Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Billy Walker »

TPJ great talent but not sure the commitment is there and he is definitely lacking in discipline. He struggled with suspension under the old interpretations so is a lengthy suspension waiting to happen in this crazy new world. A big gamble but potentially a big pay out if he gets it together. Would need to be a bargain price to get my tick off.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

We already look like a dog's breakfast in attack and somehow Kodi Nikorima's name is brought up in the halfback discussion?

Fair enough.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 18, 2021, 11:55 am We already look like a dog's breakfast in attack and somehow Kodi Nikorima's name is brought up in the halfback discussion?

Fair enough.
Like I keep saying, individual players aren't going to fix our rubbish attack, and buying new players to replace existing ones is just shuffling the proverbial deck chairs, BUT we do need a halfback and out of the names thrown around like 75-year old Gareth Widdop, an overweight and disinterested Anthony Milford, Luke **** I don't want to tackle Brooks and Kodi Nikorima, I'm taking the best of an absolutely **** bunch.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2021, 9:55 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 18, 2021, 9:23 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2021, 8:10 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 18, 2021, 7:42 am
bonehead wrote: June 18, 2021, 7:18 am David Riccio on SEN

Widdop, Lodge to Warriors mid season
Dufty to Raiders cooled off with Simmo preferred.

TPJ to One of Tigers, Dogs, Roosters most likely

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
We’ll if Simmo is the “preferred option” that says a lot about our recruitment and retention…

I mean, **** did we waste 7 weeks with Aekins?

I’m neither here or there on Dufty, I can see the pros and cons…but what worries me more is the scatter gun approach to recruitment we’re seeing playing out…

Here I was hoping the club had an actual plan.
Where did you get the idea it's a scattergun recruitment approach?
If the reports are to be believed, Dufty was touring the facilities last week....tells me the club was serious in making him an offer...
This week we read that Simmo is the preferred option....Based on what? One performance against the hapless Broncos?
Last week we all had just about written off Simmo....and rightfully so based on his lack of attacking threat.....

Surely the coaching staff are seeing Simmo every day in training and have enough of an idea around what he could bring to the table as a fullback?

Then we hear Widdop....a 33 year old ESL retiree who isn't an organising halfback's pinky.....

And in the offseason we had James....a complete waste of time (nothing against the guy but he offered nothing that we needed)...

The more pertinent question is what makes you think it ISNT scattergun?

Where are you seeing a plan among this abstract mess?
Media and fan speculation does not equal scattergun recruitment. If anything its the opposite and we're being over cautious.
Only it wasn’t media or fan speculation.
He met with Ricky and toured the facility.
Tells me the club “thought” he was the right option…
Which begs the question around why Simmo wasn’t given a run earlier at fullback to test his ability?
We’re at a stage where we are essentially trying to recruit or develop 2 key spine positions… you would think (and hope) the club is doing its due diligence both internally and externally.
I’m all for being cautious, but there is a right and wrong way to go about it and I’m seeing nothing so far to indicate where going about things the right way…
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: June 18, 2021, 11:57 am
Seiffert82 wrote: June 18, 2021, 11:55 am We already look like a dog's breakfast in attack and somehow Kodi Nikorima's name is brought up in the halfback discussion?

Fair enough.
Like I keep saying, individual players aren't going to fix our rubbish attack, and buying new players to replace existing ones is just shuffling the proverbial deck chairs, BUT we do need a halfback and out of the names thrown around like 75-year old Gareth Widdop, an overweight and disinterested Anthony Milford, Luke **** I don't want to tackle Brooks and Kodi Nikorima, I'm taking the best of an absolutely **** bunch.
Don’t worry…all suggestions get trashed around here because somehow we’re meant to find the next immortal around a pile of rubbish options…

FWIW I’d definitely take Nikorima over all the options being tossed around!
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's going to end up being Luke Brooks
This is my, and by proxy, all of your destiny
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:06 pm It's going to end up being Luke Brooks
It's just 100% happening. You know it, I know it, affhgjgklltlt knows it, Luke **** Brooks knows it... and everytime a second rower steams over the top of him for the easiest of tries you're going to die a little bit more inside.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kodi Nikorima... :o I'd rather Gareth Widdop or Shaun Johnson.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:20 pm Kodi Nikorima... :o I'd rather Gareth Widdop or Shaun Johnson.
I don't. Those two players have "Matt Orford" written all over them.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Billy Walker wrote: June 18, 2021, 10:15 am TPJ great talent but not sure the commitment is there and he is definitely lacking in discipline. He struggled with suspension under the old interpretations so is a lengthy suspension waiting to happen in this crazy new world. A big gamble but potentially a big pay out if he gets it together. Would need to be a bargain price to get my tick off.
His 1st suspension this yr happened last night.
With 5 penalties on the yr, he is equal 32nd for penalties. However, 10 of the 30 with 5, have sin bins or send off's (James 1 and Papa 2), so he is better than them.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

The Nickman wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:25 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:20 pm Kodi Nikorima... :o I'd rather Gareth Widdop or Shaun Johnson.
Agreed Nickman.

I feel like we need to have the 'availability to cost' discussion GE.

SJ is going to the Dogs for 1 mill a yr. Which is laughable, coz he only plays 75% of games. His legs fall apart every yr.

Widdop has 2 shoulders that don't stay on place. Which is why Dragz got rid of him. He is also 33, which is getting too old for this young man's game.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

Matt wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:34 pm
Agreed Nickman.

SJ is going to the Dogs for 1 mill a yr. Which is laughable, coz he only plays 75% of games. His legs fall apart every yr.

Widdop has 2 shoulders that don't stay on place. Which is why Dragz got rid of him. He is also 33, which is getting too old for this young man's game.
What's the answer then? We all know sticks ability to mentor and turn young halves into nrl standard halves so I dont hold much hope for schneider but realistically widdop is our only choice, Brooke's is horrendous, Johnson is broken and wants too much, cust from manly is seen as a utility because he's not great and Taylor's ability seems to have fallen off a cliff years ago.
Im not a huge fan of signing an injury prone elderly pom but I just can't see anyone else that may be able to do the job we need them to do
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

chris83 wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:51 pm
Agreed Nickman.

What's the answer then? We all know sticks ability to mentor and turn young halves into nrl standard halves so I dont hold much hope for schneider but realistically widdop is our only choice, Brooke's is horrendous, Johnson is broken and wants too much, cust from manly is seen as a utility because he's not great and Taylor's ability seems to have fallen off a cliff years ago.
Im not a huge fan of signing an injury prone elderly pom but I just can't see anyone else that may be able to do the job we need them to do
The answer apparently... is to replace our fullback.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

The Nickman wrote: June 18, 2021, 11:57 am

Fair enough.
The only genuine halfback who isn't pushing the pension in that list is Brooks. By any statistical measure he's better than any of them.

The most talented is Milford by the length of the straight.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

The Nickman wrote:
If those two have “Matt Orford" written all over them, then I just don’t get modern day Tattoos.

What happened to “Mom”, “Sailors Life” and “Born to be Wild”.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Agreed Nickman.

jeez you talk a lot of rubbish. Johnson is rumoured to be joining the dogs for between 400-500k per year, there wouldn't be too many if any experienced staring halves on less than that, he'll likely get less than what Nikorima is asking and he is 3 times the player of Kodi.
“Initially the asking price for Shaun was two years for $1.6 million. It’s now dropped, I believe there’s talk it’s two years for $1 million.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 6cf1f60a66
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Johnson is 3 years younger than how old orford was when he joined us(30), at 30 years of age Orford was winning the 2008 grand final.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Agreed Nickman.

I agree, but even if by some miracle SJ’s knees hold strong and Widdop’s shoulders stay in place do you see either of those blokes as premiership winners. I don’t. Would they be an upgrade on what we have now - yeah probably but they aren’t the long term answer and slotting them in delays the development of the next young bloke who might be the answer. If Keary doesn’t fall over for the chooks none of know who Sam Walker is. I’d say throwing the kid into 1st grade has turbo charged his development. We need to do the same and churn and burn through a few if we need to until we find a winner. Having SJ or Widdop clog your roster for a year or two isn’t helping anyone!
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

The Nickman wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:54 pm
Agreed Nickman.

The answer apparently... is to replace our fullback.
Makes perfect sense
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:00 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 18, 2021, 7:42 am

We’ll if Simmo is the “preferred option” that says a lot about our recruitment and retention…

I mean, **** did we waste 7 weeks with Aekins?

I’m neither here or there on Dufty, I can see the pros and cons…but what worries me more is the scatter gun approach to recruitment we’re seeing playing out…

Here I was hoping the club had an actual plan.
If the reports are to be believed, Dufty was touring the facilities last week....tells me the club was serious in making him an offer...
This week we read that Simmo is the preferred option....Based on what? One performance against the hapless Broncos?
Last week we all had just about written off Simmo....and rightfully so based on his lack of attacking threat.....

Surely the coaching staff are seeing Simmo every day in training and have enough of an idea around what he could bring to the table as a fullback?

Then we hear Widdop....a 33 year old ESL retiree who isn't an organising halfback's pinky.....

And in the offseason we had James....a complete waste of time (nothing against the guy but he offered nothing that we needed)...

Media and fan speculation does not equal scattergun recruitment. If anything its the opposite and we're being over cautious.
Which begs the question around why Simmo wasn’t given a run earlier at fullback to test his ability?
We’re at a stage where we are essentially trying to recruit or develop 2 key spine positions… you would think (and hope) the club is doing its due diligence both internally and externally.
I’m all for being cautious, but there is a right and wrong way to go about it and I’m seeing nothing so far to indicate where going about things the right way…
He met with Ricky and toured the facility. Since then we've had reports the Raiders have cooled on Dufty and seen Simo shift to fullback. For all we know Ricky may have walked away from that meeting thinking Dufty isn't the right guy for us. As you said, it's due diligence, which is anything but a scattergun approach. A scattergun approach is trying to sign whoever is on the market regardless of fit and hoping you land a few contracts.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

kiwi raider wrote: June 18, 2021, 1:09 pm
Agreed Nickman.

jeez you talk a lot of rubbish. Johnson is rumoured to be joining the dogs for between 400-500k per year, there wouldn't be too many if any experienced staring halves on less than that, he'll likely get less than what Nikorima is asking and he is 3 times the player of Kodi.
“Initially the asking price for Shaun was two years for $1.6 million. It’s now dropped, I believe there’s talk it’s two years for $1 million.
That's less than what they pay their wingers.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Johnson for 500k/600k= good deal.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2021, 1:29 pm

He met with Ricky and toured the facility. Since then we've had reports the Raiders have cooled on Dufty and seen Simo shift to fullback. For all we know Ricky may have walked away from that meeting thinking Dufty isn't the right guy for us. As you said, it's due diligence, which is anything but a scattergun approach. A scattergun approach is trying to sign whoever is on the market regardless of fit and hoping you land a few contracts.
Simmo has been around since 2019…
So no your wrong, it’s the exact definition of scatter gun…
If CNK was a problem at fullback, then Simmo would have been given a crack before the injury..
You don’t get to “meet and tour the facility” without being 99% certain your making the deal…
Simmo playing fullback on the weekend isn’t swinging it one way or the other..
Still not convinced recruitment know what they are doing and the James acquisition last year is further proof of that..
I want to believe there’s a plan, but there’s no evidence of it.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: June 18, 2021, 2:13 pm

If CNK was a problem at fullback, then Simmo would have been given a crack before the injury..
You don’t get to “meet and tour the facility” without being 99% certain your making the deal…
Still not convinced recruitment know what they are doing and the James acquisition last year is further proof of that..
You really have your mind set on this scattergun thing. I'll leave you with it.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2021, 2:47 pm
Clearly you know the plan so please share it with us all…
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

James was an opportunistic thing when we'd just had 2 middles go down with long term injury and it was always a season to season thing whether Sia would go around again. Still not a bad buy seeing as Hors is struggling and may not cut it as a Fg'er anymore and Sia may not go around again next year.

One opportunistic buy doesn't mean there is no plan. Overall our recruiting has been good. At least a "B". Mostly hits, one or two misses (Scott may not have worked out).
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:11 pm
Botman wrote: June 18, 2021, 12:06 pm It's going to end up being Luke Brooks
It's just 100% happening. You know it, I know it, affhgjgklltlt knows it, Luke **** Brooks knows it... and everytime a second rower steams over the top of him for the easiest of tries you're going to die a little bit more inside.
It'd be interesting to see if the steam over is more common or Dufty and Brooks looking at each other as they both refuse to attempt tackle.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: June 18, 2021, 2:51 pm

What an odd response
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

BadnMean wrote: June 18, 2021, 2:53 pm James was an opportunistic thing when we'd just had 2 middles go down with long term injury and it was always a season to season thing whether Sia would go around again. Still not a bad buy seeing as Hors is struggling and may not cut it as a Fg'er anymore and Sia may not go around again next year.

One opportunistic buy doesn't mean there is no plan. Overall our recruiting has been good. At least a "B". Mostly hits, one or two misses (Scott may not have worked out).
CHN was another opportunistic one. Grabbed him when it was apparent Bateman was out the door.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 18, 2021, 3:00 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 18, 2021, 2:51 pm
What an odd response
4D chess with that doozy…
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Agreed Nickman.

SJ is going to the Dogs for half a mill a yr. Which is laughable, coz he only plays 75% of games. His legs fall apart every yr.

Widdops going to NZ by all accounts. 2 busted shoulders. Old.
SJ to Dogs. 1mill a yr. Busted legs.
So u can rule them out.

As to the answer, it's pick the least bad option. BTW, the 2 guys above weren't better than Kodi or Brooks.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Agreed Nickman.

Shaun Johnson is reportedly going to the Dogs for $500,000 a year... $1 million for two years. I'd gladly see the Raiders pay that for Johnson. Widdop is 32. I'd still rather either of them on a short contract than Nikorima, who will be wanting more than the $500,000 odd he's on now - given he's managed by Moses. If he was coming at the price of a Sam Williams, maybe. Both Johnson and Widdop more innately talented footballers than Nikorima.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

kiwi raider wrote: June 18, 2021, 1:09 pm
Agreed Nickman.

Ok. Every time SJs name comes up, it sounds like the figure drops.

Widdop cut his price in half coz he is busted and he knows it.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2021, 5:18 pm
Agreed Nickman.

Shaun Johnson is reportedly going to the Dogs for $500,000 a year... $1 million for two years. I'd gladly see the Raiders pay that for Johnson. Widdop is 32. I'd still rather either of them on a short contract than Nikorima, who will be wanting more than the $500,000 odd he's on now - given he's managed by Moses. If he was coming at the price of a Sam Williams, maybe. Both Johnson and Widdop were far more talented footballers than Nikorima.
If u sign SJ on 500k, you are throwing 125k down the loo. Coz he'll be injured.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: June 18, 2021, 5:20 pm
greeneyed wrote: June 18, 2021, 5:18 pm
Agreed Nickman.

Shaun Johnson is reportedly going to the Dogs for $500,000 a year... $1 million for two years. I'd gladly see the Raiders pay that for Johnson. Widdop is 32. I'd still rather either of them on a short contract than Nikorima, who will be wanting more than the $500,000 odd he's on now - given he's managed by Moses. If he was coming at the price of a Sam Williams, maybe. Both Johnson and Widdop were far more talented footballers than Nikorima.
If u sign SJ on 500k, you are throwing 125k down the loo. Coz he'll be injured.
It is still better value than $600k or whatever for Nikorima. He's not a good player and certainly not what we need.