Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:06 pm
radicalraider wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:02 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 29, 2021, 12:24 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 11:15 am
Canberra Milk wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:45 am You do get the feeling that at least roster wise, Sharks and Bulldogs are getting closer to us if not overtaking
Really? I genuinely don't get that feeling at all.

What will the 2022 spine of each club be?
Bulldogs backline will be better than ours in 2022 if we sit still...

1. DWZ
2. Addo Car
3. Naden
4. Hoppa
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

That's not bad...They are in desperate need of a No.9.
Current Bulldogs backline is already better than ours. We have the worst backline.
Oh yeah, and who's their hooker??
9. Sticking Solid
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:08 pm

1. DWZ
2. Addo Car
3. Naden
4. Hoppa
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

Current Bulldogs backline is already better than ours. We have the worst backline.
9. Sticking Solid
You know what?? I **** like it!!
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 29, 2021, 10:45 am You do get the feeling that at least roster wise, Sharks and Bulldogs are getting closer to us if not overtaking

1. DWZ
2. Addo Car
3. Naden
4. Hoppa
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

Hookers are part of a backline? One of your best
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

radicalraider wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:22 pm

1. DWZ
2. Addo Car
3. Naden
4. Hoppa
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

Hookers are part of a backline? One of your best
Answer the question, pal.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well Bulldogs will have Burton, who I think will be a star playmaker if not already. Better than Wighton at that age. Flanagan not amazing but only young and can be a handy foil. Their 1 Corey Allan can be good if he finds his form from Souths. Yes 9 is weak, but add Cotric, Addo Carr, Naden and they have points in them. They also have Averillo who I think is a good player, although not sure what best position is. Maybe he or Burton could go to 1.

Sharks will have Adam Reynolds, genuine game manager at half. I like the look of Connor Treacy, at least for his running so can be a good foil to Reynolds. Will Kennedy at the back who's been super impressive.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Anyone without a good 9 is going to be garbage. You can't slot a Glenn Buttriss type into a good side and expect them to be anything other than spectacularly mediocre.

The position is THAT important these days.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well you could be right but I think the gap is still at least narrowing
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Meanwhile Storm have Grant/Papen/Hughes/Munster, Panthers have Cleary/Luai/Koro and Roosters have Walker/Keary/Tedesco, so they will be winning all the comps in the next few years
Last edited by Canberra Milk on April 29, 2021, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I've felt all along the dogs are doing their recruitment ****-backwards and pumping way too much money into outside backs.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:48 pm I've felt all along the dogs are doing their recruitment ****-backwards and pumping way too much money into outside backs.
They are doing the opposite of Sticky then? 😂
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

1. DWZ
2. Addo Car
3. Naden
4. Hoppa
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

yeah they need a hooker.
Otherwise, agree the halves could be 'hit or miss'...
The back 5 are better IMO.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:48 pm I've felt all along the dogs are doing their recruitment ****-backwards and pumping way too much money into outside backs.
If the outside backs give you speed and power (in todays game) I think were understating how important it is to invest money there.
The game has basically become a battle to cart the ball out on kick returns as far as possible to allow your forwards to do less running...
All this talk that the 6 again rule would bring 'skill' into the game is rubbish....it's doubled down on power, particularly from your outside backs.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:35 pm

Well Bulldogs will have Burton, who I think will be a star playmaker if not already. Better than Wighton at that age. Flanagan not amazing but only young and can be a handy foil. Their 1 Corey Allan can be good if he finds his form from Souths. Yes 9 is weak, but add Cotric, Addo Carr, Naden and they have points in them. They also have Averillo who I think is a good player, although not sure what best position is. Maybe he or Burton could go to 1.

Sharks will have Adam Reynolds, genuine game manager at half. I like the look of Connor Treacy, at least for his running so can be a good foil to Reynolds. Will Kennedy at the back who's been super impressive.
Corey Allen's form at fullback for Souths was very very ordinary. He was realistically their 3rd stringer behind Latrell and Johnston (who Bennett kept picking on the wing). It was the play of Walker, Reynolds and Cook that carried them through the finals.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:39 pm Anyone without a good 9 is going to be garbage. You can't slot a Glenn Buttriss type into a good side and expect them to be anything other than spectacularly mediocre.

We have 3 of them and are going mediocre....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: April 29, 2021, 2:07 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 1:39 pm Anyone without a good 9 is going to be garbage. You can't slot a Glenn Buttriss type into a good side and expect them to be anything other than spectacularly mediocre.

Current form slump notwithstanding. We were in a preliminary final last year and GF year before that.

It's also no magic bullet. You need more than a good 9 to be anything above mediocre.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 2:45 pm

Current form slump notwithstanding. We were in a preliminary final last year and GF year before that.

It's also no magic bullet. You need more than a good 9 to be anything above mediocre.
Absolutely... but you're not going anywhere without one either.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Johnson has openly stated he doesn't like Canberra.

He is also 30 years old and has never actually led his team to any meaningful success.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

And he is also made of glass

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 2:52 pm

Yeah I agree with you both.
Just saying, you can't deny the Dogs are getting more right than wrong when it comes to recruitment in the backline lately.
They will for sure need a No.9 and I don't see that being a tough position to recruit for at the moment.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: April 29, 2021, 3:42 pm

Just saying, you can't deny the Dogs are getting more right than wrong when it comes to recruitment in the backline lately.
They will for sure need a No.9 and I don't see that being a tough position to recruit for at the moment.
I'll reserve judgment on whether their recruitment is right or wrong till I see results. A spine of Burton and Flanagan with TBD at fullback and hooker is completely untested. Burton has shown promise as a running half. Not shown much as a ball player or tactician as yet. Flanagan was the weak link in a high powered Roosters team last year. A point which they recognise and thus let him walk.

They have quality on the wings in Addo-Carr and Cotric. You would expect that to be the case given they are the 2 highest paid players in the NRL for the position. Centres are meh. Hoppa will be 30 next year and hasn't looked dangerous for a long while now. Naden has been around for years and really only has one decent season on his CV. He's been back in reserve grade this year. Lost his spot to Momirovski who has rapidly become a modern day journeyman.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Highlights of the SG Ball win on the weekend went up on the NSWRL website: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/04/2 ... ighlights/

Savage at it again, around the 30 second mark
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

afgtnk wrote: April 29, 2021, 5:01 pm Highlights of the SG Ball win on the weekend went up on the NSWRL website: https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/04/2 ... ighlights/

Savage at it again, around the 30 second mark
He's got some wheels. Looks like Addo-Carr in that he rapidly hits top gear.

Assume he'll be joining the NSW Cup squad after this week.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: April 29, 2021, 4:39 pm
GreenMachine wrote: April 29, 2021, 3:42 pm

I'll reserve judgment on whether their recruitment is right or wrong till I see results. A spine of Burton and Flanagan with TBD at fullback and hooker is completely untested. Burton has shown promise as a running half. Not shown much as a ball player or tactician as yet. Flanagan was the weak link in a high powered Roosters team last year. A point which they recognise and thus let him walk.

They have quality on the wings in Addo-Carr and Cotric. You would expect that to be the case given they are the 2 highest paid players in the NRL for the position. Centres are meh. Hoppa will be 30 next year and hasn't looked dangerous for a long while now. Naden has been around for years and really only has one decent season on his CV. He's been back in reserve grade this year. Lost his spot to Momirovski who has rapidly become a modern day journeyman.
You can have the same view about any signing really....until they are playing together we won't know for sure.
The flip side is that a young pairing of Flanagan and Burton could form a decent halves pairing to build a backline around...and the dogs are doing just that by adding pieces we could only hope to have.
Have they paid overs? Possibly.

However, if it gets them back into the top 8 and eventually attract more quality in the forwards then it would be worth it.
Meanwhile, were accumulating a **** tonne of middle forwards (who marginally differ in output) and cornering the market on hookers, but running out a plodderish backline.

Whatever "potential' we all thought we had with the forwards and halves is being wasted and to add to the frustration is the fact we won't go "All In" on, at the very least, testing the young talent we think we have. We won't know what we have unless we test them....sure it may fail, but that's a signal to go to market.
It's as if Ricky has ultimate faith that the backline will catch fire when most of us don't see it.

I've said this in a number of threads and I'll say it again - Ricky underestimated the impact these new rules would have on our team by running out with such a slow and low power backline. I hope someone is jumping up and down highlighting this shortfall to him and working with talent and recruitment to address the issue. I'm happy to burn this season if it meant we ran out in 2022 with the right type of players in positions 1 to 5.

2019 was a long time ago in terms of how the game is being shaped....adapt of die really.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

I'd wager that we'll still finish ahead of the Dogs next season as well. And comfortably so.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 5:31 pm I'd wager that we'll still finish ahead of the Dogs next season as well. And comfortably so.
Not if we don't stick solid. If that doesn't happen then forget about it.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

afgtnk wrote: April 29, 2021, 5:35 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 5:31 pm I'd wager that we'll still finish ahead of the Dogs next season as well. And comfortably so.
Need to stick solid..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

On a scale of 1 to 10, what do you think our chances are of sticking solid in 2022 and beyond, affggjkgttlth??
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 5:37 pm
On a scale of 1 to 10, what do you think our chances are of sticking solid in 2022 and beyond, affggjkgttlth??
Of you and I Nickman? Probably a 14

We're stuck together with JB Weld
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Dogs are on a different timeline to us.
We should be battling for top 4 given what we’re led to believe about our squad. We’re not near that at the moment and unlikely to get there.

The dogs are avoiding the spoon.

A fairer wager is whether the Dogs can get back into the top 8 in the next year versus us making the top 4...
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

I know it's hard to get players to leave the Storm, but surely some of their guns in reserves/the bench (in teams which actually have backs on the bench) would be worth a crack at... Nothing against CNK/Wighton but Nicho Hynes has to be worth going for right? Would bring him closer to his home on the central coast as well.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Gordon Tallis suggested last night that Broncos should make a play for Josh Hodgson
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

afgtnk wrote: April 29, 2021, 5:42 pm
The Nickman wrote: April 29, 2021, 5:37 pm
Of you and I Nickman? Probably a 14

We're stuck together with JB Weld
What about now? I'd say our chances of sticking solid have decreased by at least 33%.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Mitch Kenny.
Panthers went 5 straight.
Checkmate. :D
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Ultima wrote: April 29, 2021, 6:30 pm I know it's hard to get players to leave the Storm, but surely some of their guns in reserves/the bench (in teams which actually have backs on the bench) would be worth a crack at... Nothing against CNK/Wighton but Nicho Hynes has to be worth going for right? Would bring him closer to his home on the central coast as well.
I like Hynes.
I like Drinky.
The Q is, do you want the extra attacker, or the defensive prowess and meterage of CNK? With our current wing stocks, we need CNK.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote: April 30, 2021, 11:08 am Gordon Tallis suggested last night that Broncos should make a play for Josh Hodgson
I'd be OK with that to be honest.

Time to renew. Rapa has been good this year, but we should immediately be planning for life without Croker, Hodgson and Rapana starting 2022.