Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh charged with drink driving

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh charged with drink driving

Post by greeneyed »

Corey Harawira-Naera and Corey Horsburgh involved in separate drink driving incidents

Corey Horsburgh and Corey Harawira-Naera have been charged with drink driving over the Christmas holidays and are due to face court cases before the start of the NRL season next month. Coach Ricky Stuart is known to be disappointed with both players but is standing by them. They face internal disciplinary action from the club and the NRL.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 78dad12609

Canberra stars Corey Harawira-Naera and Corey Horsburgh will face court before the NRL season starts after being sprung drink driving in separate incidents over the Christmas break: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-2076997

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 711851c39e

Canberra Raiders club statement

The Canberra Raiders can confirm that both Corey Harawira-Naera and Corey Horsburgh were involved in separate incidents during the Christmas holiday period.

Both incidents were reported directly to the NRL Integrity unit at the time and the club continues to keep them informed of any developments.

As both issues are still pending court matters, the club will not be making further comment.
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh involved in separate off field incidents

Post by IBG »

If it's what I've seen rumoured then it's not the end of the world for both players, although it is incredibly stupid of them and very selfish if true. Not the best way to make an impression on your new team, CHN...
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Harawira-Naera and Horsburgh charged with drink driving

Post by dubby »

:cry:

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Our premiership window is currently being held ajar by a couple of empty VB cans.

CHN - disappointing. He struggled on the field in 2020 and now these types of shenanigans won't endear him any further. He's blessed if he gets that starting second rower spot.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Corey Harawira-Naera pulled over on Christmas Eve, high range. Corey Horsburgh RBT on 3 January, 0.053, low range.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Absolutely selfish and stupid. Doubt it'll stop them from playing round 1.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

Don’t believe everything you read; Word on the street is they were drinking water in between charity events and an undercover NSW Police officer spiked their drinks.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I’m very anti drink driving. Imagine being done for 0.053 though.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

julian87 wrote: February 2, 2021, 12:06 pm I’m very anti drink driving. Imagine being done for 0.053 though.
He probably started crying and flipping him the bird.. thats gonna get a copper ofside.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 2, 2021, 10:57 am
CHN - disappointing. He struggled on the field in 2020 and now these types of shenanigans won't endear him any further. He's blessed if he gets that starting second rower spot.
Yep disappointing. But football alone I disagree with any negative thoughts about his 2020 given the circumstances and I also think it’d be absolutely insane if he’s not a starting second rower.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Just dumb.

Surely they know that's what those bloody scooters are for.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

zim wrote: February 2, 2021, 11:25 am Absolutely selfish and stupid. Doubt it'll stop them from playing round 1.
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Both had issues at their previous clubs before coming to us and I think our club will want to send a pretty firm message.

In the case of Horsburgh, he isn't the first and won't be the last to blow slightly over. He has probably had half a glass too many or got in the car the next morning thinking he has slept it off. I would expect the courts will probably give him a fine and a warning but he won't lose his licence. I am not sure he will be suspended from playing NRL - I think there will be some other punishment.

Harawira-Naera on the other hand I think the NRL will want to send a very strong message especially if it is high range which can't just be passed off as a slight misjudgement. Coming on the back of getting sacked by another club, it is a very bad look and there is no argument this time that whilst morally something might not be right, he didn't do anything illegal. As one of the players I suspect was unable to go back to Sydney for Christmas, he is entitled to let his hair down just before Christmas but no excuse for high range drink driving.

I would be very surprised if he is not suspended and I don't think you could argue it too much.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I’m not sure around the precedents. But.....

I think Horsburgh will cop a fine and a week suspension (maybe include trials and no NRL).

CHN probably looking at heavy fine and a couple of premiership games.

Both have surrendered their positions to other players vying for round 1 due to their off field misbehaviour.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I havent followed it closely enough to remember but has the NRL levied suspensions for DD?
If they have, its probably fair to say CHN if not both will be looking at a league enforced suspensions, if not, i cant see any reason why they'd start with them.

Very disappointing stuff from those boys though. Reckless and stupid actions and they'll get what they deserve for it
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

julian87 wrote: February 2, 2021, 12:16 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: February 2, 2021, 10:57 am
Yep disappointing. But football alone I disagree with any negative thoughts about his 2020 given the circumstances and I also think it’d be absolutely insane if he’s not a starting second rower.
I watched him quite closely in 2018 due to having him on my fantasy team :lol: My conclusion - he's an absolute shocker defensively. Saw enough last year to suggest he hasn't resolved that.

The good news was if you come up with thin air then it doesn't count as a missed tackle on the stats line.
Beejay
John Ferguson

Post by Beejay »

NSW Police have clawed it back 2 - 2 at the death, sending it to golden point
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

What's the turn around time for a DUI court date?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Unbelieveable..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Botman wrote:I havent followed it closely enough to remember but has the NRL levied suspensions for DD?
If they have, its probably fair to say CHN if not both will be looking at a league enforced suspensions, if not, i cant see any reason why they'd start with them.

Very disappointing stuff from those boys though. Reckless and stupid actions and they'll get what they deserve for it
From memory Papa was 1 match suspension for self reporting DUI and Inglis missed 2 weeks for his DUI.
Belcher#1
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Belcher#1 »

I'm calling it now. CHN won't see out his current contract.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Both boys should be punished.

I hate the thought of drink driving and it’s consequences..

But they’ll both be available for selection round 1.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

What a pair of idiots
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

How **** stupid do you have to be - honestly.

In this day and age.

With a public profile.

In a game that has had it's reputation dragged through the mud because of this kinda crap.

Earning a very comfortable living, with an abundance of other transport options available that don't involve you taking the wheel.

If you're planning on even having a sip - DO NOT DRIVE. Absolute dumb *****.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Some of these reactions to the Horsburgh half of the article are ridiculous. He’s as low range you can get. That’s deadset one sip of beer difference to being legally allowed to drive.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

julian87 wrote: February 2, 2021, 3:07 pm Some of these reactions to the Horsburgh half of the article are ridiculous. He’s as low range you can get. That’s deadset one sip of beer difference to being legally allowed to drive.
Mate, over is over. Not good enough.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Bloody idiots. Most similar recent example I can think of is Joe Ofahengaue, stood down internally for 2 weeks after high range drink driving.

Hors is fighting it out with some very high quality, very reliable players and is behind the 8 ball injury-wise already. Assuming he gets a suspension then he gives James or Sutton a sniff at that spot, there's every chance he doesn't get it back.

CHN will have Don and Ricky wondering if he's more trouble than he's worth. He'd be on thin ice. Position-wise he's better placed as I think he was clear #1 choice for the other backrow. If he gets suspended then he gives Young the chance to see if he can carry that late season form from the middle, to the edge. If he does then his superior defence and fitness would leave CHN scrambling for a bench spot. And it's a hotly contested bench where he'd be praying on versatility to save him.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

julian87 wrote: February 2, 2021, 3:07 pm Some of these reactions to the Horsburgh half of the article are ridiculous. He’s as low range you can get. That’s deadset one sip of beer difference to being legally allowed to drive.
It's a pretty simple equation.

If you're drinking - do not drive. At all.

If you've drunk the night before, use a breathalyser to see where you're at roughly. If there's any danger at all, don't drive.

If you don't have a breathalyser, buy one. You should have the money for something to keep yourself from the danger of losing your livelihood, not to mention the risk to other road users.

These guys are public, high profile figures for **** sake. No chances should be taken whatsoever.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

I genuinely don't know how you go from this
julian87 wrote: February 2, 2021, 12:06 pm I’m very anti drink driving.
To this
You don't strike me as someone who sounds "very anti drink driving" at all.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

BJ wrote: February 2, 2021, 2:08 pm
Botman wrote:I havent followed it closely enough to remember but has the NRL levied suspensions for DD?

From memory Papa was 1 match suspension for self reporting DUI and Inglis missed 2 weeks for his DUI.
Seem to remember something like that. Situation where the NRL should let the clubs handle it and step in if they deem the penalty inadequate.

Punishment should reflect the level of indiscretion (i.e. low, mid, high level DUI) and take into account player's track record. Expect Horse to cop a fine and 1 week suspension. CHN could be looking at 3-4 weeks if its high level.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

afgtnk wrote: February 2, 2021, 3:39 pm

If you've drunk the night before, use a breathalyser to see where you're at roughly. If there's any danger at all, don't drive.

If you don't have a breathalyser, buy one. You should have the money for something to keep yourself from the danger of losing your livelihood, not to mention the risk to other road users.

These guys are public, high profile figures for **** sake. No chances should be taken whatsoever.
Agree. Shouldn't even be treading close to the line. Make sure you're well under or don't drive at all.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: February 2, 2021, 4:21 pm
BJ wrote: February 2, 2021, 2:08 pm

Seem to remember something like that. Situation where the NRL should let the clubs handle it and step in if they deem the penalty inadequate.

Punishment should reflect the level of indiscretion (i.e. low, mid, high level DUI) and take into account player's track record. Expect Horse to cop a fine and 1 week suspension. CHN could be looking at 3-4 weeks if its high level.
Nearest comparison I could find was 2020 off season, Joe Ofahengaue (checkered history similar to CHN) for high range, found asleep behind the wheel. Bronco's stood him down for 2 weeks (NRL weeks, not trials) and I don't think NRL came in over the top.

So Raiders may well decide 3-4 and if they don't go at least 2, then the NRL might well come in.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Idiots..both of them.

Luckily for both there idiotness didn’t effect other people’s lives..THIS TIME.

I’ve found myself in situations where a few too many beers has me ringing MrsPJ and getting her to come and get me..leaving my car parked at a mates place or pub etc. Sure she’s filthy angry with me and brushes me for a day or so but hey..

It’s a commonsense decision..

A little bit over is still over..DONT DO IT !!!
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

afgtnk wrote:

You can also download Nickman's app, which basically tells you you're over the limit if you have anything stronger than lemonade.

Makes for a nervous drive home.

Don't drink with Nickman. Not worth it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Chicka Chicka Chicka
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Chicka Chicka Chicka »

2 x Coreys = Double the trouble
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: February 2, 2021, 3:39 pm

Also, these guys have so much money
If in doubt, get a **** uber
I promise you CHN and Hors can afford the $40 round trip to wherever they were headed those days