Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Matt »

julian87 wrote: November 14, 2021, 11:04 am Drinkwater would markedly improve Canberra. He'd probably have to be played at 1.
I suspect he wouldn't jump at that
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Matt wrote: November 13, 2021, 8:21 pm
Finchy wrote: November 13, 2021, 8:34 am
Matt wrote: November 12, 2021, 7:46 pm
Raiders666 wrote: November 12, 2021, 7:03 pm IF we are going to replace Jack which is highly unlikely, it would need to be with a consistent player not another rocks and diamonds type player like Drinkwater is
Cows came 2nd last.

Drinky was 11th in try assists and line break assists. Raiders best was Hodgo at 29th and 42nd respectively.

He avged 93m run, 9 more a game than Jack.

In fact, Jack only avged 0.1 linebreaks a game, and 8% better tackle efficiency than Drinky.

Yup, that means he avged more tackle busts and offloads than Jack.
I don’t think those stats show how good Drinky is and that we should buy him. It’s more a damning indictment on how utterly crap our reigning Dally M five eighth on $900k+ per season was.
While I agree, Drinky is good.
That's subjective. He was atrocious in the games I saw him play, absolutely terrible
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Akyle1994
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by Akyle1994 »

Finchy wrote: November 14, 2021, 6:59 pm
Matt wrote: November 13, 2021, 8:21 pm
Finchy wrote: November 13, 2021, 8:34 am
Matt wrote: November 12, 2021, 7:46 pm
Raiders666 wrote: November 12, 2021, 7:03 pm IF we are going to replace Jack which is highly unlikely, it would need to be with a consistent player not another rocks and diamonds type player like Drinkwater is
Cows came 2nd last.

Drinky was 11th in try assists and line break assists. Raiders best was Hodgo at 29th and 42nd respectively.

He avged 93m run, 9 more a game than Jack.

In fact, Jack only avged 0.1 linebreaks a game, and 8% better tackle efficiency than Drinky.

Yup, that means he avged more tackle busts and offloads than Jack.
I don’t think those stats show how good Drinky is and that we should buy him. It’s more a damning indictment on how utterly crap our reigning Dally M five eighth on $900k+ per season was.
While I agree, Drinky is good.
That's subjective. He was atrocious in the games I saw him play, absolutely terrible
Wighton has more to offer than Drinky
Sthsea22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Sthsea22 »

So Pearce officially released to join Catalans

Brooks will follow suit to Newcastle which opens up the Hodgson to Wests deal

Is the club still interested in taking Liddle from Wests?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

This thread is depressing. Got any of them rumours
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

bonehead wrote:drinkwater is off to Newcastle

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Is that still just speculation or a done deal?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Seiffert82 wrote:
bonehead wrote:drinkwater is off to Newcastle

Is that still just speculation or a done deal?

it's what I've heard, so without a link it's speculation but I was told he was going there to play 6

Edrick The Entertainer
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Surely the Cowboys don't release Drinkwater to play **** Dearden, Townsend and a winger at fullback.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

julian87 wrote:Surely the Cowboys don't release Drinkwater to play **** Dearden, Townsend and a winger at fullback.
It is quite strange. I thought Payten did a good job backfilling that Warriors role but there has been some strange decisions up there this year. Not sure it can be pinned fully on him though - rookie coaches don't often get full autonomy.

Sure you can't blame Holmes stupid contract on him but surely he had some say in the stupid Townsend and Dearden deals.

On a side note why is Newcastle chasing (allegedly) Brooks and also Drinkwater when they have Clifford - unless they see one of the latter two as a lock replacement for Watson?
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

gergreg wrote: November 16, 2021, 6:55 pm
julian87 wrote:Surely the Cowboys don't release Drinkwater to play **** Dearden, Townsend and a winger at fullback.
It is quite strange. I thought Payten did a good job backfilling that Warriors role but there has been some strange decisions up there this year. Not sure it can be pinned fully on him though - rookie coaches don't often get full autonomy.

Sure you can't blame Holmes stupid contract on him but surely he had some say in the stupid Townsend and Dearden deals.

On a side note why is Newcastle chasing (allegedly) Brooks and also Drinkwater when they have Clifford - unless they see one of the latter two as a lock replacement for Watson?
I thought it was strange playing Granville at fullback and then centre.

Drinkwater is inconsistent, but a better option in the halves than Dearden and Townsend. They must be the worst pairing for next year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: November 16, 2021, 6:55 pm

Chase both if you want both, makes sure both managers know they aren't the only one you're after, sign the first/best/cheapest. Even if you never wanted both, just either one at the right price. Then on to other targets.
Sthsea22
Terry Campese

Post by Sthsea22 »

Eels have now just lost Papali'i to Wests

Does this affect Hodgo move?
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Sthsea22 wrote: November 18, 2021, 1:47 pm Eels have now just lost Papal'ii to Wests

We should be going after Luciano now
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raiders666 wrote: November 18, 2021, 2:01 pm
Sthsea22 wrote: November 18, 2021, 1:47 pm Eels have now just lost Papal'ii to Wests

We should be going after Luciano now
Would be an excellent pick up
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Hmm we have 29 spots filled.

If Hodgo goes, we also need to pickup a backup hooker. So back to 29 filled.

We bought Elliot so I honestly think RIcky will be thinking we are all sweet for backrowers thanks and keep that last spot open a while longer.

History suggests he'll realise halfway into the season that Whitehead just isn't going to return to being agile enough for edge...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: November 18, 2021, 4:26 pm Hmm we have 29 spots filled.

If Hodgo goes, we also need to pickup a backup hooker. So back to 29 filled.

We bought Elliot so I honestly think RIcky will be thinking we are all sweet for backrowers thanks and keep that last spot open a while longer.

History suggests he'll realise halfway into the season that Whitehead just isn't going to return to being agile enough for edge...
...and that Elliott is bog average.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Kikau signed Dogs. We are falling behind…
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

sprintman wrote:Kikau signed Dogs. We are falling behind…
it's all good we got adam Elliott

Edrick The Entertainer
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

bonehead wrote: November 19, 2021, 12:52 pm
sprintman wrote:Kikau signed Dogs. We are falling behind…
it's all good we got adam Elliott

Be funny if it wasn’t so sad…
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Why are we spending money on the likes of Adam Elliott, and extending Whitehead, Croker, Sam Williams and Valemi when Dogs have money to spend on Kikau, TPJ, Addo Carr, Burton, Cotric and are in the market for Reed Mahoney.

Don't think we were in the market for one off contract notable player. Anyway, none of them would want to come here to be coached by Ricky.

And considering paying Hodgson $400,000 not to play here!
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

The list of clubs that signed their way to a premiership is one club long.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Kikau. Lazy penalty magnet. Bloke is loose as on the field.

Barrett will have a job on his hands keeping him in check within that Bulldogs lineup.

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I'm comfortable with missing out on Kikau but I'd like to see us make some moves for 2023 in this free agency. While I don't mind the signing of Elliott, I won't be confident if that's our last pick up for the off season.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

sprintman wrote: November 19, 2021, 12:46 pm Kikau signed Dogs. We are falling behind…
For 23
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: November 19, 2021, 1:26 pm Why are we spending money on the likes of Adam Elliott, and extending Whitehead, Croker, Sam Williams and Valemi when Dogs have money to spend on Kikau, TPJ, Addo Carr, Burton, Cotric and are in the market for Reed Mahoney.

Don't think we were in the market for one off contract notable player. Anyway, none of them would want to come here to be coached by Ricky.

If u look at the Dogs roster, it's easy to see how they have money to spend. All those names u just mentioned only gets them to where we are.

Approx price for similar roles:
TPJ = Tapine
Kik = Papa
JAC = CNK (save a bit)
Burton = Jack (where the CNK saving is spent)
Cotric = Croker (unfortunately)
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Matt wrote: November 19, 2021, 5:14 pm
sprintman wrote: November 19, 2021, 12:46 pm Kikau signed Dogs. We are falling behind…
For 23
Yes we know that.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Seiffert82 wrote: November 19, 2021, 2:36 pm Kikau. Lazy penalty magnet. Bloke is loose as on the field.

Barrett will have a job on his hands keeping him in check within that Bulldogs lineup.

I think next year will be Barrett's last year as a coach even though he has a three year deal. Gould has a history of being dissatisfied and firing his coaches - Graham Murray, Ricky at the Roosters, and Ivan and Hook at Penrith. I don't rate Barrett tactically or his man management.

I'd rather have Kikau and TPJ as edge players than Whitehead and Adam Elliott. They can be damaging running off Burton. Wouldn't surprise me Tyrone May also joined up as he's chummy with both Barrett, Gould, and Burton.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: November 19, 2021, 10:41 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: November 19, 2021, 2:36 pm Kikau. Lazy penalty magnet. Bloke is loose as on the field.

I think next year will be Barrett's last year as a coach even though he has a three year deal. Gould has a history of being dissatisfied and firing his coaches - Graham Murray, Ricky at the Roosters, and Ivan and Hook at Penrith. I don't rate Barrett tactically or his man management.

I'd rather have Kikau and TPJ as edge players than Whitehead and Adam Elliott. They can be damaging running off Burton. Wouldn't surprise me Tyrone May also joined up as he's chummy with both Barrett, Gould, and Burton.
Well maybe... sure, "Kikau and TPJ as edge players than Whitehead and Adam Elliott" looks like a better option, right now, for a very short time. On the other hand, it's costing the Dogs anything up to 8 or 9 100k more, which not only looks like less of a bargain, but fails to factor in that Kikau is fading REAL fast, and TPJ is a proven on-field problem. Whitehead may be nowhere near what he used to be, Elliot may have a low ceiling, but they aren't a pair of tools (maybe one is but let's see ow he goes, eh?).

Not sure if serious about May regrets
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I'm really struggling with the takes on Adam Elliott on this site. You can't compare signing Kikau or Papali'i to Elliott. They are on 3/4x what Elliott is on. Adam Elliott essentially replaces a Sia Soliola or Luke Bateman spot in the squad. And making it solely about on field performance it is significant unders.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

julian87 wrote:I'm really struggling with the takes on Adam Elliott on this site. You can't compare signing Kikau or Papali'i to Elliott. They are on 3/4x what Elliott is on. Adam Elliott essentially replaces a Sia Soliola or Luke Bateman spot in the squad. And making it solely about on field performance it is significant unders.
he takes a top 30 spot, the 250 we spent on him could have gone towards the 550 to get papali'i, instead he's blown a 250k hole in our cap for a useless player

Edrick The Entertainer
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

bonehead wrote: November 21, 2021, 8:51 am
julian87 wrote:I'm really struggling with the takes on Adam Elliott on this site. You can't compare signing Kikau or Papali'i to Elliott. They are on 3/4x what Elliott is on. Adam Elliott essentially replaces a Sia Soliola or Luke Bateman spot in the squad. And making it solely about on field performance it is significant unders.
he takes a top 30 spot, the 250 we spent on him could have gone towards the 550 to get papali'i, instead he's blown a 250k hole in our cap for a useless player

Yeah I just don't like the thought process behind thinking getting a bench at best standard plodder for 250k is great value, just because notorious basket case the Dogs WAY overvalued him at 400k. That doesn't make him a bargain now. That's the price for his talent and output. he's a 200k player.

"Oh great we can get a slightly better deal on a plodder" is not what we need when the squad was pretty dire last season and we do/did have the money to make some genuine plays at quality players.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Post by myanonymoususername »

greeneyed wrote: November 19, 2021, 11:06 am
Wighton must have been awful close to making that overs list based on 2021 form.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Matt wrote: November 19, 2021, 5:23 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: November 19, 2021, 1:26 pm Why are we spending money on the likes of Adam Elliott, and extending Whitehead, Croker, Sam Williams and Valemi when Dogs have money to spend on Kikau, TPJ, Addo Carr, Burton, Cotric and are in the market for Reed Mahoney.

If u look at the Dogs roster, it's easy to see how they have money to spend. All those names u just mentioned only gets them to where we are.

Approx price for similar roles:
TPJ = Tapine
Kik = Papa
JAC = CNK (save a bit)
Burton = Jack (where the CNK saving is spent)
Cotric = Croker (unfortunately)
There were already rumours that the Dogs were looking to move Cotric on last year. I'd imagine the signings they have made for 2023 may well have been done so under the assumption they'll clear $300k off their books by moving him on.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

BadnMean wrote: November 21, 2021, 9:04 am
bonehead wrote: November 21, 2021, 8:51 am

Yeah I just don't like the thought process behind thinking getting a bench at best standard plodder for 250k is great value, just because notorious basket case the Dogs WAY overvalued him at 400k. That doesn't make him a bargain now. That's the price for his talent and output. he's a 200k player.

"Oh great we can get a slightly better deal on a plodder" is not what we need when the squad was pretty dire last season and we do/did have the money to make some genuine plays at quality players.
Could not disagree more with both of these posts. He's worth more than what we signed him on. Hence he's in that team innthe above article.

- Signing an NRL standard backrower when you only have 3 in your squad (lock counted here too) is not blowing a hole in your cap. Having g 4 rigid halfbacks is. Having Semi Valemei is.

- You need to make these signings to give you the opportunity to make genuine plays at quality players.