Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I missed NRL360 tonight - too many work meetings and will watch it delayed plus the Tigers’ documentary. Was Baldy smiling or laughing when they mentioned Brooks to Canberra ?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

To clarify... the discussion on NRL 360 was more like...

Hooper: The Wests Tigers telling me that they're not looking to off load Luke Brooks.

Rothfield: Not correct. Another coach told me that his club was offered Luke Brooks two weeks ago, but the Wests Tigers wanted two players in exchange. Coach's response was, interested in Luke Brooks, but I'm not giving up two players. Coach told me in confidence, so I won't mention the club.

Hooper: Would the Raiders be interested? Was it the Raiders?

Rothfield: I'm not indicating the club concerned. It was told to me in confidence.

Hooper: Would Brooks be a good signing for the Raiders?

Rothfield: Yes I think he would be a good signing for Ricky.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't see Ricky telling Buzz anything tbh

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

greeneyed wrote: July 19, 2021, 8:50 pm To clarify... the discussion on NRL 360 was more like...

Hooper: The Wests Tigers telling me that they're not looking to off load Luke Brooks.

Rothfield: Not correct. Another coach told me that his club was offered Luke Brooks two weeks ago, but the Wests Tigers wanted two players in exchange. Coach's response was, interested in Luke Brooks, but I'm not giving up two players. Coach told me in confidence, so I won't mention the club.

Rothfield: I'm not indicating the club concerned. It was told to me in confidence.

Madge probably wanted Papa and Tapine in exchange for Brooks ..... :lol:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I didnt see the segment, i dont really watch any of the talk show stuff, dont think it's very well done, or involves people who really know what they're talking about...so im entirely basing this off GE's context there... but

Dread it
Run from it
Destiny arrives all the same.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: July 19, 2021, 8:50 pm To clarify... the discussion on NRL 360 was more like...

I think the most telling sign in that was how quiet Kenty was. I haven’t seen him stay out of a discussion for a while…
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

I'm very worried now - when Buzz said he would be a great signing for Ricky, Kent was smiling, and Von caught him out

PLEASE HELP US!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Brooks is coming home.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 19, 2021, 8:56 pm

Madge probably wanted Papa and Tapine in exchange for Brooks ..... :lol:
If we could offload Scott and Hors/James for Brooks it would be a dead set win. Anyone else and probably not. I really don't think this is any more than a beat up though.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: July 19, 2021, 9:21 pm Brooks is coming home.
:lol: :lol:
**** this is going to be a fun time. I can not tell you how excited i am for it.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

FROG wrote: July 19, 2021, 7:21 pm I think the point is that Frawley would deliver much better value which could allow us to bank some cash to target a real big fish in the future. I know you are all in on Brooks but you haven't many friends in this department and for good reason. He is not the answer.
In the future :lol:

Mate. We don't have an eternity to sign someone. Can't go on for years until all the planets align in hope that we land ourselves the jewel in the crown. It's fantasy.

There is a paucity of quality halves in the game. It's been like that for 5, 10 years now. Any star player will be ridiculously hard to shift, unless we identify them young. Very young. They'll need big money to move too, which will no doubt be deemed a huge risk by the GH faithful if it eventuates. Other than that, develop your own. Not many coming up for us on the horizon unfortunately.

Comparing Frawley to Brooks is simply embarrassing. You're comparing a first string halfback, who will EASILY land a first string gig at another club, to a guy who's done his time in first grade and was signed as our fourth string.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

haha - is it Curtis, is it Brooks?
BTW I couldn't understand what he was saying to the team when Madge asked him for his views in the half time talk against us in Rd 1 (Wild Wests Tales From Tiger Town: Episode 1).
Imagine Papa, Tapine, Hodgson, Jack, Whitehead etc. looking quizzically at each other thinking **** during his first half time talk....
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

greeneyed wrote:To clarify... the discussion on NRL 360 was more like...

Buzz, are you holding four aces in your hand?

Hoops, I've not telling you my cards.

Ok Buzz, do they have the letter A in the top corner?

They might, (Buzz) grins like a 2 y/o kid.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I stayed out of the Brooks discussion for the most part because I thought it was just speculative... but now that there's a bit more smoke, I think I'd even prefer Milford...

Look he could do a job, like I said before. He *could* go up a level at a new club.... hmm I dunno. I have heard he's not the sharpest tool in the shed either
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

According to someone "in the know" on the tigers forum, hudson young was offered as a swap, one poster on there wants young and tapine which is ludicrous and another rocket scientist on their forum was saying no to Sutton if he was on offer, Sutton is miles ahead of what their rabble of a forward pack have to offer.

https://weststigersforum.com/topic/3096 ... 1?page=270
Last edited by greeneyed on July 20, 2021, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links are required by site guidelines
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Lol thinking they can have the pick of our pack... they can have Curtis Scott thanks
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

chris83 wrote: July 20, 2021, 12:09 am According to someone "in the know" on the tigers forum, hudson young was offered as a swap, one poster on there wants young and tapine which is ludicrous and another rocket scientist on their forum was saying no to Sutton if he was on offer, Sutton is miles ahead of what their rabble of a forward pack have to offer.

None of that has much credibility. radicalraider could stir things up over there I’m sure. Then they’d have some real inside info.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Watch the Tigers' documentary; it is a crack up. Brooks on his 150th game vs Roosters is too weak to break the banner, and has at least 3 try causes with weak defending. Brooks seems like dumb as on the documentary. Not the most confident guy.

After seeing and listening to Justin Pascoe their CEO on the documentary, I'm glad we have Donny.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I too always look for banner breaking ability and a Rhodes Scholar when wanting a halfback.

Absolute must - especially under Vlandysball.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2021, 12:20 am
chris83 wrote: July 20, 2021, 12:09 am According to someone "in the know" on the tigers forum, hudson young was offered as a swap, one poster on there wants young and tapine which is ludicrous and another rocket scientist on their forum was saying no to Sutton if he was on offer, Sutton is miles ahead of what their rabble of a forward pack have to offer.

None of that has much credibility. radicalraider could stir things up over there I’m sure. Then they’d have some real inside info.
Typical IQ of a West Tigers supporter: "if we were trading Brooks we can do better than Hudson Young and Tapine". Hahahaha :lol:
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

chris83 wrote:I had a dream a month or 2 ago we signed brooks, I woke up in a cold sweat. This signing will be as bad as when we released future hall of famer LUKE PAGE !!!
Or Mitch Cronin

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

dubby wrote:
chris83 wrote:I had a dream a month or 2 ago we signed brooks, I woke up in a cold sweat. This signing will be as bad as when we released future hall of famer LUKE PAGE !!!
Or Mitch Cronin

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
RIP

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
afgtnk wrote: July 19, 2021, 9:21 pm Brooks is coming home.
Image Image
**** this is going to be a fun time. I can not tell you how excited i am for it.
All the foundation work has already been done.

We win and it's all off the back of Brooks' efforts. We lose and it's our pack that failed to lay the platform for Brooks. There'll be plenty of comparisons to the miserable tigers pack for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

greeneyed wrote: July 20, 2021, 12:20 am

:roflmao
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

According to Danny Weidler we rejected Ash Taylor for $300,000 and Brooks: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c61f8e1778
Seamonkey
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Seamonkey »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 20, 2021, 8:10 am According to Danny Weidler we rejected Ash Taylor for $300,000 and Brooks: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c61f8e1778
If true and we aren't willing to take a 300k gamble on Taylor then geez there mustn't be much confidence we can get the best out of players.....

Such a low risk for the possible reward.
If you can accept losing, you cannot win.

Winning is not everything, but wanting to win is

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 20, 2021, 8:10 am According to Danny Weidler we rejected Ash Taylor for $300,000 and Brooks: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c61f8e1778
Weidler is guessing on both.

Rothfield saying Brooks was offered for 2 players in return. I can't think of anybody on our roster Sticky would dislike that much he'd send them to the Tigers for Luke Brooks.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Obviously it was just speculation on the Tigers forum but if an NBA GM traded for the equivalent of Luke Brooks and gave up the equivalent of Tapine and Young he'd be fired in 6 months.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The Tigers are the classic sports team overvaluing their asset.
Guys... you've been trying to move this contract for 18 months and absolutely no one wants any part of the deals you're offering. Perhaps take a deep breathe, and either lower your expectations about what you'll get in return or accept you're stuck with the contract and get on with it.

The league very clearly does not value Luke Brooks the way the Tigers do in these negotiations.
If the Raiders are interested, and i think they are at the right price... there would be two ways i would go about this:

1. Simple deal: They pay 50% freight, and we'll send them Horsburgh if there is mutual interest in that from both sides. We're heavy in the forwards, he's not really kicked on the way you'd hope and seems to have fallen right down the pecking order, we have a couple of young forwards coming through. Fresh start for him seems best.

2. You take our ****, we take most of yours: They pay 30% freight, and they take on Curtis Scott deal. We hold our nose and pay 600k for Brooks over the next two years, but we free up the Curtis Scott money completely. They move on from a player they dont really want, and take a 2 year gamble on at a position of need
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

This reminds me of the CHN saga last season. And much like the delusional dogs fans, they'll get nothing in return
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: July 20, 2021, 8:30 am The Tigers are the classic sports team overvaluing their asset.
Guys... you've been trying to move this contract for 18 months and absolutely no one wants any part of the deals you're offering. Perhaps take a deep breathe, and either lower your expectations about what you'll get in return or accept you're stuck with the contract and get on with it.

The league very clearly does not value Luke Brooks the way the Tigers do in these negotiations.
If the Raiders are interested, and i think they are at the right price... there would be two ways i would go about this:

1. Simple deal: They pay 50% freight, and we'll send them Horsburgh if there is mutual interest in that from both sides. We're heavy in the forwards, he's not really kicked on the way you'd hope and seems to have fallen right down the pecking order, we have a couple of young forwards coming through. Fresh start for him seems best.

2. You take our ****, we take most of yours: They pay 30% freight, and they take on Curtis Scott deal. We hold our nose and pay 600k for Brooks over the next two years, but we free up the Curtis Scott money completely. They move on from a player they dont really want, and take a 2 year gamble on at a position of need
Both options are good deals for the Raiders. I will confidently say the Tigers would immediately hang up the phone both.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

Brooks is so uninspiring. I haven't watched many Tigers games this year but I caught some of the game against the Broncos. All he does it shovel the ball side to side, kicking game is average, predictable. He plays like someone who has no passion for the game and just does it for a job.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

mongoose wrote: July 20, 2021, 9:17 am Brooks is so uninspiring. I haven't watched many Tigers games this year but I caught some of the game against the Broncos. All he does it shovel the ball side to side, kicking game is average, predictable. He plays like someone who has no passion for the game and just does it for a job.
I was vaguely on board but I'm the same, I watched the Bronx game and he just was going through the motions, then I watched the tigers documentary and he doesn't seem to be interested, the only time he spoke he was nonsensical
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Raider Azz wrote: July 20, 2021, 8:50 am

This reminds me of the CHN saga last season. And much like the delusional dogs fans, they'll get nothing in return
That request for gate earnings was one of the weirdest takes I've ever read. Thought I'd had a stroke.