2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who will win?

Raiders 13+
13
52%
Raiders 1-12
11
44%
Draw
1
4%
Tigers 1-12
0
No votes
Tigers 13+
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 25

User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5311
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BJ »

-TW- wrote:Middle was about 18%, 42% left, 40% right

Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
It’s even better result for our middles if you look at tries conceded (not just percentage split). Some of the teams with better percentages for their middle such as Bulldogs and Cowboys were more a case of being terrible defensively out wide.

What surprised me was we were better in the middle defensively in 2020 than we were in 2019.
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8751
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by afgtnk »

-TW- wrote: March 10, 2021, 4:58 pm Middle was about 18%, 42% left, 40% right

Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for putting up.

Turns out then that percentage wise we were better in the middle last season, debunking the previous claim.

Also no surprise that we by far and away scored the most tries percentage wise through the middle.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Posts: 4130
Joined: July 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer
Location: The Land of Lime Green

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by raiderskater »

It does seem crazy to me that it will be almost exactly a year to the day since everything went properly to ****.

The cancellation of the Grand Prix set off a chain of TNT that finally triggered some action.

I remember sitting at work in my jersey, wondering if I could go to the game that night...if there was going to be a game that night.

I felt almost uneasy in the crowd that evening. It was spooky.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24371
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 5:33 pm
-TW- wrote: March 10, 2021, 4:58 pm Middle was about 18%, 42% left, 40% right

Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for putting up.

Turns out then that percentage wise we were better in the middle last season, debunking the previous claim.

Also no surprise that we by far and away scored the most tries percentage wise through the middle.
Those percentages are exactly as I would expect. As I said, our edge defence was shocking at times, so I would obviously expect more tries to be conceded in those zones, relative to the middle. Sorry if that's a bit hard for you to comprehend. It's not rocket science.

Where tries are conceded is not the only measure of how your defence stacks up.

We also conceded a lot of ground through the middle during the season, but most teams did at times. Any opposition worth their salt in attack was always going to exploit our edge defence when in position to do so.
User avatar
luffraider
Glenn Lazarus
Posts: 385
Joined: August 30, 2010, 5:32 pm
Favourite Player: Fensom

2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by luffraider »

Luffto wrote:
luffraider wrote: March 9, 2021, 7:17 pm
RaiderDavo wrote:
Botman wrote:
RaiderDavo wrote: March 9, 2021, 5:13 pm Hey, unfortunately we are going to miss the game this weekend because we’ll be up on the Gold Coast. Where on the Goldy do Raiders fans go and watch the game?
The Cut at Benowa
Thanks for that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve had beers with some of the GH members at the pub at Broadbeach mall.

It’s been done up recently though and haven’t checked it out yet
Oi, who the **** are you and why did you steal my lastname?
I’m your daddy, show some respect
User avatar
T_R
Don Furner
Posts: 16216
Joined: August 4, 2006, 9:41 am
Location: Noosa

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by T_R »

raiderskater wrote: March 10, 2021, 5:55 pm It does seem crazy to me that it will be almost exactly a year to the day since everything went properly to ****.

The cancellation of the Grand Prix set off a chain of TNT that finally triggered some action.

I remember sitting at work in my jersey, wondering if I could go to the game that night...if there was going to be a game that night.

I felt almost uneasy in the crowd that evening. It was spooky.
Yeah, I was at a QLD Reds game, the day before the first lockdown and restrictions this time last year. Was very, very weird.
What a complete **** of a year it has been :(
Image

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
User avatar
-TW-
Mal Meninga
Posts: 32596
Joined: July 2, 2007, 11:41 am

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by -TW- »

I was at the Brumbies on the sunday arvo, and everyone knew what was coming.

There was a very eeery feeling around the place

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8751
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 6:36 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 5:33 pm
-TW- wrote: March 10, 2021, 4:58 pm Middle was about 18%, 42% left, 40% right

Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for putting up.

Turns out then that percentage wise we were better in the middle last season, debunking the previous claim.

Also no surprise that we by far and away scored the most tries percentage wise through the middle.
Those percentages are exactly as I would expect. As I said, our edge defence was shocking at times, so I would obviously expect more tries to be conceded in those zones, relative to the middle. Sorry if that's a bit hard for you to comprehend. It's not rocket science.

Where tries are conceded is not the only measure of how your defence stacks up.

We also conceded a lot of ground through the middle during the season, but most teams did at times. Any opposition worth their salt in attack was always going to exploit our edge defence when in position to do so.
You claimed we definitely leaked more in the middle last year.

We didn't - neither through the percentages or aggregrate. Your claim was proven false.

It's not rocket science.
User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3631
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Lui_Bon »

afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 6:36 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 5:33 pm
-TW- wrote: March 10, 2021, 4:58 pm Middle was about 18%, 42% left, 40% right

Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for putting up.

Turns out then that percentage wise we were better in the middle last season, debunking the previous claim.

Also no surprise that we by far and away scored the most tries percentage wise through the middle.
Those percentages are exactly as I would expect. As I said, our edge defence was shocking at times, so I would obviously expect more tries to be conceded in those zones, relative to the middle. Sorry if that's a bit hard for you to comprehend. It's not rocket science.

Where tries are conceded is not the only measure of how your defence stacks up.

We also conceded a lot of ground through the middle during the season, but most teams did at times. Any opposition worth their salt in attack was always going to exploit our edge defence when in position to do so.
You claimed we definitely leaked more in the middle last year.

We didn't - neither through the percentages or aggregrate. Your claim was proven false.

It's not rocket science.
I don't understand the stats you are both arguing about - 18% v 82% seems a bit conclusive. And surely the percentage is a function of the aggregate? Or am I slow?
User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3631
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Lui_Bon »

T_R wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:37 pm
raiderskater wrote: March 10, 2021, 5:55 pm It does seem crazy to me that it will be almost exactly a year to the day since everything went properly to ****.

The cancellation of the Grand Prix set off a chain of TNT that finally triggered some action.

I remember sitting at work in my jersey, wondering if I could go to the game that night...if there was going to be a game that night.

I felt almost uneasy in the crowd that evening. It was spooky.
Yeah, I was at a QLD Reds game, the day before the first lockdown and restrictions this time last year. Was very, very weird.
What a complete **** of a year it has been :(
Walking back to the car from the Titans game in Rd 1 last year was weird - yes we won, but surely that was going to be it before the apocalypse. Lucky the beer queues were shorter after that!
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8751
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by afgtnk »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:53 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 6:36 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 5:33 pm
-TW- wrote: March 10, 2021, 4:58 pm Middle was about 18%, 42% left, 40% right

Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for putting up.

Turns out then that percentage wise we were better in the middle last season, debunking the previous claim.

Also no surprise that we by far and away scored the most tries percentage wise through the middle.
Those percentages are exactly as I would expect. As I said, our edge defence was shocking at times, so I would obviously expect more tries to be conceded in those zones, relative to the middle. Sorry if that's a bit hard for you to comprehend. It's not rocket science.

Where tries are conceded is not the only measure of how your defence stacks up.

We also conceded a lot of ground through the middle during the season, but most teams did at times. Any opposition worth their salt in attack was always going to exploit our edge defence when in position to do so.
You claimed we definitely leaked more in the middle last year.

We didn't - neither through the percentages or aggregrate. Your claim was proven false.

It's not rocket science.
I don't understand the stats you are both arguing about - 18% v 82% seems a bit conclusive. And surely the percentage is a function of the aggregate? Or am I slow?
In 2020, 18% of the tries we conceded were through the middle.

In 2019, 19% of the tries we conceded were through the middle.

Therefore, we didn't 'leak more through the middle' last season.
Last edited by afgtnk on March 10, 2021, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3631
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Lui_Bon »

1992 wrote: March 9, 2021, 10:40 pm
BadnMean wrote: March 9, 2021, 8:14 pm
1992 wrote: March 9, 2021, 4:32 pm If we lose an outside back I would put Wighton there and Hodgson to 7 with Havili at 9.

Wests have a decent team but our forwards and bench in particular should monster them.

If our centres have good years than the team will be in a prelim again.
That was my first thought. But then we've rejigged our entire spine and put the best hooker in the business and the Dally M 5/8 both out of position just to cover an outside back.

It'd have to be Young to centre and Havilii or Sutton to the edge. Leave that spine as it is.
Losing an outside back with no backup is a rare occurrence.
Only reason why I brought it up.
Surely the assumption is that Whitehead covers either center or 5/8? Preferably a big slow center?
User avatar
Lui_Bon
David Furner
Posts: 3631
Joined: June 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Lui_Bon »

afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:56 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:53 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 6:36 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 5:33 pm

Thanks for putting up.

Turns out then that percentage wise we were better in the middle last season, debunking the previous claim.

Also no surprise that we by far and away scored the most tries percentage wise through the middle.
Those percentages are exactly as I would expect. As I said, our edge defence was shocking at times, so I would obviously expect more tries to be conceded in those zones, relative to the middle. Sorry if that's a bit hard for you to comprehend. It's not rocket science.

Where tries are conceded is not the only measure of how your defence stacks up.

We also conceded a lot of ground through the middle during the season, but most teams did at times. Any opposition worth their salt in attack was always going to exploit our edge defence when in position to do so.
You claimed we definitely leaked more in the middle last year.

We didn't - neither through the percentages or aggregrate. Your claim was proven false.

It's not rocket science.
I don't understand the stats you are both arguing about - 18% v 82% seems a bit conclusive. And surely the percentage is a function of the aggregate? Or am I slow?
In 2020, 18% of the tries we conceded were through the middle.

In 2019, 19% of the tries we conceded were through the middle.

Therefore, we didn't 'leak more through the middle' last season.
Ah ok thanks. Clearly our middle defence is the least of our worries then...
User avatar
gergreg
Ricky Stuart
Posts: 9195
Joined: June 24, 2008, 4:22 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by gergreg »

Lui_Bon wrote:
afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:46 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 6:36 pm
afgtnk wrote: March 10, 2021, 5:33 pm
-TW- wrote: March 10, 2021, 4:58 pm Middle was about 18%, 42% left, 40% right

Image

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks for putting up.

Turns out then that percentage wise we were better in the middle last season, debunking the previous claim.

Also no surprise that we by far and away scored the most tries percentage wise through the middle.
Those percentages are exactly as I would expect. As I said, our edge defence was shocking at times, so I would obviously expect more tries to be conceded in those zones, relative to the middle. Sorry if that's a bit hard for you to comprehend. It's not rocket science.

Where tries are conceded is not the only measure of how your defence stacks up.

We also conceded a lot of ground through the middle during the season, but most teams did at times. Any opposition worth their salt in attack was always going to exploit our edge defence when in position to do so.
You claimed we definitely leaked more in the middle last year.

We didn't - neither through the percentages or aggregrate. Your claim was proven false.

It's not rocket science.
I don't understand the stats you are both arguing about - 18% v 82% seems a bit conclusive. And surely the percentage is a function of the aggregate? Or am I slow?
I think it would be interesting to also see what segment of the field line breaks occur. For example - It is possible that line breaks occurred in the middle and then the outside men closed in and shut down the line break. (We all know that CNK is pretty damn good defensively.) As a result, on the following play the opposition shifted wide and scored through the edges.

I'm not at all saying this is what happened but it's difficult to tell a full story with a single set of data.

That being said, from the eye test I'd guess the majority of line breaks also occurred on the edges.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
User avatar
zim
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8753
Joined: July 8, 2015, 3:38 pm
Favourite Player: Past: Brett Mullins
Present: Elliot Whitehead
Location: Sydney

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by zim »

Lui_Bon wrote: March 10, 2021, 8:57 pm
1992 wrote: March 9, 2021, 10:40 pm
BadnMean wrote: March 9, 2021, 8:14 pm
1992 wrote: March 9, 2021, 4:32 pm If we lose an outside back I would put Wighton there and Hodgson to 7 with Havili at 9.

Wests have a decent team but our forwards and bench in particular should monster them.

If our centres have good years than the team will be in a prelim again.
That was my first thought. But then we've rejigged our entire spine and put the best hooker in the business and the Dally M 5/8 both out of position just to cover an outside back.

It'd have to be Young to centre and Havilii or Sutton to the edge. Leave that spine as it is.
Losing an outside back with no backup is a rare occurrence.
Only reason why I brought it up.
Surely the assumption is that Whitehead covers either center or 5/8? Preferably a big slow center?
Whitehead definitely covers 5/8. Generally for center I'd look at Young or CHN as a touch more mobile. If you got desperate you can play Wighton at centre in defense. Everyone just moves out one then. Attack still looks the same.
We've got plenty of room to move out there with these short term problems.
User avatar
BJ
Ruben Wiki
Posts: 5311
Joined: February 2, 2007, 12:14 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by BJ »

I think most judges would think we are stronger defensively through the middle than out wide.

We’ve certainly improved through the middle compared to the likes of Boyd and Paulo who were often found out.

Our goal line defence is often first class. Papa, Lui, Soliola and the backs Wighton and CNK are particularly good on the line (Tapine was much better in 2020 than previous too).
User avatar
1992
David Furner
Posts: 3830
Joined: April 24, 2011, 4:08 pm
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by 1992 »

Worried about this game, as Wests have a decent roster.
We will have a better season then them.

These are games we have to win.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24371
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Seiffert82 »

gergreg wrote: March 10, 2021, 9:22 pm I think it would be interesting to also see what segment of the field line breaks occur. For example - It is possible that line breaks occurred in the middle and then the outside men closed in and shut down the line break. (We all know that CNK is pretty damn good defensively.) As a result, on the following play the opposition shifted wide and scored through the edges.

I'm not at all saying this is what happened but it's difficult to tell a full story with a single set of data.

That being said, from the eye test I'd guess the majority of line breaks also occurred on the edges.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Exactly. Leaking defence is about way more than where the opposition crosses the tryline.


This was my earlier post on the matter, when comparing our 2020 defence to 2019...
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 1:36 pm Yeah, we definitely leaked more in the middle - which I mostly attribute to the changes. Our defence on the edges sucked at times though, which had more to do with the form of certain players, the introduction of rookies and others playing out of position.
Captain tedious then uses a try scoring comparison to claim our middle defence was better last season than in 2019 because the percentage of tries we conceded in the middle was slightly lower in 2020. Can I just say, that the chart also tells me the Cowboys middle defence only conceded 15% of their tries - therefore based on those stats, I can only assume Captain Dingleberry's conclusion must also be that the Cowboys middles are better than ours. News flash...that chart gives us a relative percentage of where tries are scored. It doesn't tell us anything more about a team's defense. **** me.

Firstly, we conceded an average of 16.7ppg last year compared to 15.1ppg in 2019, so on the whole our defence across the park was a bit worse. That's not overly surprising.

I also said our defence out wide sucked at times last year. In comparison to last season we clearly conceded many more breaks down the edges right where Scott and Rapana played. It's no surprise the relative percentage of tries scored against us increased in that area - particularly on the right. I didn't need a chart to know that. The fact that this happened tells us nothing about the quality of our defence in the middle - other than it was relatively better than our ordinary defence out wide.

Now, I couldn't care less if Ernie Numbnuts doesn't think our defence in the middle leaked a bit more last season...those leaks consisting of linebreaks, tries, offloads, whatever...my original point is that Stuart will be looking for the entire team to again lift it's defense across the park. Including the middle...and especially out wide.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on March 10, 2021, 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Posts: 916
Joined: March 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Hazza »

Who's our goalkicker with Crokes out? Apologies if already covered. Haven't read through the whole thread.
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135048
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Hazza wrote: March 10, 2021, 10:36 pm Who's our goalkicker with Crokes out? Apologies if already covered. Haven't read through the whole thread.
George Williams.
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135048
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Forward thinking: Canberra Raiders jam-packed with quality options

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart was scratching around for middle forwards by the end of last season but his squad is jam-packed heading into 2021.

"It was a hard decision; Tommy did a great job for us last year filling in for Josh, as did Liva," Stuart said. "Liva can play every position in the forwards, he's been working as an edge back-rower, he's been working at lock, he's been working at front row and also at hooker. He gives me great utility value but both boys will be used right throughout the year.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/10/for ... y-options/

VIDEO: Stuart previews season opener: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... on-opener/
Image
User avatar
afgtnk
Bradley Clyde
Posts: 8751
Joined: April 7, 2007, 1:45 am

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by afgtnk »

Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 10:35 pm
gergreg wrote: March 10, 2021, 9:22 pm I think it would be interesting to also see what segment of the field line breaks occur. For example - It is possible that line breaks occurred in the middle and then the outside men closed in and shut down the line break. (We all know that CNK is pretty damn good defensively.) As a result, on the following play the opposition shifted wide and scored through the edges.

I'm not at all saying this is what happened but it's difficult to tell a full story with a single set of data.

That being said, from the eye test I'd guess the majority of line breaks also occurred on the edges.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Exactly. Leaking defence is about way more than where the opposition crosses the tryline.


This was my earlier post on the matter, when comparing our 2020 defence to 2019...
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 1:36 pm Yeah, we definitely leaked more in the middle - which I mostly attribute to the changes. Our defence on the edges sucked at times though, which had more to do with the form of certain players, the introduction of rookies and others playing out of position.
Captain tedious then uses a try scoring comparison to claim our middle defence was better last season than in 2019 because the percentage of tries we conceded in the middle was slightly lower in 2020. Can I just say, that the chart also tells me the Cowboys middle defence only conceded 15% of their tries - therefore based on those stats, I can only assume Captain Dingleberry's conclusion must also be that the Cowboys middles are better than ours. News flash...that chart gives us a relative percentage of where tries are scored. It doesn't tell us anything more about a team's defense. **** me.

Firstly, we conceded an average of 16.7ppg last year compared to 15.1ppg in 2019, so on the whole our defence across the park was a bit worse. That's not overly surprising.

I also said our defence out wide sucked at times last year. In comparison to last season we clearly conceded many more breaks down the edges right where Scott and Rapana played. It's no surprise the relative percentage of tries scored against us increased in that area - particularly on the right. I didn't need a chart to know that. The fact that this happened tells us nothing about the quality of our defence in the middle - other than it was relatively better than our ordinary defence out wide.

Now, I couldn't care less if Ernie Numbnuts doesn't think our defence in the middle leaked a bit more last season...those leaks consisting of linebreaks, tries, offloads, whatever...my original point is that Stuart will be looking for the entire team to again lift it's defense across the park. Including the middle...and especially out wide.
:lol:

I'm going to give you a hot tip here - when you fall behind, don't keep trying to argue your way out of it. There's no dishonour in having your ego hurt and quietly letting one go. You're trying to make out like your point was about something else, spinning it off in a thousand different directions

You made a claim. You clearly had based the claim on nothing but your own eyes, since the numbers came back and proved the claim definitively incorrect. Our middle defence was more leaky in 2019 than 2020, contrary to your claims. Trying to base the argument on PPG is flawed, because it fails to take into consideration the changing nature of the comp as a whole from year to year and relativity to other sides - i.e. if the game were to see more points scored across the board in a particular year, like through a bunch of rule changes for example, an increased figure may only be in line with that rise. If PPG decreased as a whole and we increased, then it's cause for concern.

The graphs presented are representations of 100% of the tries scored against the team. The edge percentage being much higher does not indicate that your edge defence is leaky and needs to be fixed, as if it's a bad thing - it is a graph illustrating all tries scored against you, and you're always going to concede tries, regardless of how many. You want the percentage conceded on the edges to be much higher. It increases the difficulty of the conversion attempt by the opposing team. If you reduce the percentage on the edges, where does that then go? **** me dead.

As for the claim 'we clearly conceded many more breaks down the edges right where Scott and Rapana played', it'd be nice to see if you've based this on some sort data that it's measured in ..... or perhaps you're just flat out making **** up. Again.
Peter Garrett
Alan Tongue
Posts: 619
Joined: September 9, 2007, 1:56 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Peter Garrett »

Has there been sufficient hate generated for the new home strip for us to permanently revert to the heritage jerseys for home games? I don't get why they like to mess with the traditional look so much...probably the same people that thought adding a black and yellow V was a good idea back in the OzEmail days.
User avatar
Raider Azz
Jason Croker
Posts: 4225
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:22 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Raider Azz »

Peter Garrett wrote: March 11, 2021, 6:32 am Has there been sufficient hate generated for the new home strip for us to permanently revert to the heritage jerseys for home games? I don't get why they like to mess with the traditional look so much...probably the same people that thought adding a black and yellow V was a good idea back in the OzEmail days.
The home jersey looks great, and they will wear all three jerseys throughout the season but I firmly believe the heritage will get the most use this year anyway
User avatar
Raiders_Pat
Dean Lance
Posts: 894
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Raider Azz wrote: March 11, 2021, 9:00 am
Peter Garrett wrote: March 11, 2021, 6:32 am Has there been sufficient hate generated for the new home strip for us to permanently revert to the heritage jerseys for home games? I don't get why they like to mess with the traditional look so much...probably the same people that thought adding a black and yellow V was a good idea back in the OzEmail days.
The home jersey looks great, and they will wear all three jerseys throughout the season but I firmly believe the heritage will get the most use this year anyway
home jerseys are trash tbh
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135048
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

The NRL makes you keep your home jersey design for three years... or they used to anyway. I personally think it looks great, but in any case it's probably going to be around for quite a while.
Image
User avatar
Raider Azz
Jason Croker
Posts: 4225
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:22 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Raider Azz »

Raiders_Pat wrote: March 11, 2021, 10:25 am
Raider Azz wrote: March 11, 2021, 9:00 am
Peter Garrett wrote: March 11, 2021, 6:32 am Has there been sufficient hate generated for the new home strip for us to permanently revert to the heritage jerseys for home games? I don't get why they like to mess with the traditional look so much...probably the same people that thought adding a black and yellow V was a good idea back in the OzEmail days.
The home jersey looks great, and they will wear all three jerseys throughout the season but I firmly believe the heritage will get the most use this year anyway
home jerseys are trash tbh
Image
User avatar
greeneyed
Don Furner
Posts: 135048
Joined: January 7, 2005, 4:21 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by greeneyed »

Signed, sealed, delivered: Sebastian Kris’ journey back to the NRL

Having made his NRL debut in 2019, Kris made the difficult decision to step away from the game heading into the 2020 season and worked as a courier in the south of Canberra – a job which he credits for helping him mature but also his improved fitness.

“I like to think that’s where a lot of my fitness started, running parcel from house to house,” Kris said. “It was simple, it was money in the bank, and I think I needed that just to restart.”

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... o-the-nrl/
Image
User avatar
Raiders_Pat
Dean Lance
Posts: 894
Joined: July 24, 2016, 8:11 am
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: March 11, 2021, 10:35 am The NRL makes you keep your home jersey design for three years... or they used to anyway. I personally think it looks great, but in any case it's probably going to be around for quite a while.
Are you sure about this? I thought our jersey design slightly changed each year over the past few years, although most changes were minor, from memory. To be fair, they look better in person than when I saw them for the first time online but I'm just not a fan of the navy blue on the shoulders.
User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7884
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Azza »

Raider Azz wrote: March 11, 2021, 10:39 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: March 11, 2021, 10:25 am
Raider Azz wrote: March 11, 2021, 9:00 am
Peter Garrett wrote: March 11, 2021, 6:32 am Has there been sufficient hate generated for the new home strip for us to permanently revert to the heritage jerseys for home games? I don't get why they like to mess with the traditional look so much...probably the same people that thought adding a black and yellow V was a good idea back in the OzEmail days.
The home jersey looks great, and they will wear all three jerseys throughout the season but I firmly believe the heritage will get the most use this year anyway
home jerseys are trash tbh
Image
No, he really isn't.
User avatar
Raider Azz
Jason Croker
Posts: 4225
Joined: January 7, 2005, 10:22 pm

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Raider Azz »

Azza wrote: March 11, 2021, 2:00 pm
Raider Azz wrote: March 11, 2021, 10:39 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: March 11, 2021, 10:25 am
Raider Azz wrote: March 11, 2021, 9:00 am
Peter Garrett wrote: March 11, 2021, 6:32 am Has there been sufficient hate generated for the new home strip for us to permanently revert to the heritage jerseys for home games? I don't get why they like to mess with the traditional look so much...probably the same people that thought adding a black and yellow V was a good idea back in the OzEmail days.
The home jersey looks great, and they will wear all three jerseys throughout the season but I firmly believe the heritage will get the most use this year anyway
home jerseys are trash tbh
Image
No, he really isn't.
Image
User avatar
Azza
Steve Walters
Posts: 7884
Joined: February 16, 2005, 10:12 am

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Azza »

*Yawn*.
User avatar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Posts: 24371
Joined: March 17, 2007, 12:24 pm
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Seiffert82 »

afgtnk wrote: March 11, 2021, 12:42 am
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 10:35 pm
gergreg wrote: March 10, 2021, 9:22 pm I think it would be interesting to also see what segment of the field line breaks occur. For example - It is possible that line breaks occurred in the middle and then the outside men closed in and shut down the line break. (We all know that CNK is pretty damn good defensively.) As a result, on the following play the opposition shifted wide and scored through the edges.

I'm not at all saying this is what happened but it's difficult to tell a full story with a single set of data.

That being said, from the eye test I'd guess the majority of line breaks also occurred on the edges.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Exactly. Leaking defence is about way more than where the opposition crosses the tryline.


This was my earlier post on the matter, when comparing our 2020 defence to 2019...
Seiffert82 wrote: March 10, 2021, 1:36 pm Yeah, we definitely leaked more in the middle - which I mostly attribute to the changes. Our defence on the edges sucked at times though, which had more to do with the form of certain players, the introduction of rookies and others playing out of position.
Captain tedious then uses a try scoring comparison to claim our middle defence was better last season than in 2019 because the percentage of tries we conceded in the middle was slightly lower in 2020. Can I just say, that the chart also tells me the Cowboys middle defence only conceded 15% of their tries - therefore based on those stats, I can only assume Captain Dingleberry's conclusion must also be that the Cowboys middles are better than ours. News flash...that chart gives us a relative percentage of where tries are scored. It doesn't tell us anything more about a team's defense. **** me.

Firstly, we conceded an average of 16.7ppg last year compared to 15.1ppg in 2019, so on the whole our defence across the park was a bit worse. That's not overly surprising.

I also said our defence out wide sucked at times last year. In comparison to last season we clearly conceded many more breaks down the edges right where Scott and Rapana played. It's no surprise the relative percentage of tries scored against us increased in that area - particularly on the right. I didn't need a chart to know that. The fact that this happened tells us nothing about the quality of our defence in the middle - other than it was relatively better than our ordinary defence out wide.

Now, I couldn't care less if Ernie Numbnuts doesn't think our defence in the middle leaked a bit more last season...those leaks consisting of linebreaks, tries, offloads, whatever...my original point is that Stuart will be looking for the entire team to again lift it's defense across the park. Including the middle...and especially out wide.
:lol:

I'm going to give you a hot tip here - when you fall behind, don't keep trying to argue your way out of it. There's no dishonour in having your ego hurt and quietly letting one go. You're trying to make out like your point was about something else, spinning it off in a thousand different directions

You made a claim. You clearly had based the claim on nothing but your own eyes, since the numbers came back and proved the claim definitively incorrect. Our middle defence was more leaky in 2019 than 2020, contrary to your claims. Trying to base the argument on PPG is flawed, because it fails to take into consideration the changing nature of the comp as a whole from year to year and relativity to other sides - i.e. if the game were to see more points scored across the board in a particular year, like through a bunch of rule changes for example, an increased figure may only be in line with that rise. If PPG decreased as a whole and we increased, then it's cause for concern.

The graphs presented are representations of 100% of the tries scored against the team. The edge percentage being much higher does not indicate that your edge defence is leaky and needs to be fixed, as if it's a bad thing - it is a graph illustrating all tries scored against you, and you're always going to concede tries, regardless of how many. You want the percentage conceded on the edges to be much higher. It increases the difficulty of the conversion attempt by the opposing team. If you reduce the percentage on the edges, where does that then go? **** me dead.

As for the claim 'we clearly conceded many more breaks down the edges right where Scott and Rapana played', it'd be nice to see if you've based this on some sort data that it's measured in ..... or perhaps you're just flat out making **** up. Again.
Stop wasting my time champ.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Posts: 46237
Joined: June 25, 2012, 9:53 am
Favourite Player: Hodgo
Location: Rockhampton, Central Queensland

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by The Nickman »

Hahaha you two are the BEST!
Image
2012 Golden Boogs Newbie of the Year
2013 'Nella Awards Best Punter
2013 Boogs Thread of the Year ~ The Betting Thread
2014 Boogs Matthew Elliott Award Winner
2014 Boogs some award with Hanbush
Green Blogger
Sam Backo
Posts: 185
Joined: March 15, 2014, 6:04 pm
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Green Blogger »

IS IT SUNDAY YET????????
Post Reply