Panthers 13+
33%

Total votes: 12

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: 2021 Rd 5 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:06 am What a soft penalty it was too. Shoves like that on the tackling player happen 10 times a game and you almost never see the attacking team penalised.

I’d have to look again but it’s not like Hudson runs in, he’s there and shoves Kikau due to him dropping the shoulder and contacting Rapana in the head.

The onfield ref made a **** call. The video ref looked for the first thing he could find that kept the result the same.
i dont think there was much in it. Seemed like to me a classic case for the ref to tell everyone to calm down, and play on
But whilst shoves like that happen all the time, it's rare they then evolve into the "HOLD ME BACK" shirt grabbing from all parties like it did. And when it does, it's not uncommon at all that the person instigating it, in this instance Young, is the one penalised
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

BadnMean wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:08 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 10, 2021, 9:39 am
There is a 3rd option. Second phase play from an offload. Reckon that creates more tries than sweep/block plays these days.
In that case we want CHN in the team pronto. He's honestly one of the best offloads in the game. It's a real feature. We'd need halves and CNK to be smart in backing up off him.

The other guy with an offload in his game is Hors. Trade steady old Sia in for crazyhorse is an option.
True. CHN and Horse could open up second phase for sure

I think Sticky likes a rolls sleeves up type pack though. Not sure
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Ramping up our support and offloading play is probably the best way for us to optimise our elite forward pack and cover up our backline deficiencies.

However we seriously do lack speed in support play.

Who are our zippy players to capitalise on chances? Off the top of my head George and CNK seem to be the only ones I can remember who have played that support role in the past. Both aren’t slouches but they aren’t exactly JAC or Papenhuyzen.

We have a dire need for speed. Now.
Up The Milk
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:06 am
Botman wrote:
Wiki Special wrote: April 10, 2021, 8:43 am
Botman wrote: April 9, 2021, 8:33 pm That’s on Young I’m afraid
He gave up possession because he couldn’t manage his emotions in game

Whitehead trying to defend out wide is a problem
Just re-reading the Topic, I thought the game turning penalty when in possession was for Rapana 'lashing' out with his feet. That was what Sutton originally said but I was at a mates place and lots of chatter. Was it for Young coming in?
Yeah the referee initially asked the video ref to look at rapana lashing out with his foot, but after review on the telecast you heard and saw the official explaining to Hodgson that the penalty was going against us for Young coming in as a 3rd man
What a soft penalty it was too. Shoves like that on the tackling player happen 10 times a game and you almost never see the attacking team penalised.

I’d have to look again but it’s not like Hudson runs in, he’s there and shoves Kikau due to him dropping the shoulder and contacting Rapana in the head.

The onfield ref made a **** call. The video ref looked for the first thing he could find that kept the result the same.
Yep. Happens a lot and rarely gets penalised. There was only grabbing and harsh words. Same thing happened after Panthers scored in the corner and Crichton inexplicably grabbed Tapine around the head and dragged him into team celebrations. Ref didn't take the try off them and penalise Crichton.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Botman wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:08 am
gangrenous wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:02 am What is the reason why Wighton can’t run the fullback role in a sweep play?
I remember having this discussion before and there is no reason we cant do it, and they are doing some stuff like that, we see a lot more of Jack and George linking up than almost any other club. And for the most part that's where we look more dangerous in structure.., how successful will it be long term if that become the standard look for us? Im not sure.

Because now the defence can adjust numbers to which ever side of the ball Jack is on, because chances are that's where the footy is headed. You'd probably have CNK playing short side "half" and when they go short side, you're looking for Hodgson to draw defenders and CNK or his outside men to break tackles one on one, since the numbers are probably on the open side. Also could be useful with Hodgson kicking out of hooker close to the line for CNK, because the fullback will likely cheat to the open side where Jack is

It's something i do think we should be exploring. Because at this point we have nothing to lose.
That's the part that changed though towards the end of last season though, seemingly born as a result of the issue we were having when CNK was second receiver. If you remember, they were barely linking up before that - standard split halves in the modern game. They look good in doing so but I agree, I don't know if that can last long term.

The problem I have is that you need a second receiver on both sides of the ruck, and both halves can't play on both sides. There's no mechanism to get the ball out to the fringes on the right specifically because of this it seems.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Stephen Crichton grade 1 contrary conduct charge from last night - for grabbing Tapine
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

gangrenous wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:02 am What is the reason why Wighton can’t run the fullback role in a sweep play?
What's wrong with Wighton doing that from fullback (and defending from fullback for that matter) when CNK goes off injured?

Apparently everything, according to Stick.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:31 am Stephen Crichton grade 1 contrary conduct charge from last night - for grabbing Tapine
That moment epitomised why I don't like watching Penrith win. They are a good team, but completely arrogant and immature.

It will be good to play them again in the finals, if we have a fit team.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

That loss was hard last night, but I can honestly say I was proud to be a raider and not a panthers bogan.
I will say it now penrith will not win the grand final this year nor even be in it.
And i will happily laugh at all their players and fans like I did Grand Final day last year.

The treatment of our players by the panthers players and fans was atrocious. From them booing us off at half time, the viking clap and name calling all game was awful. I have never seen a crowd so bad.
The disrespect and dirty tactics of the panthers was ridiculous. From the Tapine incident when he wasnt even on the field, and big mouthing to croker and co was tasteless and reeks of a team ready for a big fall.

Storm and Roosters have achieved a lot more then they have and had a lot more consistent success yet you don't see them carry on like that.

The old saying goes you dont win a premiership in April but you can lose it. Panthers may have won the battle last night but they also blew their chances of in the war

On a side note it was touching to see the English boys get black arm bands on after Prince Philip passed.
Vaccinated
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:12 am
BadnMean wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:08 am
Northern Raider wrote: April 10, 2021, 9:39 am
There is a 3rd option. Second phase play from an offload. Reckon that creates more tries than sweep/block plays these days.
In that case we want CHN in the team pronto. He's honestly one of the best offloads in the game. It's a real feature. We'd need halves and CNK to be smart in backing up off him.

The other guy with an offload in his game is Hors. Trade steady old Sia in for crazyhorse is an option.
True. CHN and Horse could open up second phase for sure

I think Sticky likes a rolls sleeves up type pack though. Not sure
I think that is what we are all hoping for from CHN. It would be a point of difference in our attack, but it's hard when Young is such a great defender on the edge. You weaken one aspect to hopefully improve another.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The penalty that went against Hudson Young for running in, was most certainly the wrong call in my view. Kikau instigated it, with a dangerous flop on Rapana, led with the shoulder and put a forearm into Rapana's face. At the very least, that's a penalty. The bloke had already wiped out CNK. I see the match review committee has let him off: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news ... ct-charge/
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2021 Rd 5 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:The penalty that went against Hudson Young for running in, was most certainly the wrong call in my view. Kikau instigated it, with a dangerous flop on Rapana, led with the shoulder and put a forearm into Rapana's face. At the very least, that's a penalty. The bloke had already wiped out CNK. I see the match review committee has let him off: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news ... ct-charge/
Agree, I don’t see how the video ref watches that and concludes that Young is the instigator.

As I said before, more a case of supporting the on field ref than getting the right result IMO.

Having said that I agree with Botman that the Raiders generally need to work on responding in ways that won’t get you penalised when opponents are niggling
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

cat wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:49 am That loss was hard last night, but I can honestly say I was proud to be a raider and not a panthers bogan.
I will say it now penrith will not win the grand final this year nor even be in it.
And i will happily laugh at all their players and fans like I did Grand Final day last year.

The treatment of our players by the panthers players and fans was atrocious. From them booing us off at half time, the viking clap and name calling all game was awful. I have never seen a crowd so bad.
The disrespect and dirty tactics of the panthers was ridiculous. From the Tapine incident when he wasnt even on the field, and big mouthing to croker and co was tasteless and reeks of a team ready for a big fall.

Storm and Roosters have achieved a lot more then they have and had a lot more consistent success yet you don't see them carry on like that.

The old saying goes you dont win a premiership in April but you can lose it. Panthers may have won the battle last night but they also blew their chances of in the war

On a side note it was touching to see the English boys get black arm bands on after Prince Philip passed.
I agree with a lot of what youre saying..

Except i think panthers win this year. Both attack and defence is second to none.

Their ego is evident. That tells us they are confident which can fuel success over the short term. Tough times will come and that ego is a hindrance to overcoming.

Disrespect of players inparticular shows lack of character.. another thing that can break success and bread bad culture. They have enough smarts and will mature i would think.

We have a simple challenge: to evolve our attack and pick the players that have the right attitude to continue our resilience in Dbut also have the pace (backs) to score tries.
thedevilingreen
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by thedevilingreen »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 10, 2021, 6:29 am I haven't seen the game, but flicking through this thread it is clear to me that having lost to last year's grandfinalists, the red hot, undefeated premiership favourites, this team is trash and life is no longer worth living.
You forgot Williams is the new sezer
Always be yourself.... Unless you can be batman.... Then you should always be batman
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Raider Azz wrote: April 10, 2021, 8:52 am
Sterlk wrote:Bit annoyed by the viking clap taunt. You expect low-class out of that area, though it wouldn't be nearly so aggravating if they didn't put themselves so firmly in the driver's seat through foul play.
I wouldn't be too bothered by that. All that proves is we got a great thing with the Viking clap and they wish they had something similar.

Instead all they have is that horrible panther "roar" that plays over the speakers 100 times a game

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
Fans just like the team - cocky arrogant ****heads. Crichton sure had a big mouth on him in the second half for someone who was one of the worst players on the field in the first. Look at that incident with Tapine.

They sure carry on like crazy for a team that choked hard in the GF last year. Poor winners.

But it's just jealousy. We have the clap and create an amazing game-day atmosphere unrivalled by any club, and they know it.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little better this morning. We were competitive early, and the turning point was Kikau being a filthy dirtbag and not getting consequences for it, so. We still should have kept our composure, but it's only round five. As I said last night, if we only beat them once this year, let's make it in October.

Now please let's beat Parra next week, I can't stand that lot of pretenders.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

benda wrote: April 10, 2021, 11:28 am
cat wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:49 am That loss was hard last night, but I can honestly say I was proud to be a raider and not a panthers bogan.

I agree with a lot of what youre saying..

Except i think panthers win this year. Both attack and defence is second to none.

Their ego is evident. That tells us they are confident which can fuel success over the short term. Tough times will come and that ego is a hindrance to overcoming.

Disrespect of players inparticular shows lack of character.. another thing that can break success and bread bad culture. They have enough smarts and will mature i would think.

We have a simple challenge: to evolve our attack and pick the players that have the right attitude to continue our resilience in Dbut also have the pace (backs) to score tries.
With Cleary as coach the attitude won't change, he is as bad if not worse then the players and fans especially since he really hasn't achieved much yet.

Can you imagine Ricky, Bellamy, Bennett or even Nathan Brown let their team carry on like that?

With cockyness like that the fall will be hard
Vaccinated
Finite
David Furner

Post by Finite »

Botman wrote: April 10, 2021, 7:31 am I woke up this morning and my overwhelming thought is the same
We’re going to be ok

We might not win the premiership this year, but nothing I saw last night suggested we can’t win it if we get a bit of luck at the right time
We’ve got some work to do but we’ve got a season ahead to do it

And my god, this 18th man rule is so ridiculously dumb
I can’t believe they’ve gone down this path when other solutions are so much simpler and easier
Agreed, the first 25 mins of that game and sections of the 2nd half showed that Penrith are beatable if you can match their intensity especially in defence. They play very fast and still with structure and when it comes off its incredibly impressive. That being said last night showed that if you can hold the ball, not give them too many opportunities close to the line, and get an even run of ref calls they aren't unbeatable.

They looked vulnerable up the middle at times. Our defence needs more work too, these players coming off their line to try and make one on one shots needs to stop.

Don't understand the Williams hate all players had some bad moments, I thought he had some great kicks and runs and was good in defence but would like to see him take more control of the team. James was very good too, probably his best game for us. This game also highlights how much work CNK does in defence. I understand the concern around him being more involved in attack but defensively he is excellent.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

It might just be a coincidence, but reading this forum, every team that beats us seem to be a bunch of **** heads, with the worst supporters ever.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 10, 2021, 10:51 am
I think that is what we are all hoping for from CHN. It would be a point of difference in our attack, but it's hard when Young is such a great defender on the edge. You weaken one aspect to hopefully improve another.
Young is the better edge defender, but he's also a good middle defender. And I think last night showed we may be better off having the ability to take more advantage or pose more threat when we DO have the ball. It can change the face of a game. It's almost impossible to defend for prolonged periods when we have no momentum ourselves.

If we can't score 4 tries a game we have ver limited ways to win those big matches.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote:
greeneyed wrote:The penalty that went against Hudson Young for running in, was most certainly the wrong call in my view. Kikau instigated it, with a dangerous flop on Rapana, led with the shoulder and put a forearm into Rapana's face. At the very least, that's a penalty. The bloke had already wiped out CNK. I see the match review committee has let him off: https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news ... ct-charge/
Agree, I don’t see how the video ref watches that and concludes that Young is the instigator.

As I said before, more a case of supporting the on field ref than getting the right result IMO.

Having said that I agree with Botman that the Raiders generally need to work on responding in ways that won’t get you penalised when opponents are niggling
I agree. Cardinal sin to give away a penalty while in possession.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote:It might just be a coincidence, but reading this forum, every team that beats us seem to be a bunch of **** heads, with the worst supporters ever.
I don’t think that’s true. I’d say I’ve had some poor experiences at a few away venues. And those are the ones that repeatedly crop up. The Sharks and Panthers are a couple.

You seem to be suggesting that’s not the case... but genuine question... how often do you visit away venues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The video ref reviewed the footage, he sees a player complete a tackle as he’s entitled to do

Did he need to do it so forcefully on a prone player who has basically surrendered? No
But it’s within his rights to do so, even if it is a touch grubby

If there is contact to the head it’s not forceful and is incidental, and then he sees Young come in and cause a stink

That’s how we got here. You might disagree with his assessment on head contact, I personally agree with that assessment.

But whatever the case is, the one thing we can control in this instance is our composure and ensuring we are not reacting to line ball things in a way that hurts our team

Hudson Young showed again last night that he’s too strong and fast for even good packs to contain him as a ball runner
The defensive job he did on Kikau was as good as you’d have probably hope to get on a player of his ability and but he needs to get this and some of his silly penalties out of his game
It’s hurting our team
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

“If there is contact to the head”

There is no if. Very clear contact to the head
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Ok fine, there is contact to the head in that someone physically touched his head
Which happens in almost every tackle

The contact in my view, it was incidental and not forceful enough to warrant either a penalty or the reaction.
A view the officials, and as best I could tell looking through LU this morning, most neutral observers share

I don’t really want to waste time going back and forth on this and we know from history you and I will never agree on this

Whether that was worth a penalty or not, one thing is absolutely not up for debate, and that is Hudson Young has no business running in there and causing a stink and risking a loss of possession because he’s upset
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Dr Zaius wrote: April 10, 2021, 12:19 pm It might just be a coincidence, but reading this forum, every team that beats us seem to be a bunch of **** heads, with the worst supporters ever.
No.

I have been to away games against every team in NSW and been to Bluebet many times.

Panthers fans are comfortably the worst. Highly belligerent and there are always heroes who stand in front of the Raiders section and try and goad our fans into fights. Every single
time.

Magnanimity is not a word in Penriths lexicon, notwithstanding that most of them wouldn’t know what the word means.
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:Ok fine, there is contact to the head in that someone physically touched his head
Which happens in almost every tackle

The contact in my view, it was incidental and not forceful enough to warrant either a penalty or the reaction.
A view the officials, and as best I could tell looking through LU this morning, most neutral observers share

I don’t really want to waste time going back and forth on this and we know from history you and I will never agree on this

Whether that was worth a penalty or not, one thing is absolutely not up for debate, and that is Hudson Young has no business running in there and causing a stink and risking a loss of possession because he’s upset
Go back and watch the second replay from behind. There’s quite a bit of force hitting Rapana in the head.
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

As long as the team doesn't panic as much as the gh I think we will do ok we've usually been worse at this time of year than last night's game I'm less worried after last night than I was beforehand ironically..

we aren't at the Penrith level.. everything has to go right to beat them atm for most teams not just us..

Play at our potential with the bounce of the ball going our way and it's a lot closer than that scoreline suggests

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

2021 Rd 5 V Panthers: Game Day

Post by gangrenous »

I think the most disappointing play of the night for me was Williams giving away the first obstruction penalty. That was clear cut not knowing the rules of the game and unacceptable for a professional athlete.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: April 10, 2021, 1:02 pm Go back and watch the second replay from behind. There’s quite a bit of force hitting Rapana in the head.
Oh ****! I didnt think of that at all. Watching a replay... well this changes everything! :P

I've watched the replay's from all angles mate, several times last night on the broadcast and post match, and again this morning.
I dont think Kikau's actions warranted a penalty. Now i dont know that Young's did either, as said, i think it was probably best handled by the officials telling everyone to settle down and the Raiders play the ball. But the NRL is very concerned about 3rd men coming in and esculating a situation needlessly, and have been for a while now.

If this was an isolated incident, fine. But Young has a bad form line for some less than savoury actions on the field and is prone to give away really stupid penalties. He needs to get it out of his game.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: April 10, 2021, 1:19 pm
gangrenous wrote: April 10, 2021, 1:02 pm Go back and watch the second replay from behind. There’s quite a bit of force hitting Rapana in the head.
Oh ****! I didnt think of that at all. Watching a replay... well this changes everything! :P

I've watched the replay's from all angles mate, several times last night on the broadcast and post match, and again this morning.
I dont think Kikau's actions warranted a penalty. Now i dont know that Young's did either, as said, i think it was probably best handled by the officials telling everyone to settle down and the Raiders play the ball. But the NRL is very concerned about 3rd men coming in and esculating a situation needlessly, and have been for a while now.

If this was an isolated incident, fine. But Young has a bad form line for some less than savoury actions on the field and is prone to give away really stupid penalties. He needs to get it out of his game.
The entire incident was a classic example of where the Officials should have looked at the vision from all angles and said to Rapana to play the ball on resumption of play. Instead a Penalty was awarded so Sutton could feel vindicated by his initial opinion of Penalty against the Raiders.

But I can agree that it is Young's fault for even remotely giving them something to validate themselves.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Mickey_Raider wrote: April 10, 2021, 12:54 pm
Dr Zaius wrote: April 10, 2021, 12:19 pm It might just be a coincidence, but reading this forum, every team that beats us seem to be a bunch of **** heads, with the worst supporters ever.
No.

I have been to away games against every team in NSW and been to Bluebet many times.

Panthers fans are comfortably the worst. Highly belligerent and there are always heroes who stand in front of the Raiders section and try and goad our fans into fights. Every single
time.

Magnanimity is not a word in Penriths lexicon, notwithstanding that most of them wouldn’t know what the word means.
I'm with Mickey here, have been to most away games the last few years.
Panthers are a league of boganness of their own and the players seem to encourage it with thuggery on the field and goading the opposition players and fans
They make the caxton street Queenslanders look like nuns
Vaccinated
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think anyone on this site has been to more games at Penrith than me, and i have to say i've always found it a delightful venue full of absolute legends.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gangrenous wrote: April 10, 2021, 1:10 pm I think the most disappointing play of the night for me was Williams giving away the first obstruction penalty. That was clear cut not knowing the rules of the game and unacceptable for a professional athlete.
I agree. I was screaming at him after he runs behind his own player not once, but twice, and is looking to pass it. "Don't pass it you **** get on the ground!" What does he do? Passes it. Penalty! :rant

I was in disbelief that first grade players, being the very best at what they do, can make such stupid schoolboy errors at times. If fans who have never played the game can see it's an obvious penalty, why can't the professional holding the ball?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

There’s a lot to take from that game. We matched Penrith for intensity and skill for probably 50ish minutes of that game and then had a couple of periods where they got it over us.

At the end of the first half after CNK went off, we conceded a penalty with the ball and that turned momentum their way. We were on top prior to that period and could easily have been further ahead.

The intensity and commitment from the team was top notch and we fought until the final whistle but our execution in some critical moments let us down. It’s probably the toughest road trip in the NRL right now and we now know what level we need to play at to beat the best.

I see that as something we can fix. Particularly the attack where we really need to get the balance right between Hodgson and our halves.

Another tough game to prepare for next week that I am confident we can win without wholesale changes or sacking the coach!
Raidersteve
Noa Nadruku

Post by Raidersteve »

cat wrote: April 10, 2021, 1:36 pm
Mickey_Raider wrote: April 10, 2021, 12:54 pm
No.

time.

I'm with Mickey here, have been to most away games the last few years.
Panthers are a league of boganness of their own and the players seem to encourage it with thuggery on the field and goading the opposition players and fans
They make the caxton street Queenslanders look like nuns
The crowd last night was the worst I had experienced in my 20 plus years of going to games. Putting aside the Viking Clap mocking which I can handle the general hostility, intimidating and constant barrage of obsenities directed at opposition fans for the whole game was next level.

It appears that a little success has really gone to the heads of fans and players and brought out the worst in many.