All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Your 2021 Ladder Prediction

Post by zim »

We now have a pretty good idea of how every team will be lining up for round 1 and the NRL ladder predictor is live. What are everyone's thoughts on how the ladder will end up?

Survey is here:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/WNWNFZL

Ladder Predictor is here:
https://ladderpredictor.nrl.com/ladder

There's a collection of predicted lineup's here:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/01/04/rou ... d-line-up/
Obviously some of those will shift but it's a good refresher of who might have switch clubs or who has an injury.

Results will be posted an hour before the kick off of the first game on Thursday night (11/03).

Edit for results:
1) Rabbitohs
2) Raiders
3) Storm
4) Panthers
5) Roosters
6) Eels
7) Titans
8) Knights

9) Sea Eagles
10) Warriors
11) Cowboys
12) Tigpies
13) Sharks
14) Bulldogs
15) Broncos
16) Dragons

The top 2 were very close as were 3 and 4. After 5th place we see a big drop off to 6 and 7. Then a huge drop off to the knights at 8th.
9-14 is relatively close. Then a big drop to the Broncos and another drop to the dragons as the clear spoon favourites.
Last edited by zim on March 11, 2021, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Your 2021 Ladder Prediction

Post by Botman »

1. Storm
2. Raiders
3. Eels
4. Roosters
5. Panthers
6. Rabbitohs
7. Sea Eagles
8. Sharks
9. Knights
10. Titans
11. Warriors
12. Bulldogs
13. Tigers
14. Cowboys
15. Broncos
16. Dragons
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I filled out the survey, but if I filled it in again, it'd probably be different. Such is the difficulty of the exercise.

I think the Storm will find life without Cameron Smith tougher than people are expecting. Panthers to slide a bit and Eels to be out of the top four. I think the Rabbitohs are being overrated at the moment. Roosters could slide further. Sharks to miss the top eight and Titans to make it.

Top four, no particular order: Raiders, Storm, Panthers, Rabbitohs
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

1. South Sydney
2. Canberra
3. Melbourne
4. Penrith
5. Gold Coast
6. Parramatta
7. Tigers
8. Bulldogs
9. Sydney
10. North Queensland
11. Newcastle
12. New Zealand
13. Brisbane
14. Cronulla
15. Manly
16. St George Illawarra
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

My top 4 and bottom 4 are probably similar to most people. I have the Roosters missing the top 8 more out of wishful thinking than anything but I think the Roosters and Eels will continue to fall down the ladder this year
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2021, 3:26 pm I filled out the survey, but if I filled it in again, it'd probably be different. Such is the difficulty of the exercise.

I think the Storm will find life without Cameron Smith tougher than people are expecting. Panthers to slide a bit and Eels to be out of the top four. I think the Rabbitohs are being overrated at the moment. Roosters could slide further. Sharks to miss the top eight and Titans to make it.

This year I've set it up so you can change your answer. Feel free to fiddle right up until close.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Top 4 - Raiders, Bunnies, Storm, Panthers in whatever order.

Bottom 4 - Dragons, Broncos, Tigers, Bulldogs to battle for the spoon.

Tigers will finish just outside the top 8 as usual. The rest are interchangeable on the ladder.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Top 4 - Raiders, Bunnies, Storm, Panthers in whatever order.

Bottom 4 - Dragons, Broncos, Tigers, Bulldogs to battle for the spoon.

Tigers will finish just outside the top 8 as usual. The rest are interchangeable on the ladder.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

1. Raiders
2. Storm
3. Rabbitoes
4. Roosters
5. Panthers
6. Eels
7. Knights
8. Sea Eagles
9. Sharks
10. Titans
11. Warriors
12. Bulldogs
13. Tigers
14. Cowboys
15. Broncos
16. Dragons
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Your 2021 Ladder Prediction

Post by Sid »

1. Rabbitohs
2. Storm
3. Panthers
4. Raiders
5. Roosters
6. Eels
——————-
7. Broncos
8. Titans
9. Sea Eagles
10. Knights
11. Cowboys
12. Warriors
13. Sharks
14. Tigers
15. Bulldogs
16. Dragons

Grand final Rabbitohs vs Storm

Last edited by Sid on March 2, 2021, 6:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

1. Rabbitohs
2. Raiders
3. Panthers
4. Storm
5. Roosters
6. Eels
7. Titans
8. Knights
9. Sea Eagles
10. Tigers
11. Cowboys
12. Bulldogs
13. Dragons
14. Warriors
15. Sharks
16. Broncos
Last edited by Wiki Special on March 2, 2021, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Raiders 5th.
Rabbitohs vs ?? In Grand Final
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I at first thought Manly would improve this year but I watched the "highlights" oftheir trial the other day and they were nearly as bad as the Dragons who looked to be in contention for the worst team post WW1.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

A lot of their cap didn't play the trial.
Although I have them down the ladder as well given their problems in key positions.

Anyone who's got them up near or in the 8 keen to share your thoughts?
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

1. Storm
2. Rabbits
3. Panthers
4. Raiders
5. Roosters
6. Eels
7. Titans
8. Bulldogs
9. Knights
10. Cowboys
11. Manly
12. Tigers
13. Dragons
14. Warriors
15. Broncos
16. Sharks

Truth be told I have NFI.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2021, 3:26 pm I think the Storm will find life without Cameron Smith tougher than people are expecting.
Just like when they lost Slater, and Inglis, and Folau, and Cronk, and Kimmorley, and Nikau, and Lazo, and Hill, and Bai, and...

:lol: I kid, i know you're not one of them.
I hadnt caught up with the news, and i was pretty fine with them moving from Cam Smith to Harry Grant but i just read that Grant is out for a decent chunk of time, so i do think they'll have some teething issues.I wouldnt put the storm as minor premiers now with the Grant injury
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote:
greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2021, 3:26 pm I think the Storm will find life without Cameron Smith tougher than people are expecting.
Just like when they lost Slater, and Inglis, and Folau, and Cronk, and Kimmorley, and Nikau, and Lazo, and Hill, and Bai, and...

I hadnt caught up with the news, and i was pretty fine with them moving from Cam Smith to Harry Grant but i just read that Grant is out for a decent chunk of time, so i do think they'll have some teething issues.I wouldnt put the storm as minor premiers now with the Grant injury
Brandon Smith says hold my beer

Meanwhile, anyone tipping the roosters missing the 8 has genuinely no idea how good a coach Trent Robinson is
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: March 2, 2021, 8:15 pm
Botman wrote:

Brandon Smith says hold my beer

Meanwhile, anyone tipping the roosters missing the 8 has genuinely no idea how good a coach Trent Robinson is
Yeah Cheese is a legend and they absolutely could still win the MP but Grant is a big out
The system is the system
they'll be there when the whips are cracking

re: the roosters, they still got Keary right? Still got Teddy? Radley's back? OK. They're in my top 4
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think there are a few teams that should slip, ie Storm, Roosters a little and I don't think Panthers can go as well as they did last year.

But

Who the hell has really improved their roster significantly? Titans, yeah. I don't see any improvement on the other sides from 7 (knights) down to the **** broncos.

I thought there was a big gap between the top 6 and the rest last year and I think that gap is only going to be bigger this year. There is going to be some massive blow outs this year. Some posters will blame the rules but the reality is there are some really bad sides and still some dud coaches.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gergreg wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:17 pm I think there are a few teams that should slip, ie Storm, Roosters a little and I don't think Panthers can go as well as they did last year.

But

Who the hell has really improved their roster significantly? Titans, yeah. I don't see any improvement on the other sides from 7 (knights) down to the **** broncos.

I thought there was a big gap between the top 6 and the rest last year and I think that gap is only going to be bigger this year. There is going to be some massive blow outs this year. Some posters will blame the rules but the reality is there are some really bad sides and still some dud coaches.

I had the same sense. There were a whole lot of teams with a reason to slip. But then when I looked who would make the top four, there was no one to jump over those teams.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Tigers have improved. So have the dogs. But they're both coming from low positions.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:Tigers have improved. So have the dogs. But they're both coming from low positions.
Yeah I dunno about the tigers. I like Maguire as a coach but they looked awful on both sides of the ball last year. At times Douehi was the only spark in attack and he looks on the outer. Tough to hide Brooks and Liddle in defence and the 2 Leilua's can also completely switch off in defence. It is quite possible that they redeem themselves this year and return to the coveted 9th position.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:24 pm Tigers have improved. So have the dogs. But they're both coming from low positions.
Titans and Warriors too. I only see the Titans with a top eight chance.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:31 pm
zim wrote:Tigers have improved. So have the dogs. But they're both coming from low positions.
Yeah I dunno about the tigers. I like Maguire as a coach but they looked awful on both sides of the ball last year. At times Douehi was the only spark in attack and he looks on the outer. Tough to hide Brooks and Liddle in defence and the 2 Leilua's can also completely switch off in defence. It is quite possible that they redeem themselves this year and return to the coveted 9th position.
They've burnt me before too. They've had other seasons where they look like they're turning the corner coming in and then have flopped by round 6.
This season they've made some pretty big changes to their engine room so they've got some depth there now. I think Tamou is going to be a big plus for them on and off the field. The younger Leilua looks set for a big year. Laurie looks very promising.
Their results last year indicate that they're up and down like you mentioned so it could be another case of a flop.

Given who they've got going around at hooker I would have been tempted to try Mbye out there and have Douehi in the 6. Was always going to be a learning curve for Douehi making the shift to 6. Maybe it went balls up in pre-season. Although I've read elsewhere that he's supposed to be at fullback in round 1.
Madge would be desperate for Mbye to turn it on. Still has 2 more years of that ridiculous contract on the books.

Edit:
They've also just signed this absolute unit of a raw talent. Was averaging 230m a game in Q Cup before returning home and getting stuck due to covid.

Last edited by zim on March 2, 2021, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:32 pm
zim wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:24 pm Tigers have improved. So have the dogs. But they're both coming from low positions.
Titans and Warriors too. I only see the Titans with a top eight chance.
Don't know why I forgot the Titans. They've probably improved the most?
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

I did all 25 rounds and this is what I got:

1. Rabbitohs
2. Panthers
3. Storm
4. Raiders
5. Titans
6. Eels
7. Roosters
8. Sharks
9. Bulldogs
10. Knights
11. Warriors
12. Cowboys
13. Sea Eagles
14. Tigers
15. Broncos
16. Dragons

Bit surprised to see the Sharks make the 8 but I feel like they have a very favourable draw as I'm not high on them but they still made it.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think the bunnies will be hard to stop.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

1-4...Raiders Roosters Wabbits Panthers
5-8...Storm Eels Titans Knights
9-12..Sharks Warriors SeaEagles Cowboys
13-15.Tigers Bulldogs Broncos

16. Dragons
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:
gergreg wrote: March 2, 2021, 9:17 pm I think there are a few teams that should slip, ie Storm, Roosters a little and I don't think Panthers can go as well as they did last year.

But

I had the same sense. There were a whole lot of teams with a reason to slip. But then when I looked who would make the top four, there was no one to jump over those teams.
I expect there to be some really entertaining football, but maybe not so great for purists like you and Red who love tight, defensive battles.

The comp looks weak imo. We're a real shot this year if things go our way and we play well. Also need a few young guys to make the step up.

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: March 2, 2021, 3:26 pm I filled out the survey, but if I filled it in again, it'd probably be different. Such is the difficulty of the exercise.

Agree about the Storm...i have them falling to bottom of the 8 if they lose Smith.
Their roster is too good to miss the finals..

I think this is our best chance for minor premiership...that's my tip too, provided covid doesn't rear it's ugly head and were forced to play home games away from home...
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: March 2, 2021, 7:07 pm A lot of their cap didn't play the trial.
Although I have them down the ladder as well given their problems in key positions.

Anyone who's got them up near or in the 8 keen to share your thoughts?
I think they'll be thereabouts if Trbo, Jrbo and DCE play most of the season. They have some holes in their team but also some quality + a good coach.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Yeah you're right. Looking back on my predictor choices I'm expecting turbo to miss large parts of the season.
They have such an odd dynamic that they're almost thought of as a 1 man team even with the Australian halfback and lock in the side.
hobbsy
Glenn Lazarus

Post by hobbsy »

1. Raiders
2. Rabbits
3. Eels
4. Roosters
5. Panthers
6. Titans
7. Storm
8. Bulldogs