All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by GreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: April 30, 2021, 2:33 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: April 30, 2021, 11:08 am Gordon Tallis suggested last night that Broncos should make a play for Josh Hodgson
I'd be OK with that to be honest.

Time to renew. Rapa has been good this year, but we should immediately be planning for life without Croker, Hodgson and Rapana starting 2022.
Smart clubs would plan this way.
Instead we’ll most likely see the back of Papalli, Tapine and Lui beforehand...
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

The outside backs are slim pickings in the next couple of years, so re-signing our young guys is priority #1:
Raiders 2021 - HSS, Kris, Valemei, Savage and Hoppa. I reckon we re-sign the 1st 2, good chance we take Valemei, we would be crazy to not get Savage, and who knows about Hoppa. Hard to prove your worth if you keep getting injured. The punt on him might not have worked.

Timoko is 2022.

Looks like we have centres covered, and Savage will provide some much needed speed once he comes of age.

I suspect we will need to find some gun Jrs aka Walsh or Walker, on top of our guys, but here is a list of possible options:

2021:
Meaney - Id be looked at him as next yrs Aekins. Also a handy backup GKer.
Hynes - FB, if you can bring yourself to move CNK to wing or centre, Hynes looks a decent option.
Iremia - Storm winger. Looked good in the trials.
Mann - Between him and Wighton, you could have a decent 6 and 1. Though I suspect both want the 6 jersey.
Hoy - He wont play 1 behind Ponga. They also like Crossland at 6. So can he win that spot? We could offer #1 (refer to Hynes)
Drinky - Refer to Mann and Hoy.
Burns - injury history is a serious worry, but when fit is a gun centre.
Dufty - Would add much needed speed to our backline (refer to Hynes/ Hoy/ Drinky).
Billy Smith - another with injury history. Was going to be Latrells replacement until he blew his knee, so they got JMoz.
Cini - Tigers winger. Killing it in NSW Cup ATM.

2022:
Farnsworth - 1 decent player at Bronx. Can play centre or wing.
Isaako - GKer. Winger only. NEVER FB.
Averillo - with Dogs stocking up on backs, and revamping the halves, seems the odd man out. GKer, can play any of the back 6 spots. He wheels.
Hammer - not that I see Cows letting him go, but speeeeeeeed!
Sami - One of Titans better players IMO, but seems to be the reserve back ATM, Don and Herbert favored over him and centre and wing.
Spry - Behind Sami, but good wraps.
Dunster or Penisini - Poach the Eels young guns backs!
Edwards - refer to FB issues above, but they will want Staines at FB soon surely.
Momirovski - underrated IMO. Is a genuine try scorer. Though has become a journeyman.
Feagai's - Steal the Drags young gun brothers.
Manu - will probably want a retirement package, and possibly FB spot - refer above.
Kepaoa - ACL injury doesnt help his cause, but was good for Tigz last yr, but his form reflects the Tigers this yr.
Talau - Another Tiger outside back that looks bad in a bad side. Was a gun Jr though.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Thanks for that Matt - good read and agree with your priority re-signings. Do you know what the go is with Reimus Smith? Looked the goods scoring a treble tonight. I haven’t seen much of him. Is he locked up long term or perhaps did i just see his one and only good game?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

**** missed the Storm game. Anyone know how Hynes went?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

afgtnk wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:13 pm **** missed the Storm game. Anyone know how Hynes went?
Stats look good.

1 line break, 2 line break assists, 2 try assists, 4 kicks defused, 1 error. Ran 138 m but we'd be buying precisely because he can do all those other things, not churn out 200m in gutsy runs back in behind the ruck.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: April 30, 2021, 8:11 pm Thanks for that Matt - good read and agree with your priority re-signings. Do you know what the go is with Reimus Smith? Looked the goods scoring a treble tonight. I haven’t seen much of him. Is he locked up long term or perhaps did i just see his one and only good game?
Pretty sure he got a 3yr deal. So 2023 off contract
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

afgtnk wrote: April 30, 2021, 9:13 pm **** missed the Storm game. Anyone know how Hynes went?
Balling playing FB. Slick in the backline. Storm shredded the Sharks. Half of the spine was on the pine with 10 to go. Good under the high ball.
Was never really pressured defensively.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Matt wrote: April 30, 2021, 3:32 pm Isaako - GKer. Winger only. NEVER FB.
I would have agreed with you here before watching last night's game
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Hynes was great. He would be an excellent addition to the squad. He's never going to reach Papenhuyzen or Tedesco levels but we don't need him to do that. We would just need him to provide his current level of play and anything beyond that is a bonus.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 1, 2021, 8:13 am Hynes was great. He would be an excellent addition to the squad. He's never going to reach Papenhuyzen or Tedesco levels but we don't need him to do that. We would just need him to provide his current level of play and anything beyond that is a bonus.
Wonder is the club even looking? Ball player to add zing to the right, FG standard defence and running game from what I've seen, wouldn't cost much and CNK being a budget FB option means we can move him out to centre or wing and still not be breaking the bank anywhere in the back 5 yet by any means.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I've seen no indication that the club is looking for anyone. We must be the quietest team in the player market talk right now
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 1, 2021, 8:08 am
Matt wrote: April 30, 2021, 3:32 pm Isaako - GKer. Winger only. NEVER FB.
I would have agreed with you here before watching last night's game
Even Flash Gordon played well at FB occationally
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2021, 10:22 am I've seen no indication that the club is looking for anyone. We must be the quietest team in the player market talk right now
Completely agree...
You would think Hynes and Issako are two quick ways to improve our backline..

1. Hynes
2. Issako
3. CNK
4. Kris
5. Simmo/Timoko/Savage eventually

There is more power, speed and run metres in that backline.

You'd find a new home for Scott and medically retire Croker.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by LastRaider »

We need to go after Xavier Coates. He still hasn’t resigned with the bronco’s and is a real game breaker. He is the strike we need in the backline

1. CNK
2. Valemei
3. Coates
4. Kris
5. Rapana*

*With such a revamped backline we will need to ask Rapana to find another year of his best for experience

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

I think a lot of clubs will want Coates. He is tossing up going to Storm apparently. We'd be next to no chance
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

GreenMachine wrote: May 1, 2021, 10:40 am
Canberra Milk wrote: May 1, 2021, 10:22 am I've seen no indication that the club is looking for anyone. We must be the quietest team in the player market talk right now
Completely agree...
You would think Hynes and Issako are two quick ways to improve our backline..

1. Hynes
2. Issako
3. CNK
4. Kris
5. Simmo/Timoko/Savage eventually

There is more power, speed and run metres in that backline.

You'd find a new home for Scott and medically retire Croker.
As much as I'd love to have Isaako on the wing, I'm doubtful that we'd be able to bring him over here without paying overs for a winger
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

With these backline speculations, bottom line is we should have retained Cotric and put in the time to develop him as a world class centre or a Greg Inglis type fullback

Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

The time is right to bring the Lee cousins home in 2022.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

LastRaider wrote: May 3, 2021, 2:01 pm With these backline speculations, bottom line is we should have retained Cotric and put in the time to develop him as a world class centre or a Greg Inglis type fullback
:lol:
That's quite a bottom line

The bottom line might be that we hang on to Scott and CNK and put the time in the develop them into the next Mal Meninga and James Tedesco
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

LastRaider wrote: May 3, 2021, 2:01 pm With these backline speculations, bottom line is we should have retained Cotric and put in the time to develop him as a world class centre or a Greg Inglis type fullback

trollolololol
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: May 4, 2021, 9:00 am
:lol:
That's quite a bottom line

The bottom line might be that we hang on to Scott and CNK and put the time in the develop them into the next Mal Meninga and James Tedesco
While we're at it lets develop Starling into a Cam Smith type. Convince George to stay and turn him into a Cooper Cronk. No reason Simo can't become another Lote Tuqiri.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Widdop for g Williams?
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Neeeegz wrote: May 4, 2021, 9:58 am Widdop for g Williams?
I'd take that as long as the Raiders poached an up and coming junior gun HB to prep.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

No more English recruits please...not unless you want to hear about 'homesickness' every time contract negotiations come around...
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

GreenMachine wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:07 am No more English recruits please...not unless you want to hear about 'homesickness' every time contract negotiations come around...
Or everytime there's a worldwide pandemic.

This guy.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:30 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:07 am No more English recruits please...not unless you want to hear about 'homesickness' every time contract negotiations come around...

This guy.
Yeah I call Bull on grown men crying about homesickness when there's money involved..
But I digress...have you stopped glitching all over the forum and are ready to offer anything aside from "stick solid" or "bleed green"?
This muppet.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

It's really sad to see us in this position - with overpaid ageing players and not competing for any talent on the market. I see Newcastle is having a go at Staggs. We need someone like him at our club. We didn't have a go at Naden who went to Canterbury or Coates who looks like going to Melbourne. They were the best backs on the market. I really hope Savage comes good and it's time to give him a go like NZ have done with Walsh, Easts with Walker
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

GreenMachine wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:49 am

This guy.
Yeah I call Bull on grown men crying about homesickness when there's money involved..
But I digress...have you stopped glitching all over the forum and are ready to offer anything aside from "stick solid" or "bleed green"?
This muppet.
And that's why you're objectively the worst of our latest batch of trolls and idiots.

And it's a hot field to be leading too, congratulations.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2021, 11:24 am

This guy.
This muppet.
And that's why you're objectively the worst of our latest batch of trolls and idiots.

Says the Lord of all trolling...
:roflmao
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

GreenMachine wrote: May 4, 2021, 11:28 am

This guy.
This muppet.

Oh yeah, I wasn't calling you a troll...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: May 4, 2021, 11:35 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 4, 2021, 11:28 am

This guy.
This muppet.

Oh yeah, I wasn't calling you a troll...
Keep on garbling...
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 4, 2021, 10:49 am It's really sad to see us in this position - with overpaid ageing players and not competing for any talent on the market. I see Newcastle is having a go at Staggs. We need someone like him at our club. We didn't have a go at Naden who went to Canterbury or Coates who looks like going to Melbourne. They were the best backs on the market. I really hope Savage comes good and it's time to give him a go like NZ have done with Walsh, Easts with Walker
Agree on all points. We need to go after a gun centre/winger and roll the dice on Savage. If I was Ricky, i'd give him a week in NSW cup then straight into first grade. If other clubs are willing to bet on 18 yo's, why can't we...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ok... if the Lolo disharmony is true, and our 2 big boppas want out. Lets grab him.
We still need a winger, and I dont know where we are getting that from.
I really hope we arent in the halves market, coz im not a fan of any of them really, but with Walkers rise, maybe we could chase Lam (not that daddy would like leaving the tri-colours).
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Lam is a horrible player. Drew Hutchison has outplayed him.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Lam is an ok depth player, particularly given he can play hooker. But yeah, not for first choice half. I think Botman is right, if GWilly leaves, then the strategy should be to hold out for the next gun junior, and pounce