Post by gerg »

Also agree with IBG's team.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2020 Rd 1 V Tigers: Teams and Previews

Post by greeneyed »

I don't think I agree with IBG's team, but I'll post about that in TGE.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

gergreg wrote: February 27, 2021, 8:31 pm Also agree with IBG's team.

he was tough on Lui (who I have criticised in the past, but has been great last 1/2 season), and soft on Havilii (who is an ok hooker, but is only average in that loose forward role imo)
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Boomercm wrote:
gergreg wrote: February 27, 2021, 8:31 pm Also agree with IBG's team.

he was tough on Lui (who I have criticised in the past, but has been great last 1/2 season), and soft on Havilii (who is an ok hooker, but is only average in that loose forward role imo)
I only watched the first half of the roosters trial. It looked like Ricky's best 17, or at least a trial run for the 17 he will pick for round 1. Our depth means that some good players will miss out. I'm sure Ricky is drumming into the team that every player will play a role this year.

On Havili, he gives the team a bit more versatility than Starling. I don't expect Hodgson to play 80 minutes early in the year so Starling might get a bench spot early in the year, but once Hodgson's minutes are up Havili can play a role as a middle forward as well. Havili's little darts out of dummy half aren't quite as sharp as Starlings, but still pretty good. Havili's strength IMO is that he rarely gets dominated in the ruck and he plays the ball very quickly.

The most pleasing thing from yesterday's trial was seeing Hodgson hit a few gaps, and back himself.

A quality middle is going to miss out, every week with this team. Sutton killed it last year. He was smashing out 100+ metres every week and was very hard to contain. But like you say Lui is possibly hard done by. As usual he didn't let anybody down last year. In the past two years there has been speculation he won't be named in rd 1, because of trial form and competition for spots but he's always named. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is in the 17.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

I largely agree with the IBG team. Kris is the surprise out of yesterday - he has clearly come back and performed well at training and will be in the Round 1 team if Croker is unavailable.

I think Starling gets the bench spot ahead of Havili. Starling played much better than Havili yesterday. Whilst Hodgson can play long minutes, prior to injury he was getting rested in the middle period of the game and also often moving to 13 late in games to play a third ball player. We have plenty of forward who can play big minutes so having Havili on the bench to spell them is not a big factor. The key for me is that when Starling is on he has the ability to win a game for us in a short period of time. Havili is a solid player but does not give the same ability to break a game open.

We are playing to win, put the players out there who will win games.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I agree with IBG’s team, but I think Rapana will be named again on the left, not the right, which I must add is sheer insanity
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

He certainly didn't look comfortable finishing on the left last year, missed a couple of chances that you'd think he would have gobbled up on the right.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I don’t like a couple of things about the team listed there.

1. I don’t think one good trial from James sees him oust Lui. Lui starts with Papalii imo. And Guler is the next middle picked. James v Soliola in his 16th season is an interesting question though. With a NSW Cup team I think we’ll see a bit of rotation of players between the bench and reserve grade this year.

2. Kris did well yesterday. But to play I think he’d have to be given the 30th first grade spot? I know that sort of spot often just goes to the best available player but I don’t think the squad needs a 5th out and out centre. The 4 already contracted + the 3 spare fullbacks and wingers should be enough cover really. If Kris is able to cover second row it’s a different story but considering Havili and Sutton played big minutes there yesterday I don’t think that’s a thing.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Is it at all possible both Kris and Hopoate makes the top 30 team and someone already listed drops out, or does it not work that way ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As I recall we’ve been fooled before on Stuart not playing Lui in a trial. Thought he might have been on the outer... Round 1 he was starting.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:As I recall we’ve been fooled before on Stuart not playing Lui in a trial. Thought he might have been on the outer... Round 1 he was starting.
It looked like Royce Hunt was going to be a smokey for round 1 that year

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Sid wrote: February 28, 2021, 1:51 pm Is it at all possible both Kris and Hopoate makes the top 30 team and someone already listed drops out, or does it not work that way ?

Nope. Once you’re a top 30 contracted player you’re paid at least NRL top tier minimum wage and can’t be ousted until that contract finishes.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: February 28, 2021, 1:51 pm Is it at all possible both Kris and Hopoate makes the top 30 team and someone already listed drops out, or does it not work that way ?

Not sure... but the Raiders have declared to the NRL 29 players are in the top 30 (and at least on minimum salary for an NRL player). Can’t see how they’d have space in the cap for that... unless a top 30 player is released.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Sid wrote:Is it at all possible both Kris and Hopoate makes the top 30 team and someone already listed drops out, or does it not work that way ?

Development players can play after round 11 anyway

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

reckon there is a good chance Ricky runs with a bench of 2 props, Havili and Starling. Speed in the ruck is going to be so important this season
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

With the game being sped up we will see rotations in forwards throughout the season; plus injuries.
Will not be reading anything into our round one team.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I think Soliola might miss out here. Sutton looked good and I reckon James played himself into a bench role.

I'd probably be starting Lui or Guler with Papa. I also thought HSS looked better than Kris on the whole, but happy either way if Croker's not fit.
Last edited by Seiffert82 on February 28, 2021, 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

-TW- wrote: February 28, 2021, 2:16 pm
Sid wrote:Is it at all possible both Kris and Hopoate makes the top 30 team and someone already listed drops out, or does it not work that way ?

Development players can play after round 11 anyway

Yep. This is why I think it could possibly be jumping the gun to use the 30th spot on Kris to fill a spot for 1-4 weeks when you’ve got perfectly capable blokes there in HSS and Timoko.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Belcher#1 wrote:reckon there is a good chance Ricky runs with a bench of 2 props, Havili and Starling. Speed in the ruck is going to be so important this season
I don’t think there’s much of a chance of that at all, it’ll be one or the other in the 14
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The Nickman wrote:
Belcher#1 wrote:reckon there is a good chance Ricky runs with a bench of 2 props, Havili and Starling. Speed in the ruck is going to be so important this season
I don’t think there’s much of a chance of that at all, it’ll be one or the other in the 14
Which will probably be Havili, seeing he can be used in the forwards rotation.

Starling might get 20mins if he's lucky

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

First game of the season and a potentially hot day. Definitely have to play Starling to give us some strike power at tired Tiger forwards.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Green Blogger wrote: February 28, 2021, 10:50 am I largely agree with the IBG team. Kris is the surprise out of yesterday - he has clearly come back and performed well at training and will be in the Round 1 team if Croker is unavailable.

I think Starling gets the bench spot ahead of Havili. Starling played much better than Havili yesterday. Whilst Hodgson can play long minutes, prior to injury he was getting rested in the middle period of the game and also often moving to 13 late in games to play a third ball player. We have plenty of forward who can play big minutes so having Havili on the bench to spell them is not a big factor. The key for me is that when Starling is on he has the ability to win a game for us in a short period of time. Havili is a solid player but does not give the same ability to break a game open.

We are playing to win, put the players out there who will win games.
Uwotm8?

Hodgson played every minute of the games he played last season, bar the one he got injured in: https://www.raiders.com.au/teams/telstr ... h-hodgson/

I don't recall him playing as a forward late in the game for years either. Maybe by injury you mean back to before the first major one he had here, so if so, I think that ship has long sailed. He's got no business carting the ball up like a middle now.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Think the last time he played 13 in a game would've been 2016 when we had Baptiste on the bench.

A whole 5 seasons ago

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote:
The Nickman wrote:
Which will probably be Havili, seeing he can be used in the forwards rotation.

Starling might get 20mins if he's lucky

Yeah, I’d lean towards Havili too
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

8 papa
9 hodgo
10 lui
13 tap
15 guler
16 james
17 sutton
i think theres easily enough minutes there. the 14 jersey will come down to what ricky wants out of it. does he want the option to rest hodgo, cover backs, chase points or further rotate the middles. i think early on havilli gives the greatest option of resting hodgo or keeping middles fresh
Dont delete this GE
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

My thoughts;

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker / Matt Timoko
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Ryan James
16. Emre Guler
17. Sia Soliola

I've been really high on James when we signed him, and that trial only confirmed my feelings. But upon reflection, I would ease him back in. If everything goes the way I hope it does with the progression of the young players this year, then Lui ends up on the bench and pending injuries, out of the 17 come end of the year. But right now, he absolutely deserves to keep his spot.
Come mid year, i'd have Papa and James to start, with Hors and Guler off the bench. Either way, that's my rotation. I think this is Lui's last year with us.

Timoko is a dynamic ball runner and I like the way he is able to feed his winger with unselfish play. He is my pick for an open Centre spot.

Speculation; But i think CHN is on the outer. Ricky knows when he doesn't have to cop **** anymore, and with this roster there's no room for that. For a bloke to go high range in his position of building trust back shows how epically dumb he is. I would of had him as my 2nd rower with Hudson playing a roming role, but that's dead now. Hudson is going to make that spot his, and I see very little chance of him giving it up.
Hudson Young is the kind of footballer that Ricky has fallen in love with his whole coaching career, and it's happening again. Ricky has a type.
CHN is going to have to be dynamic off the bench this year and solid in defence, or he'll be onto his next club by the end of the year.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

2. Bailey Simonsson
3. HSS
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan James
16. Emre Guler
17. Ryan Sutton

This about I reckon it'll line up.

HSS looked sharp in the trial and lined up on that side. Good defensively which might get him the nod.

Sia never looks too bad with the ball, but I just thought he's half a step behind getting across for his covers. Not that I think he went bad either, I just like what Sutton brings.

Lui is always in the 17 starting the year. He's won umpteen coaches awards and he just played Origin. He'll be there. He's earned it.

James looked good to go. I guess he'd swallow his pride and muck in at reggies if he was asked but I don't think that's why he's here and he looked good to me.

I went with Starling as I think we need to see that the game has sped up and Starling is tailor made for it. Guler and Sutton can both play plenty of minutes, James will need plenty too. So even if Starling only plays 15-20 mins he can make an impact. Might be prudent to manage Hodgo early and there's no reason we can't run with 2 hookers if need be, given both our halves are runners first.
Last edited by BadnMean on March 1, 2021, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

BadnMean wrote: March 1, 2021, 9:07 am 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. HSS
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan James
16. Emre Guler
17. Ryan Sutton
I think that's really close. I would go with HSS at centre, but putting Kris into the starting line up in the trial is a signal from the coach. I also suspect Sia Soliola is going to be there for either Guler or Sutton.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

greeneyed wrote: March 1, 2021, 9:59 am
BadnMean wrote: March 1, 2021, 9:07 am 1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad
2. Bailey Simonsson
3. HSS
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Joe Tapine

14. Tom Starling
15. Ryan James
16. Emre Guler
17. Ryan Sutton
I think that's really close. I would go with HSS at centre, but putting Kris into the starting line up in the trial is a signal from the coach. I also suspect Sia Soliola is going to be there for either Guler or Sutton.
wouldnt be shocked either, but sutton has so many more minutes in him than sia in case a forward goes down injured or fatigue sets in earlier than expected.
Dont delete this GE
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

2. Bailey Simonsson
3. Jarrod Croker / Sebastian Kris / HSS
4. Curtis Scott
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. George Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Hudson Young
12. Elliot Whitehead
13. Joseph Tapine

14. Siliva Havili
15. Ryan Sutton
16. Emre Guler
17. Ryan James

Similar to a few of the posts above.
Left centre is entirely on Croker. If he's fit he plays. If Kris is allowed he plays. Otherwise HSS who was the pick of the younger players in the trial.
Timoko has not played on the left in any of the games he's had for us in first grade or trials. Scott has the right locked down.

Any of the backup hookers coming on to replace hodgo will make an impact but if we cop an injury Havili can still cover a middle spot and someone can push out wider if needed. That's more important earlier in the season. Later on you can either have Hodgo for 80 or just be comfortable that someone like a Sutton can push out an extra 40mins.

Sutton really needs to get those dropsies out of his game. They were back in the trial but hopefully it's just blowing out the cobwebs.
I think Soliola is going to play but he misses out in my team as he just doesn't have the impact in attack and defense of some of the other guys picked. He doesn't find the front as much as James and Guler and he doesn't have the defensive stamina of Sutton.
Last edited by zim on March 1, 2021, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Corey Horsburgh cleared of shoulder charges by Match Review Committee

Canberra Raiders forward Corey Horsburgh has been cleared by the Match Review Committee of two shoulder charges that were put on report in the NSW Cup and NRL trial matches at Seiffert Oval on Saturday.

Brisbane Broncos prop Tom Flegler was the only player charged after the weekend's trial matches.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/28/tri ... h-charges/
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Well that's great news. Where the hell are we going to fit them all for round 2.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Yes that is surprising. I didn't have him in my team as I was sure he would be suspended.

IMO you need to pick 2 out of Sutton / Guler / Horse.

And now I'm really not sure which way I'd go.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

greeneyed wrote: March 1, 2021, 10:08 am Corey Horsburgh cleared of shoulder charges by Match Review Committee

Canberra Raiders forward Corey Horsburgh has been cleared by the Match Review Committee of two shoulder charges that were put on report in the NSW Cup and NRL trial matches at Seiffert Oval on Saturday.

Brisbane Broncos prop Tom Flegler was the only player charged after the weekend's trial matches.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/02/28/tri ... h-charges/
I must admit, the incidents happened quite away from where I was sitting, but for the life of me I couldn't understand what he was put on report for.

Good to see the charges get dismissed, but he's obviously got a reputation that is now getting hard to shake.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I was also of the opinion they weren’t shoulder charges (in the usual context).

Hors is known as fiery by the refs and commentators, this can often lead to an overreaction to any tackle out of the norm. I remember Tallis, Geyer, Plumb all being penalised for hard tackles that were 100% legal.