Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Botman »

It’s like he was in a video game and his player finally hit the sprint button at the 40 metre mark :lol:
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 14, 2021, 1:51 pm
The Nickman wrote: June 14, 2021, 10:47 am
julian87 wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:38 am Luke Brooks is the worst genuinely full time halfback in the NRL (now that George Williams is gone)

You’re genuinely better off with Sam Williams.
Wait, wait... are you saying George Williams was WORSE than Luke Brooks?

Surely you're NOT saying that!
That's why this is not even a proper discussion. There are blokes like Dearden, Fogarty, Kelly, Townsend and Averillo running around and somehow Brooks is the worst of the lot.
So 10 clubs have first choice halfbacks that are obviously better.

Leaving Canberra, Canterbury, NQ, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Fogarty isn’t gray but has definitely been better than Brooks over the last season imo.

Cowboys you scrub because their first choice halfback just medically retired. Then they gain Townsend who is bland af but imo, still a safer, better performer at NRL level.

Dogs and Broncos yeah fair enough id say their first choices are about on par but it’s arguable either way imo.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Botman wrote: June 14, 2021, 3:32 pm It’s like he was in a video game and his player finally hit the sprint button at the 40 metre mark :lol:
:roflmao
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
julian87 wrote: June 14, 2021, 11:51 am
julian87 wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:38 am Luke Brooks is the worst genuinely full time halfback in the NRL (now that George Williams is gone)

As a halfback.

George Williams is a ball running supporting half who had success in England in teams that not only had a halfback but the most halfback like loose forward of the modern era of rugby league. So up until last season he’s genuinely played all of his club football as 3rd string chime in when it suits playmaker. He’s decent in that role.

But as a halfback, he was the worst.
Couldn't disagree more. I'd have George Williams in my team as halfback over Luke Brooks every single day of the year.
Easily, we also probably had a George Williams playing at half rat power cause he didn't want to be here once covid hit

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:29 am For those wondering if Brooks is available, Tigz are rumoured to be talking to Pearce now. He isnt off contract either.
So...
NRL and the validity of their contracts, right
The tigers have been trying to get out of the Brooks business for awhile now
They've dropped Brooks twice in the last 12 months, he's probably 1-2 more performances like his game against the eels from being dropped again. They've signed a guy from the ESL who plays in the halves and they're consistently rumoured to be involved in talks with other halves

Anyone who thinks the tigers are committed to Luke Brooks has rocks in their head. The only reason he's still there is the contract is so bad that it's almost unmovable. Reports put the deal at 900k a season (https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/luke- ... 33c929de08) and they're going to have to pay AT LEAST 450k of freight on that to move him, maybe more

But make no mistake about it, the Tigers would dearly love to ship him off to another club if they could find one willing to take the plunge on Brooks and financial terms weren't too prohibitive for the tigers cap
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

julian87 wrote: June 14, 2021, 3:35 pm

That's why this is not even a proper discussion. There are blokes like Dearden, Fogarty, Kelly, Townsend and Averillo running around and somehow Brooks is the worst of the lot.
So 10 clubs have first choice halfbacks that are obviously better.

Leaving Canberra, Canterbury, NQ, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

Fogarty isn’t gray but has definitely been better than Brooks over the last season imo.

Cowboys you scrub because their first choice halfback just medically retired. Then they gain Townsend who is bland af but imo, still a safer, better performer at NRL level.

Dogs and Broncos yeah fair enough id say their first choices are about on par but it’s arguable either way imo.
Yeah, I just can't agree that Brooks is worse than the likes of Fogarty or Townsend, but appreciate that others see it that way. I think he's also better than the likes of Sezer and Flanagan, who have also played in the halves for a top tier team.

George Williams is an interesting comparison as he's and out and out 5/8 shoehorned into the halfback role. Brooks is a better pure halfback IMO, but perhaps not a better player on the whole.

Anyway, I get that Brooks' papers have been stamped. It's fair enough - his team have been perennial losers. Personally I think he's good enough to do an adequate job at the right price. You don't get to be Dally M halfback of the year if you're a complete dud.

Ultimately it's a moot point. I doubt he's a player on Stuart's radar. We don't need one of the top 5 halfbacks though. Someone in the conversation of being one of the top 8-10 halfbacks will be an improvement.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Brooks is comfortably in the top 8 halfbacks playing in the NRL IMO.

People seem to have trouble removing a player from their team when judging the two. You only have to see games like the one yesterday against the Eels to know how bad many of his teammates are. He's one of the few bright lights along with guys like Luciano and Doueihi.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 14, 2021, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

afgtnk wrote: June 14, 2021, 4:51 pm Brooks is comfortably in the top 8 halfbacks playing in the NRL IMO.

People seem to have trouble removing a player from their team when judging the two.
Brooks is a major reason the Tigers are so bad
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

No chance. He's easily the best player in their spine.

Put guys around him that aren't total potatoes and he'll succeed. Tigers' recruitment is absolutely shocking and has been for ages.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

afgtnk wrote:Brooks is comfortably in the top 8 halfbacks playing in the NRL IMO.

People seem to have trouble removing a player from their team when judging the two. You only have to see games like the one yesterday against the Eels to know how bad many of his teammates are. He's one of the few bright lights along with guys like Luciano and Doueihi.
Brooks goes missing in attack when good opposition turns up the heat and he racks up the good stats when the opposition isn’t at their best.

I’m also concerned by his defensive decisions way too often.

I’m comfortable in putting him outside the top 8 for halfbacks in the comp.

I’d have him if we can’t sign any top 8 halves, but if he’s as good as you say, why would Tigers release him and why would they occasionally drop him?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I strongly believe it's his team that's inherently inferior to teams higher up the ladder, particularly the forward pack. Yesterday against the Eels they were simply outclassed across the park. His dummy half shat his dacks, his five-eighth was an embarrassment, and most of his forwards played like complete spuds offering minimal threat. Brooks was giving it everything - certainly not missing. Very similar to how I've seen him against other high calibre opposition.

I don't care who your half is, no one player is dragging a side single-handled to victory in those situations in the current game.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

afgtnk wrote: June 14, 2021, 4:51 pm Brooks is comfortably in the top 8 halfbacks playing in the NRL IMO.

Cleary
DCE
Reynolds
Walker/Keary
Hughes
Hunt
Pearce

Moses/CHT/Johnson

Yeah real comfortably in the top 8 halfbacks 😂
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Top 8 COMFORTABLY... my goodnesss.
Im not even going to argue the guys on teir 3 or 4, guys like Fog and Pearce, which i think there is at least 3-4 guys whose game tape is unquestionable far superior to Brooks in the last 2 years... so lets just stick to these 8 guys

Cleary, Keary, Hughes, DCE, Reynolds, Moses, Johnson, Sam Walker
Who in this group is he comfortably better?

Who is this group if even fit the carry the jock strap of?
And you chucked around head knock cracks about Julian's halfback takes? Jesus

COMFORTABLY! ajkhasha on some Chrissy Sandow ****
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

****-ALL
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Halfbacks that are ahead of Brooks:

Cleary
Pearce
DCE
Hughes
Moses
Walker

That's about it. I'm not comparing him to all halves, hence guys like Johnson and Keary aren't in there. Only regular starting 7s at each club. Even a player like Walker, despite the considerable talent he's showing, is probably too early to be judged. We've seen plenty of highly talented 1-2 year wonders throughout the years in the halves.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That’s not it, my guy
😂
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I think it's pretty clear there's a number on here who have marked Brooks' card and are unwilling to see any evidence that points to the contrary tbh, which seems to be pretty common amongst fans in the game when judging certain players.

He's quality right now and has been for a number of seasons, aside from 2020.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Forget Brooks, make an offer to Dylan Brown…
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I wouldn't mind Brown. Not developing quite like he was early on, and seems to be increasingly outshone by Moses, but he's got plenty of quality in his game. Still only 21 too.

Problem is, it's difficult for a club like ours to pry away a key player from a club contending. Our best bet is rummaging through those in trouble for our diamonds in the rough, IMO.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I reckon we could do a lot worse than sign Norman on ~400k per year for the next two years. Trouble with this bloke is his off field connections. I also wonder if he has a strained relationship with stick after he signed him to the eels but left before actually coaching him
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Norman plays about 4 games a year which are absolutely top level and then for the other 20 he just doesn't seem interested. Impossible to get a read on the bloke.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont know that we could do a lot worse than Norman
Im not sure we're going to do much better either

the options we're debating here are all pretty awful.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Far out, of all the names mentioned, there are few I'm out and out against. Corey Norman is very much one of those
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

I was thinking about Corey Norman as he is unwanted at the Dragons. He seems to have loads of talent and probably got away with not putting in the hard yards growing up - sheer talent got him through. But at the NRL level you get found out if you dont. Thats why he is in the position he is in now, on the outer. He just doesn't have the desire to work hard enough to consistently be an elite level player at the top level.
He would not be suited to a club like the Raiders. but probably would do well in the ESL.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Looks like the club is heading into the direction of trying to buy a 7 that will steer the team around since hodgson is leaving.. leaving us with a running hooker.. I disagree with this move, but it seems like we aren't willing to offer hodgson the 3 yrs he's after but willing to offer atleast a couple of years to widdop.. doesn't make sense to me
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

Need a new winger?

Solo Wane
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Hand Solo..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

woppadingo wrote: June 14, 2021, 11:14 pm Need a new winger?

Solo Wane
Nice run. No idea about the rest of his game but The Hunters would have a few worth going after. QLD sides are already onto this and began poaching HUnters players with lowish but great for PNG guys money to come from Hunters into their feeder QLD Cup teams basically as soon as the Hunters arrived in the comp.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

We need a genuine halfback with a quality kicking game. Number 1 priority. Not sure Cory Norman offers that.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

I don't mind Fogarty, i would have him at the Raiders for a good price. Brooks is probably equal to Townsend and even then Chad has big game experience, Brooks doesn't....
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

mongoose wrote: June 15, 2021, 11:27 am

I don't mind Fogarty, i would have him at the Raiders for a good price. Brooks is probably equal to Townsend and even then Chad has big game experience, Brooks doesn't....
Yeah, I just can't get on board the Fogarty thing. Like a worse, slower version of Chris Sandow or Josh McCrone. Too inconsistent for mine.
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

Anyone else hearing Harley-smith-shield might be signing with the Tigers? was having a look through their forum and is being mentioned as a potential signing. Bloody hope not i think he is going to be a special player.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I like him too but we can't keep every centre, at some point we have to choose
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think letting him go would be an error. But at some point you do have to make choices
Id pick him over both Timoko and Kris. But that's a lot about just my veiw on who has the best overall potential, and ignores the runs on the board, which obviously the club probably cant do.
bayraider
Noa Nadruku

Post by bayraider »

But if you don't have Jarrod and Curtis guess we can keep him?