Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Would signing Pearce, Brown and Sims move the needle for next year?

Wighton to 13; Sims to fight it out with EW, Hudson and CHN for our starting edge spots; Pearce to the 7 and Brown to 6?
Up The Milk
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 11, 2021, 1:28 pm Would signing Pearce, Brown and Sims move the needle for next year?

Wighton to 13; Sims to fight it out with EW, Hudson and CHN for our starting edge spots; Pearce to the 7 and Brown to 6?
I like this Mickey,add Kikau for 2023 and we look very good. :cmon
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 11, 2021, 1:28 pm Would signing Pearce, Brown and Sims move the needle for next year?

We'd be better. We'd be back in the 8
We wouldnt contend and i also dont believe that is happening because Brown is being sought out as a halfback option. It'll be a halfback and Wighton in the halves.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I have this nagging feeling tapine will go which would free kikau cash

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

bonehead wrote: September 11, 2021, 7:55 pm I have this nagging feeling tapine will go which would free kikau cash

Considering our dwindling talent in the front row that'd be a silly move.

I think we need to keep Taps.

Also surely, moving on Williams, Scott, Hodgo, Croker and James would fre enough $$$ to get someone like Kikau even without moving on Taps.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

CHT to be allowed to talk to other clubs. I know he has been mentioned around here but I have no idea what he offers that we need. For mine his strength is defence, so I could only see him stepping into Wighton's role while we shift Wighton somewhere else. But I don't understand why anyone would displace Wighton to accomodate CHT.

The other concerning thing for me is his age. Already 22 and he hasn't shown any improvement in ball playing, running or kicking game in his time in first grade. I have him in the Corey Norman mould, he just seems to exceed in any particular aspect of the game.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/warr ... w-contract
deanoman
Brett Mullins

Post by deanoman »

Suli off to the Dragrons. Geez I hope we made a play for him at least. Absolute beast
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

deanoman wrote: September 12, 2021, 8:06 am Suli off to the Dragrons. Geez I hope we made a play for him at least. Absolute beast
Apparently they paid massive overs for him, 5 or 6 hundred a season, I wouldn't be paying that much for a centre who can't make first grade
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He might make a pretty decent centre, his defence and ball running is a long way ahead of Kris for example. But we have other good centre options in HSS, Timoko and/or Charnze. Not who we should be looking for.

We need a halfback and a proper lock first of all. Maybe an edge and another winger after that. Centres and FBs would be last on our list for next season at this stage.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Apparently CHT will be allowed to test the market. May not be the answer but then again he could be the best option out there. I'd be happy if we signed him.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: September 12, 2021, 12:09 pm Apparently CHT will be allowed to test the market. May not be the answer but then again he could be the best option out there. I'd be happy if we signed him.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
I still don't understand what CHT (edit) is supposed to be as a player. Not runner or creator. Does he have a good kicking game?
Last edited by BadnMean on September 12, 2021, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

He’s a second rower for the Raiders
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

gangrenous wrote:He’s a second rower for the Raiders Image
Hingano?
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

reptar wrote: September 12, 2021, 4:19 pm
gangrenous wrote:He’s a second rower for the Raiders Image
Hingano?
Nah, he's a winger
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

By the looks of it Ash Taylor isnt getting a new contract at the Titans, havent seen anything official yet . We are looking at him apparently
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:By the looks of it Ash Taylor isnt getting a new contract at the Titans, havent seen anything official yet . We are looking at him apparently
see halfback thread

Edrick The Entertainer
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

I really don't want Pearce. The Knights are one team who's attack is worse than ours and he is a big reason for that. Very uncreative and robotic player.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

mongoose wrote: September 15, 2021, 1:11 pm

I really don't want Pearce. The Knights are one team who's attack is worse than ours and he is a big reason for that. Very uncreative and robotic player.
Both the knights and raiders have a major issue that inhibits their attack far more than the personnel on the footy field.
Their HC's, neither of which have adjusted well to the new normal and are intent on trying to grind wins out to the detriment of their football team
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Pearce is the highest quality half available- by a margin imo. Whether he is the best choice due to price and contract length demands I don't know. If he's 100k more than Brooks- worth it, 300k more- maybe not. Is he twice as good as Taylor? Probably not.

I'd be happy enough with Pearce for say 2 seasons + club option 3rd@500k. That would be a good deal. If its closer to 700k- maybe not.

Taylor on a 1 year + 2 and 3 club options at 300k/500k/600k would also be a good deal. Because he could potentially find a groove and improve at a new club (and if he's worth keeping at half, he's worth paying).
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

we had better be looking at bj as a prop
Dont delete this GE
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

simo wrote:we had better be looking at bj as a prop
perfect 13

Edrick The Entertainer
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

bonehead wrote: September 16, 2021, 11:41 am
perfect 13

I actually don't hate it
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Botman wrote: September 15, 2021, 1:35 pm
mongoose wrote: September 15, 2021, 1:11 pm

Both the knights and raiders have a major issue that inhibits their attack far more than the personnel on the footy field.
Their HC's, neither of which have adjusted well to the new normal and are intent on trying to grind wins out to the detriment of their football team
Which was absolutely astonishing from Newcastle given they had Pearce, Ponga and Watson at 13. It's astonishing how much poorer they were with the inclusion of Clifford. That extra solid half-back plonked on the left and stifling Ponga was deadset the opposite of what they needed in 2021.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

It'd be interesting to hire a really successful Toyota Cup coach from ten years ago as your attack coach and see how they go.

That's basically what the game is now.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Timbo wrote:It'd be interesting to hire a really successful Toyota Cup coach from ten years ago as your attack coach and see how they go.

That's basically what the game is now.
I’ve been saying for a while now that this is the time to get the Walker Bros into the fold
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
valemei94
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Semi Valemei

Post by valemei94 »

Bureta Faraimo was spotted at Cafe Momo having a coffee and a Gene Feed with Don Furner
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

valemei94 wrote:Bureta Faraimo was spotted at Cafe Momo having a coffee and a Gene Feed with Don Furner
No he wasn't, Momo isn't even open

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why would they be at Cafe Momo anyway? The Raiders moved to Braddon two years ago!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:
valemei94 wrote:Bureta Faraimo was spotted at Cafe Momo having a coffee and a Gene Feed with Don Furner

I think he means having beers with Polky

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
bonehead wrote: September 16, 2021, 11:41 am
perfect 13

I actually don't hate it
I wasn't overly serious but if you could get him fit enough, like 2017/18, and put him on the bench he'd be a pretty good foil in the middle with his hard running, good hands, step, dummy half running.
Defence reads would be the worry as I used to berate Buttriss for over committing on someone else's man creating problems on the edge.

Edrick The Entertainer
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

-TW- wrote: September 16, 2021, 11:18 pm

Well, that was short lived :lol:

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
valemei94
David Shillington

Post by valemei94 »

greeneyed wrote: September 16, 2021, 11:20 pm Why would they be at Cafe Momo anyway? The Raiders moved to Braddon two years ago!

Soliola goes to momo all the time !!
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

valemei94 wrote: September 16, 2021, 11:00 pm Bureta Faraimo was spotted at Cafe Momo having a coffee and a Gene Feed with Don Furner
Trying to persuade Furner to join him at Castleford for 2022?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

But isn’t John Folau Don’s coffee buddy?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
valemei94
David Shillington

Post by valemei94 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: September 17, 2021, 5:30 pm
But isn’t John Folau Don’s coffee buddy?
He has many Coffee Buddy’s