Tigers 13+
No votes

Total votes: 15

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: 2021 Rd 1 V Tigers: Game Day

Post by GreenMachine »

BJ is so brain dead it's hilarious that some people actually wanted him back here...
Easily our best player behind Brooks yesterday not wearing green...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: March 15, 2021, 1:16 pm BJ is so brain dead it's hilarious that some people actually wanted him back here...
Easily our best player behind Brooks yesterday not wearing green...
If anything his discipline is a lot worse at the Tigers than it was for us.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson not a fan of new NRL bunker rules

It's what no self-respecting video referral system wants to hear - comparisons with the English Premier League's under-fire VAR. Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson isn't a fan of the NRL's new bunker protocols and thinks it ruins the moment - not just for the players, but the fans as well.

"Everyone celebrates and gets excited and then it's a bit of a down moment. At least with the video ref you've got a bit of excitement waiting to see if it will be given or not."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Ryan James happy to be back as leadership shows

Ryan James has taken his first step towards a new normal after two knee reconstructions. It will take about four weeks, but after that the Canberra Raiders prop says he'll have put any hesitancy about his knee behind him.

"Once you get through that initial stage and get through a couple of games under your belt everything just starts to fall back to normal ... but I got through it so I was happy."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Amen Josh.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I agree, I'm mostly OK with all the new rules, and i get what they're trying to go with on this, but it's very unsatisfying sitting there watching the kicker line up to kick and wondering if the try is in question let alone will stand.

Ill probably get used to it, but after the two called back, those tries to CNK and Rapana, it's just sitting there feeling uneasy waiting to see if they let the try stand. Even the Young try, which was as clean as you can get, you're still sort of in a weird spot as a fan not knowing where the officials really stand on it

Id like to encourage the officials make more calls and rely less on VR. The challenge system is still imo best placed to solve the problems

The referee makes his decision and if the team wishes to challenge that decision they can. I would suggest 3 per game, with a 4th being issued if the team correctly challenges the three prior... but i've heard the case put and i cant really argue it that is should be a limit on unsuccessful challenges, as a team should be able to challenge as many times as they like if they're right. So after say 3 incorrect challenges, you're out
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I like the new system and I think we'll get used to it.

And at the end of the day, they didn't get anything wrong.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

The new system is unnecessary really.

What’s wrong with the ref going upstairs and checking for infringements in the lead up to tries before he awards it ?

Nothing..

But hey..it’s another screwing of the rules. it will never end.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Agree with PJ. I just don't understand why the new system is necessary. Before awarding a try, the on-field ref should ask the VR if they have concerns that something leading to the try may have been contentious. If the VR has no concerns then award the try, if they do then go up to the bunker with an on-field decision and let the VR test it.

If we're sticking with this system I'd prefer the on-field ref to be a bit more cautious before awarding a try. If the try comes off the back of a spilt ball, kick or a messy offload then they should get the VR to test it.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:17 pm Agree with PJ. I just don't understand why the new system is necessary. Before awarding a try, the on-field ref should ask the VR if they have concerns that something leading to the try may have been contentious. If the VR has no concerns then award the try, if they do then go up to the bunker with an on-field decision and let the VR test it.

If we're sticking with this system I'd prefer the on-field ref to be a bit more cautious before awarding a try. If the try comes off the back of a spilt ball, kick or a messy offload then they should get the VR to test it.
The issue I see with the system is the reverse happening, it they're only reviewing everytime the ref blows the try and not when they disallow one, then the refs are just naturally going to be blowing more tries.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The issue with the old system is they take 8 and a half years to make the decision.

The idea is to review as the kicker is coming back for the clear cut howlers, but a couple needed a few extra looks.

I'd personally rather the VR be scrapped unless it's a captain's challenge

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:22 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:17 pm Agree with PJ. I just don't understand why the new system is necessary. Before awarding a try, the on-field ref should ask the VR if they have concerns that something leading to the try may have been contentious. If the VR has no concerns then award the try, if they do then go up to the bunker with an on-field decision and let the VR test it.

The issue I see with the system is the reverse happening, it they're only reviewing everytime the ref blows the try and not when they disallow one, then the refs are just naturally going to be blowing more tries.
Which I think might just increase the frustration for the players and fans.

I honestly don't see how the previous system was broken enough to fix it...and this fix seems a bit odd.

Don't get me wrong, the VR got it right both times on the weekend, but I think the reversals could have been avoided.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The”if it ain’t broken don’t try to fix it”thing doesn’t resinate with our rule committee..
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I certainly think it reduced the excitement for celebrating tries live at the ground yesterday.

Needs a bit of a tweak to get it right.

I’d still be happy for the bunker to overrule when a clear foot into touch or dropped ball happens. But if the refs not sure, he should still send it up for review, not just award it immediately.

It wasn’t until the conversion was taken that I knew it was a try. And that wasn’t very exciting.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:34 pm

I honestly don't see how the previous system was broken enough to fix it...and this fix seems a bit odd.

Don't get me wrong, the VR got it right both times on the weekend, but I think the reversals could have been avoided.
The biggest problem I've always had with the VR system is that the video ref overturns the on-field ref's decision on calls that look 50/50. They just shouldn't do that, it should be a "howler", otherwise stick with the on-field call.

Fortunately they got them all right on the weekend, but that wasn't due to the new system vs the old, just that there were two howlers overturned and they got them both right.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Refs were absolutely pathetic on the weekend, theres just no consistency, whens the NRL gonna fix this and b accountable,
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We all love the fast paced game, the entertainment. But it’s all getting too much. It’s a simple game and I feel for the referees..I do.

All these rule changes are being made to speed up the game, entertain the crowd.

The wingers have become such superior athletes with remarkable try scoring feats the rule committee decided that corner posts were obsolete..
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Its just not good enough tho Peej. We need consistency
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:00 pm I like the new system and I think we'll get used to it.

And at the end of the day, they didn't get anything wrong.
But we still could have had all the decisions correct before an actual try was awarded?
Seeing points being posted then taken off is very dissatisfying.....plus you lose the time on the clock from when the try was awarded up until the ref realises that the bunker wants to change outcome...
Not a fan of it all...sometimes these ideas look good on paper but in practice...rubbish.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:44 pm Refs were absolutely pathetic on the weekend, theres just no consistency, whens the NRL gonna fix this and b accountable,
Agree 100%..
Across all the games it was anyone's guess...
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:51 pm Its just not good enough tho Peej. We need consistency
The refs are under the pump keeping up with all these changes..year in/year out. They’re content with getting through 80mims without controversy..job done.

The refereeing has been bog for ages no doubt about it.

But imo the powers that be ain’t helping.

I’m old school..one ref, no video, cop the decision and play on. Of course we aren’t going back to that, there’s been way too much coin invested to just throw it all away..

I miss the 80s/90s version.

I love the game, it’s been in my blood for 50yrs. It’s getting difficult to keep up.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I'm going to try and delay my ref outrage for, hmmm, ever, this season.

Goes nowhere and it's just a detriment to enjoyment of the game to me.

Rule change speculation, I'm A OK with. But I do wish they'd just stop fluffing around with it. It's made the Big Bash an embarrassment.
1 rule wind-back (removing a previous stupid rule) + 1 new alteration at most each season. That way they can't add any more silly changes without removing some of their current shennanigans (20:40 and 2pt FG I'm looking at you hardest but there's plenty more to be culled).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BJ wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:42 pm I certainly think it reduced the excitement for celebrating tries live at the ground yesterday.

Needs a bit of a tweak to get it right.

I’d still be happy for the bunker to overrule when a clear foot into touch or dropped ball happens. But if the refs not sure, he should still send it up for review, not just award it immediately.

It wasn’t until the conversion was taken that I knew it was a try. And that wasn’t very exciting.
I don't think it reduced the celebration, not initially anyway. Maybe after two tries were awarded and then disallowed. The worst thing was the hollow feeling left after seeing those two "tries" - both of them were great, everyone was excited - only for the moment to be ripped away. Sure they were correct calls yesterday, but the old system built anticipation at least. This system just leaves you in the uncertain position of never knowing that the decision to award a try is going to be overturned - and for a bigger disappointment if an awarded try is overturned.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I don't even think it saves that much time, TBH. The George Williams try, which eventually ended up being pulled back for the Sutton penalty - he blew it, George was halfway set up for the kick, and then he blew it to go upstairs, and then it was reviewed, and then it was no try. It really felt like it took longer than if he'd just sent it up to begin with.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

But previously some referees were sending everything up to the VR and it was ridiculous. This way they still check every try scoring situation and if it is all good, play on, if it requires further consideration the goal kicker is told to wait a minute. I prefer it this way.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

I prefer it this way with the defending side having 2 review challenges (kept if successful). I hate the review of every try option.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

simo wrote: March 15, 2021, 6:01 pm I prefer it this way with the defending side having 2 review challenges (kept if successful). I hate the review of every try option.
Agreed
Something like that is the best solution
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: March 15, 2021, 6:07 pm
simo wrote: March 15, 2021, 6:01 pm I prefer it this way with the defending side having 2 review challenges (kept if successful). I hate the review of every try option.
Agreed
Something like that is the best solution
Yeah, probably work better. Whatever the situation we still need competent people in the Bunker. Some decisions over the weekend don't fill me with confidence on that part.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

raiderskater wrote: March 15, 2021, 5:10 pm I don't even think it saves that much time, TBH. The George Williams try, which eventually ended up being pulled back for the Sutton penalty - he blew it, George was halfway set up for the kick, and then he blew it to go upstairs, and then it was reviewed, and then it was no try. It really felt like it took longer than if he'd just sent it up to begin with.
It wasn't saving time... it was losing time as the clock was ticking down yesterday. We lost game time. They were saying on NRL 360 that the NRL "didn't think of that" and are looking to change it already.

The problem I have with this new procedure is the one mentioned on NRL 360. The fans see the points go up on the board... the Viking horn sounds... everyone feels great. And then... the fans feel a sense of loss that you wouldn't feel under the old system. Is the NRL trying to make the fans feel good or disheartened about their game experience? Everyone I sat with yesterday simply hated this new procedure, and looking at other social media, there's a lot of people in that camp all talking about it.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 15, 2021, 7:48 pm
raiderskater wrote: March 15, 2021, 5:10 pm I don't even think it saves that much time, TBH. The George Williams try, which eventually ended up being pulled back for the Sutton penalty - he blew it, George was halfway set up for the kick, and then he blew it to go upstairs, and then it was reviewed, and then it was no try. It really felt like it took longer than if he'd just sent it up to begin with.
It wasn't saving time... it was losing time as the clock was ticking down yesterday. We lost game time. They were saying on NRL 360 that the NRL "didn't think of that" and are looking to change it already.

**** WOT?
They didnt think of how the rule would impact the actual time on the clock?
Jesus.

Wild stuff. I think V'Landys is mostly doing a good job but a constant and fair criticism is the game is jumping around a lot and not really pressure testing these ideas to the level required.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's a fail

Simple fix, call time off as soon as the try is scored. I don't know why it's only in the last 5 mins that time on the clock is so important to call time off

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: March 15, 2021, 8:13 pm
**** WOT?
They didnt think of how the rule would impact the actual time on the clock?
Jesus.

Wild stuff. I think V'Landys is mostly doing a good job but a constant and fair criticism is the game is jumping around a lot and not really pressure testing these ideas to the level required.
I have been a big fan of Vlandys impact so far on the game as a whole. But yeah, if he has an area to work on, it's these half baked ideas like this new VAR system, 2 pt field goals& 20:40s. They are literally not thought through, let alone trialled at lower grades etc for feedback.

You can put 6 again for most infringements in the same category of rushed through. Some of these ideas turn out to be winners but everything is rammed through without full consideration or due process. These things really should be trialled in a NSW or Qld cup or SG Ball or something for a season, the effect observed, then assessed. He should dial back the tinkering next season.

They have enough lower grade games at telecast venues to try things like the video ref variations out of the NRL spotlight.

At the end of the day, the NRL is a good game. Pissfarting around constantly with the product won't take it to the next level. It's fluff really. Major things like broadcast, expansion, player protection, transfers, COVID, growing the game in NZ/Pacific or other markets, the rep calendar, international footy, grassroots participation/penetration vs AFL...

I'd rather see all those on the agenda before even wondering if suddenly making a FG worth 2 pts, or kicking an obscure distance or if the 5th iteration of the video ref system will magically create the one that no one argues about (haha). Don't major in the minors Peter, it's not your style and honestly a waste of his impressive talents at getting the real stuff done.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I'm pretty sure the set restart for a ruck infringement was trialled before, maybe in an all stars game?

I don't have any issue with it, it gets rid of those four boring defensive grind games where there's 47 penalties and 37 warnings about a sin bin. The restart for offside sucks though, especially when you're coming off your own line

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

-TW- wrote:That's a fail

Simple fix, call time off as soon as the try is scored. I don't know why it's only in the last 5 mins that time on the clock is so important to call time off

Yep. I remember watching Annesley's media conferences a year or two back and he was claiming the ball being in play longer as some sort of massive achievement. I just thought at the time, why do they just let teams wind down the clock if the ball being in play longer is so important? I find it pretty annoying watching players looking at the clock before a drop out or feeding a scrum.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:42 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 15, 2021, 3:34 pm

The biggest problem I've always had with the VR system is that the video ref overturns the on-field ref's decision on calls that look 50/50. They just shouldn't do that, it should be a "howler", otherwise stick with the on-field call.

Fortunately they got them all right on the weekend, but that wasn't due to the new system vs the old, just that there were two howlers overturned and they got them both right.
I agree.

To some extent the 6 again rule has taken a bucket load of pressure off the refs. Nobody is scrutinising those decisions because there is no time to do so.

I like the assumption that the on-field ref should have the defining say on whether a try is scored. The VR shouldn't overrule the ref if the call is 50/50. At the end of the day, whatever problems we had seemed to be with the people rather than the system - to that extent, changing the system has just made it worse IMO.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I still don’t think it’s worse yet, I just think we should give it a few more rounds to get used to it before we piss and moan about every little rule change