Jarrod Croker

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Jarrod Croker

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:Talking about David Furner mate. Back in the day we'd hear the same sort of thing about him. It never happened - he had to be given the chop.

Reality is that no matter much people think a player (or coach) loves a club, usually unless they're is forced out, whether by the club or through genuine injury, they're not going to remove themselves - and I don't blame them at all tbh. They've got a contract and a short lifespan in the game, trying to do the best for themselves.

Unless I'm unaware of things Croker has setup for himself outside of football, is the guy going to be earning 600k when he leaves the game? Madness to think he'll simply fall on his sword through his volition due to poor performance.
Owns a few pizza joints from memory

But would be madness to just walk away from that sort of cash

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

If Croker was willing to volunteer for reserve grade then that would raise significantly louder alarm bells for me than his current drop in form.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jarrod Croker

Post by LastRaider »

It’s a bit like watching Jonathan Thurston in his last season. You see him on the ground, brings back the good memories of years gone by and then the reality hits. Our problem is another 3 years to go!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

afgtnk wrote: April 13, 2021, 12:58 am
Ruben Daley wrote: April 11, 2021, 9:29 pm
afgtnk wrote: April 11, 2021, 11:32 am Criticism of Simo is well off IMO.

He's not going to set the world on fire or do anything too spectacular, but he's the type of cheapy that belongs in a good modern backline.

He's young, defensively solid, minimal errors, good in the air, intelligent, good top end speed, and has decent finishing ability. Big problem right now is that he's seeing pretty much no ball inside the opposition 20 to show off some of those attributes, because we don't have any attack setup on the right.

One of the last players I'd be looking at in the backline currently tbh.
I sort of agree and I can't help but like Bailey. But he's played 33 games for the green and I swear I've said aloud in each of them, "I'd really like to see Bailey in space." I truly can't remember a time when he was running in the open. Is it just me? I think he's fast but I've never seen it.

Now, I agree he doesn't get a lot of ball/a lot of quality ball but surely in a season and a half's worth of games we would've seen him run clear. Why isn't that happening?
Probably a few reasons I'd say.

- He debuted in 2019, and ever since 2019 our attack without Crawley coaching it has become far more conservative/less expansive. Far more up the guts than 2015-2018.

- He's naturally not a blockbusting winger, the type that goes looking for the ball and makes breaks midfield ala Rapana or Cotric. It's kinda like asking why Ed Lee doesn't make breaks like them - to make a break, players like that really need to have the space. I can't even recall the last time someone gave him the ball with space ahead of him tbh.

- To reiterate the point about the quality of ball being being received, forget about the quality, he just isn't flatout getting it in attacking positions. The only thing he's being used for or is really able to do in this team is make dirty hard metres, which will never make him look very good.
Yeah, I agree with this to a point. He certainly isn't getting set up much.

But he played 21 games in 2019 when we came fourth and there were plenty of tries scored. Even this year, I can remember CNK, Rapa, Curtis and Jarrod all in a bit of space without busting throw tackles. Last year, Valemei had a few runs too in his limited chances. Bailey has simply never got into the clear.

And, yes, maybe his inside man isn't setting him up. That's part of it. But you mention Edrick - he has regularly got into the clear over his career and by the 33 game mark had done it lots of times. He'd certainly scored a lot more tries by that point.

Anyway, I'm not death-riding him and I'm hopeful he'll keep improving to the point where he's a dangerous winger. I'm just genuinely amazed that a guy who is touted as being fast and has played his whole (short) career so far for a winning side hasn't got into the clear once.

Now I've said all that, I'm banking on him doing it this weekend. Twice.
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by lomax »

Jarrod offers nothing to the team coming out of our on end of the footy field, and doesn't make the opposition nervous at the other end either. The only time he makes the opposition tip sheet is that he has a good chase on kicks but even that is nowhere near the effort it use to be years ago.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Tick tock
Up The Milk
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Is your plan a dance video frame up?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

lomax wrote: April 17, 2021, 9:44 pm Jarrod offers nothing to the team coming out of our on end of the footy field, and doesn't make the opposition nervous at the other end either. The only time he makes the opposition tip sheet is that he has a good chase on kicks but even that is nowhere near the effort it use to be years ago.
He's offered nothing for 2 years. I like him as a bloke, he's a great guy, but time to say goodbye. Should be in NSW Cup like what happened to Campese.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Get rid of him
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

lomax wrote:Jarrod offers nothing to the team coming out of our on end of the footy field, and doesn't make the opposition nervous at the other end either. The only time he makes the opposition tip sheet is that he has a good chase on kicks but even that is nowhere near the effort it use to be years ago.
The opposition must love it when he takes a run...... he is in danger of posting minus meters.

And to be fair, George Williams was kicking goals better in the first 2 rounds
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: April 17, 2021, 10:16 pm
lomax wrote:Jarrod offers nothing to the team coming out of our on end of the footy field, and doesn't make the opposition nervous at the other end either. The only time he makes the opposition tip sheet is that he has a good chase on kicks but even that is nowhere near the effort it use to be years ago.
The opposition must love it when he takes a run...... he is in danger of posting minus meters.

And to be fair, George Williams was kicking goals better in the first 2 rounds
Yep. A negative run metres measure just for Jarrod (moderators pls do not delete thanks. It hurts but it is true)
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I don't think even the most ardent of his ardent supporters could claim that he's up to even a bare minimum standard, based off his three games this season.

He's not a first grade footballer playing like this. No chance.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

If Croker was to go on the market, who would be dumb enough to sign him? I don't think even think the idiots from Canterbury/Brisbane/Nth Qld/West Tigers/GC/Manly would want to sign him. Yet we offered him $600,000 for another 3 years. Ludicrous. We looked way better in the first few rounds without him.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: April 17, 2021, 11:10 pm If Croker was to go on the market, who would be dumb enough to sign him? I don't think even think the idiots from Canterbury/Brisbane/Nth Qld/West Tigers/GC/Manly would want to sign him. Yet we offered him $600,000 for another 3 years. Ludicrous. We looked way better in the first few rounds without him.
Not just now, his entire career! We as a club have held him in far higher esteem than his *playing ability* ever commanded. I reckon we’ve been bidding against ourselves each time he’s come up for a new contract
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

In hindsight, giving Toots $600k/year for 4 years was a sign of things to come. Over-confidence in the seniors
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Its obvious that Croker cant be honourably managed out of the Raiders, he simply needs to be dropped to reserves never to be seen in first grade again. Sure it will ruffle some feathers amongst the playing group and provoke a media firestorm but they are secondary problems to the main problem of Croker lacing up his boots every week.

Of course he isn’t the only problem, our whole backline stinks, but he is the worst player in the backline therefore first in line to be given the tap on the shoulder. Send him to reserve grade where he can still represent Raiders and do the hokey mentor thing to guys like HSS, Hopoate etc.

Simonsson also needs to be dropped. Can anyone elucidate what he actually brings to the side? Tackle busts? Nup. Blistering pace? Nup. Dazzling footwork? Nup. Distinctly average, crazy anyone thought he would he a fit replacement for Rapana.

Kris needs to start in centres next week and I’d also consider sticking CHN on the other side. He spent some time there for the Bulldogs and he gives the backline exactly what is needs; hard, destructive running. Even Valemei might be worth another look, he is better than Simo that’s for sure.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

rayden83 wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:44 am Its obvious that Croker cant be honourably managed out of the Raiders, he simply needs to be dropped to reserves never to be seen in first grade again. Sure it will ruffle some feathers amongst the playing group and provoke a media firestorm but they are secondary problems to the main problem of Croker lacing up his boots every week.

Of course he isn’t the only problem, our whole backline stinks, but he is the worst player in the backline therefore first in line to be given the tap on the shoulder. Send him to reserve grade where he can still represent Raiders and do the hokey mentor thing to guys like HSS, Hopoate etc.

Simonsson also needs to be dropped. Can anyone elucidate what he actually brings to the side? Tackle busts? Nup. Blistering pace? Nup. Dazzling footwork? Nup. Distinctly average, crazy anyone thought he would he a fit replacement for Rapana.

Kris needs to start in centres next week and I’d also consider sticking CHN on the other side. He spent some time there for the Bulldogs and he gives the backline exactly what is needs; hard, destructive running. Even Valemei might be worth another look, he is better than Simo that’s for sure.
Couldn't agree more. Simmo and Croker don't take it up, don't make breaks. I haven't even seen Simmo catch the ball cleanly from our bombs in the opponents' 20 metre zone. Croker's always been an below average to average player but you guys on the site love him.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

What's going to be really bad is if we lose Kris to Melbourne Storm or Roosters next year if Kris doesn't get his opportunities in FG due to Croker and Scott.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Jarrod Croker

Post by LastRaider »

Who ever decided to give Croker a 4 year contract at $600k per season needs to be sacked. Over at South’s there in a tussle with Reynolds, who is a similar situation but I applaud the Rabbitohs to being sensible, over 30 years + players are huge risk and we are seeing this with Croker right now. A liability on the payroll chewing up good cap space🤦‍♂️

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

LastRaider wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:49 am Who ever decided to give Croker a 4 year contract at $600k per season needs to be sacked. Over at South’s there in a tussle with Reynolds, who is a similar situation but I applaud the Rabbitohs to being sensible, over 30 years + players are huge risk and we are seeing this with Croker right now. A liability on the payroll chewing up good cap space🤦‍♂️

As long as they’re happy to medically retire him sooner rather than later, then all will be forgiven. Just giving us very little output these days, there’s not a lot there
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:What's going to be really bad is if we lose Kris to Melbourne Storm or Roosters next year if Kris doesn't get his opportunities in FG due to Croker and Scott.
Scott is only on contract till the end of this year or next?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

yeh raiders wrote: April 18, 2021, 10:41 am
LastRaider wrote: April 18, 2021, 7:49 am Who ever decided to give Croker a 4 year contract at $600k per season needs to be sacked. Over at South’s there in a tussle with Reynolds, who is a similar situation but I applaud the Rabbitohs to being sensible, over 30 years + players are huge risk and we are seeing this with Croker right now. A liability on the payroll chewing up good cap space🤦‍♂️

As long as they’re happy to medically retire him sooner rather than later, then all will be forgiven. Just giving us very little output these days, there’s not a lot there
Has anyone who was fit and playing first grade been medically retired yet? I know Burgess was playing, but he looked busted. Croker just looks behind the pace.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 18, 2021, 11:24 am
yeh raiders wrote: April 18, 2021, 10:41 am

Has anyone who was fit and playing first grade been medically retired yet? I know Burgess was playing, but he looked busted. Croker just looks behind the pace.
Friend?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

VictorTheViking wrote: April 18, 2021, 10:58 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote:What's going to be really bad is if we lose Kris to Melbourne Storm or Roosters next year if Kris doesn't get his opportunities in FG due to Croker and Scott.
Scott is only on contract till the end of this year or next?

End 2023...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im fairly confident we'd be able to get him medically retired if the club and player agreed it was for the best. I reckon just about any player who's played that long will have something wrong with a body part that a doctor would sign off and say he shouldnt be playing. That's the nature of the game and they've been very liberal about allowing this to happen for players of certain levels. I dont think the NRL would be looking to open a can of worms about medical retirement by Croker given some of the other medical retirements they've allowed.

It's a big IF though about player and club.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I genuinely reckon it can't be good for team morale watching your captain being ineffective and rag dolled around by the opposition every week.

Your captain should be a source of inspiration for the team through their play, not just a great bloke/clubman who doubles up as your worst player.
Up The Milk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

afgtnk wrote:I don't think even the most ardent of his ardent supporters could claim that he's up to even a bare minimum standard, based off his three games this season.

Well I fit this demographic and it's obvious Croker needs to lift next game or have a spell in reggies. Not sure he adds enough to make it back to NRL level, but it's in his own hands.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Jarrod Croker

Post by The Nickman »

gergreg wrote:
afgtnk wrote:I don't think even the most ardent of his ardent supporters could claim that he's up to even a bare minimum standard, based off his three games this season.

Well I fit this demographic and it's obvious Croker needs to lift next game or have a spell in reggies. Not sure he adds enough to make it back to NRL level, but it's in his own hands.

Yeah, put me down in this category too, but I’ve always been happy to change my mind based on the evidence in front of me... I’ve never been one to be wedded to an opinion until the end of time.

If I was coach I’d be moving Croker back to NSW Cup for now, and it’s on his head to force his way back into the team, just like CHN is currently doing.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I don’t think there is much to this situation
I think most people just call it how they see it
I’ve defended Croker for years because prior to 2020 I felt the level of vitriol directed his way didn’t remotely match his level of performance

2020 was ordinary but he had earned the right to show it was an outlier season. And now it’s looking like my fears about it being the start of a decline was accurate and the criticism is justified

Not a lot more to it, though as I’ve said fairly consistently, I don’t think Stuart will drop him to reggies
But the cynic in me wonders how long this level of play continues before he picks up an injury at training
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 11:43 am Im fairly confident we'd be able to get him medically retired if the club and player agreed it was for the best. I reckon just about any player who's played that long will have something wrong with a body part that a doctor would sign off and say he shouldnt be playing. That's the nature of the game and they've been very liberal about allowing this to happen for players of certain levels. I dont think the NRL would be looking to open a can of worms about medical retirement by Croker given some of the other medical retirements they've allowed.

It's a big IF though about player and club.
They also won't want to open a can of worms by allowing clubs to get out of bad contracts by just allowing underperforming players to medically retire. Didn't Dugan's bid get declined last year? That's a sign they don't just sign off anyone, Dugan is 5 times more busted than Croker (although still a more effective player these days).
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on April 18, 2021, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

They’ve already opened that can, Rog.
Last edited by Botman on April 18, 2021, 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:22 pm They’ve already opened that can, Rog.
Burgess's output was still earning his pay cheque. Friend the same. We'll be held to a different standard as Croker is clearly massively overpaid under his current deal, and shows no signs of being hindered by a long term injury.

I think it's naive to think we just send in a couple of papers and we get out of 1.8mil on our cap the next three years.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on April 18, 2021, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:26 pm
Burgess' output was still earning his pay cheque. Friend the same. We'll be held to a different standard as Croker is clearly massively overpaid under his current deal, and shows no signs of being hindered by a long term injury.

I think it's naive to think we just send in a couple of papers and we get out of 1.8mil on our cap the next three years.
Friend was not earning that pay cheque haha
Burgess either, he was clearly not worth what they had contracted him for but that’s a bit subjective

I agree neither were looking as bad as Croker. Micheal Morgan is an interesting test case

But maybe you’re right. They’re flying by the seat of their pants at NRL HQ these days, so all bets are on and off at the same time

We’ll see
It maybe that we just have to eat the contract and Stuart will have to deal with the consequences of his decisions.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Botman wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:29 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: April 18, 2021, 12:26 pm
Burgess' output was still earning his pay cheque. Friend the same. We'll be held to a different standard as Croker is clearly massively overpaid under his current deal, and shows no signs of being hindered by a long term injury.

Friend was not earning that pay cheque haha
Burgess either, he was clearly not worth what they had contracted him for but that’s a bit subjective

I agree neither were looking as bad as Croker. Micheal Morgan is an interesting test case

But maybe you’re right. They’re flying by the seat of their pants at NRL HQ these days, so all bets are on and off at the same time

We’ll see
It maybe that we just have to eat the contract and Stuart will have to deal with the consequences of his decisions.
I think it would be hard to argue out of it this year and next. Following that something should be able to be done.

We're also assuming Croker wants to be medically retired, which I can almost guarantee he won't.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah I’ve said that before
None of this matters unless both club and player agree it’s what they want to do