Warriors 13+
No votes

Total votes: 9

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: 2021 Rd 3 V Warriors: Game Day

Post by -TW- »

BJ wrote:
1992 wrote:"What an effort to beat the Raiders. They had some calls go against them, but Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was outstanding"

- Soward
Warriors had some calls go against them?????
Well the tackle in the air was soft as piss

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL.com power rankings

5. Canberra Raiders (5)

A gutsy performance despite a loss. I couldn't move Canberra because of their injuries and the unknowns going forward. But when you lead 25-6, regardless of the circumstances, you need to win those games. They found a way to lose, but the Raiders haven't lost any supporters.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/29/sow ... ers-slide/

Found a way to lose! That analysis is as good as Nathan Hindmarsh last night who told us the RaIders let the match go.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The 6 man bench seems like a good solution. You might also end up with teams using it like they used to with 4 spots being filled by named reserves and 2 backing up from the reserve grade game.

Any system that is based on the type of injury a player receives or how they receive it is too complicated to police and too open for exploitation. It would only be a matter of time before one player was allowed to be replaced because their HIA was put on report and a player on the other team wasn’t for it to blow up.

The same with injuries that rule you out for the game, who actually would decide that?

Makes sense to give teams more capacity to cover injuries and bring some tactical substitutions into the game as well.

That said I don’t want to see any mid season rule changes, watch things over the course of the season and make some decisions at the end of the year.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Ok, if pick is on board with the 6 man bench, then so am I.

Make it happen, GE!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders pack should claim for overtime after Green Machine reduced to 14 men against Warriors

Canberra Raiders forwards Josh Papalii, Ryan Sutton and Siliva Havili all played for around 70 minutes of last Saturday's clash with the New Zealand Warriors - after the Green Machine was reduced to just 13 fit players.

Joe Tapine suffered ankle ligament damage in the 10th minute and was forced from the field. Ryan James and Sebastian Kris followed a few minutes later, after clashing heads in a tackle. Both were ruled out with concussion. Centre Curtis Scott was forced to keep playing, despite suffering serious rib damage.

In 2020, Josh Papalii averaged just over 50 minutes on the field, while Ryan Sutton averaged 45 and Siliva Havili averaged 35.

On Saturday, however, they could barely take a spell. Sutton played for 73 minutes, Papalii played for 69 and Havilli for 67. Sutton made an incredible 200 running metres and 51 tackles, while Papalii clocked up 209 metres and 31 tackles.

Ryan Sutton says it has been quite a while - and "a few kilos less" - since he last played for that long in a game.

"It was one of those games where if anyone had to play a full game I would have," Sutton said.

"Once there was 14, we were all under the pump, playing out of position. It just shows what character we've got in the team."

"The chemistry and the camaraderie that we have in the team, everyone works for each other and wants to do it."

"It was just unfortunate not to get the two points, and not to have Rapa score in that left hand corner."

"We can take a lot of positives from it."

Sutton suffered a gash over his eye on Saturday... and celebrated his try while blood was streaming down his face.

"I thought I was sweating and I felt something came down my eye and then I looked and it was blood," he said.

"It's part and parcel of the game. You play against big physical sides like the Warriors and you're going to get little scratches. Just take it on the chin."

For a good part of the clash with the Warriors, the Raiders had their three top hookers on the field - Josh Hodgson, Tom Starling and Siliva Havili.

Havili says that's the first time that's happened in his career.

"It was different but it was exciting too, just a bit of speed with Tommy coming on, bringing a bit of spark," Havili said.

"I wasn't really playing at dummy half. Hodgy and Tommy were. We all work well together."

"[I'm] physically still sore. There was a lot to learn and take out of that game. The boys dug deep right through the whole 80 minutes. The boys will be pretty sore today, so we'll get a bit of recovery and get ready for next week."

Havili says the focus is already on next Saturday's clash with the Titans.

"They're definitely a different squad to the previous years," he said.

"Bigger builds, they've got some strike on the edge with David Fifita."

"It's definitely going to be a challenge for us. The main thing for us is to freshen up our bodies from the weekend's game, look after our bodies and get ready for the Titans."

A report for The Greenhouse

Jarrod Croker says Canberra Raiders beaten but far from broken

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck may have denied his side what would have ranked among their all-time greatest wins but Raiders captain Jarrod Croker still left Canberra Stadium in a buoyant mood on Saturday.

"It’s tough to swallow but you look on the flip side, it’s round three," Croker said. "The effort we put in, you look over at the bench after 15 minutes and Starlo’s [Tom Starling] the only player there so it’s a massive effort."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/28/cro ... om-broken/

VIDEO: Siliva Havili and Ryan Sutton speak about the performance against the Warriors and the character shown by the side: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... character/

Sia Soliola stands with Mose Masoe: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... with-mose/

PLAY OF THE WEEK: Elliott Whitehead try: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... ehead-try/

MATCH GALLERY: Raiders v Warriors: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... -warriors/
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

The Nickman wrote:Ok, if pick is on board with the 6 man bench, then so am I.

Make it happen, GE!
The other option is to have an unlimited bench but with a limited number of substitutions and no interchange.

Now that would fundamentally change the way the game is played.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

pickles wrote:
The Nickman wrote:Ok, if pick is on board with the 6 man bench, then so am I.

Make it happen, GE!
The other option is to have an unlimited bench but with a limited number of substitutions and no interchange.

Now that would fundamentally change the way the game is played.
Not to compare to union but they have an 8 man bench, so effectively 8 subs

I reckon a 6 man sub bench would work. Keeps the rotation numbers the same whilst having enough cover if 2 of your players decide to headbutt each other.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Surprise surprise, Annesley admits it was a forward pass and they got it wrong. Mind you, the way he went about it I thought he was building the case to say that it was a legal pass before blankly stating - it was a forward pass.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders were robbed - NRL football boss Graham Annesley admits crucial Warriors try was scored from a forward pass

NRL football boss Graham Annesley has admitted that a crucial try scored by Warriors forward Ben Murdoch-Masila in Saturday's game against the Canberra Raiders came from a forward pass from half Kodi Nikorima - and should have been disallowed.

The Warriors won the match by just three points, and the try proved to be the difference between winning and losing the game.

Annesley says he has not spoken to Canberra coach Ricky Stuart about the incident, which cost the Canberra Raiders the match.

He said referee's boss Jared Maxwell spoke to the Raiders mentor yesterday about a range of matters associated with the match, and he didn't need to traverse the same territory.

Annesley says that there are always issues about interpreting forward passes due to camera angles, but that he could not deny that the Nikorima pass was forward.

VIDEO: Graham Annesley Round 3 football briefing: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/29/gra ... --round-3/

NRL admits the Canberra Raiders were robbed by forward pass

The NRL has admitted a crucial Warriors try should have been disallowed on Saturday because of a forward pass. The NRL were yet to conclude their investigation into comments Stuart allegedly made about referee Henry Perenara while on the sideline. It could be finalised on Tuesday. Annesley said it was a matter for the NRL integrity unit and not for him as the head of football.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I still don't think you can definitively say it cost us the match, but it certainly didn't help.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Lucky there’s not a 5th grade comp eh Graham.

Cuz that’s how far you’d have to drop kick HP.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: March 29, 2021, 2:38 pm I still don't think you can definitively say it cost us the match, but it certainly didn't help.
I don’t know Nickman. There was only 2 minutes to go when they scored their go ahead try. I’d like to think our boys up under massive strain and fatigue would have held on.

Of course there’s no definites in Rugbrugh Leeg but IT COST US THE MATCH imo..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

The Nickman wrote:Hahaha Sutto was 100% playing in Round 1, he was one of our best!

It's the game where all of Sid's irrational Sutton-hate started emanating from.
Image at least I acknowledged Sutton played!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Rick
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by Rick »

Wow did not see this coming...... fat lot of difference an apology makes.

In today’s day and age the video ref needs to be able to step in for howlers like this. It was as obvious then as it is now, so obvious that they are comfortable to say they stuffed it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: March 29, 2021, 2:35 pm Canberra Raiders were robbed - NRL football boss Graham Annesley admits crucial Warriors try was scored from a forward pass

NRL football boss Graham Annesley has admitted that a crucial try scored by Warriors forward Ben Murdoch-Masila in Saturday's game against the Canberra Raiders came from a forward pass from half Kodi Nikorima - and should have been disallowed.

The Warriors won the match by just three points, and the try proved to be the difference between winning and losing the game.

Annesley says he has not spoken to Canberra coach Ricky Stuart about the incident, which cost the Canberra Raiders the match.

He said referee's boss Jared Maxwell spoke to the Raiders mentor yesterday about a range of matters associated with the match, and he didn't need to traverse the same territory.

Annesley says that there are always issues about interpreting forward passes due to camera angles, but that he could not deny that the Nikorima pass was forward.

VIDEO: Graham Annesley Round 3 football briefing: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/29/gra ... --round-3/

**** the NRL and all the peanuts that spent Saturday arvo trying to convince us all the pass was fine...
Annesley can shove it up his ****.
Onto the next game
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

1992 wrote: March 29, 2021, 11:34 am "What an effort to beat the Raiders. They had some calls go against them, but Roger Tuivasa-Sheck was outstanding"

- Soward
Soward can EDIT...unseasoned.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: March 29, 2021, 2:35 pm Canberra Raiders were robbed - NRL football boss Graham Annesley admits crucial Warriors try was scored from a forward pass

the annesley pressers 100% need Curb You're Enthusiasm music played at the end
Dont delete this GE
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I'm so glad that howler took the focus off the blatant forward pass and ridiculous set restart that led to their first try.

Anyway, fish and chip paper now. Onto the Gold Coast.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Injuries cost us the game...Not the ref
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote: March 29, 2021, 4:16 pm Injuries cost us the game...Not the ref
I agree.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: March 29, 2021, 4:20 pm
Raiders666 wrote: March 29, 2021, 4:16 pm Injuries cost us the game...Not the ref
I agree.
Don't get me wrong...The ref was abysmal and there were some bad calls for the Warriors also.
But the game was pretty much over at the 13th minute ,I think we all new that....It was an amazing effort to get so far in front and we almost held on.
In all my years of watching footy it would have been the greatest win of all time imo
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Raiders666 wrote: March 29, 2021, 4:53 pm
I agree.
Don't get me wrong...The ref was abysmal and there were some bad calls for the Warriors also.
But the game was pretty much over at the 13th minute ,I think we all new that....It was an amazing effort to get so far in front and we almost held on.
In all my years of watching footy it would have been the greatest win of all time imo
Yep, the most significant incident in the game was Kris and James knocking each other out.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Injuries probably cost us a handsome win. Given injuries occurred, an incorrect call from the referee ended up costing us the win.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 29, 2021, 4:56 pm
Injuries probably cost us a handsome win. Given injuries occurred, an incorrect call from the referee ended up costing us the win.
By that logic you could also say Jordan Rapana failing to ground the football cost us the win too.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: March 29, 2021, 4:58 pm
By that logic you could also say Jordan Rapana failing to ground the football cost us the win too.
The short drop out didn't help
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Whiteheads stupid offload
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Jack kicking it out on the full, which they scored directly afterwards.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: March 29, 2021, 4:56 pm
Raiders666 wrote: March 29, 2021, 4:53 pm
I agree.
Yep, the most significant incident in the game was Kris and James knocking each other out.
100%
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

The Nickman wrote: March 29, 2021, 5:05 pm Jack kicking it out on the full, which they scored directly afterwards.
Also I know all teams do it now but I really hate that play of dying with the ball on last, so not to give away a 7 tackle set... I really wish we backed ourselves there, especially because our defense was not reliable at that stage.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

That pass was 2 metres forward though..Also that one that led to the first try also 🤦‍♂️ just a frustrating day all round
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Exactly.
Notwithstanding injuries, but for the howler, we would have won the match.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think the biggest impact in the game was undoubtedly the injuries
We win that game running away with under better circumstances

But that was a very big error that accounted for 6 points in a game decided by 3. That score got the close enough that a try in the 78th minute gave them a lead. It’s not a stretch to say that was a very impactful error
Greedysmurf
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Greedysmurf »

The NRL is a bloody joke.

If you watch the whole presser, a minute after Annesley gets done being mealy mouthed about camera angles, etc, he shows the Cowboys obstruction confidently stating it was a penalty because the support runner was in front of the ball carrier. You sure on that Graham? it could be a camera angle, the support runner could very well have been behind the ball carrier.

On the technology front, how long does it take? The NFL has had a virtual 1st down line on the field for a decade at least, That's all you need, superimpose a straight line, forward or not?
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

The Nickman wrote:
You might.

It might also be pointed out that one of those is a legitimate part of the sport, while the other is a misapplication of the rules of the game. So they’re not really the same are they? Image
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: March 29, 2021, 6:36 pm
The Nickman wrote:
You might.

It might also be pointed out that one of those is a legitimate part of the sport, while the other is a misapplication of the rules of the game. So they’re not really the same are they? Image
Good point. Pick that one out of the net Nickman!!! :cmon
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.