Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yeah well when I think of other twinkle toe speedsters, Shaun Johnson, Benji Marshall... they did lose their pace/evasiveness after a certain point

I think if we can get him for $400-500k and he plays like a $700k player, that would be a great result. I don't expect his floor to go below that of a $400k player, he's not that bad, he's just not his former self. He doesn't have to be as good as before, because back then he genuinely was worth a mill. I don't think he will accept that low anyway though, and I expect Sticky will stick with CNK. Also he's homesick etc blah
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:
Matt wrote: April 15, 2021, 7:41 am Unpopular thought, and I suspect I know your thoughts, but, would u give Milf 500k to play FB?
I would normally think that's a really good idea, but i think he's been in the good paddock too long. I cant see him every getting back into shape and getting his speed back to play fullback
Agree. I can think of plenty of young talented spine position players who lost their mojo and never returned to their original level of play.

I can’t think of any players off hand who came back to something approaching their initial levels later in their career.

Phil Blake at South’s maybe. Someone will have a few rare examples.

Many spine players hold a reasonable level of play through the ups and downs of their career (I’d put Pearce and Kimmorley in this group) but many players end up like Dugan, Moylan, Brookes, Mullen etc etc and cant reignite the past.

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

even if he did get back in to shape he's never going to have the speed/agility of his 19/20 year old self.

Players like Marshall and Johnson at least built very good passing and kicking games that have kept them to be decent players in there later years once there physical attributes started to wane, Milford has never really had any strengths other than his speed/step/evasiveness when he was young. maybe in a different system he develops those skillsets but without doing so he was destined to lose effectiveness with age
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

kiwi raider wrote: April 15, 2021, 2:06 pm even if he did get back in to shape he's never going to have the speed/agility of his 19/20 year old self.

Players like Marshall and Johnson at least built very good passing and kicking games that have kept them to be decent players in there later years once there physical attributes started to wane, Milford has never really had any strengths other than his speed/step/evasiveness when he was young. maybe in a different system he develops those skillsets but without doing so he was destined to lose effectiveness with age
He's definitely got a good short kick imo. And if you watch 2015 highlights, could really pass too. He's got the skills of Marshall/SJ I have no doubt, but whether he's got the motivation/professionalism/footy brain etc, not sure

Moylan, yeah don't know what happened with him. You are right that some players seem to lose it
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I really think guys like Milford and Moylan are examples of how your environment and culture can impact your career.
The Broncos, to be perfectly frank, have been a total basket case most of his time there. And you see it with their squad and particularly their young talent. They're good individually at times, but there is lazy habits, there is bad technique, there is a general lack of professionalism throughout
The culture is terrible and thus, good players under achieve
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Milford was good early in his career because he was quick and evasive due to his relatively small build. He was never good defensively due to his size and that was always going to test him as a half. As soon as he had to stack on the extra kilos to be able to defend in the line, he lost his speed and became very ineffective. I don't think he was ever destined to be a top tier playmaker either. Good support player but you don't want him as your main man directing the play. I think he can contribute at fullback in a team with a good spine but you would be sacrificing defence to do that. He won't be saving any tries. I think a team like ours is the type of environment where he could thrive and it could be a good fit considering the fact that we don't have much attacking strike in our backline at the moment. If we're talking about Dufty at $600-700k vs Milford at $500k, I'm taking Milford for sure.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Big no to both Milford and Moylan...both solve nothing for us.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Are people forgetting defence is 50% of the game. Milford a fullback would send the team back to the dark ages.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I’d take the Raiders version of Milford for $500K for sure. He’d be the exact X-factor spark that would put us right up the top. Though I do acknowledge the drop in defence and am not comfortable at all with moving CNK when he’s performed so well.

Regardless, every time I see Milf in the sheds after a game without his shirt on, I am stunned by how he has no trace of muscle. How can a guy play pro footy and clearly never do weights? He must actively avoid the gym. How is that even possible? (Though I do remember Tapine saying he started lifting last year so maybe it’s not that hard...)

But a guy who’s dodging the gym that effectively doesn’t have the work ethic to return to his best nor the attitude to ever become a consistent star.

Such a waste.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

We should make a play for Ethan Bullemor who will be available from 2023. Could be a good replacement for one of the older middles who will be moving on in the near future. Been keeping an eye on him since we were in talks last year about a loan deal and he looks good. Scored a great try last night in the Panthers game.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 16, 2021, 2:15 pm We should make a play for Ethan Bullemor who will be available from 2023. Could be a good replacement for one of the older middles who will be moving on in the near future. Been keeping an eye on him since we were in talks last year about a loan deal and he looks good. Scored a great try last night in the Panthers game.
We did. Last yr. After we lost Horse, Sia, Guler and Hodgo. But CHN became available
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Raiders_Pat wrote: April 16, 2021, 2:15 pm We should make a play for Ethan Bullemor who will be available from 2023. Could be a good replacement for one of the older middles who will be moving on in the near future. Been keeping an eye on him since we were in talks last year about a loan deal and he looks good. Scored a great try last night in the Panthers game.
He looked the goods last night.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Crazy thought... Jordan Pereira, Dragz winger, one of the better meter eaters and tackle busting wingers of the past 2 yrs. Played on the Dragz weak left side, and thus, scored no tries.
Should we look at a cheap winger option such as him?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

There's wingers playing worse than he did getting paid a lot more. Wouldn't be a bad signing on the cheap.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Pereira is a solid NRL winger. Good finisher, less errors than some other wingers but is a little injury effected (I won't say prone) over the past few seasons.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Who said Kennedy can't ball play?
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raiders666 wrote:Who said Kennedy can't ball play?
Lee Harvey Oswald.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

BJ wrote:
Lee Harvey Oswald.
Too soon.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Sid wrote:
BJ wrote:
Lee Harvey Oswald.
Too soon.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Too soon? That’s what they said about my Brutus on Caesar quip.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’d still punt on Milford. He’s 26. I still remember the heartache of watching him be best on ground in the 2015 grand final.

He’d enter 2022 at 27. A lot of physical work would need to be done but man it would be a shame to see him bow out at 27-28 given what he was at 20.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Where though?

He's too small for fullback, and Jack has 5/8 sown up

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Milford..... adored by us when he broke onto the scene, lied and left us when he was our shining light, im happy he has gone backwards...he crapped on us.

Never to play for our Raiders again, and quite frankly he ain't good enough now.

Waster
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

It's funny isn't it. He is like the best girl friend you ever had that stood you up at the alter. youve watched her every move since and taken pleasure at every set back she's endured. You both know she made the wrong decision. You are now generally pretty happy. You know you shouldn't go back there but you cannot help but wonder what it would be like. As much as milf turned my life upside down I'd take him back and look to partner him with wighton. I know he isn't a half but frankly neither is george
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Botman wrote: April 15, 2021, 2:17 pm I really think guys like Milford and Moylan are examples of how your environment and culture can impact your career.
The Broncos, to be perfectly frank, have been a total basket case most of his time there. And you see it with their squad and particularly their young talent. They're good individually at times, but there is lazy habits, there is bad technique, there is a general lack of professionalism throughout
The culture is terrible and thus, good players under achieve
Couldn't agree more. It's a culture that has emerged over the past 10 years or so. To borrow one of sticks terms they are trying to take short cuts to win a premiership. I'm referring to what they did with milf and about a dozen other blokes Barba, Kennedy (prop from the roosters), Todd Lowrie the list goes on, whereby they established lies for them to break their contracts early. Imagine you are a young kid who has given everything to the club only for the club to decide just as you are finding your feet that there is someone marginally better than you so we are going to punt you. When it happens once or twice it's ok but when it happens repeatedly all of a sudden you are thinking I could be next. Origin players go another level cause they learn to love the joint and love each other. The Broncos at the moment have fostered a culture which has neither. Until they fix it the won't dominate
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

FROG wrote: April 17, 2021, 6:09 am It's funny isn't it. He is like the best girl friend you ever had that stood you up at the alter. youve watched her every move since and taken pleasure at every set back she's endured. You both know she made the wrong decision. You are now generally pretty happy. You know you shouldn't go back there but you cannot help but wonder what it would be like. As much as milf turned my life upside down I'd take him back and look to partner him with wighton. I know he isn't a half but frankly neither is george
George Williams isn't a half? What was he doing last year winning GH fans player of the season + player of the finals series...

If our spine is creaky right now George isn't the ill fitting piece. Best half we've had since Campo/Carney.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

FROG wrote:It's funny isn't it. He is like the best girl friend you ever had that stood you up at the alter. youve watched her every move since and taken pleasure at every set back she's endured. You both know she made the wrong decision. You are now generally pretty happy. You know you shouldn't go back there but you cannot help but wonder what it would be like. As much as milf turned my life upside down I'd take him back and look to partner him with wighton. I know he isn't a half but frankly neither is george
Clearly she had kids since too.

Y’know, since she’s a milf.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Speaking of which, remember how clunky the Campo/Carney combo was... it took Carney to get the sack to unlock Campo
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I’m worried about FROG here, I think there’s something he isn’t telling us.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I wouldn't have Milford in the top 30 personally. NSW Cup contract is the only option.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Canberra Milk wrote:Speaking of which, remember how clunky the Campo/Carney combo was... it took Carney to get the sack to unlock Campo
Yeah cause it was 2 running 5/8s together, neither were really game managers.

Even when Campo kicked up a gear he never really managed a game that well under pressure

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

FROG wrote:It's funny isn't it. He is like the best girl friend you ever had that stood you up at the alter. youve watched her every move since and taken pleasure at every set back she's endured. You both know she made the wrong decision. You are now generally pretty happy. You know you shouldn't go back there but you cannot help but wonder what it would be like. As much as milf turned my life upside down I'd take him back and look to partner him with wighton. I know he isn't a half but frankly neither is george
That... is... oddly specific.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Milford is more like the girl you thought you wanted 5 years ago and then you realise she quickly put in a load of weight, became lazy and that you realise you did much better with that English girl you’re currently with.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Milford is more like the girl who had a whispy teenage moustache when you knew her, but you were into her anyway because she moved pretty fast and you didn't have much else going on, then she dumped you for a bs reason and barring a prom night highlight and a few instagram posts her life has been downhill ever since.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

I hope we are having a go at Xavier Coates
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: April 15, 2021, 3:59 pm Big no to both Milford and Moylan...both solve nothing for us.
Couldn't agree more. I would not take both of them for $200,000 combined.

Milford is lazy and he would want a 2-3 deal and would only play for 3-4 weeks in his last year. Doesn't try hard enough, and not disciplined to work on his eating habits and fitness. Plus he has a gambling issue (evidence: it has been reported more than once he plays the pokies before games like the Brisbane v Parra 2019 semi final). Would had nothing to our side.

Moylan has been good this year but again he doesn't play to his contract value and we don't need to improve our halves roster. We need speedy wingers like Xavier Coates. We could also think of Jaxon Paulo (Souths), Naden (Penrith), Mulitalo (Cronulla).

I wouldn't be adverse to Blake Ferguson on the right price