Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Ryan Sutton

Post by Raiders666 »

I love this guy so much I'm making his own thread...How good is he going :clap:
papabear
Steve Walters

Re: Ryan Sutton

Post by papabear »

Had his best game in green on the weekend.

Cemented himself in the side.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Sutton is assured of a spot in our best 17 now. I've wanted him there since his effort against the Tigers in 2019 and finally I think it is indisputable.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

It's funny because I've liked him since the get-go but keep putting other guys ahead of him based on the belief they have higher ceilings. I still think lots do but he's produced too many good games to not be in the 17.

I couldn't believe how hard he was still running the ball after being on the field for sixty minutes straight.

I've got him as lock for Taps next week.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Reminds me a lot of Scotty Logan

No frills, hard work, big impact

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I know the Darwin brothers want him dead but gee his improvement since mid 2020 has been steep

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I love watching him play, full steam ahead..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He's found another gear- that "oomph" factor he was missing in his first year. He was always a willing worker but now his runs and tackles have some sting. He probably doesn't have the greatest hands but few props do (Papa).

He's thrown the gauntlet down to Hors and Guler- get past this!
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

-TW- wrote: March 29, 2021, 10:36 pm Reminds me a lot of Scotty Logan

i can see that.
casta66
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Laurie

Post by casta66 »

Says a lot that Ricky gave him the coach's award last year, and how emotional he got when doing it.

He would see even more in Ryan that we don't see.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Jesus, wait until Sid finds this thread!
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Like Lui the year before. These guys win the coaches awards for doing the little things that your average fans don’t notice on the field and also back it up on the training paddock.

Guler and Hors do have higher ceilings, but they will have to push themselves harder than they think possible to wrestle a spot from the likes of Sutton.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:Jesus, wait until Sid finds this thread!
Oh boy, my very own thread to deathride Sutton!

Guys, I've been looking through Ryan's stats and not once has he kicked a 20/40 or a 2 point field goal... even in all his time in Superleague!! Not sure why Sticky persists with this bum.

On a more serious note that was a bloody good performance from Ryan on the weekend and with just a small sample size of 3 games (or 2 if you ask Jarrod) he is potentially in career best form. Before this season I didn't expect him to be selected in front of a guy who was part of an Origin winning team just a few months ago. Hopefully the English selectors were watching that game.

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Although he's not as big as Scotty was, I think there's a resemblance in the way he uses his arms and upper body to drive forward at the point of contact with the line. He always tends to remain fairly upright once doing so like Scotty.

Surprised (or unsurprised rather) to see he also made 51 tackles in his 73 minutes. Massive motor on the guy.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

afgtnk wrote: March 30, 2021, 1:38 pm

Although he's not as big as Scotty was, I think there's a resemblance in the way he uses his arms and upper body to drive forward at the point of contact with the line. He always tends to remain fairly upright once doing so like Scotty.

Surprised (or unsurprised rather) to see he also made 51 tackles in his 73 minutes. Massive motor on the guy.
I like the Logan likeness too. He was in the NZ box watching too.

SuttGod does have a big motor. Always thought he got better with more mins.

I can totally see a team like this moving forward too:
8. Papa
10. SuttGod/Tapine
11. CHN/Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine/Young

14. Havili/ utility back
15. Young/James
16. Horse
17. Guler

I liked what I saw of Young at 13. Id like to see more of it. However, cant argue with his edge work this yr either.

I dont have room for the 'older statesmen' in Sia, Lui or James. However, I very much doubt Ricky agrees.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Sid wrote: March 30, 2021, 1:07 pm

Guys, I've been looking through Ryan's stats and not once has he kicked a 20/40 or a 2 point field goal... even in all his time in Superleague!! Not sure why Sticky persists with this bum.

On a more serious note that was a bloody good performance from Ryan on the weekend and with just a small sample size of 3 games (or 2 if you ask Jarrod) he is potentially in career best form. Before this season I didn't expect him to be selected in front of a guy who was part of an Origin winning team just a few months ago. Hopefully the English selectors were watching that game.
The England coach, Shaun Wane, was Wigan coach when Sutton came through, so he'll be well aware of him.

I think he's still got too many good players in front of him, but he'll certainly be in the conversation from now on.
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

He has been in great form so far this year. First couple of games have also seen him shake the tag that he was unable to provide any impact of the bench and was only suitable to start.

You would think something has to give with our front row stocks this year. One thing that disappointed me over the weekend was even with all the talk of competition for spots, none of the big names playing reserves put their hand up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Matt wrote:

8. Papa
10. SuttGod/Tapine
11. CHN/Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine/Young

14. Havili/ utility back
15. Young/James
16. Horse
17. Guler

I liked what I saw of Young at 13. Id like to see more of it. However, cant argue with his edge work this yr either.

I dont have room for the 'older statesmen' in Sia, Lui or James. However, I very much doubt Ricky agrees.
Sorry Matt but that was Justin Morgan not Scott Logan in the Warriors box.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I thought he was very good last year too. I actually tipped a big improvement from him after a disappointing 2019. He looked so dejected at missing the English squad when 3 of his club mates made the squad. I remember seeing an interview with him and you could sense the determination in him to get to that level. Really happy for the guy.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

MrPosh wrote: March 30, 2021, 4:35 pm

The England coach, Shaun Wane, was Wigan coach when Sutton came through, so he'll be well aware of him.

I think he's still got too many good players in front of him, but he'll certainly be in the conversation from now on.

'Ryan has done OK but I know him very, very well and he needs to and can do a lot better, no question about that. I’m not getting carried away with what Canberra think of him. He can do a lot more'

Just waiting for it.
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

papabear wrote: March 29, 2021, 6:58 pm Had his best game in green on the weekend.

Cemented himself in the side.
He's going good. Still missed the on line defence tackle on Sironen. :)
PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

afgtnk wrote: March 30, 2021, 9:49 pm

'Ryan has done OK but I know him very, very well and he needs to and can do a lot better, no question about that. I’m not getting carried away with what Canberra think of him. He can do a lot more'

Just waiting for it.
I'd like you to hear Shaun Wane and then type that phonetically.

He makes George Williams sound like Laurence Olivier.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Just waiting for it.
:lol:

"Look, 73 minutes, 51 tackles, 200 metres on 23 carries, a LB, try and 94% tackle efficient is OK. But if i were his coach, id be getting into him about being more involved"
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

like who
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roy Rover wrote: March 30, 2021, 9:18 pm
Matt wrote:

8. Papa
10. SuttGod/Tapine
11. CHN/Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine/Young

14. Havili/ utility back
15. Young/James
16. Horse
17. Guler

They are doppelgangers then
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:

Just waiting for it.

"Look, 73 minutes, 51 tackles, 200 metres on 23 carries, a LB, try and 94% tackle efficient is OK. But if i were his coach, id be getting into him about being more involved"
What was he doing bludging for 7 minutes and missing 6% of his tackles.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Matt wrote: March 31, 2021, 11:22 am
Matt wrote:

8. Papa
10. SuttGod/Tapine
11. CHN/Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine/Young

14. Havili/ utility back
15. Young/James
16. Horse
17. Guler

I'm just glad to have finally got one over you :P
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

Raider Azz wrote: March 31, 2021, 11:02 am

like who
You would figure Alex Walmesley, Luke Thompson and Tom Burgess are certainties.

You've then got Liam Watts and Josh Griffin as the next cabs off the rank.

I would probably have Sutton after those two, but he's probably still behind Joe Philbin and Mike Cooper and possibly Scott Taylor.

Then there are youngsters like Matty Lees, Matty English and Oliver Wilson who will pretty soon be passing most people on this list.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Stopped taking you seriously at Luke Thompson and Tom Burgess. Sutton miles better than both of them.

The rest on your list I've never even heard of and they obviously aren't consistently performing at a high level in the strongest Rugby League competition in the world.

If England don't pick Sutton over any of those players, well frankly they deserve to continue losing

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Some of those Poms are OK. But Sutton should be a bench certainty.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Tom Burgess doesn't show much these days, certainly not a match winner in his own right like George and Sam used to be. Luke Thompson was bog ordinary for the bog ordinary Dogs last year.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

Finchy wrote: March 31, 2021, 4:46 pm Tom Burgess doesn't show much these days, certainly not a match winner in his own right like George and Sam used to be. Luke Thompson was bog ordinary for the bog ordinary Dogs last year.
I always had Tom down as the better of the twins - although neither in Sam's class.

Thompson had started to come good for the Dogs last year and I'm sure he will.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

MrPosh wrote: March 31, 2021, 4:49 pm
Finchy wrote: March 31, 2021, 4:46 pm Tom Burgess doesn't show much these days, certainly not a match winner in his own right like George and Sam used to be. Luke Thompson was bog ordinary for the bog ordinary Dogs last year.
I always had Tom down as the better of the twins - although neither in Sam's class.

Thompson had started to come good for the Dogs last year and I'm sure he will.
When George first came into top grade he was a gun. Some of his runs and tries were like Taumalolo, just skittling players. After the GF win, his form sort of dropped off, his handling was atrocious, got dropped a few times, and he fizzled out to nowhere. It always surprised me that Tom's form never really hit the heights that George's did in the early days, considering they're identical twins and all. Same as Andrew and David Fifita really (not the Titans David Fifita, the one playing in England).
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I think by the end of the year it will be very clear Sutton is now superior to Turgess and Thompson. I fully expect England to be too slow in realising that and pick those two plodders ahead of him though.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roy Rover wrote: March 31, 2021, 4:14 pm
Matt wrote: March 31, 2021, 11:22 am
Matt wrote:

8. Papa
10. SuttGod/Tapine
11. CHN/Young
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine/Young

14. Havili/ utility back
15. Young/James
16. Horse
17. Guler

I'm just glad to have finally got one over you :P
:roflmao