Raiders player signing speculation 2021

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Danaman137 »

Hynes is the value play. Offer him $500k and starting fullback for 3 years. I’ve been saying it for weeks trying to will it into existence. He’s excellent at fullback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah i really like the idea of Hynes
We can move CNK to a wing/centre spot

and he provides ball playing which is sorely needed with what we're looking at in the halves without Gwilly... thats the move i think we are in desperate need to make.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 9:40 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: May 11, 2021, 9:34 pm You can't compare Paps and Dufty
No, but we're not getting Paps :lol:
🥺 listen I'm hurt about Tarps. I need a rebound...
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Really concerned about our recruitment for 2022. Xavier Coates has gone to Melbourne, Stagg is staying, Naden to Canterbury, even Wests have signed Oliver Gildart from Wigan, meaning Joey and/or Jimmy the Jet will get the flick. We need an outside back. Broncos, Cronulla, and Canterbury seem to be linked to everyone.

Regarding a half, Burton looks good at centre, decent kicking game - replacement for GWilliams if we convince him not to take the Flanagan route. I really hope we can keep George.

Hope our juniors kick on as well.
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Post by Raider_Boy »

Botman wrote: May 11, 2021, 9:44 pm yeah i really like the idea of Hynes

and he provides ball playing which is sorely needed with what we're looking at in the halves without Gwilly... thats the move i think we are in desperate need to make.
I am supremely concerned about the talk on Hynes. I don’t really see what the big deal is- and after the Scott recruitment I am super nervous about the prospect of having another second string ex Melbourne back come in..... That being said, Papps is the off-contract one you could build a backline around.
Member #6381
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:Really concerned about our recruitment for 2022. Xavier Coates has gone to Melbourne, Stagg is staying, Naden to Canterbury, even Wests have signed Oliver Gildart from Wigan, meaning Joey and/or Jimmy the Jet will get the flick. We need an outside back. Broncos, Cronulla, and Canterbury seem to be linked to everyone.

Regarding a half, Burton looks good at centre, decent kicking game - replacement for GWilliams if we convince him not to take the Flanagan route. I really hope we can keep George.

Hope our juniors kick on as well.
Burton has signed with the bulldogs
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raider_Boy wrote: May 12, 2021, 6:55 am

I am supremely concerned about the talk on Hynes. I don’t really see what the big deal is- and after the Scott recruitment I am super nervous about the prospect of having another second string ex Melbourne back come in..... That being said, Papps is the off-contract one you could build a backline around.
Hynes is off contract at the end of this year whereas Paps isn't til the end of next year. But I guess the main factor is that you'd be paying $1mil+ for Paps but you could probably get Hynes for $500k or so a year.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

If we're going for Hynes we need to hurry the **** up and get on him. Broncos will be all over him once Reynolds is done.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: May 12, 2021, 3:12 pm If we're going for Hynes we need to hurry the **** up and get on him. Broncos will be all over him once Reynolds is done.
Reynolds is done and Hynes won't be far off...
You can already feel it right?...you know what's coming.....if your like me your dreading it....
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Yep can feel it. Onto our second, third etc choices
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I can't see the reason for the Hynes hype either. I've watched nearly all their games since he came into grade and think he's handy but he certainly doesn't stand out. He is also playing in the best football system in the NRL. A place where guys like Reimis Smith, George Jennings and Brenko Lee look good immediately.

Thinking Hynes would come in and fix our woes is setting ourselves up for massive disappointment. As much as CNK isn't a ball-player, this would not be an upgrade overall.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Since when has the chooks forum been the gospel? Lol

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: May 12, 2021, 2:37 pm

Hynes is off contract at the end of this year whereas Paps isn't til the end of next year. But I guess the main factor is that you'd be paying $1mil+ for Paps but you could probably get Hynes for $500k or so a year.
The main factor is we have no chance of obtaining Paps. He's not moving.
We have some chance of obtaining Hynes.

But concerns about the Storm guys are fair. Thinking you can get what Bellemy gets out of someone is always fraught with danger.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Botman wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote: May 12, 2021, 2:37 pm

The main factor is we have no chance of obtaining Paps. He's not moving.
We have some chance of obtaining Hynes.

But concerns about the Storm guys are fair. Thinking you can get what Bellemy gets out of someone is always fraught with danger.
He said that on 360 the other night.

If they don't fit his culture he doesn't have second thoughts about moving them on

Case in point Curtis Scott

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I've gone back and watched a bit of Hynes now, and I'm confident he's got the right ability with or without Bellamy. Plays straight, nice soft hands, engages the line, sums up numbers well.

Whether we can bring all that to the fore on a consistent basis and then help him to reach new levels is another thing. If we're insistent on playing block after block, with slow or non-existent off the ball movement, and garbage outside backs to feed off him, chances of that are fairly slim.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Nicho Hynes was on Matty Johns' new show the other week. I thought he was really impressive, and the story recounted Craig Bellamy saying something like... have to sign him... never seen a young player work so hard as his off season training camp, and handle the coffee chat so well (as I recall).

I thought Nicho was really impressive in the interview too.

* Note... he's at the fake surf facility in Melbourne, as Melbourne has no surf!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Kurt Capewell would be an interesting signing. Covers a few positions on game day. Doesn't set the world on fire more than a few games a year but you'd be expecting the pay to match that.
Defense can be an issue at times so maybe I've already talked myself out of it.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I'd be careful signing players from Panthers, if it's being done under the guise that they're all very talented individually - especially their forwards. Man for man I think we'd outrank them easily, but as a unit with the way they work, they've got it all over us.

Very much seem a team that's greater than the sum of their parts.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It's his origin performances that originally had me interested more than his Panthers work. Watching him go up a gear that I didn't think he had. I think at the Panthers he can get caught sitting back because there's other players that are playing the dominant role and he's just supporting that role.
Given our current situation maybe that's exactly reason enough to avoid the signing and just treat Kris as our Capewell.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

afgtnk wrote: May 13, 2021, 2:28 pm I'd be careful signing players from Panthers, if it's being done under the guise that they're all very talented individually - especially their forwards. Man for man I think we'd outrank them easily, but as a unit with the way they work, they've got it all over us.

Capewell did look pretty good for QLD playing out of position. He's a good, versatile player. Don't think he's a product of the Panthers system.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

He's another one of those Bronco's juniors that they let walk out the door, only to attempt to sign them later on...
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

afgtnk wrote: May 13, 2021, 2:28 pm I'd be careful signing players from Panthers, if it's being done under the guise that they're all very talented individually - especially their forwards. Man for man I think we'd outrank them easily, but as a unit with the way they work, they've got it all over us.

Capewell was killing it at the Sharks also
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Brenko linked with the Broncos.

Are we going to sign someone for next year, or rely on the current old, unfit and slow mob? I haven't seen us linked to anyone, particularly a back.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 13, 2021, 7:30 pm Brenko linked with the Broncos.

Are we going to sign someone for next year, or rely on the current old, unfit and slow mob? I haven't seen us linked to anyone, particularly a back.
We are building a couple of super strong/super fast hombres in the lab.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: May 13, 2021, 7:30 pm Brenko linked with the Broncos.

We may sign someone
We may not

Brenko Lee is not relevant to that situation.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Broncos after Hynes
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

sprintman wrote: May 13, 2021, 10:54 pm Broncos after Hynes
If they do pick up Hynes then I think we should look at bringing Isaako over but for a spot on the wing. Could potentially push for an early release and get him here this year.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I like Issako but I doubt he leaves Brisbane to play on the wing elsewhere...
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Lol we ain't getting anyone apart from some clubs reserve grades scraps
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

I think there is merit in aiming for guys who can't crack the first 13..
I'd look at Tyronne May and Liam Martin from the Pamfers...although I suspect that Liam will be promoted to the starting side when they let Capewell join the broncos..
Luffto
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Pigman

Post by Luffto »

Oh there absolutely is, but we'll pick up a bloke who has played 5 games for Broncos on the wing, or some trash
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

GreenMachine wrote:I think there is merit in aiming for guys who can't crack the first 13..
I'd look at Tyronne May and Liam Martin from the Pamfers...although I suspect that Liam will be promoted to the starting side when they let Capewell join the broncos..
No way they're letting Liam Martin go, he's a gun

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Jayden Su'a is an option if we think Tapine isn't going to be around long term...
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

GreenMachine wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:59 am Jayden Su'a is an option if we think Tapine isn't going to be around long term...
hes an option anyway. we need a better edge backrower
Dont delete this GE
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

simo wrote: May 14, 2021, 11:04 am
GreenMachine wrote: May 14, 2021, 10:59 am Jayden Su'a is an option if we think Tapine isn't going to be around long term...
hes an option anyway. we need a better edge backrower
I agree.