Jarrod Croker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by rayden83 »

Look at what poor Croker has been reduced to, the “little 1 percenters”, the “earned six again”, the “left side looked better than the right”.

That inside pass to Rapana, EVERY centre in the NRL should be able to make that pass. That is bare minimum for playing at this level. Not even his brilliant awe inspiring captaincy could save us from Saturday’s capitulation.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fair go, he's had one game back.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

rayden83 wrote: March 30, 2021, 12:09 am Look at what poor Croker has been reduced to, the “little 1 percenters”, the “earned six again”, the “left side looked better than the right”.

That inside pass to Rapana, EVERY centre in the NRL should be able to make that pass. That is bare minimum for playing at this level. Not even his brilliant awe inspiring captaincy could save us from Saturday’s capitulation.
Sorry, but please explain how starting someone else would have made the result any different
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

rayden83 wrote: March 30, 2021, 12:09 am Look at what poor Croker has been reduced to, the “little 1 percenters”, the “earned six again”, the “left side looked better than the right”.

Ahhh, this old chestnut again. Hodgo was obviously doing captaincy stuff when our players had a real dig. Croker took over just before we let in those tries in the 2nd half.

It's now clear the reason Perenara stopped with that forward pass. He had to check who the captain was before he made the decision. When Croker stuck his hand up Perenara called play on.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I did find it funny that Croker was getting credit for throwing a basic pass while Rapana is being analysed with a magnifying glass, despite his outstanding game in general.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 30, 2021, 8:44 am

I did find it funny that Croker was getting credit for throwing a basic pass while Rapana is being analysed with a magnifying glass, despite his outstanding game in general.
I'm obviously late to the party. Who is over analysing Rapana? He was one of our best last couple of weeks.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

why don't you **** off
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Rapana was my favourite player for a good 2 or 3 year period from 2016 - 2018.

However, he has always had a moment of garbage in him which was offset easily by:-
- his effort
- his moment of brilliance
- speed and finishing ability

Nowadays he seems to have lost that moment of brillians and the speed / finish, thus he just doesnt quite have it. The only thing helping him is we are short of genuine wingers with simmonsson also being average.

Crokers game was good on the weekend, some people here would put me on the poopoo croker side of things, but honestly, I just want to win and right now croker is a net positive somewhere in the backline. IMO the issue is where you juggle Kris / Croker because in my mind they are the first two picked in the backline.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

papabear wrote: March 30, 2021, 10:51 am

Rapana was my favourite player for a good 2 or 3 year period from 2016 - 2018.

However, he has always had a moment of garbage in him which was offset easily by:-
- his effort
- his moment of brilliance
- speed and finishing ability

Nowadays he seems to have lost that moment of brillians and the speed / finish, thus he just doesnt quite have it. The only thing helping him is we are short of genuine wingers with simmonsson also being average.

Crokers game was good on the weekend, some people here would put me on the poopoo croker side of things, but honestly, I just want to win and right now croker is a net positive somewhere in the backline. IMO the issue is where you juggle Kris / Croker because in my mind they are the first two picked in the backline.
Rapanas lost what moment of brilliance? Was his kick running down the sideline for whiteheads try not absolute perfection? You remember one error and apply it to his whole game
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I think Rapana has been just fine, one of our best even... he's just playing on the wrong side.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Rapana not as fast as he was 5 years ago. Every other part of his game is as good as ever right now. Best I've seen him play for a couple of years. Obviously benefited from a full off-season with the NRL squad instead instead of messing around in Japanese rugby.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 30, 2021, 11:23 am Rapana not as fast as he was 5 years ago. Every other part of his game is as good as ever right now. Best I've seen him play for a couple of years. Obviously benefited from a full off-season with the NRL squad instead instead of messing around in Japanese rugby.
Except for finishing, but that's mainly because he's ON THE WRONG **** SIDE!!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Completely agree
Rapana's loss of speed is going to impact most parts of his game, he's not what he was but his level of play is ok
Which is why it is imperative imo to get him back to his natural side, those extra 2-5% margins by being on his natural side i think will help him improve his finishing

That last second try for example, if he's on his natural side, i think he scores that because he's able to better position his body and give himself more room diving over the sideline and grounding the ball his his natural hand
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: March 30, 2021, 12:21 pm That last second try for example, if he's on his natural side, i think he scores that because he's able to better position his body and give himself more room diving over the sideline and grounding the ball his his natural hand
Absolutely, 100%. No doubt in my mind.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Botman wrote: March 30, 2021, 12:21 pm Completely agree
Rapana's loss of speed is going to impact most parts of his game, he's not what he was but his level of play is ok
Which is why it is imperative imo to get him back to his natural side, those extra 2-5% margins by being on his natural side i think will help him improve his finishing

That last second try for example, if he's on his natural side, i think he scores that because he's able to better position his body and give himself more room diving over the sideline and grounding the ball his his natural hand
Completely disagree. If rapana was on his natural side he would have been the furthest player from the ball
Dont delete this GE
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: March 30, 2021, 12:45 pm
Botman wrote: March 30, 2021, 12:21 pm Completely agree

Completely disagree. If rapana was on his natural side he would have been the furthest player from the ball
Simo 1 Botman 0
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: Cant argue with that
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

Rapana v Croker

Rapana
Runs: 20
Metres: 221
Post contact metres: 66
Line breaks: 1
Line break assists: 0
Try assists: 1
Tackle breaks: 8
Tackling efficiency: 83.3%
Missed tackles: 0
Fantasy points: 66

Croker
Runs: 10
Run metres: 75
Post contact metres: 32
Line breaks: 0
Line break assists: 1
Try assists: 0
Tackle breaks: 0
Tackling efficiency: 60%
Missed tackles: 3
Fantasy points: 20

Yep, Raps is definitely our problem. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Are you having a conversation with yourself?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: March 30, 2021, 3:03 pm Are you having a conversation with yourself?
I think he's having a bubble bath mate, surely?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Surely Rapana deserves his very own thread where our loyal fans can slip the **** boot into him?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Re: End of Croker?

Post by Kryptonite »

BJ wrote: March 22, 2021, 9:34 pm Agree with Botman. Ricky likes players who set the standard off the field, knowing that it drives longer term improvements on the field for the entire club. It’s good for young players to completely earn their spot, otherwise they risk becoming a Luke Brookes or Ash Taylor.

Greeneyed is right, Stuart would make a call if Croker doesn’t perform over a long period. But we are far from that point right now.

I do want an absolutely 100% fully fit Croker however. I hope he doesn’t rush himself.
How is CHN working out for Ricky’s cultural policies?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

We'll find out in the next 12-18 months.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Is Seb Kris the new Bulgarelli ?
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

He’s shown more than that waste of space ever did. I’m still not over him ousting Phil Graham 18 years ago.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

ill never get over it :lol:
i was ranting about that nonsense on boards so old they dont exist anymore. Absolute nonsense. And cost us a prelim final god dammit
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

TBH winning repeat sets of six is a useful skill. Someone like Joe Tapine could get one almost every run and that adds value to him
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: March 26, 2021, 8:09 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: March 25, 2021, 7:16 am
julian87 wrote: March 25, 2021, 6:46 am
raiderskater wrote: March 24, 2021, 7:53 pm Additionally, if you want to be cheesed at anyone about that prelim, perhaps start getting cranky at Rapana, Cotric and Bateman who all suddenly started playing like they'd only met each other in the pub that afternoon and were total strangers. I knew all three could have ball hog tendencies, but all three butchered more than one certain try EACH with their refusal to pass that ball that night. At least Croker and Valemei were trying stuff on their edge even if it wasn't always working.
Going to preface this by saying Ricky Stuart has really turned the club around. It’s been 99% positive.

But his stubbornness with Cotric last season resulting in Rapana playing at centre, not him, really did harm the team’s chances late last season imo.

Melbourne would have done us anyway but it was a really, really silly continued selection that hurt the team immeasurably defensively.
TBH they are 2 bad options though. Cotric was signed by the Dogs as a centre, and I see they give him the number 4 on his back. He's still heading back on tackle 5 to field kicks though. If Cotric was a top tier NRL centre he'd be playing there, rather than the hybrid model the Dogs have gone with.
We'll see how things go and it's very early days and he doesnt have a ton of support in the play making roles but so far, this is a winger pretending to be a centre.
I think defensively he'd have been better than Rapana last year, so i agree with Julian that it was a mistake not to play him there given how poorly Raps defended at that spot but 2 games in and Cotric looks like a winger trying to play centre.
Cotric shifted back to the wing before halftime in his 4th game as a "centre" (he was really playing as a hybrid centre/winger). Fair to say Ricky is looking justified in not giving into his centre demands.
Jado639
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Jado639 »

rayden83 wrote:Have seen enough of Kris and Scott to determine that these two should be our default centre pairing going forward. Scott has improved immensely from last year and Kris is a strong ball runner which we lacked last year after losing BJ. Both also have significant upside, unlike Croker who faded badly last year and is now in his 30s. He has a decent pass and can catch a high ball but the game is now more physical and muscular and he seems like a featherweight out there at times.

There’s no logical reason to retain Croker in the starting side, which means that he would drop out of the 17. There are however strong emotional reasons; captain, loyal servant, community service, great bloke etc, but none of these will help us get nearer to a Premiership. His leadership and goal kicking are easily replaced by Hodgson and Williams.

Not to say his career is totally finished as he would serve decent back up in the event of injury (behind Timoko) but I dont think we can guarantee him a starting place anymore. The question is do we place more value on loyalty to players or leaving no stone unturned to win a Prem? With Croker we can make top 4 but against the big guns in the crunch games he will let us down. It must be a difficult situation for Stuart but that’s why he’s paid the big bucks. Team success comes first imo.
Gutsy call but I agree.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Northern Raider wrote: March 30, 2021, 11:23 am Rapana not as fast as he was 5 years ago. Every other part of his game is as good as ever right now. Best I've seen him play for a couple of years. Obviously benefited from a full off-season with the NRL squad instead instead of messing around in Japanese rugby.
Agreed.

As I said another thread about CNK, Rapa isn’t on big money so his contribution has to be measured against his salary and I reckon he’s producing way over level.

Rapa could finish the season with an average of 100m and a total of 10+ tries which would be excellent for what we’re paying him.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Nice instinctual flick for the Rapana try,but that was the only highlight.

Stuart has a head v heart issue to resolve here.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Jesus...
tommyhud9
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by tommyhud9 »

Rapana is on the chopping block long before Jarrod.
rayden83
Alan Tongue

Post by rayden83 »

tommyhud9 wrote: April 3, 2021, 11:01 pm Rapana is on the chopping block long before Jarrod.
v Titans

Rapana
Runs 19
Metres 142
Tackle Breaks 7
Missed tackles 1
Tries 1

Croker
Runs 3
Metres 30
Tackle breaks 0
Missed tackles 6