All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by MrPosh »

Israel Folau anyone?

Looking to stay in Australia. Was imperious last season and would easily be amongst the best in the league and in a weak position for the Raiders.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2020

Post by greeneyed »

No. Next question.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

MrPosh wrote: February 3, 2021, 7:04 pm Israel Folau anyone?

Looking to stay in Australia. Was imperious last season and would easily be amongst the best in the league and in a weak position for the Raiders.
You're havin a bubble bath surely.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

never

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: February 3, 2021, 7:57 pm No. Next question.
OK. Why not?

(I don't disagree, by the way, just trying to work out why bigotry is more of a no-no that drunk driving or assault).
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MrPosh wrote: February 3, 2021, 8:47 pm
OK. Why not?

(I don't disagree, by the way, just trying to work out why bigotry is more of a no-no that drunk driving or assault).
He’s not going to be good for club culture in my view. People make mistakes, but in Israel Folau’s case, he shows no sign of acknowledging the harm he has done others in promulgating those views and won’t withdraw. That’s his right, but it’s also the right of the code to say it’s not consistent with our values, so we don’t wish you to represent our sport. Personally I don’t think it’s consistent with the values of any decent, caring society either.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m ruling him out for the simple reason that Folau would have difficulty training at the new Braddon facility knowing the gay rainbow roundabout was less than 100m away.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

greeneyed wrote: February 3, 2021, 9:42 pm
MrPosh wrote: February 3, 2021, 8:47 pm
OK. Why not?

He’s not going to be good for club culture in my view. People make mistakes, but in Israel Folau’s case, he shows no sign of acknowledging the harm he has done others in promulgating those views and won’t withdraw. That’s his right, but it’s also the right of the code to say it’s not consistent with our values, so we don’t wish you to represent our sport. Personally I don’t think it’s consistent with the values of any decent, caring society either.
Agree entirely.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

MrPosh wrote: February 3, 2021, 7:04 pm Israel Folau anyone?

I bet you think you’re hilarious
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Agree with GE on Folau, but going a little further.

When they say sport is a business it means much more than just the 'horse-trading' of players. Elite sport cannot survive without a high level/value of sponsorship. With the rise in social media over the past decade sponsors can no longer ignore negative feedback to their product/service or involvement with a particular sport. Negative publicity can (and does) snowball and has the potential to cripple a business. If sports, such as the NRL, want to attract and maintain sponsorship dollars they cannot afford disruptive players like Folau.

It is much more cut and dry with players who have broken the law. In some cases the courts deal with misbehaving players and if not Reptars integrity unit punishes the player.

What Folau has done doesn't break any laws - which I don't agree with, but that is another matter - so the courts or integrity unit cannot do anything about it. But his comments and complete lack of remorse are incredibly divisive and put simply he is not worth the risk.

Edit. And just to add, this is the guy that cut and run on our sport for the highest bidder and now that he has burnt his other bridges, comes crawling back. Did he also pile **** on rugby league after leaving or was that the other mercenary (K.Hunt)?

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Given the Dragons pulled out of discussions with him, you definitely know the corporate backlash was significant.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Seiffert82 wrote: February 4, 2021, 9:26 am Given the Dragons pulled out of discussions with him, you definitely know the corporate backlash was significant.
What a surprising outcome. Who could possibly have foreseen that?
Dont delete this GE
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

simo wrote: February 4, 2021, 9:38 am
Seiffert82 wrote: February 4, 2021, 9:26 am Given the Dragons pulled out of discussions with him, you definitely know the corporate backlash was significant.
What a surprising outcome. Who could possibly have foreseen that?
St George Bank was reported in the SMH to have said they would have to re-evaluate their sponsorship if they signed him. They're the Dragons' longest-running sponsor and image hit would have been huge as far as trying to sign a replacement.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Ricky staurt

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Green Beers »

Maika sivo anyone for 2022 to replace rapana?
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Green Beers »

I’d pay him $600,000 he is a game buster
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Green Beers wrote:Maika sivo anyone for 2022 to replace rapana?
dunno about his knees, by then he'll be 29

Edrick The Entertainer
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

No way I'd fork out big coin on sivo or any other winger until we have a good look at Tomoko and HSS.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

600k? Lol.
Hes a no for me. Hes very much on a downward trajectory. Very few high impact, heavy collision players have long quality careers. All tend to have a break out year where they burst onto the scene, followed by years of career decisions or injury.
Dont delete this GE
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Im philosophical opposed to paying wingers that sort of money. If we wanted to shell out that sort of money for a winger, Cotric would still be a Raider.

You dont win premierships paying top of the range for finishers. The roosters let Mitchell walk, they let Fergo walk, the storm are happy to wave goodbye to Addo-Carr and Vunivalu. These are absolutely elite footballers who the two best teams in the comp are comfortable seeing walk.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Laughable
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

You never pay spine money to wingers, that's how you end up like the Bulldogs

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Good player but agree, not at 600k and certainly not if we baulked at 500k for Cotric who is a far safer long term bet and possibly still improving.

Few wingers maintain super high levels across a medium contract so they break out and look a million dollars and then often come back to the pack and are just good FG wingers but not worth breaking the bank for. Even Rapana at his peak was probably 2 years of incredible stuff and then just a good 'average" winger.

So you're better off as people say, paying lower rates for promising players and hoping to capture their lightning in a bottle years at a good rate, maybe with a slight upgrade but never paying as if they will be incredible forever.

Halves and hookers however you may well get 5, 6, 7 whatever excellent years worth top dollar.

There's probably the odd exception. I'd be very surprised if Dogs don't get decent value out of Cotric for the duration as a strike centre or winger. But would it be more value than a club who has the next boom rookie winger of the next couple of years on 200k? Maybe not.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cotric could be a really good signing for them, but I'm always a bit suspicious of players who reportedly want to leave the club to test out their fame in the bright lights of Sydney.

All the best to him though. He was really good for the Raiders. It's sad to see a top shelf local junior leave the club. He might come back like Joel Monaghan did.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think we'll see him at another club making the most money he can. Barring injury, at the end of his dogs contract he'll be 25 and still in and around that rep scene. That 25-28 contract could be his peak years.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I just can’t see Cotric becoming the player he could have become at the Bulldogs.

He will be a very good player there and will certainly break tackles and score tries.

I just wonder how he’ll feel if Raiders win a premiership and/or he goes through a finals drought.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

wingers are like running backs in the nfl. Milk them to death as rookies on cheap contracts then move on to the next one when they are looking to get paid
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne

Post by Belcher#1 »

BJ wrote: February 25, 2021, 11:23 am I just can’t see Cotric becoming the player he could have become at the Bulldogs.

He will be a very good player there and will certainly break tackles and score tries.

I just wonder how he’ll feel if Raiders win a premiership and/or he goes through a finals drought.
who knows where the dogs will go but they are putting together some very nice pieces. They are in a very similar position to the titans last year; their duds on massive contracts are leaving and sorting out the clubs back of house. If they can sign a quality hooker like B Smith for next season then the top 4 is very possible
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

600k?

Mate, c'mon. That's Croker money.
Green Beers
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Green Beers »

afgtnk wrote: February 25, 2021, 2:25 pm 600k?

To be fair I did have a half bottle of rum under my belt when I post this lol , yeh a bit much, how about $400,000 $450,000
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: February 25, 2021, 2:25 pm 600k?

I know this is facetious but there’s a multitude of reasons that Croker is worth more money than Maika Sivo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske

Post by MrPosh »

Belcher#1 wrote: February 25, 2021, 1:03 pm
BJ wrote: February 25, 2021, 11:23 am I just can’t see Cotric becoming the player he could have become at the Bulldogs.

who knows where the dogs will go but they are putting together some very nice pieces. They are in a very similar position to the titans last year; their duds on massive contracts are leaving and sorting out the clubs back of house. If they can sign a quality hooker like B Smith for next season then the top 4 is very possible
Barrett's got a pretty low ceiling as a coach - I think he'd struggle to get the Kangaroos into the top four.
Jado639
Gerry De La Cruz

Post by Jado639 »

Dane Gagai off contract at the end of the season.

Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

As is Edrick Lee - looks like Newcastle are keen to move him on
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Toviii wrote: March 6, 2021, 3:16 pm As is Edrick Lee - looks like Newcastle are keen to move him on
Someone actually asked on Facebook whether the Raiders would want to re-sign him!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Nah **** him

He will never be forgiven for 2016

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk