balance with the age groups we have.

Off-season must involve culling a few forwards for the benefit of signing some backs.

We don’t need million dollar signings, but we need something that’s above the level of the backline standard we currently have. The guys pushing through must clearly not be good enough for Ricky to rely on older and slow options like Rapana and Croker.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

While there are a couple puzzling selections some of the reaction here is probably a bit over the top. We are still early in the season and we have mostly been going pretty well, not really any need for wholesale changes at this point.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

GreenMachine wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:10 pm I reckon the large amount of options in the forwards has stumped the coach.
He’s got to figure out the balance with the age groups we have.

Off-season must involve culling a few forwards for the benefit of signing some backs.

We don’t need million dollar signings, but we need something that’s above the level of the backline standard we currently have. The guys pushing through must clearly not be good enough for Ricky to rely on older and slow options like Rapana and Croker.
I think the coach is picking what he feels is the best 17 each week based on what he wants for the game and the club. And that doesnt always align to what fans want.

He maybe wrong or right, but i dont think he's stumped. This is a veteran players coach.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

radicalraider wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:24 pm Watching 360 and I'm happy their giving it to the panthers for being arrogant and cocky ( Tapine saga).. really hope Creighton and Luai get Severely hurt in the coming rounds..
Yeah I just commented on the same under the Penrith game day posts. Very unlikeable team

They love themselves and boast, and I don't think they will win anyway at the end. Clearys are very unlikeable and arrogant. Crichton has done nothing.

I hope we play them in the semis; there's scores to settle - not dumb ones like what Roosters did to Jai Arrow but we can beat these pr@#ks
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:55 pm
radicalraider wrote: April 13, 2021, 9:24 pm Watching 360 and I'm happy their giving it to the panthers for being arrogant and cocky ( Tapine saga).. really hope Creighton and Luai get Severely hurt in the coming rounds..
Yeah I just commented on the same under the Penrith game day posts. Very unlikeable team

They love themselves and boast, and I don't think they will win anyway at the end. Clearys are very unlikeable and arrogant. Crichton has done nothing.

I hope we play them in the semis; there's scores to settle - not dumb ones like what Roosters did to Jai Arrow but we can beat these pr@#ks
What's their forum called?
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Raiders666 wrote: April 13, 2021, 5:19 pm I'm Rickys biggest fan but his team selection this year has been ordinary to say the least. He bangs on about competition for spots but it's only the forwards who get dropped for not performing.
Croker has been ordinary and Rapana hasn't been far behind..Simmo is basically a ghost on the field.
Soliola and Havilli getting gigs over CHN, Guler and Horse? Really?
Then he goes and drops one of our best players In Kris ?? What's the point in having all this depth and not dropping players who are out of form?
Pretty much.

He is just too loyal sometimes.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote:I've changed my mind a bit. Barring injury:

1. Caleb Aekins
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson (c)
10. Ryan Sutton
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Sebastian Kris
15. Siliva Havili
16. Corey Harawira-Naera
17. Ryan James

CHN coming on into the 2nd row after about 25mins with Young moving to the middle.
Yeah. That’s one fine looking bench.

WHY DOESN’T MINE LOOK LIKE THAT?!
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Can anyone tell me what the plan is if we lose a back to a HIA? I assume Whitehead goes to centre but who comes on the play the Edge? We don’t have an edge forward on the bench?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’ll be very disappointed if that’s the bench. It’s a no brained for Kris to replace Starling and be a utility if he’s not at centre.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LastRaider wrote: April 14, 2021, 6:40 am Can anyone tell me what the plan is if we lose a back to a HIA? I assume Whitehead goes to centre but who comes on the play the Edge? We don’t have an edge forward on the bench?!?!?

This issue got exposed only last week when we lost CNK. Whitehead moved to centre and Havili to edge. Kris or CHN on the bench is essential IMO.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I would have CHN on the bench ahead of Kris. One is a centre who can play back row. The other is a backrower who can play centre. You are guaranteed to need the forward in your bench rotation, not necessarily the back.

I have been a bit surprised by the comments on Kris. Firstly, that it was such a surprise he was able to make the team round 1. People forget, he was in our 21 man squad for a Grand Final, he has been a gun junior all the way through. Things clearly got too much last year and he needed to reassess whether he wanted to be a professional athlete but once he decided he was committed I am not surprised he made it back.

But on the flip side I also think he has been good rather than as great as some people have made out. I think he has started well in most games but faded out in nearly all of them.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

Kris is looking good. But he's still getting used to the demands of the NRL after a year out.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

Bay53 wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:37 am I would have CHN on the bench ahead of Kris. One is a centre who can play back row. The other is a backrower who can play centre. You are guaranteed to need the forward in your bench rotation, not necessarily the back.

I have been a bit surprised by the comments on Kris. Firstly, that it was such a surprise he was able to make the team round 1. People forget, he was in our 21 man squad for a Grand Final, he has been a gun junior all the way through. Things clearly got too much last year and he needed to reassess whether he wanted to be a professional athlete but once he decided he was committed I am not surprised he made it back.

But on the flip side I also think he has been good rather than as great as some people have made out. I think he has started well in most games but faded out in nearly all of them.
Agreed with all of this
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Northern Raider wrote:
LastRaider wrote: April 14, 2021, 6:40 am Can anyone tell me what the plan is if we lose a back to a HIA? I assume Whitehead goes to centre but who comes on the play the Edge? We don’t have an edge forward on the bench?!?!?

This issue got exposed only last week when we lost CNK. Whitehead moved to centre and Havili to edge. Kris or CHN on the bench is essential IMO.
Yeah I know. Havilli got caught out so many times, it was a disaster

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: April 13, 2021, 6:00 pm Given how Hodgo looked at the end of the last match, he must be a long shot to play this week. Not sure of the extent of his hip injury but he was getting a lot of sideline attention. If he is out, then Havili to start and Starling to come on as the opposition big units start to tire out. It worked ok for us last year.

Last time I saw Parra play they had Niukore lining up on the side vs Scott at centre, he can certainly lay a tackle on. Punishing defender. Former backrower, big bloke so I'd say Curtis' ribs will get a good test. Curtis was in good form this year, I hope the ribs don't hold him back.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Bay53 wrote: April 14, 2021, 7:37 am I would have CHN on the bench ahead of Kris. One is a centre who can play back row. The other is a backrower who can play centre. You are guaranteed to need the forward in your bench rotation, not necessarily the back.

I think all our outside backs are that bad they make Kris look like Mal Meninga
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

We can pick holes in the bench all day. We can say we look old and slow (we do) or that we need more punch (we do)

But issue number 1 is that its a bench that leaves us in big trouble if we sustain an injury anywhere that isn't a middle third player. An injury to a backrower or outside back puts Havili in the backrow and if he is there for any length of time he gets seriously gassed. His almost at times non-existent defense against the Warriors along with Scotts broken rib made us extremely vulnerable to the ball being shifted to that edge.

I have a lot of time for Havili and I think he has put in for the club. I don't blame him for the warriors game. That is what it is. A player is capped by his physical limitations. The guy can fill in the backrow for a period of time but for long stretches I would worry.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Despite the selections i still think we win this game.. I just don't think we are anywhere near as good as we can be