Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by 1992 »

Kikau always targets outside backs when running his hard lines. It works well.

Would not want him here and we do not need him.

I still wonder if we could have gotten Reynolds if the club acknowledged the Williams situation earlier.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

1992 wrote: September 9, 2021, 12:53 pm Kikau always targets outside backs when running his hard lines. It works well.

I still wonder if we could have gotten Reynolds if the club acknowledged the Williams situation earlier.
Except for that time he demolished John Bateman
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BadnMean wrote: September 9, 2021, 1:31 pm
1992 wrote: September 9, 2021, 12:53 pm Kikau always targets outside backs when running his hard lines. It works well.

Or when an illegal tackle ruled one of our most important players out for 20 weeks with no repercussions.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

julian87 wrote: September 9, 2021, 1:58 pm

Or when an illegal tackle ruled one of our most important players out for 20 weeks with no repercussions.
Pretty sure CNK had a pre existing injury and the hit wasn't that much. I can see how fans want that to be the narrative of that tackle but I think it's a long bow to draw.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Wowzers
Kikau would be a great pick up

8. Papalii
9. Starling
10. Sutton
11. Young
12. Kikau
13. Tapine

15. Whitehead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Who posted that there are zero chances of any of these "linked players" actually coming?

I suspect it's the start of a long 2 months and that poster is correct.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Dusty wrote: September 9, 2021, 4:41 pm Wowzers
Kikau would be a great pick up

8. Papalii
9. Starling
10. Sutton
11. Young
12. Kikau
13. Tapine

15. Whitehead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Except let's start Tapine and Papalii at prop, CHN over Young (crazy selection to put Young ahead of CHN) and never play a third prop in the lock position under this format...
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Do we need a prop and a blast from the past ? Just kidding
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3079544972
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 9, 2021, 6:53 pm Do we need a prop and a blast from the past ? Just kidding
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3079544972
Joey was a weapon for us most of his career here. I know it would be unpopular but I’d take him back
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

I liked Joey as a player, and in a sense we havent really replaced the skillset he posessed at his best, but I think the juice was squeezed out of him by the time he left. I don't see a first grade career in Joeys future.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

NO ONE HAS QUESTIONED BJ WITH THE BALL....
What about D?
What about motor?
What about effort?
What about consistency?
Errors or brain farts, etc?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

julian87 wrote:
BadnMean wrote: September 9, 2021, 1:31 pm

That tackle wasn't causing a neck injury that severe

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

How can you say that for sure? Sometimes you get injured from completely innocuous stuff if you just get the wrong angle that focuses force in an odd place etc.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Matt wrote:NO ONE HAS QUESTIONED BJ WITH THE BALL....
What about D?
What about motor?
What about effort?
What about consistency?
Gotta love Beej, he's got just a touch too much crazy

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: September 10, 2021, 7:38 am How can you say that for sure? Sometimes you get injured from completely innocuous stuff if you just get the wrong angle that focuses force in an odd place etc.
Cannot be said for sure but probability was that he sustained the injury prior. Commentators said he was in some trouble with head/neck and being treated by the trainer very early in the match. Kikau hit might have been the tipping point.

I think if it was caused by Kikau we'd have heard a lot more about it. Particularly from Sticky.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: September 10, 2021, 8:47 am
What about D?
What about motor?
What about effort?
What about consistency?

His crazy only gets worse when things aren't going well for him.

Shoft to the middle might be a solution. Simplify his role and those other factors will be less prevalent.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: September 10, 2021, 8:53 am
bonehead wrote: September 10, 2021, 8:47 am
What about D?
What about motor?
What about effort?
What about consistency?

His crazy only gets worse when things aren't going well for him.

Shoft to the middle might be a solution. Simplify his role and those other factors will be less prevalent.
He would be decent in attack but I haven't seen much evidence he's got the technique or stomach for the defence in there. (motor questionable but he'd be an impact guy). Plus he'd be even more mental looking for square ups and reacting to all the contact.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

The more I think about it, the more I want Peachey at 13.

I think who we play at 13 next year is potentially even more important than who plays 7. It will open up Wighton and put less pressure on the 7 to produce plays. Peachey plays ad lib and that will suit the Ricky Stuart style, as he won't need coaching / won't need to fit into any system. He is very much a link player and can set up an outside man

Conversely if we buy a solid halfback (solid is the best of what's available) and persist with a lumbering prop at 13, our attack will still continue to stink, almost guaranteed
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 10, 2021, 12:54 pm The more I think about it, the more I want Peachey at 13.

I think who we play at 13 next year is potentially even more important than who plays 7. It will open up Wighton and put less pressure on the 7 to produce plays. Peachey plays ad lib and that will suit the Ricky Stuart style, as he won't need coaching / won't need to fit into any system. He is very much a link player and can set up an outside man

Conversely if we buy a solid halfback (solid is the best of what's available) and persist with a lumbering prop at 13, our attack will still continue to stink, almost guaranteed
Peachy is probably the better version currently of what we're asking Hodgo to do, but Peachy a lot more mobile so can create + running threat. Decent short kicking game too. He's effective in the faster game, that's for sure. Defence would be comparible- Hodgo might be smarter at decisions but Peachy can move sideways.

I'd back the buy but I'm not sure he's a Ricky type player.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

BadnMean wrote: September 10, 2021, 1:31 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: September 10, 2021, 12:54 pm The more I think about it, the more I want Peachey at 13.

Peachy is probably the better version currently of what we're asking Hodgo to do, but Peachy a lot more mobile so can create + running threat. Decent short kicking game too. He's effective in the faster game, that's for sure. Defence would be comparible- Hodgo might be smarter at decisions but Peachy can move sideways.

True, he's actually skilful
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 10, 2021, 2:43 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 10, 2021, 1:31 pm

True, he's actually skilful
I like Peach, but he is also a worse speed bump than Hodgo, so that could be an issue.
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

A signing like Peachey is risky but would give me some degree of optimism heading into next year that the club is considering a different approach
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Dugan now free. Chuck him some Breezers never know what you’ll get…
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

We signed the wrong Fijian winger in Semi. Lumelume is much faster and has better hands
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Brandon Smith is an awesome player. Although I love Hodgson and he's really been the most influential player for us in our most successful period since the last premiership, I would love to use the money freed up by Hodgson to offer it to Smith, and a bit more
pato2j
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: big Mal

Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by pato2j »

Spot on
Sign the big cheese
Has the same sort of winning attitude as Bateman
Bring lumelume with him
pato2j
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: big Mal

Post by pato2j »

Or perhaps not on lumelume
EJ
David Furner

Post by EJ »

pato2j wrote:Or perhaps not on lumelume

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

sprintman wrote: September 10, 2021, 6:05 pm Dugan now free. Chuck him some Breezers never know what you’ll get…
So is Adam Elliott
:lol:
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Peachey makes so many stupid decisions on his dice rolls. But we could do worse for a utility and you'd assume that price has come down quite a bit.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:Peachey makes so many stupid decisions on his dice rolls. But we could do worse for a utility and you'd assume that price has come down quite a bit.
He is very unpredictable, even his team mates have absolutely no idea what he's doing or about to do. One of those players that plays better in a contract year, so proceed with caution.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Haha I agree. I've never been a big fan and I'm still not. But he should finally be at that price point and has a big enough point of difference that it makes some sense. You wouldn't want to be running anymore than a 2 year deal and you wouldn't want him to be in your best 13 every week. Really if you're trying to put together a top 4 push he shouldn't be in your best 13 any week.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Thinking of other players that fit that utility role imagine if we signed Dylan Walker. Back vs forward utility but it would be hilarious.
HoraceBigCigar
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

Ithink who we play at 13 next year is potentially even more important than who plays 7. It will open up Wighton and put less pressure on the 7 to produce plays. Peachey plays ad lib and that will suit the Ricky Stuart style, as he won't need coaching / won't need to fit into any system. He is very much a link player and can set up an outside man

Put Jack @ 13, answers both points
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

HoraceBigCigar wrote: September 11, 2021, 7:24 am

Ithink who we play at 13 next year is potentially even more important than who plays 7. It will open up Wighton and put less pressure on the 7 to produce plays. Peachey plays ad lib and that will suit the Ricky Stuart style, as he won't need coaching / won't need to fit into any system. He is very much a link player and can set up an outside man

Put Jack @ 13, answers both points
If we got someone top drawer like Pearce, we could put Schneider at #6 and Jack to lock and be an improved lineup.

On Peachey- yes I agree with the assessments so far on his weak points- but he still does what we are asking Hodgo to do, better, with honestly the same amount of bonehad plays (Hodgo: running multiple short sides where we have an underlap, awful, awful kicking, crash balls after a break) but more potent in attack. And for half the price... If we don't get a top half, I'd back the addition of a Peachey type.