Tigers 13+
No votes

Total votes: 25

IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by IBG »

So it appears that the Raiders held a Jersey sponsor event today to thank all the Jersey sponsors for the upcoming year, and interestingly, they took photos of each Jersey number with players who will likely wear those numbers. See below link:

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... sor-event/

If I've got my detective hat on, then below is the likely Round 1 team:

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker / Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Ryan James

Yes I know, I have too much time on my hands and likely reading way too much into it, but 4 interesting takeaways for me:

- Havili was #14 not Starling (they could have swapped in the #9 photo but I think this backs up the theory that while Starling is a better #9, Havili is a better fit for the #14).

- Interesting that HSS was viewed as a winger and not a centre.

- Lui played most of the year as #10, does Sia being in the photo at #10 confirm he will start the year like he did in the trial?

- I feel like bench of Guler / Sutton / James is pretty set based on the photos. It is a great bench.
daley6
David Grant
Favourite Player: campo

Post by daley6 »

So looks like Curtis Scott will be marking Joey Leulua in rd 1 , red bj has lost 10 kgs and has swapped sides to accommodate jimmy the jet, good test for Scott rd 1
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Would Lui really be dropped for Rd1, or is he injured?

Can't believe that would happen straight up...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

IBG wrote:So it appears that the Raiders held a Jersey sponsor event today to thank all the Jersey sponsors for the upcoming year, and interestingly, they took photos of each Jersey number with players who will likely wear those numbers. See below link:

https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/03 ... sor-event/

If I've got my detective hat on, then below is the likely Round 1 team:

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker / Seb Kris
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Sia Soliola
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Emre Guler
16. Ryan Sutton
17. Ryan James

Yes I know, I have too much time on my hands and likely reading way too much into it, but 4 interesting takeaways for me:

- Havili was #14 not Starling (they could have swapped in the #9 photo but I think this backs up the theory that while Starling is a better #9, Havili is a better fit for the #14).

- Interesting that HSS was viewed as a winger and not a centre.

- Lui played most of the year as #10, does Sia being in the photo at #10 confirm he will start the year like he did in the trial?

- I feel like bench of Guler / Sutton / James is pretty set based on the photos. It is a great bench.
I was thinking the same dunno if it means a lot though

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Looks like a finish from a right winger if I'm not mistaken.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: March 4, 2021, 12:30 pm Looks like a finish from a right winger if I'm not mistaken.
All signs point to him wearing the 5 and Simo the 2 as well, so why did he play on the right in the trial?

Are we swapping our 2's and 5's back again to be odd/odd even/even this season?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I'm just looking forward to Leipana being opposite each other. Tigers are going to score a try from Raps coming in to take BJs head off. But it will be glorious.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: March 4, 2021, 12:59 pm I'm just looking forward to Leipana being opposite each other. Tigers are going to score a try from Raps coming in to take BJs head off. But it will be glorious.
Will they though? Looks like Raps is going to still be played out of position on the left, and now Joey has been moved to the left too.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

He's on the right in the training photo above that I was replying to..... you havin an echo chamber mate?
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: March 4, 2021, 3:37 pm He's on the right in the training photo above that I was replying to..... you havin an echo chamber mate?
You didn't see my next post?
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

I think I misunderstood the point you were making. You meant Simonsson played on the right in the 2?
I'm preferring to take the training photo as the only evidence as it is what I want to see :).
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

zim wrote: March 4, 2021, 3:49 pm I think I misunderstood the point you were making. You meant Simonsson played on the right in the 2?
I'm preferring to take the training photo as the only evidence as it is what I want to see :).
I didn't see the trial, but from all reports Jordy was on the left with Simo on the right... despite their numbers.

So what's happening, zim? Huh? You tell me!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: March 4, 2021, 3:52 pm
zim wrote: March 4, 2021, 3:49 pm I think I misunderstood the point you were making. You meant Simonsson played on the right in the 2?
I didn't see the trial, but from all reports Jordy was on the left with Simo on the right... despite their numbers.

So what's happening, zim? Huh? You tell me!
Regarding what happened in the trial that's correct.
Since then it's pretty obvious the raiders coaching staff has read the outcry from TheGH and decided they made a mistake and Jords is now training on the right in preparation for a season of Scopana. There is no other explanation. :hmmm
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Sounds like the most likely explanation. We've done some great things over here on TheGH, forcing Rapana back to the right, the Raiders back into the Heritage jersey, and apparently Rupert Murdoch is about to back down and stop promoting the Liberal Party and undermining our democracy!
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Don't forget how they added a Raiders NSW cup team. That was all us too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: March 4, 2021, 4:26 pm Don't forget how they added a Raiders NSW cup team. That was all us too.
And it only took us 14 years! But we were right all along!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bailey Simonsson happy to wing it for Canberra Raiders

Bailey Simonsson was given time at fullback in last weekend's trial - and he enjoys playing there - but he sees the wing as his best spot to help the Green Machine charge. He also played right wing last Saturday.

"For this team at the moment wing's definitely my best position," he said. "We've got Charnze there, who is in my opinion one of the best fullbacks in the game. So wings my best spot here."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Much more diplomatic than last time he was asked but still can't help getting that little hint in :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Looks like he'll play on the right, zim... Strike Three old friend!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I still don't fully understand why Bailey was on the right wing... I can only think it is because Ricky would want to pair an experienced winger with a rookie centre on the left, assuming Jarrod Croker is not fit. If Croker is fit, Simonsson has to be on the left, Rapana in his rightful position on the right wing.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

greeneyed wrote: March 4, 2021, 4:45 pm I still don't fully understand why Bailey was on the right wing... I can only think it is because Ricky would want to pair an experienced winger with a rookie centre on the left, assuming Jarrod Croker is not fit. If Croker is fit, Simonsson has to be on the left, Rapana in his rightful position on the right wing.
Agreed, it's absolutely ludicrous otherwise.

And it should be that way despite whether or not Croker plays... you need to back your players.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

The Nickman wrote: March 4, 2021, 4:44 pm Looks like he'll play on the right, zim... Strike Three old friend!
Boooo :nooo
Scomo on the right just doesn't have the same ring to it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders co-captain Josh Hodgson reveals why he’s standing by a banned agent and how Sticky will rotate Canberra’s hookers

Canberra captain Josh Hodgson has launched a passionate defence of his manager Isaac Moses, while offering suggestions as to how his side might rotate their forward pack in 2021.

“You’d have to ask the boss how that’s going to work,” he said. “I have played a bit of loose forward back in the day. Not the ball-running type, more the ball-playing type. There’s always an option there.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 134799102b
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

2 is meant to be right winger tbh.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sorry Josh, Isaac Moses has been a blight on rugby league for a long time. The NRL should have banned his company entirely from any dealings with the game given what Moses has done.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

greeneyed wrote:Sorry Josh, Isaac Moses has been a blight on rugby league for a long time. The NRL should have banned his company entirely from any dealings with the game given what Moses has done.
Yep. Moses is a fraudulent EDIT who has created issues for the game as a whole.

Reminds me of the people who say EDIT.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

julian87 wrote: March 4, 2021, 8:28 pm
Does the 3 or the 4 go on the right?
5, 3, 7, 11 then 2, 4, 6, 12?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

3 is meant to be right centre

But we play 2 and 3 on the left and 4 and 5 on the right.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by The Nickman »

julian87 wrote:
Hasn’t been for Canberra for years. We used to play odd/odd even/even (so 3 and 5 on the left, 2 and 4 on the right), but they changed a good five or so years ago

As long as I can remember, Leilua and Rapana were 4 and 5 on the right with Croker and Lee/Cotric as 2/3

Which is why I said earlier I wonder if they’re switching back to the old system this year
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

With this talk of left and right - I'm with all those who'd rather Rapana on the right wing. I find it bizarre that he wouldn't be. I'd also prefer the versatile Whitehead on the right (he has performed at a high level on both sides) as I feel Young is more dangerous on the left.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Footy is next week... i can hardly beleive it
THis **** sneaks up on me every year.

Pumped for 2021. This could be the one, boys and girls. It really could. We've got some potential problem areas but we're also very talented and deep this year
Feeling good
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: March 5, 2021, 5:32 am
julian87 wrote:
Hasn’t been for Canberra for years. We used to play odd/odd even/even (so 3 and 5 on the left, 2 and 4 on the right), but they changed a good five or so years ago

As long as I can remember, Leilua and Rapana were 4 and 5 on the right with Croker and Lee/Cotric as 2/3

Which is why I said earlier I wonder if they’re switching back to the old system this year
It drives me crazy because the Raiders are the team i watch the most and in detail, obviously
But it always had me confused about other teams because of it... i always have to replay a try in my mind before i can be sure who plays on what side for other teams because we **** everything up jersey numbers wise
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jarrod Croker to make early call on Wests Tigers

If Jarrod Croker's shoulder's not ready by Monday, Jarrod Croker will make the early call not to play. And the Raiders centre has anointed Sebastian Kris as the young gun likely to take his place if he's not ready.

"I probably won't know until Monday. We do screening every couple of days and I'll let it rest over the weekend, see how it pulls up, screen on Monday," Croker said.

Corey Horsburgh vows to repay the faith after being found guilty of low drink driving

It was an honest mistake and one Corey Horsburgh's paying for now. But the Canberra Raiders fiery prop has vowed to make amends for the embarrassment he's caused his club and family.

"It was an honest mistake. I thought I waited long enough, but obviously I didn't and I'm paying the price now," he said. "It could affect the start of my year. If I have to play NSW Cup, I'll put my best foot forward and hopefully get myself back in the team."

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

How a pandemic, a coach and a Christmas dinner made the Canberra Raiders a family

Canberra Raiders prop Ryan Sutton has revealed the pandemic forced the team to become a family over the off-season.

“He invited all the players over for a big Christmas family dinner,” Sutton told Peter Psaltis. “It just shows a lot about the kind of person he is. He’s not just a coach. He’s a person that actually cares about your feelings.

AUDIO: https://www.4bc.com.au/how-a-pandemic-a ... -a-family/