CHN and Horsburgh

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: CHN and Horsburgh

Post by rayden83 »

gergreg wrote: April 10, 2021, 8:40 pm If you're going to this level of effort than post up the 'season review' data for Corey as a comparison. You know... to back up your original claim.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
We have to wait until the season is done to make a comparable analysis. If he turns on the afterburners it could be a close race.

On another matter, Friday nights game was made for guys Hors and CHN. Panthers totally bullied us and we needed some agro up the middle to counter their dominance. If this is what it’s going to be like come finals time, this is a perfect reason why CHN and Hors need to be playing. It’s all well and good to unleash beasts like James and Sia against pitter patter opposition like the Sharks but against the elite teams you need warriors.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

The Nickman wrote:Narrator: he was not winning the battle.
I'm subscibing to your newsletter Image

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

The Nickman wrote: April 10, 2021, 11:44 pm Narrator: he was not winning the battle.
Sure is some next level denial going on.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote:
The Nickman wrote: April 10, 2021, 11:44 pm Narrator: he was not winning the battle.
More goalpost moving than Botpig in full flight right now.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

So taking this whole thing back a step or two, did anyone see NSW Cup this week and see how Hors played? Can see that he scored a try in a loss but no idea on individual stats further than that.

CHN as 18th man this week may be a sign that he's closing in on a spot again. Interested to know if Hors has form right now to be knocking on the door as well.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:29 am
Northern Raider wrote:
More goalpost moving than Botpig in full flight right now.
Nah, not quite up there with the master. Botman has a set of goal posts fixed in the tray if his ute for quick, responsive relocations. I've often seen them shift dramatically while the ball is in flight, sailing toward the black dot.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

hobbsy wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:32 am So taking this whole thing back a step or two, did anyone see NSW Cup this week and see how Hors played? Can see that he scored a try in a loss but no idea on individual stats further than that.

CHN as 18th man this week may be a sign that he's closing in on a spot again. Interested to know if Hors has form right now to be knocking on the door as well.
Didn't watch it but his stats on NRL.com suggest he put in a huge effort.

19 runs, 160+ metres, 51 tackles, couple of offloads. Came with his usual handling error and penalty. That's Hors. His play the ball time is eye catching, quickest on the whole team (let alone forwards) and by a significant margin. Suggests he was making an impact and working for the team.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

I think Horse can bring more to the team tham Sia right now. Both will take the tough runs. Horse has Sia covered with workload and creativity with late offloads. Sia has Horse covered for ball security and discipline. Both will do the job defensively. Comes down to whether you want the x-factor with Horse or the steadying influence of Sia.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

rayden83 wrote:
gergreg wrote: April 10, 2021, 8:40 pm If you're going to this level of effort than post up the 'season review' data for Corey as a comparison. You know... to back up your original claim.

We have to wait until the season is done to make a comparable analysis. If he turns on the afterburners it could be a close race.

On another matter, Friday nights game was made for guys Hors and CHN. Panthers totally bullied us and we needed some agro up the middle to counter their dominance. If this is what it’s going to be like come finals time, this is a perfect reason why CHN and Hors need to be playing. It’s all well and good to unleash beasts like James and Sia against pitter patter opposition like the Sharks but against the elite teams you need warriors.
Nobody's got time for this garbage!

I don't think there is a single poster who doesn't see some real promising signs for Horse but he is not in the same class as Papa. We all hope he reaches Papa like levels but ... urgh I've got better things to do than respond in any further detail.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

This was a fun read. Well done Rayden on successfully navigating the pile on - which was entirely predictable given the respect with which Paps is deservedly held.

In the end this is an argument that only time will sort out, because talent is ultimately judged by how it turns into achievement. No matter how good Paps was at 23, we know how good he became and it's 100-1 Hors (or any 23 yo 1st grader) reaches Papa heights. But I for one hope Rayden is correct.

BTW: I think Hors has more athletic ability (and ability in general) that some people here are suggesting. Emotional control is a legitimate concern, but at 23 that should sort itself out
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Boomercm wrote: April 11, 2021, 2:50 pm This was a fun read. Well done Rayden on successfully navigating the pile on - which was entirely predictable given the respect with which Paps is deservedly held.
Yay a friend
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Full credit to Rayden83 for sticking to his guns with an unpopular opinion. I don't necessarily agree but it certainly isn't as ludicrous a take as is being made out. I'm a massive Horse fan. And there's no way he should ever be out of our 17 when available. Everyone loves Sia but there's no way he offers more in the middle at this stage of his career than Horse would. I'll be very disappointed if he isn't named tomorrow.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

greeneyed wrote: April 9, 2021, 7:42 pm Any more name calling, the thread is locked. This isn’t Facebook.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And here I am trying to like each comment
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Horsburgh’s stats v Eels NSWRL

67 minutes
21 runs
210 metres
81 post contact metres
1 offload
30 tackles

Those are ridiculous stats, particularly the post contact metres, that’s an extra 4m gained per hit up. It’s insane that he’s not in the side, and I feel it has less to do with past indiscretions and more to do with Ricky being loyalz to his best mate Sia. If you cannot see that Hors is a champion in the making then you are blind as a bat.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

He's definitely got it all over Sia atm. Can't argue that.

Who do you reckon was better at 23, Rayden: Sia or Horse?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:35 pm Who was better at 23, Rayden: Sia or Horse?
Papalii. And if you cannot see that then you are blind as a bat.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:36 pm
afgtnk wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:35 pm Who was better at 23, Rayden: Sia or Horse?
Ok. What about Papalii at 23 and Lui at 31 with a 100% win record in 2021?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:39 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:36 pm
Ok. What about Papalii at 23 and Lui at 31 with a 100% win record in 2021?
Lui, definitely. Papalii at 23 didn't win a single game in 2021.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

afgtnk wrote: April 19, 2021, 4:35 pm He's definitely got it all over Sia atm. Can't argue that.

Who do you reckon was better at 23, Rayden: Sia or Horse?
Sia played mostly centre at the Roosters, so it’s a futile comparison. If he played second row it would be an entirely different story since it’s much easier to compare forwards with other forwards than backs.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Who's better at 23?

Rayden83 or GE?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:Who's better at 23?

Rayden83 or GE?
Was the GH around in the Stone Age?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: April 19, 2021, 7:06 pm

Rayden83 or GE?

This is the genius in the question

For GE, we havent seen enough. We definitely cant say how good he was at 23. The ceiling is the roof!
And Rayden is 10 years off being 23, who knows where he'll be then
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: April 19, 2021, 7:02 pm Who's better at 23?

Rayden83 or GE?
What are we basing this on - 30 metre passing ability, or character flaws?

Or both?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Get them down to the park to find out

rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Botman wrote: April 19, 2021, 7:09 pm

Rayden83 or GE?

For GE, we havent seen enough. We definitely cant say how good he was at 23. The ceiling is the roof!
Hopefully with much less than 20,000+ posts on an Internet forum. You should consider getting some help.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

rayden83 wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:10 pm
Botman wrote: April 19, 2021, 7:09 pm

Rayden83 or GE?

Hopefully with much less than 20,000+ posts on an Internet forum. You should consider getting some help.
Oh my dear sweet, prince. It's much more than that.
But i promise you, young fella. Ain't no one got it better than me.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ok... 6 pages, got a bit weird there for a while, but it but the story caught up eventually, and now im all caught up.

Matts matchups:
Papa vs Horse. Its not even a contest. I do believe Horse was going to be a walk up start for QLD last yr though.

Nickman hates Suttgod and Horse, and he should be ashamed.

Now, let's get back to the Q at hand...

Horses dad made a very reasonable statistical argument for Horses inclusion.

"Last two games nsw cup, 40 hit ups 374 metres ,81 tackles 4 misses I think 93%, 3 off loads 4 tackle breaks 1 try ,1 penalty , 2 mistakes.120 minutes of rugby league..."

Now... we all remember Shaun 'box scores Fensom. I loved that bloke. You could see the effort, you could see the stats, you thought you knew the outcome. Well, ATM, the same can be said for Horse. There are 2 things at play here ATM, the 1st, and his dad confirmed this too, he is battling back from that lisfranc injury, which is obviously still nagging at him a little. The problem is?!? He isnt "The Big Red Fire Engine" ATM. Sure, you have to control the aggression, but ATM, there isn't any at all. He needs to find that 'punch' when carrying the rock, and that 'sting' in defense.

That said, Horse needs to be in our top 18 at worst. He is better than all 3 of our "older heads" in Sia, Lui and James. I love that James seems to be here to pickup Sias 'spiritual leader' mantle, but that also means a big off field, but training paddock, player coach type gig, who plays a couple of games every 4 or 5 wks. The other 2 are done. Depth only.

As for the other Corey... well, most have probably seen my rant in the Cows team thread. He needs to be there. We all said it last yr, CHN was to be our Kik, Fifita, etc. He has served his time, and bashed down the door down over the last 3wks for reselection. 4 tries in 3wks, I think its 3 try assists, and 3 linebreaks too. So BEASTMODE!

Im sure its unpopular, but I want CHN to start on the edge, meaning Young to move to lock, so I can split Tapine and Papa over the 80mins. Giving us good go forward and an offload threat the whole game. This way Huddo can return to being the 2nd coming of Clyde.

The final twist is... moving CHN to our strongest side, the left. Just like Kik at Panthers, Fifita at Titans, and as we saw, Papali'i at Eels. This will create more space for Jack and Croker IMO, as defenders have a big body backrower AND 5/8 to counter. Meaning someone will be 1 on 1, or running into a gap due to over reads. This moves Whitehead to the right, thus adding a ball player who might actually provide some attacking ball to our right edge, who have been catching colds for 2yrs.

So....

8. Papa
9. Hodgo
10. Suttgod
11. CHN
12. Whitey
13. Young

14. Havili/Starling
15. Horse
16. Tapine
17. Guler
18. James
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

What’s that? A pc rig customised for posting on GH all day? Got any pics?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

rayden83 wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:29 pm What’s that? A pc rig customised for posting on GH all day? Got any pics?
When you're old enough to know, you'll know ;)
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Botman wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:36 pm
rayden83 wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:29 pm What’s that? A pc rig customised for posting on GH all day? Got any pics?
When you're old enough to know, you'll know ;)
Sure bud 😂
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Matt wrote: April 19, 2021, 8:27 pm Ok... 6 pages, got a bit weird there for a while, but it but the story caught up eventually, and now im all caught up.

Matts matchups:
Papa vs Horse. Its not even a contest.
Yuck. I guess Ill have to wait for Hors to start putting in 200m+ shifts for the first team before revisiting this thread. I will be vindicated.

Plus he’s my son and I love him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: April 19, 2021, 7:09 pm For GE, we havent seen enough. We definitely cant say how good he was at 23.
Oh, I was good.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

20m spirals, all three sides
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Let’s just say GE in his prime would put afbgnfkfkfff and his mates down the park to shame.