Canberra Raiders commit to Wagga Wagga game in 2022

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: Canberra Raiders commit to Wagga Wagga game in 2022

Post by cat »

I'm planning on going to magic round this year and may "get it" better after i go
But right now I can't see the magic, it's basically 8 games at the 1 venue, the same game that's played every weekend, same rules, same players. Ok we might get a band or something but thats not really that special and certainly isnt "magic"

There's no signing sessions with past players, mascot events ( races, or gladiator style events), no special things during the game etc
The players dont even enter the field in a magical way
Where is the "magic"?
Vaccinated
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

cat wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:49 pm I'm planning on going to magic round this year and may "get it" better after i go
But right now I can't see the magic, it's basically 8 games at the 1 venue, the same game that's played every weekend, same rules, same players. Ok we might get a band or something but thats not really that special and certainly isnt "magic"

There's no signing sessions with past players, mascot events ( races, or gladiator style events), no special things during the game etc
Where is the "magic"?
First of all the ability to see all 8 games in a weekend is pretty special I reckon. I loved the atmosphere around town with all 16 teams jerseys around the streets.

But agree cat, it could be even better.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

Bay53 wrote: March 19, 2021, 10:22 am
PerthRaider86 wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:46 am Raiders should come to perth

We have a nice stadium and you can choose 20,000 or 60,000 seat :)

Tho the 60,000 seat is an oval :lol:
As I am sure you are aware, the Raiders have been due to come to Perth the last two years but it has been cancelled.

It is interesting that the Dogs and the Storm are going to play at HBF Park in a couple of weeks but the Roosters didn’t want to take the chance with border closures.

Yes I know. Ive been disappointed twice :(
Perth Based Raiders Fan
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote:@raiderskater I’m very supportive of trial matches being taken to country venues and all the associated activities by the club. I’ve done a lot of trips to such games. I’ve argued in the past that the NRL should have a policy that requires that. However, I don’t think they’re suitable venues for NRL matches. I won’t repeat all the other points I’ve made.
Oh, you’re against the idea, are you?
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

The Nickman wrote:
greeneyed wrote:@raiderskater I’m very supportive of trial matches being taken to country venues and all the associated activities by the club. I’ve done a lot of trips to such games. I’ve argued in the past that the NRL should have a policy that requires that. However, I don’t think they’re suitable venues for NRL matches. I won’t repeat all the other points I’ve made.
ImageImageImage

imagine the scenes if the raiders had to relocate to Perth for 2 years

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Good stuff, maintain the Raiders presence there
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Only cause there's no helipad and corporate box filled with caviar.

The rest of us dealt alright with a camp chair on the hill

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We won’t be getting a new stadium in Canberra if the main tenant won’t commit to playing all their home games at the ground. We had Andrew Abdo here last week telling us this:

"You have to be keeping up with technology, you have to be keeping up with what people want," Abdo said.

"A centre of excellence like this [in Braddon] is superb for the club, a new stadium would be even better for the fans.

"We are working with the NSW government with a plan to modernise and rejuvenate several stadiums in and around the city, and to see more of the 20, 25 thousand seat stadiums which we think is just perfect for rugby league. We will continue thinking about how we can do that across our 16 clubs."

"Providing a great, live event experience for fans is really important for us but if you look anywhere around the world, the location of the stadium is critical," Abdo said.

"Having the stadium located close to where people are and where fans are is obviously really important. Having a modern facility where fans can stay connected and they can get a better live experience is obviously good for our game but it's good for a multitude of sports in Canberra and in the broader ACT, and the broader regional catchment as well.

"If there was investment in a new stadium, we would look to bring NRL content here too, not just the Raiders - Test matches, All Stars, preseason games and the likes."

So he’s saying you need to have NRL games played at Western Sydney Stadiums so as to give fans the best possible game day experience... while pushing clubs to play NRL games at country venues with limited seating and no cover. It doesn’t add up. The AusStadiums site tells us Wagga’s ground has 1500 seats and no cover for the general public.

Camp ground chairs... sitting in blistering sun or rain... that isn’t what fans expect in the 2020s in the NRL. Nor should they.

I take my camp ground chair to Freebody Oval to see the Queanbeyan Kangaroos and I’m paying $5 to get in and a few bucks for a steak sandwich. That sort of afternoon has its place. I enjoy doing it. But that’s the world of what’s close to amateur sport.

You don’t base NRL a teams in small towns for a reason. It’s because their population base won’t support anything other than amateur sport. The code should ensure it stages its professional product at the best grounds... and at grounds where you might grow your crowd and audience.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

im just glad GE hasnt engaged in this discussion as he had already made his points clear
Dont delete this GE
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

simo wrote:im just glad GE hasnt engaged in this discussion as he had already made his points clear
Oh really? Is he pro or con?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Guys, stop it spamming the thread like this. GE has made his position clear!
greeneyed wrote: March 19, 2021, 8:57 amI won’t repeat all the other points I’ve made.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edit double
Last edited by Botman on March 22, 2021, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: March 22, 2021, 7:40 pm Guys, stop it spamming the thread like this. GE has made his position clear!
greeneyed wrote: March 19, 2021, 8:57 amI won’t repeat all the other points I’ve made.
Needed to be said twice!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It did... also ****
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:We won’t be getting a new stadium in Canberra if the main tenant won’t commit to playing all their home games at the ground. We had Andrew Abdo here last week telling us this:

"You have to be keeping up with technology, you have to be keeping up with what people want," Abdo said.

"A centre of excellence like this [in Braddon] is superb for the club, a new stadium would be even better for the fans.

"We are working with the NSW government with a plan to modernise and rejuvenate several stadiums in and around the city, and to see more of the 20, 25 thousand seat stadiums which we think is just perfect for rugby league. We will continue thinking about how we can do that across our 16 clubs."

"Providing a great, live event experience for fans is really important for us but if you look anywhere around the world, the location of the stadium is critical," Abdo said.

"Having the stadium located close to where people are and where fans are is obviously really important. Having a modern facility where fans can stay connected and they can get a better live experience is obviously good for our game but it's good for a multitude of sports in Canberra and in the broader ACT, and the broader regional catchment as well.

"If there was investment in a new stadium, we would look to bring NRL content here too, not just the Raiders - Test matches, All Stars, preseason games and the likes."

So he’s saying you need to have NRL games played at Western Sydney Stadiums so as to give fans the best possible game day experience... while pushing clubs to play NRL games at country venues with limited seating and no cover. It doesn’t add up. The AusStadiums site tells us Wagga’s ground has 1500 seats and no cover for the general public.

Camp ground chairs... sitting in blistering sun or rain... that isn’t what fans expect in the 2020s in the NRL. Nor should they.

I take my camp ground chair to Freebody Oval to see the Queanbeyan Kangaroos and I’m paying $5 to get in and a few bucks for a steak sandwich. That sort of afternoon has its place. I enjoy doing it. But that’s the world of what’s close to amateur sport.

You don’t base NRL a teams in small towns for a reason. It’s because their population base won’t support anything other than amateur sport. The code should ensure it stages its professional product at the best grounds... and at grounds where you might grow your crowd and audience.
The raiders could play 52 games a year in Canberra and it would have absolutely zero influence on Barr.

I remember commenting on this subject, probably about 5 years ago, that Andrew Barr would never support the building of a new stadium in Canberra which didn't somehow involve or benefit AFL. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever that that opinion is wrong.

Everybody knows how amazing it would be to have a stadium in the city. Public transport is better, accessing and egressing the facilities would be better and the city businesses would absolutely love it. Then from completely out of nowhere there is talk of building it at Natex. Nobody thinks that is a good idea. So the ACT government runs another feasibility study to basicly stall again.

Barr does not want it to succeed. He doesn't want it in the city because it would be successful. Trade in the city would improve, but he is so **** petty that he doesn't want that, even considering the increase in government revenue that would bring, because he is an AFL sycophant.

We can bump this thread every 1 to 2 years but while Barr is Chief Minister it will not happen.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hear hear.
Sadly.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

cat wrote: March 19, 2021, 9:49 pm I'm planning on going to magic round this year and may "get it" better after i go

Where is the "magic"?
See the money in your bank account?

<WOOF!>

Now, it's gone.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

see they stuffed up the reserved seats for Wagga. They sold the tickets with row A being the front row and Row F being the back row. It seems someone has now looked at the ground and Row A is the back row and Row F the front row. I had purchased in the back row which on the original tickets were Row F but they have been reissued today as Row A with an email explaining the situation.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Yeah i was the opposite , I'm at the front
Vaccinated